Post your latest ancient!

CPK

9 hours ago, Salomons Cat said:

Maybe my opinion is not very diplomatic, Prieure de Sion expressed it better.

Well, you're not that wrong. The majority of coins are also too expensive for me. But it's fair to say that CGB offers an excellent service. But CGB also has a very large regular clientele who like to shop there (and apparently don't look at every euro).

But what I want to say is. Because not everyone always looks at CGB, you can buy excellent specimens at good prices there - not often, rather rarely, but also really sometimes. Rarely. But they do exist. And because not many always look at CGB, you can sometimes find really great coins at fair prices (even if they are not in the majority).

• Like 4
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor
17 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Well, you're not that wrong. The majority of coins are also too expensive for me. But it's fair to say that CGB offers an excellent service. But CGB also has a very large regular clientele who like to shop there (and apparently don't look at every euro).

But what I want to say is. Because not everyone always looks at CGB, you can buy excellent specimens at good prices there - not often, rather rarely, but also really sometimes. Rarely. But they do exist. And because not many always look at CGB, you can sometimes find really great coins at fair prices (even if they are not in the majority).

I don't think CGB.fr's retail prices on MA-Shops or on their website (I haven't participated in their auctions) are particularly high. Certainly not compared to Numiscorner (also known as CDMA, also known as Comptoir des Monnaies), which is notorious for extremely high prices. Although Numiscorner has the widest selection I've seen of 19th century and later French gold coins.

My only caveat regarding CGB is that they're very optimistic with respect to grading their coins. They almost never call any ancient coin anything less than the French equivalent of VF, and are remarkably generous with applying the "AU" designation! But that seems to be true of most dealers in France.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I don't think CGB.fr's retail prices on MA-Shops or on their website (I haven't participated in their auctions) are particularly high. Certainly not compared to Numiscorner (also known as CDMA, also known as Comptoir des Monnaies), which is notorious for extremely high prices. Although Numiscorner has the widest selection I've seen of 19th century and later French gold coins.

My only caveat regarding CGB is that they're very optimistic with respect to grading their coins. They almost never call any ancient coin anything less than the French equivalent of VF, and are remarkably generous with applying the "AU" designation! But that seems to be true of most dealers in France.

I find CGB good for London mint coins that French people care less about. I got a Galerius as augustus that they had listed as Maximian, which is tricky to find for the London mint. Also a nice grade Constantine II that isn't easy to find from London but was lost amongst the continental coins.

Numiscorner is the same - I got a nice (and nicely priced) Maximianus abdication issue from London that would've disappeared quickly from a UK dealer's stock. But otherwise I don't buy much from them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I agree. Some of the coins are priced rather high but you can find deals among them. A lot (most?) of their coins are consigned so that might influence the price, one way or another. And you can often find more rare types for sale that aren't found anywhere else. I also like to use their archives for research.

Most of my cgb.fr purchases have been world coins, but I've also bought a bunch of ancients from them too.

Agree too with @DonnaML on their coin grading - it's almost laughably optimistic at times, but since they provide photos I don't pay any attention to the grades. 🙂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DonnaML said:

21 minutes ago, CPK said:

Agree too with @DonnaML on their coin grading - it's almost laughably optimistic at times, but since they provide photos I don't pay any attention to the grades. 🙂 

Absolutely. I fully agree with both of you. But we all have our own eyes - and everyone can judge how beautiful they think the coin is, no matter what the dealer says about the condition. So far, however, the coins have looked better in real life than in the pictures. But as written. It doesn't matter what a dealer says about the condition - you have to look and judge for yourself anyway.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Salomons Cat said:

The last time when I checked the prices for a few coins on cgbfr they sold the coins for 2.5x the price that the exact same coins were sold for in auctions recently. 

Numiscorner is even crazier. 

There are many Vcoins shops that have very good offers. The only “problem” (if you want to buy and not to sell) is that all coins are quite expensive at the moment, doesn’t matter where you look, I guess it’s just the market at the moment…

I've bought a few coins from numiscorner, and those particular ones were fairly priced.  I've noticed the high trend on some of the trashier coins, though.  I don't care for that table they use to describe the coins.  It leaves the coins with very little description.

Never have I bought anything from cgb, and now that they're gone from vcoins, it's out of sight, out of mind.  I rarely look at ma-shops.

• Like 4

• Benefactor

Visited my local coin shop yesterday and came out with this coin, a somewhat corroded sestertius of Faustina II, with the Venus Victrix reverse.  The portrait is quite pleasant.  Often she is depicted with a very pointed nose.  Whether or not the nose was in fact pointed, this version is quite nice.

