Post your latest ancient!

CPK

The two compelling elements of these five 5th century Indian coins: the blundered HOHO obverse Greek legend and the Garuda with spread wings on the reverse  - shown shaded in pink here:

image.png.19ac6a5af6ab3ec4568c1c1e6392307e.png

and illustrated here from the state insignia of Thailand.

image.png.6e7998fe94d12a0e5144adb97e99f8c8.png

Garuda is a Hindu demi-god, often shown as the mount of the god Vishnu.

I also like the continuity in obverse portrait style with the drachms of the Western Kshatrapas e.g. this coin of Vijayasena from 200 years earlier.

image.png.dc3d178e489ac97b26db50d9cbafa912.png

image.png.7504bbeb0e9cf3c6d18282252b6d426a.png

India, Gupta Dynasty, AR Hemidrachms of Kumaragupta (CE 414-455) and Skandagupta (CE 455-480)  (circa 2g each and 12mm in diameter).

Obv:bust of king facing right, blundered greek legend around

Rev: stylized garuda standing facing, with wings spread, brahmi legend around 'Paramabhagavata Rajadhiraja Sri Kumaragupta Mahendraditya' (alternatively Skandagupta)

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 13

rpc.png.6cb73be41f6b9dec94cddd7a323937e0.png

EL Gold Stater; Struck by Sauromates II, King of Bosporus, under Septimius Severus, Dated 493 of the Bosporan Era: AD 196-197; Obverse: diademed and draped bust of Sauromates II right, ΒΑϹΙΛƐⲰϹ ϹΑΥΡΟΜΑΤΟΥ; Reverse: laureate head of Septimius Severus right; before, star; below, rqV(date); 19mm, 7.66g

My newest coin - I love that Electron Gold Staters from Bosporus 😍

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 3

Recently, I've been doing some reading and researching on the Tetrarchy. So far, I've added three Tetrarchs to the collection, shown below. It's an interesting part of Roman history, one that I had not looked into much even though I've been collection for some time. I also must say, it's quite a complicated period in Roman history. Not only because of the many contenders to the throne and usurpators, but also because the coinage is similar in designs and usage of legends. I've picked the three coins shown below because of the silvering left and the size. I think they're very appealing and feel satisfyingly hefty in hand. The Constantine I as Caesar issue was also part of the Rauceby hoard, which makes it my first recorded hoard coin. And it's a fantastic coin too. 

120.2.png.e7337c4654f031ca821aefc1591f07c6.png

125.1.png.30a2086dc8398343db979271f65af2ee.png

127.1.png.56c9c428abfe74c32de34efc6edf73f6.png

• Like 16

On 7/16/2023 at 11:21 AM, Prieure de Sion said:

rpc.png.6cb73be41f6b9dec94cddd7a323937e0.png

EL Gold Stater; Struck by Sauromates II, King of Bosporus, under Septimius Severus, Dated 493 of the Bosporan Era: AD 196-197; Obverse: diademed and draped bust of Sauromates II right, ΒΑϹΙΛƐⲰϹ ϹΑΥΡΟΜΑΤΟΥ; Reverse: laureate head of Septimius Severus right; before, star; below, rqV(date); 19mm, 7.66g

My newest coin - I love that Electron Gold Staters from Bosporus 😍

$1,200 is actually not too bad of a price- this was on my watch list! Congratulations 

Edited by El Cazador
  • Thanks 1

Virtus looks pretty hip in those boots...

1AHadrian(6).jpg.56fcd395a055b964e3e9033e9676f831.jpg
Hadrian. (AD 117-138). Æ Dupondius. (27mm 14.8g). Rome mint.

Struck (AD 119-120).

O: IMP CAESAR TRAIANVS HADRIANVS AVG P M TR P COS III; Radiate head of Hadrian to right, with slight drapery on his left shoulder.

R: VIRTVTI AVGVSTI / S - C; Virtus standing front, head to right, holding inverted spear in her right hand and parazonium in her left.

RIC II.3 278

• Like 13

This is my latest ancient although not in hand yet. I bought it at Noonan's this week and as they are based in London I do not expect any drama in delivery .

Roman Republican Coinage, Anonymous, Didrachm or Quadrigatus, Rome, c. 225-212, laureate Janiform head within beaded circle, rev. Jupiter and Victory in quadriga right, roma incuse on tablet below, 6.45g (Craw. 28/3; RSC 23; RCV 32). Some pitting on obverse, about very fine, reverse better.

image.png.fb09944ab65a23260ff4fdaee5244f3f.png

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 6

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, Dafydd said:

This is my latest ancient although not in hand yet. I bought it at Noonan's this week and as they are based in London I do not expect any drama in delivery .

