My latest.

image.png.c0255ccaa4bebac77278f2585fa56e71.png

PTOLEMY I SOTER (306/305-283 BCE)
EGYPT, ALEXANDRIA, SERIES 2D, Subseries i: ca 295-284/283 BCE

Æ Dichalkon
Size: 14 mm
Weight: 2.95 g
Broucheion Collection P-2023-06-01.001

OBV: Alexander the Great, diademmed and horned bare head with long , curly hair, facing right. Dotted border.
REV: Εagle on thunderbolt facing left, wings spread. In left field: HP monogram. Legend: [ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ] - ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ. Solid border.
Refs: Lorber CPE-B79; Svoronos 239, pl viii, 15-16 [17 listed]; HistMusFrankfurt 34.
Prov: From UK eBay.

- Broucheion

Edited by Broucheion
  • Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

A new Caligula "in da house" ...

CALIGULARIC56.jpg.99a882795c553e93ab0837060f04c5f7.jpg

Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus Caligula for Divus Augustus
Dupondius of the Roman Imperial Period 37/41 AD; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 29mm; Weight: 14.26g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC I (second edition) Gaius/Caligula 56; Obverse: Head of Augustus, radiate, left. The Inscription reads: DIVVS AVGVSTVS S C for Divus Augustus, Senatus Consulto (Augustus the divine, by decree of the Senate); Reverse: Gaius Caligula, laureate and togate, seated, left, on curule chair, holding branch in right hand and resting left hand against side. The Inscription reads: CONSENSV SENAT ET EQ ORDIN P Q R for Consensus Senatus Et Equestris Ordinis Populi Que Romani (With the will of the senate, the equestrian order, and the Roman people).

• Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 3

40 minutes ago, Victrix said:

The Triumvirs. Mark Antony. 42 BC. AR Denarius. Military mint traveling with Antony in Greece. Bare head right / Facing head of Sol on disk within distyle temple. Crawford 496/1; CRI 128; Sydenham 1168; RSC 12.

ma.jpg

Nice coin, @Victrix - the portraits of Antony are interesting on these coins issued as Antony headed East towards Philippi.  I have been working my way through Woytek's Arma et Nummi  as I add coins from this period.  My notes are here: https://www.sullacoins.com/post/the-road-to-philippi

MarkAntonySolTemple.jpg.a51aa4c9ceec1afda89133af7b43108d.jpg

Mark Antony, 44-30 BC. Denarius (Silver, 17 mm, 3.74 g, 3 h), military mint moving with Antony in Italy?, 42 BC

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 16
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor

Here are 2 that I picked up last month:

IMG_3051.jpeg.c30eb95ae9dec1e47cb89c50a2d3def6.jpegIMG_3052.jpeg.2904aaa2938b37d9872b7db2ed854bf2.jpeg

Octavian, 30-29 BC, denarius

IMG_3053.jpeg.20ada9e0db78d79f5a3c4b6467df9810.jpegIMG_3054.jpeg.568b87a965c8934ab6e0c499ccf2efde.jpeg

Marc Antony, 40-35 BC, fleet coinage, bronze As, light series

I’ve been unsuccessfully chasing fleet coinage for several years, consistently losing out even though I was bidding what I thought was outrageous amounts. But, finally, I got one!

• Like 17
  • Mind blown 2
  • Heart Eyes 5

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, jdmKY said:

Here are 2 that I picked up last month:

IMG_3051.jpeg.c30eb95ae9dec1e47cb89c50a2d3def6.jpegIMG_3052.jpeg.2904aaa2938b37d9872b7db2ed854bf2.jpeg

Octavian, 30-29 BC, denarius

IMG_3053.jpeg.20ada9e0db78d79f5a3c4b6467df9810.jpegIMG_3054.jpeg.568b87a965c8934ab6e0c499ccf2efde.jpeg

Marc Antony, 40-35 BC, fleet coinage, bronze As, light series

I’ve been unsuccessfully chasing fleet coinage for several years, consistently losing out even though I was bidding what I thought was outrageous amounts. But, finally, I got one!