Question:  Does the shield on the reverse have other themes besides the she-wolf-twins or the Dioscuri?  This coin has the former.

Faustina II, Sestertius, Rome, 161-176 AD, VENVS VICTRIX.

RIC III 1688

22.53 grams

D-CameraFaustinaIISestertius.Rome161-176ADVENVSVICTRIXRICIII168822.53g7-9-23.jpg.ab6227bc7a3148b658421d30f9f1570a.jpg

• Like 14

• Benefactor

I purchased this from our own @Julius Germanicus via Ebay, and it arrived a few days ago.

Livia Drusilla (58 BCE-AD 29, widow of Augustus and mother of Tiberius) as Pietas, orichalcum Dupondius, AD 23, Rome Mint, issued by her son Tiberius in the name of her grandson Drusus Julius Caesar (Drusus Minor, 13 BCE-AD 23, son of Tiberius and Vipsiana). Obv. Veiled, diademed, and draped bust of Livia as Pietas, right, PIETAS below / Rev. DRVSVS CAESAR TI AVGVSTI F TR POT ITER around large S C [Senatus Consulto] in center. 30.74 mm., 13.63 g. RIC I Tiberius 43 p. 97, ill Pl. 11 (Rev. ed. 1984); Sear RCV I Livia 1741 p. 341; BMCRE I Tiberius 98 p. 133 (Pietas side ill. Pl. 24.7) (identifies the Pietas side as the reverse and the S C side as the obverse); Cohen 1. David R. Sear A.C.C.S. Certificate of Authenticity dated July 28, 2020, issued to Jens G. Feierabend, No. 005CO/RI/D/OD (“F/good F, ‘Tiber’ patina, pitted surfaces"). Purchased from Jens G. Feierabend, Hamburg, Germany, 21 Jun 2023; ex Dorotheum GmbH & Co KG, Vienna, Austria, 16 Nov. 2017 Auction, Lot 1287. 

Given how badly Tiberius got along with his mother, it's not surprising that this is a Senatus Consulto issue.

This is a quintessential example of an ancient coin that looks quite nice in hand, but will never photograph well because its defects (in this case, pitting/porosity) are greatly magnified in any photo. As in these three photos, one by @Julius Germanicus, one by David R. Sear, and one by Dorotheum GmbH. None of them does the coin justice.

image.png.dd55f7536fe7185785815d6ba430aaaf.png

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 6

• Benefactor
4 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I purchased this from our own @Julius Germanicus via Ebay, and it arrived a few days ago.

Livia Drusilla (58 BCE-AD 29, widow of Augustus and mother of Tiberius) as Pietas, orichalcum Dupondius, AD 23, Rome Mint, issued by her son Tiberius in the name of her grandson Drusus Julius Caesar (Drusus Minor, 13 BCE-AD 23, son of Tiberius and Vipsiana). Obv. Veiled, diademed, and draped bust of Livia as Pietas, right, PIETAS below / Rev. DRVSVS CAESAR TI AVGVSTI F TR POT ITER around large S C [Senatus Consulto] in center. 30.74 mm., 13.63 g. RIC I Tiberius 43 p. 97, ill Pl. 11 (Rev. ed. 1984); Sear RCV I Livia 1741 p. 341; BMCRE I Tiberius 98 p. 133 (Pietas side ill. Pl. 24.7) (identifies the Pietas side as the reverse and the S C side as the obverse); Cohen 1. David R. Sear A.C.C.S. Certificate of Authenticity dated July 28, 2020, issued to Jens G. Feierabend, No. 005CO/RI/D/OD (“F/good F, ‘Tiber’ patina, pitted surfaces"). Purchased from Jens G. Feierabend, Hamburg, Germany, 21 Jun 2023; ex Dorotheum GmbH & Co KG, Vienna, Austria, 16 Nov. 2017 Auction, Lot 1287. 

Given how badly Tiberius got along with his mother, it's not surprising that this is a Senatus Consulto issue.