Roman Republican Coinage, Anonymous, Didrachm or Quadrigatus, Rome, c. 225-212, laureate Janiform head within beaded circle, rev. Jupiter and Victory in quadriga right, roma incuse on tablet below, 6.45g (Craw. 28/3; RSC 23; RCV 32). Some pitting on obverse, about very fine, reverse better.

image.png.fb09944ab65a23260ff4fdaee5244f3f.png

The reverse is beautiful!

• Like 1

Had this on my vcoins watch list for a while. Price was a little high but it looked like it should have a provenance and price would be fair if it was pre-1970. Finally found one earlier this week and quickly made the choice to send the dealer an offer and buy it:

6TijA92s7NwpA8Yt3Zbky9sXMoH45z.jpg.7c953fc834aaee2d279fcb2915055617.jpg

Roman Imperatorial period AR denarius(3.86g, 18mm), P. Clodius M.f. Turrinus, moneyer, 42 B.C., Rome mint. Laureate bust of Apollo right; lyre behind / Diana Lucifera standing facing with bow and quiver over shoulder, holding lighted torch in each hand; P•CLODIVS M•F• across fields. Crawford 494/23; Sydenham 1117; HCRI 184; Banti Claudia 23/17(this coin).

Ex Münzhandlung Ritter GMBH, 17 July 2023, ex Jacques Schulman, Amsterdam, 233, 28-31 March 1960, lot 1126

This was an upgrade for me from this which I will be selling:

FB_IMG_1689826287231.jpg.f6498e341e4182530fb21225b912cdbd.jpg

Edited by red_spork
  • Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 1

Okay it's not my latest purchased but just last night I took fresh photos and created a new composition. I also studied the type some, and found that my earlier attribution, copy/pasted from the auction house, was incorrect.

The auction house said it was RIC III 1207 but as far as I can tell it is RIC 1221b. This is going by OCRE, not the printed RIC, for which reason I've begun to label my attributions OCRE in my photo compilations. It isn't listed in Sear, and I've been able to find only few examples on ACSearch, and none in the archived sales of various dealers.

As a nice little bonus it also has a provenance to the Kenneth Bressett collection.

antoninus_marcus_aurelius_dup.jpg.ad6f3bcf3d8149df5d8fdaeea620bb1d.jpg

• Like 13

• Benefactor

Here's a new style owl that arrived yesterday, in a NGC holder.  It's kind of cool to have Athena and Roma on the same coin.  This example shows the typical crudeness of the later new style owls: slightly off center on the reverse and areas of striking flatness. 

The flan is quite broad, at 29 mm and relatively thin, causing small edge splits during the striking process.  The reverse orientation is nearly 12 o'clock, giving the coin a somewhat medallic appearance.

Athens, new style owl,  91/0 BC.

Obverse : Athena Parthenos facing right.

Reverse: ΑΘΕ ethnic, Owl standing on amphora with month mark Z on it, control ΔΑ (?) below.  Two magistrates: XENOCLES and HARMOXENOS.

Thompson 123

29 mm; 16.56 grams.

D-CameraAthensnewstyleowl91-0RomastdT1123mnthZcontrXENOCLESHARMOXENOS16.56g7-25-23.jpg.23da5db690b7d3dea1a222cf5387d584.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 12
  • Smile 1

NeroClaudiusDrusus.png.1bad8f8359c481658f8e10919431ca69.png

Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus for Nero Claudius Drusus (Drusus the Elder)
Reign: Claudius; Mint: Rome; Date: 50/54 AD; Nominal: Sestertius; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 34.5mm; Weight: 23.96g; Reference: Cohen 8 (10f); Reference: BMC/RE 208; Reference: BN/R 198 pl. 24; Reference: RCV.1897 (3200€); Reference: MRK.6 /5 (3500€); Reference: RIC I (second edition) Claudius 109; Rare: R2; Provenance: CGB.fr Numismatique Paris, France; Obverse: Head of Nero Claudius Drusus, bare, left; Inscription: NERO CLAVDIVS DRVSVS GERMANICVS IMP; Translation: Nero Claudius Caesar Drusus Germanicus Imperator; Reverse: Claudius, togate, seated left on curule chair, holding branch in right hand; various arms around; Inscription: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP P P S C; Translation: Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate, Imperator, Pater Patriae, Senatus Consultum; Translation: Tiberius Claudius Caesar, Augustus, high priest, holder of tribunician power, Imperator, father of the nation, Decree of the senate