Congratulations!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally a Commodus coin in an auction in a passable condition - I couldn't resist and bought it yesterday at MDC. Nothing really historically special - but you don't get Commodus coins of pleasant quality that often. Therefore, I am quite satisfied with the purchase.

CRI_177_6a.png.1c207fe9e0c262dd0f2dc9d991f9644f.png

Imperator Caesar Lucius Aelius Aurelius Commodus Augustus
Reign: Marcus Aurelius; Mint: Rome; Date: 177/178 AD
Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17.5mm; Weight: 3.61g

Reference: Yothr.CRI.177.6a; Online: https://yothr.me/cri/yothr-cri-177-6a-commodus-salus/
Reference: Reference: RIC III Marcus Aurelius 654; OCRE Online: http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.3.m_aur.654
Rare: R2; Provenance: MDC Monnaies de Collection, Monaco (Auction 6, Lot 247)

Obverse: Bust of Commodus, laureate, draped, cuirassed, right; Inscription: L COMMODVS AVG; Translation: Lucius Commodus Augustus; Reverse: Salus, draped, seated left on low seat, holding branch in extended right hand and resting left arm on side of seat: in front of her, left, a snake coiling upwards from ground; Inscription: COS P P; Translation: Consul, Pater Patriae; Translation: Consul, father of the nation

• Like 12

Bought this beauty from @maridvnvm in a very pleasant private sale! It's a very historically important issue from Carausius when he was trying to achieve a promotion from Usurper and share power with Diocletian and Maximian. Hence the issue with Diocletian on the obverse and PAX AVGGG (Peace of the three Augusti) on the reverse.

Unfortunately for Carausius, the two emperors were not prepared to let him into the Imperial college. 

This is not my photo, but his is so good I can't help but reuse it.

image.png.6d913fdf51891da0330eda6ab109f37c.png

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

My latest from Numismatik Naumann, 07 May 2023.  Coin of the Eravisci.

Celtic Coins:  EASTERN EUROPE. Imitations of Roman Republican. Eravisci (Mid-late 1st century BC). Denarius. Imitating C. Postumius (73 BC).

Obv: Draped bust of Diana right, bow and quiver on shoulder.

Rev: C POSTVMI / TA.

Hound springing right; below, spear right.

Freeman pl. 29, 24; cf. Crawford 394/1a (for prototype).

Condition: Extremely fine.

Weight: 3.61 g.

Diameter: 21 mm.

The Eravisci struck a series of imitative Republican and Augustan denarii from a limited number of dies, which they reused until they were severely worn.  They were located on the West Bank of the Danube in the area of present Budapest, then called Aquincum.   Their coinage ceased when Rome assumed political control over the area, which became Pannonia Inferior. 

image.png.39d4bfd6e5c82f451439a4620d7e7d35.png

image.png.6bb84822fab4e743aec50d95bcdce130.png

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 3

Two new ladies have come to live with me today, both of them thanks to @lloydchristmas.'

The first, he gave me the heads up about it being posted by Numismatica Prados on vcoins. Finally something that isn't a Spanish button, amirite @DonnaML? 😛 I jumped as quick as possible. This is my first non-Julia Domna Venvs Victrix.
SaloninaAntoninianusVENVSVICTRIX.png.1b7736a7eea3a0d1c5bb39053b711dad.png

Salonina
AR Antoninianus
256-257 AD
Obverse: SALONINA AVG, diademed, draped bust right on crescent
Reverse: VENVS VICTRIX, Venus, naked to waist and seen from back, standing right, leaning left elbow on column, leaning on column, holding palm and apple

The 2nd is an ex: @lloydchristmas and  before that ex: Sonderman Numismatics. 

slazzer-edit-image(58).png.39668a90b36a68dc589f5a6b7bcc2c9a.png

Julia Domna
Denarius
194 AD
Obverse: IVLIA DOMNA AVG, draped bust right
Reverse: VENERI VICTR, Venus standing right, naked to waist, leaning on column to left, holding palm and apple

• Like 11

Yesterday I was able to make a pleasing unexpected purchase for 10 British pounds (about 12 USD). I had only put 10 pounds as a bid at N&N London, but then forgot all about the auction. Until I suddenly received the invoice by email today. Good thing I have another open invoice from N&N, so I can have everything sent to me in one package.

At first I didn't even look at which coin I had bid on. After a little research, I got a "small treasure" for 10 pounds (nothing really valuable, but still, a treasure for a collector). The type has only been sold 4 times in the last 20 years (acsearch). Moreover, there was no entry with a picture at RPC - which I immediately made up for. 

Bildschirmfoto2023-06-13um14_51_53.png.b37bcc2ef62ccd471ed1394455393199.png

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/7373

Now my little darling is also a "Plate Coin" - ok, only online, but it's all about the fun of it 😄 It's just nice to get a cheap coin and then see that it's not common - even if the value is more sentimental. 

CRP_51_6a.png.475c05d4dcda1648b7c70ac63b5c18ac.png

Lucius Aurelius Commodus Caesar Augusti Filius
Reign: Pseudo-autonomous; time of Marcus Aurelius or Commodus; Mint: Antiochia ad Pisidiam, Pisidia
Date: 166/180 AD; Nominal: Bronze; Material: AE; Diameter: 13mm; Weight: 1.60g

Reference: Yothr CRP.51.6a; Yothr Online: https://yothr.me/crp/yothr-crp-51-6a-commodus-antiochia-hercules-hermes/
Reference: RPC IV.3 7373; RPC Online: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/7373
Rare: Specimens 2 (2 in the core collections)
Provenance: N&N Numismatics London, Great Britain (Auction XI, Lot 349)

Obverse: Bust of Hercules/Heracles (bearded) wearing lion skin around neck, left; Inscription: ANTI; Translation: City of Antiochia; Reverse: Draped bust of Mercury/Hermes (head assimilated to portrait of youthful Commodus), right; to left, caduceus; Inscription: COLO; Translation: Colonia [Antiochia]

Antioch in Pisidia (Latin Antiochia ad Pisidiam, also Antiochia Caesarea or Colonia Caesarea) is an ancient city in Asia Minor in presentday Turkey. It is one of several cities founded by Seleucid rulers named Antiochos and named after them. As the boundaries of the Pisidian landscape were drawn differently over time, Antioch was at times not part of Pisidia. Pisidic Antioch was laid out with settlers from Magnesia on a strategic site near presentday Yalvaç. Following the insecurity problems generated by the Homanadensian wars and the death of Amyntas in 25 BC, Augustus commenced the establishment of colonies of legionary veterans in Asia Minor and, especially, in Pisidia. Those colonies provided room for the necessities of the growing veteran population resulting from the Late Republican civil wars and secured the new route called the via Sebaste that connected the Pamphylian coast with the centre of the peninsula. As shown by B. Levick, the site of Antioch played a key role at the end of a route that was also connected with the ancient ‘Royal road’ towards Lycaonia and Cilicia. The main bulk of colonists was detached from legio V Gallica and legio VII as attested by the epitaphs of veterans discovered near Yalvaç, and a series of coins in the reign of Vespasian recording their signa framing an eagle. The exact provenance of these veterans is disputed between Italy, southern France and even Hispania, but the onomastic evidence of Antioch since the foundation of the colony leaves no doubt about their western origin. Antioch in Pisidia quickly developed into one of the most important Roman cities in Asia Minor. As early as the 1st century AD, there is evidence of several senators who came from Antioch.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

Today I received a (apparently) very rare Faustina II Sestertius. An engraver's variety it seems. With my Sestertius, apparently a total of 6 specimens of this variety are known.

But I only know all this thanks to the help of @Roman Collector ! Many thanks for the help!

FAUSTIIRIC0001.jpg.b4403118c0a7f2964e5cf3dc8c2bce42.jpg

Faustina II the Younger under Marcus Aurelius
Sestertius of the Roman Imperial Period 161/165 AD; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 31mm; Weight: 23.57g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC --; BMCRE --; Cohen --; RCV --; MIR 21-6/10b

Obverse: Draped bust of Faustina II, right, with a double strand of pearls in the hair. The Inscription reads: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA for Faustina Augusta (Faustina the venerable); Reverse: Laetitia standing facing, head right, holding vertical scepter in right hand and wreath in left hand. The Inscription reads: LAETITIA S C for Laetitia. Senatus Consultum (Joy. Decree of the senate).