Comment: Nero Claudius Drusus Germanicus (born 14 January 38 BC; died 14 September 9 BC), also called the "elder Drusus" (Latin Drusus maior) or just Drusus, was a Roman politician and army commander and stepson of the Emperor Augustus. Nero Claudius Drusus was a son of Livia, Augustus' wife, from her first marriage to Tiberius Claudius Nero. His elder brother was the later Emperor Tiberius. Drusus was married to Antonia Minor, a daughter of Marcus Antonius and Augustus' sister Octavia. His children were Germanicus, Livilla and the later Emperor Claudius. Drusus grew up in the house of Augustus (whom a certainly inaccurate rumour made his father) and, like his brother, began a political and military career at a young age. In 15 BC, the two brothers campaigned in Raetia, which became a Roman province. From 13 BC Drusus was governor of the three Gallic provinces, where he consecrated an altar to Roma and Augustus in Lugdunum, now Lyon, in 12 BC. According to Suetonius, he originally used the praenomen Decimus. However, this was later changed to Nero for unknown reasons.

The beginning of the Augustan Germanic wars was initially limited to individual, spatially narrowly defined conflicts, from which a succession of serious conflicts gradually developed. The first of the Drusus campaigns (12-9 BC) also served to explore the areas on the right bank of the Rhine and to calm the northern section of the frontier. In the process, Drusus advanced as far as the North Sea coast in 12 BC and laid out a canal from the Rhine to the IJsselmeer, the fossa Drusiana. In the following year (in which he was praetor urbanus), Drusus fought against the Sugambrians settling on the Lippe and other tribes. According to the sources, he established two camps in the interior of Germania, one of which can probably be identified with the archaeologically researched legionary camp of Bergkamen-Oberaden. Drusus also established numerous camps on the Rhine, including Neuss (Novaesium), Bonn and Mainz (Mogontiacum). His army reached the Elbe in the Cheruscan region, roughly in the area of what later became Magdeburg, where a monument was erected on the riverbank. Here the consul allegedly had an apparition of a giant woman who dissuaded him from advancing further by means of an ominous prophecy. On the march back, Drusus broke his leg falling from his horse and died as a result. According to other sources, he suffered a thigh hernia (also called a broken thigh) in the fall. Tiberius hurried from Italy to Germania to the summer camp that was later called Castra Scelerata ("unlucky camp" or "cursed camp") and brought his brother's body to Rome.

With the subjugation of the Sugambrians and the migration of the Marcomanni, Rome's main opponents were eliminated from the power game of the Germanic tribes between the Rhine and the Elbe in 8 BC. The Marcomanni continued to exist as a power factor, but no longer in nearby Main Franconia, but in more distant Bohemia. Despite Drusus' campaigns, very few Germanic tribes really came under permanent dependence on Rome. Only rarely, and mostly in direct connection with the warfare, did these subjugations have an effect. The Roman strategy was based on Gaul and Illyria at the same time, not - as erroneously assumed - on the foothills of the Alps. The Romans were concerned with securing the north-eastern border area against the warlike tribes of Germania and Pannonia, but not with a strategically sensible shortening of the imperial border. It was not until 5 AD that the plan for a province of Germania began to take shape. Since Drusus, Roman Germanic policy had oscillated between the defensive goal of securing Gaul and the offensive goal of penetrating and firmly controlling the Germanic foothills. Since military glory and political prestige could only be achieved in the latter way, it was the more attractive option.

The dead Drusus was honoured with numerous tributes, including funeral orations by Augustus and Tiberius, eulogies and monuments. The "Drusus Stone" in Mainz (then: Mogontiacum) could be the remnant of a cenotaph for Drusus. The honorary name Germanicus, awarded to him posthumously, was passed on to his sons Germanicus and Claudius. A road station near today's Bolzano, which Drusus is said to have passed, was named Pons Drusi after him.

With such large bronzes - in this case a sestertius of Nero Claudius Drusus (minted under Emperor Claudius) - I can somehow never say no...  😄 
  • Like 12

On 7/15/2023 at 4:08 PM, Sulla80 said:

The two compelling elements of these five 5th century Indian coins: the blundered HOHO obverse Greek legend and the Garuda with spread wings on the reverse  - shown shaded in pink here:

image.png.19ac6a5af6ab3ec4568c1c1e6392307e.png

and illustrated here from the state insignia of Thailand.

image.png.6e7998fe94d12a0e5144adb97e99f8c8.png

Garuda is a Hindu demi-god, often shown as the mount of the god Vishnu.