Other known examples limited to:
* Gorny & Mosch Giessener Münzhandlung (Auction 200), 10.10.2011, lot 2612
* Gorny & Mosch Giessener Münzhandlung (Auction 164), 17.3.2008, lot 411
* Auktionshaus H. D. Rauch GmbH (Auction 81), 21.11.2007, lot 426
* MIR (p. 284) cites a specimen in Paris
* Example from Roman Collector

• Like 12
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

1 minute ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Today I received a (apparently) very rare Faustina II Sestertius. An engraver's variety it seems. With my Sestertius, apparently a total of 6 specimens of this variety are known.

But I only know all this thanks to the help of @Roman Collector ! Many thanks for the help!

FAUSTIIRIC0001.jpg.b4403118c0a7f2964e5cf3dc8c2bce42.jpg

Faustina II the Younger under Marcus Aurelius
Sestertius of the Roman Imperial Period 161/165 AD; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 31mm; Weight: 23.57g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC --; BMCRE --; Cohen --; RCV --; MIR 21-6/10b

Obverse: Draped bust of Faustina II, right, with a double strand of pearls in the hair. The Inscription reads: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA for Faustina Augusta (Faustina the venerable); Reverse: Laetitia standing facing, head right, holding vertical scepter in right hand and wreath in left hand. The Inscription reads: LAETITIA S C for Laetitia. Senatus Consultum (Joy. Decree of the senate).

Other known examples limited to:
* Gorny & Mosch Giessener Münzhandlung (Auction 200), 10.10.2011, lot 2612
* Gorny & Mosch Giessener Münzhandlung (Auction 164), 17.3.2008, lot 411
* Auktionshaus H. D. Rauch GmbH (Auction 81), 21.11.2007, lot 426
* MIR (p. 284) cites a specimen in Paris
* Example from Roman Collector

You are very fortunate to have that one!! It is indeed quite rare. All known examples were struck from the same reverse die, but it is paired with at least three different obverse dies. Here's mine (Künker eLive auction 63, lot 35, 30.11.2020):

FaustinaJrLAETITIASCstandingrightsestertius.jpg.454874b1ed23411d47dcb97d63c10e98.jpg

• Like 10
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

A couple rare bronzes of the Sardinian Praetors of 210 and 209 BC that I picked up recently:

20230210145400-4168d522-me(1).png.265d2d3d3242584d33eb290ee00c742a.png

Roman Republic Æ Quadrans. Publius Manlius Vulso, Praetor of Sardinia, 210 BC. Sardinian mint. Head of Hercules right; above, ••• / Prow right; above, ROMA; (MA) vertical to right; ••• below. Crawford 64/5

GridArt_20230611_183007153.jpg.275858ebc43284d30b4b62a247806f60.jpg

Roman Republic Æ Semis(14.05 grams, 27 mm). Caius Aurunculeius Cotta, Praetor of Sardinia, 209 BC. Sardinian mint. Head of Saturn right; behind, S / Prow right; above, S; before AVR monogram; below, ROMA. Crawford 65/3

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, CPK said:

Congrats @Prieure de Sion! In addition to the rarity it's quite a nice example!

You say it's an engraver's variety...what is the "normal" version?

I am not an expert on Faustina II and her coins. I hope I am writing it correctly now - otherwise please ask @Roman Collector to improve me.

My coin (and the other 5 pieces) are Sestertius.

The sestertius looks like this references:
RIC III Marcus Aurelius 1653
RIC III Marcus Aurelius 1654

1944.100.49545.rev.width350.jpg

You see at the sestertius type reverse the wreath in the left field and the scepter in the right field.

But "our" sestertius are designed like the AE As Version of Laetitia:
RIC III Marcus Aurelius 1657
RIC III Marcus Aurelius 1658

large_00670010_001.jpg

In the standard References there is no Laetitia Sestertius Type with scepter in field left and wreath in field right. Only at this six known examples.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2023 at 6:47 PM, Furryfrog02 said:

The first, he gave me the heads up about it being posted by Numismatica Prados on vcoins. Finally something that isn't a Spanish button, amirite @DonnaML? 😛 I jumped as quick as possible. This is my first non-Julia Domna Venvs Victrix.

Nice catch @Furryfrog02 - these bare-bottom Venus issues for Salonina seem to be a bit scarce.  I have two of them, but at least on eBay I've only seen one other example since c. 2018.  

Salonina-Ant.VENUSbehindMar2018andAug2018.jpg.049820c0280c69332e5d60a6039bfa6c.jpg

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

My first love, even above bare bottomed beauties, is Victory. Today This arrived in the mail and I couldn't be happier. I've had several on my vcoins watchlist for awhile but they were always out of my price range. @KenDorney put this guy up for sale the other day and I jumped as quick as I could. It arrived in record time!

I was planning on cutting back with the purchases but I couldn't say "No". 

slazzer-edit-image(55).png.d08e7ab07df5f2d55773961aa0ed8f2a.png

Maxentius
309 - 312 AD
AE Follis
Ostia Mint
Obverse: IMP C MAXENTIVS P F AVG, Laureate head of Maxentius right.
Reverse: VICTORI AETERNA AVG N, Victory advancing left holding wreath and palm, MOSTP in exergue.

• Like 10

Yesterday I got two nice provincial Romans of Commodus again - I especially like the bronze from Ceretapa Diocaesarea, because it is nice and big with almost 36mm - and I love big bronzes. The coins are neither extremely rare nor particularly valuable - but with one coin I liked the size, with the other the reverse with the beautiful horse.

CRP_159_1a.png.c401a74ed063d1e3c0cd3bf9942a5dc1.png

Imperator Caesar Lucius Aelius Aurelius Commodus Augustus
Reign: Marcus Aurelius
Mint: Ceretapa Diocaesarea, Phrygia
Date: probably 176/177 AD, otherwise 176/179 AD
Nominal: Bronze
Material: AE
Diameter: 35mm
Weight: 26.46g

Reference: RPC IV.2 1836
RPC Online: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/1836
Rare: Specimens 5 (2 in the core collections)
Provenance: Concordia Numismatik Tumeltsham, Austria (Auction 5, Lot 458)
Pedigree: –

Obverse: Bare-headed bust of Commodus (youthful) wearing paludamentum, right, seen from front
Translation: Autokrator Kaisaros Lucios Aurelios Kommodos
Translation: Imperator Caesar Lucius Aurelius Commodus

Reverse: To left, emperor (Marcus Aurelius) standing, right, wearing toga, holding scroll; to right, nude Heracles (youthful) standing, left, wearing lion-scalp, resting arm on club, holding lion skin; both clasping hands
Translation: Keretapeon Diokaisareon
Translation: City of Ceretapa Diocaesarea

Ceretapa or Keretapa, also called Diocaesarea or Diocaesareia or Diokaisareia, was a Graeco-Roman town of Phrygia Pacatiana. It minted coins bearing the demonym Κερεταπεύς. The coins also show that there was near it a river or fountain Aulindenus. It was a bishopric with Silvanus representing the city at the Council of Ephesus, 431 AD. No longer the seat a residential bishop, it remains a titular see of the Roman Catholic Church. Its site is tentatively located near Kayadibi in Asiatic Turkey. Coinages from Ceretapa Diocaesarea belong to the rather rare coins. The issue of coins seems to have begun under Antoninus Pius. Then further under Marcus Aurelius, Commodus, as well as a type under Caracalla. I am not aware of any further coins under subsequent emperors. Hercules seems to have been a popular motif on the reverse, initially (under Antoninus Pius) as a pair with Zeus, then later – as here on the coin – the god-father Zeus is replaced by the emperor (Marcus Aurelius). Under Caracalla, an issue with Dionysus on the reverse appeared out of sequence.