I also like the continuity in obverse portrait style with the drachms of the Western Kshatrapas e.g. this coin of Vijayasena from 200 years earlier.

image.png.dc3d178e489ac97b26db50d9cbafa912.png

image.png.7504bbeb0e9cf3c6d18282252b6d426a.png

India, Gupta Dynasty, AR Hemidrachms of Kumaragupta (CE 414-455) and Skandagupta (CE 455-480)  (circa 2g each and 12mm in diameter).

Obv:bust of king facing right, blundered greek legend around

Rev: stylized garuda standing facing, with wings spread, brahmi legend around 'Paramabhagavata Rajadhiraja Sri Kumaragupta Mahendraditya' (alternatively Skandagupta)

I love these coins even though it is far out of my wheelhouse. The garuda is super cool and I love the guy's hat as well.  I've been trying to get an example with a decent portrait for several years and have yet to have any luck.
Thanks for sharing!

• Like 3

This guy came in today along with others that I will post later. I wanted to post him up though because I mentioned it in a post regarding the whereabouts of @TIF I now have what I believe to be the 6th example of a matching obverse die for a coin of Elagabalus from Nicopolis ad Istrum. 
To me, it looks like an obverse die match for Varbanov 4069 on Wildwinds but it has a different reverse. It also looks to be an obverse match for Mouchmov 1411 on RPC, again with a different reverse. 

Here is my new coin:
slazzer-edit-image(64).png.ed9c27a82d073360f1be4c79c93f5720.png

Here is a match from Forvm.

Here is my other Elagabalus from Nicopolis ad Istrum, with the same obverse and lovely dark green patina.

ElagabalusAE24MoesiaInferiorNicopolisadIstrumNike.png.6fc73a729373f37532b21bca9442f312.png

Edited by Furryfrog02
  • Like 16

My latest ancient - an upgrade to my Helena from Londinium. Most of these are rough, and there aren't many about. The 'best' example sold for over $1500. Luckily, this didn't cost close to that.

Helena Follis, 324-325
image.png.6f2eacfb16ca666cb401512fb8ddee99.png
Londinium. Bronze, 20mm, 2.93g. Bust of Helena, wearing necklace and mantle, right; FL HELENA - AVGVSTA. Securitas, draped, standing left, raising pallium with right hand and lowering branch with left hand; SECVRITAS - REIPVBLICE; PLON in exegue (RIC VII, 299).

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

My latest ancient - an upgrade to my Helena from Londinium. Most of these are rough, and there aren't many about. The 'best' example sold for over $1500. Luckily, this didn't cost close to that.

Helena Follis, 324-325
image.png.6f2eacfb16ca666cb401512fb8ddee99.png
Londinium. Bronze, 20mm, 2.93g. Bust of Helena, wearing necklace and mantle, right; FL HELENA - AVGVSTA. Securitas, draped, standing left, raising pallium with right hand and lowering branch with left hand; SECVRITAS - REIPVBLICE; PLON in exegue (RIC VII, 299).

Very nice. A nice portrait Helena is on my wishlist, and like you I want one from a specific mint - Rome.

• Like 1

CALIGRRC57.png.981f1e97eccfa66896234bf68dc79712.png

Gaius Iulius Caesar Caligula for Germanicus
Reign: Caligula; Mint: Rome; Date: 37/41 AD; Nominal: Dupondius; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 30mm; Weight: 15.28g; Rare: R2; Reference: RIC I (second edition) Gaius/Caligula 57; Provenance: Auction Lanz 106, Munich 2001, Nr. 259; Obverse: Germanicus, bare-headed and cloaked, standing in quadriga, right, holding eagle tipped sceptre; Inscription: GERMANICVS CAESAR; Translation: Germanicus Caesar; Reverse: Germanicus bare-headed and cuirassed, right, with tunic standing, left, right hand raised and left holding aquila; Inscription: SIGNIS RECEPT DEVICTIS GERM S C; Translation: Signis Recept Divictis Germanis; Translation: Standards recovered from the defeated Germans

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 5

Here is another of the group that came earlier this week. Nothing special, just a Diocletian potin tetradrachm from Alexandria. What I like about it are the deep cobalt blue encrustations on both the obverse and reverse.

DiocletianPotinTetradrachmAlexandriaElpis.Year1.png.8528357f413bec4b0567dcb51737db62.png

Diocletian
Potin Tetradrachm of Alexandria
Year 1 = 284/285 AD
Obverse: A K Γ OYA Λ ΔIOKΛHTIANOC CEB, laureate draped bust right 
Reverse:  LA, Elpis standing left, holding flower, a long sash hanging from her arm, and clutching hem of robe.

• Like 12
  • Mind blown 1
  • Confused 1

Posted elsewhere already, but these are my two latest

Gx9azQQ6M7tmwT4N3frRBd2g5dTAN8-Copy.jpg.d73ab92781eefac02e0155e16f8687f5.jpg

Faustina Junior. Augusta, AD 147-175. Orichalcum Dupondius
Rome mint. Struck under Marcus Aurelius, circa AD 170-175/6.
Obv. FAUSTINA AUGUSTA. Draped bust right. Hair curls down cheek, hair in low chignon fastened with band of pearls.
Rev. JUNO standing left, holding patera and scepter; at feet to left, peacock standing left, head right. SC across fields.
 (25mm, 11.53 g.) RIC III 1647 (Aurelius)

oGt8Jc7csB33sa5WM4QiZr9HnPH26X-Copy.jpg.592432ac861504aa35c7d81bb82dc4a1.jpg

Marcus Julius Severus Philippus (Philip the younger). Struck under Philip I

Philip II, AR antoninianus. 22.4 mm, 4.91 g.(Thick flan), Rome mint, 249AD.
IMP PHILIPPVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. / LIBERALITAS AVGG III, Philip I, holding short sceptre, and Philip II seated left on curule chairs, extending right hands. RIC 230; RSC 17, Sear 9265.
Appears to be reverse die match to example held by American Numismatic Society, http://numismatics.org/collection/1957.172.754

• Like 11

HADRIRIC1400.jpg.a388196bfcd14f8b0d122e1f726dcf43.jpg

Imperator Caesar Traianus Hadrianus Augustus
Reign: Hadrian; Mint: Rome; Date: 130 AD; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17mm; Weight: 3.62g; Reference: RSC 712; Reference: BMCRE 621; Reference: Cohen 712; Reference: RIC II, Part 3 (second edition) Hadrian 1400; Obverse: Head of Hadrian, laureate, right; Inscription: HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P; Translation: Hadrianus Augustus, Consul Tertium, Pater Patriae; Translation: Hadrian, Augustus, Consul for the third time, father of the nation; Reverse: Ship, left; Inscription: FELICITATI AVGVSTI; Translation: Felicitati Augusti; Translation: To the good fortune of the Augustus

A new Hadrian Denarius from the "Travel Series" arrived. The denarius refers to Hadrian's second great journey through the Roman Empire - combined with the wish that the emperor may have a happy (and unhazardous) journey. After a visit to North Africa in 128 AD, Hadrian set off again via Athens on the so-called second great journey to the eastern half of the empire. Places of visit and transit were the Asia Minor regions of Caria, Phrygia, Cappadocia and Cilicia, before he spent the winter in Antioch. In 130 AD he was travelling in the provinces of Arabia and Judea. In Egypt, he moved up the Nile, visiting the ancient cities. After the death of Antinous, he travelled north from Alexandria by ship along the Syrian and Asia Minor coasts with stops in between. In the summer and autumn of AD 131, he stayed either permanently in the western coastal regions of Asia Minor or further north in Thrace, Moesia, Dacia and Macedonia. He spent the winter and spring of 132 AD for the last time in Athens, before he either returned to Rome, alarmed by the Jewish uprising, or went to Judea to see the situation for himself.

• Like 12

MARCRRC245-1.png.bae30a75605c1ea136f188b6b9a3fa21.png

Manius Marcius
Reign: Roman Republic; Mint: Rome; Date: 134 BC; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 3.94g; Reference: Sydenham 500; Reference: Albert 940; Reference: Crawford RRC 245/1; Obverse: Helmeted head of Roma right; modius behind, denomination mark XVI as monogram below chin; Reverse: Victory in biga galloping right, holding reins in left hand and whip in right hand. ROMA and moneyer mark below horses with MAR in monogram; both divided by two corn-ears; Inscription: M MAR C RO MA; Translation: Manius Marcius, Roma

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 5