CRP_292_1a.png.4bcbabbe1042e911104a62fcebb7a087.png

Imperator Caesar Lucius Aelius Aurelius Commodus Augustus Pius Felix
Reign: Commodus, under Lucius Aemilius Iustus (legatus Augusti pro praetore)
Mint: Hadrianopolis, Thrace
Date: 191/192 AD
Nominal: Bronze
Material: AE
Diameter: 27.5mm
Weight: 13.09g

Reference: RPC IV.1 10558
Reference: Jurukova 116
RPC Online: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/10558
Rare: Specimens 2 (1 in the core collections)
Provenance: Concordia Numismatik Tumeltsham, Austria (Auction 5, Lot 386)
Pedigree: –

Obverse: Laureate head of Commodus, right
Translation: Autokrator Kaisaros Lucios Aurelios Komodos Antoninos
Translation: Imperator Caesar Lucius Aurelius Commodus Antoninus

Reverse: Emperor on horseback, right, holding sceptre
Translation: Hegemon Aimilios Ioustous Adrianopoleiton
Translation: Legatus Augusti pro praetore Aemilius Iustus, City of Hadrianopolis

Comment: Hadrianopolis, or Adrianople, is known today as Edirne. With just under 170,000 inhabitants, today’s city is the westernmost large city in Turkey. It is located in the Bulgarian-Greek-Turkish border triangle, in Eastern Thrace, the European part of Turkey. At the same time, it is also the centre of the central county (Merkez). Edirne was for a time the capital of the Ottoman Empire and is today the administrative centre of the province of the same name. In its history, it bore the names Odrysai (Thracian), Orestia (ancient Greek) and, as mentioned, Hadrianopolis (Latin, city of Hadrian). Edirne is an ancient city, the first settlements are said to have existed as early as the 5th millennium BC. The city has had various names in its history. In its pre-Roman times, it was known as Odrysia, probably in reference to the Thracian tribe of Odrysians, or Uscudama, and belonged to Thrace. Odrysia was the capital of the Odrysian Empire from the 5th to the 3rd century BC. Between 171 BC and 168 BC, the area was occupied by the Romans. During his reign, Augustus renounced the conquest of Thrace and thus also of the city. Thrace was not conquered until the reign of Emperor Claudius. Hadrian ordered the city to be rebuilt and expanded around 125 AD and gave it the name Hadrianopolis (City of Hadrian). In 378 AD, the Romans under Emperor Valens were defeated there by the Goths (Battle of Adrianople). In 395 AD, the city became the centre of the Roman province of Haemimontus. The city was the seat of the Archbishopric of Hadrianopolis in Haemimonto, which still lives on today as a titular bishopric of the Roman Catholic Church. The oldest buildings are the ruins of the Roman city walls with a Byzantine tower, the Macedonian Tower (Makedon Kulesi in Turkish).

Lucius Aemilius Iustus was Roman governor of the province of Thracia between 188 and 192 AD. As governor, he held the title “legatus Augusti pro praetore” – although there were differences here. If there were two or more legions in the province, the legate had to have held the consular office. His title was then translated into Greek as hypateuon (from hypatos = consul). Also called consular legate. However, if there was only one legion in the province, as an exception someone could also be appointed imperial legate who had not yet been consul, but only praetor. His title was translated in Greek as hegemon (as can be seen here on the coin). This was then the praetor legate.

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

To follow up on the very first Roman coin depicting a temple (see my post at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/4293-roman-republican-86-m-volteius-cr-3851-first-depiction-of-a-temple-on-a-roman-coin/#comment-53313 ), here's another one, this time a Roman Imperial coin depicting the Temple of Roma:

Philip I AR Antoninianus, 248 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Radiate, draped, & cuirassed bust right, IMP PHILIPPVS AVG / Rev. Hexastyle temple with statue of seated Roma on pediment in center, holding long scepter in left hand and [unidentified object] in upraised right hand, SAECVLVM NOVVM [ = new century or era]. 22x25 mm., 2.90 g. RIC IV-3 25b, RSC IV 198, Sear RCV III 8963 (ill. p. 154). Purchased from CGB.fr., June 2023.*

image.png.bee5c986bb5e7d2bdf0eac4ed84fac54.png

*This type, together with the SAECVLARES AVGG types issued the same year in the names of Philip I, Philip II, and Otacilia Severa, “belongs to the extensive series, in all metals, commemorating the celebration in AD 248 of the thousandth anniversary of Rome’s founding.” Sear RCV III p. 153. As Sear also explains (see id. p. 154), “This is a simplified depiction of the temple of Roma, part of Hadrian’s remarkable double-temple of Venus and Roma completed under Antoninus Pius in AD 141."

___

The large oval flan extending beyond the circular beading on the borders reminds me of this antoninianus of Otacilia Severa, Philip's wife, also 22x25 mm. (AD 246-248, RIC IV-3 125(c), RSC IV-3 4, Sear RCV III 9147 (ill. p. 173).) Presumably just a coincidence, unless Philip's regime represented the beginning of the carelessness with flans so prevalent later in the 3rd Century (viz. Gallienus, etc.).

image.png.f5ccdbc92128da28057e35dc35e23599.png

___

Taking my SAECVLARES AVGG coins into account, plus one other coin with an elephant reverse attributed to the same year and the commemoration of Rome's 1,000th anniversary, I think I have more ancient coins issued in AD 248 -- a total of 10 -- than in any other single year:

Philip I AR Antoninianus, 248 AD, Rome Mint, 1st Officina. Obv. Radiate, draped, & cuirassed bust right, IMP PHILIPPVS AVG/ Rev. Lion walking right, SAECVLARES AVGG; I in exergue.  RIC IV-3 12, RSC IV 173, Sear RCV III 8956 (ill.). 23 mm., 3.41 g. (Games commemorating 1,000th anniversary of founding of Rome.)

image.jpeg.a432f91a1f3986be772c76ad41ea43c3.jpeg

Philip I AR Antoninianus, 248 AD, Rome Mint, 2nd Officina. Obv. Radiate, draped, & cuirassed bust right, IMP PHILIPPVS AVG/ Rev. She-wolf standing left, suckling twins Romulus and Remus, SAECVLARES AVGG; II in exergue. RIC IV-3 15, RSC IV 178, Sear RCV III 8957 (ill.). 22.75 mm., 4.72 g.  (Games commemorating 1,000th anniversary of founding of Rome.)  Purchased from Marc Breitsprecher, ex Madroosi Collection (Joe Blazick).

image.jpeg.3836126924652fb16d78343dc65259c6.jpeg

Philip II, Caesar AR Antoninianus, 248 AD, Rome Mint, 3rd Officina. Obv. Radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right, IMP PHILIPVS AVG/ Rev. Moose [North American term for northern European elk]* standing left, SAECVLARES AVGG, III in exergue. RIC IV-3 224, RSC IV 72, Sear RCV III 9275 (ill.). 22 mm., 4.33 g., 12 h. (Games commemorating 1,000th anniversary of founding of Rome.)

image.jpeg.cebefa90415bc2cd00515c35d6b825a5.jpeg

* See Sear RCV III at p. 187: "The animal on the reverse has traditionally been identified as a goat, but cf. John Twente in 'The Celator,' Jan. 2002, p. 38. There seems little likelihood of the common goat having been featured as one of the exotic animals in the arena, whereas the northern European elk (North American moose) would have been a most suitable candidate."

Otacilia Severa (wife of Philip I) AR antoninianus AD 248, Rome mint, 4th Officina. Obv. Draped bust right, wearing stephane, crescent behind shoulders, OTACIL SEVERA AVG/ Rev. Hippopotamus standing right, jaws open, SAECVLARES AVGG; IIII in exergue. RIC IV-3 116(b), RSC IV-3 63, Sear RCV III 9160 (ill.). 23 mm., 4.52 g. (Games commemorating 1,000th anniversary of founding of Rome.)

image.jpeg.753ce9f7ebe56e234cc45cca66ead188.jpeg

Philip I AR Antoninianus, 248 AD, Rome Mint, 5th Officina. Obv. Radiate, draped, & cuirassed bust right, IMP PHILIPPVS AVG/ Rev. Stag walking right, SAECVLARES AVGG; V in exergue.  RIC IV-3 19, RSC IV 182, Sear RCV III 8958.  22 mm., 4.32 g.  (Games commemorating 1,000th  anniversary of founding of Rome.)

image.jpeg.d40982b532b92da42f6f5d91cfc7a77b.jpeg

Philip I AR Antoninianus, 248 AD, Rome Mint, 6th Officina. Obv. Radiate, draped, & cuirassed bust right, IMP PHILIPPVS AVG / Rev. Antelope standing left, SAECVLARES AVGG; VI in exergue. RIC IV-3 21, RSC IV 189, Sear RCV III 8959.  22 mm., 3.54 g.  (Games commemorating 1,000th  anniversary of founding of Rome.)

image.jpeg.47b0655b6803e86daa5fa711e908621b.jpeg

Philip I AR Antoninianus, 248 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Radiate, draped, & cuirassed bust right, IMP PHILIPPVS AVG / Rev. Stone cippus inscribed COS | III in two lines, SAECVLARES AVGG. RIC IV-3 Philip I 24(c), RSC IV 193, Sear RCV III 8961 (ill. p. 154).  23 mm., 4.15 g., 6 h. (Part of series issued in connection with games commemorating 1,000th anniversary of founding of Rome.)*

image.jpeg.e882c87706f8681828476b9291cd6f45.jpeg

*A cippus was a low stone column, usually square but sometimes round (as here), used for various purposes including as boundary stones and “to preserve the memory of some event.” See https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Cippus
(noting “those cippi which commemorate the Secular Games”). 

This Philip I elephant antoninianus is also generally believed to have been issued in AD 248 (even though it does not bear the SAECVLARES AVGG legend):

Philip I AR Antoninianus, ca. 247/48 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Radiate, draped, & cuirassed bust right, IMP PHILIPPVS AVG/ Rev. Elephant walking left, bearing driver holding goad, AETERNITAS AVGG. RIC IV-3 58, RSC IV 17, Sear RCV III 8921. 23 mm., 4.2 g.  (Issued in connection with 1,000th anniversary of founding of Rome.)

image.jpeg.08065b9c768229ec943bea1e93fa71b6.jpeg

Philip I AE Sestertius, 248 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG / Stag walking right, SAECVLARES AVGG; S C in exergue. RIC IV-3 160a (p. 89), Sear RCV III 9012. 27x29 mm., 16 g. (Games commemorating 1,000th anniversary of founding of Rome.)

image.jpeg.f8b40c9136be87b07b9b7e92b3aaa290.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

• Benefactor

I got a slip in my mailbox on Tuesday asking for a signature for an international item. Surely my new Probus piece. I filled out the form, signed it, and left it in the mailbox. The mail carrier left two pieces of mail yesterday but not the item. I inquired at the postal station was told that they don't re-deliver until the signature is received at the office because so many folks drive to the post office to pick up int'l items in person, so surely it will be delivered today.

• Benefactor

Here is the coin as photographed upon arrival today, google pixel 6 pro:

Probus 276 - 282 C.E. 

AE Antoninianus

VIRTVS PROBI AVG, Helmeted bust left with radiate crown, spear over shoulder and shield with 3 rows of troops

CONSERVAT AVG, Sol standing left nude but for chamlys holding globe in left hand, right hand raised in acclamation.

Mintmark T XXI (Ticinum) most of silvering present. 

ex - @Barnaba6 collection...June 2023, like RIC 353, but different shield type (unlisted?)

prob1.jpg.b9e89dae9df0e445d2bddaba2a687350.jpg

prob2.jpg.b3feb46bf30069e76b3dd3e8f61b4794.jpg

• Like 15

217-218 Macrinus AE coin Provincial Antioch. Macrinus never spent time in Rome during his reign. He was in Antioch the whole duration of his reign. Even though it is worn I like this coin a fair amount. Not super rare either surprisingly for an emperor who only ruled for a year. 

0D4FAD3D-339C-486A-BD77-8651AC8495E1.jpeg

821D6B8F-3069-4C8D-9A94-53D273E22926.jpeg

• Like 12

6YrHmx7Ee4AiPy9233Kmyf9RzFf58Y.jpg.6b57a2ff94e3e7bf0f7d3185cb6ad60b.jpg

My first didrachm and  Ptolemy coinage;

I bought it because I really like the bust.

Ptolemaic Kings. Ptolemy VI Philometor (second sole reign, 163-145 BC). AR didrachm (20mm, 6.49g). Uncertain Cypriot mint. Struck in era year 102 (161/0 BC).

• Like 17