This is a quintessential example of an ancient coin that looks quite nice in hand, but will never photograph well because its defects (in this case, pitting/porosity) are greatly magnified in any photo. As in these three photos, one by @Julius Germanicus, one by David R. Sear, and one by Dorotheum GmbH. None of them does the coin justice.

image.png.dd55f7536fe7185785815d6ba430aaaf.png

I forgot to mention that @Julius Germanicus was kind enough to include, in the package with the coin I bought, one of his wonderful Lego creations: a small model of the Arch of Constantine. A very nice surprise!

image.png.01f6d6e82aba0e41373d0cb2bf1bebde.png

image.png.5583239ca63883e74d2465e807643f78.png

• Like 12
  • Smile 3
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

nd2PR8zf4dAMQ7q6rGm9J6Ho5brXEJ.jpg.84e76dd9c92785039d3f0491fc8ad6b1.jpg

L. Memmius AR Denarius (20mm, 3.77 g.)
Rome mint, struck 109-108 BC Gens Memmia
Obv. Apollo facing right, wearing oak wreath, mark of value below chin.
Rev. The Dioscuri standing facing, each holding spear and bridle of his horse. Moneyer name in exergue.
Crawford 304
The gens Memmia was a plebeian family at ancient Rome. The first member of the gens to achieve prominence was Gaius Memmius Gallus, praetor in 172 BC. From the period of the Jugurthine War to the age of Augustus they contributed numerous tribunes to the Republic.

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

Two golden solidus have found their way to me - a Leo I and an Honorius. I simply liked the condition. The backs from this period are usually quite monotonous - the only way to "love" them is through their condition.

LEOIRIC605.png.e4d5de2953d489fca45ec4273ab9473f.png

Leo I (Flavius Valerius Leo)
Reign: Leo I; Mint: Constantinopolis; Date: 462/466 AD; Nominal: Solidus; Material: Gold; Diameter: 21mm; Weight: 4.51g; Reference: RIC X Leo I (East) 605; OCRE Online: https://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.10.leo_i_e.605; Rare: R2; Obverse: Bust of Leo I, helmeted, pearl-diademed, cuirassed, facing front, holding spear in right hand behind head and shield decorated with horseman on left arm; Inscription: D N LEO PERPET AVG; Translation: Dominus Noster Leo Perpetuus Augustus; Translation: Our Lord Leo, Perpetual Augustus; Reverse: Winged Victory standing left, holding with left hand a long jewelled cross; in right field, a star. Officina mark ending the lettering and mintmark (S) in exergue; Inscription: VICTORIA AVGGG CONOB; Translation: Victoria Augustorum, Constantinopolis; Translation: Victory of the Augusts, Konstantinopel, Mintmark S = 6th officina

HONORRIC1206.png.2d900f9dde4159763322a6c3702754af.png
Flavius Honorius
Reign: Honorius; Mint: Mediolanum (Milan); Date: 395/402 AD; Nominal: Solidus; Material: Gold; Diameter: 21mm; Weight: 4.33g; Reference: RIC X Honorius 1206; OCRE Online: https://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.10.hon_w.1206; Rare: R2; Obverse: Bust of Honorius, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed, right; Inscription: D N HONORIVS P F AVG; Translation: Dominus Noster Honorius Pius Felix Augustus; Translation: Our Lord Honorius, Pius Felix Augustus; Reverse: Honorius, draped, cuirassed, standing right, holding standard in right hand and Victory on globe in left hand; spurning seated bound captive with left foot; in field Mintmark MD; Inscription: VICTORIA AVGGG COMOB; Translation: Victoria Augustorum, Comitatus Obryziacum; Translation: Victory of the Augusts, Comitatensian mint, Mintmark MD = Mediolanum

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 3

• Benefactor

This coin is a mid-grade pick up from CNG.  The anchor (Seleucid) symbol on the reverse is really cool, and while this type is quite available generally speaking, the centering is quite nice and the strike decent.

Seleucid Empire, Seleukos I Nikator, in the name of Alexander III, tetradrachm, 308-304 BC.

Price 3441

17.12 grams

D-CameraAlexanderIIItetradrachmSELEUKIDEMPIRE.SeleukosINikator308-304BCPrice344117.12g7-11-23.jpg.76ad6c654b713bbc3930d1df36154873.jpg

Now I need to go to the store and get a six pack of Anchor Steam beer to complete the circle.

Anchor 12Pk Steam - Lawler's Liquors

Edit;  In today's news, July 13, 2023.  Sad!

Anchor, first and oldest US craft brewery, to shut down after 127 years

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/jul/13/anchor-brewing-closing-beer-san-francisco

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 9
  • Smile 1
  • Smile 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Today was a happy day, because this Egyptian coin arrived (along with a nice 11th century coin), it took a long time to come in, but here it is! In my eyes this really is a museum piece, a third century BC work of Hellenic art in very good condition (much better than my first octobol). It's a Ptolemy III Series 4 (eagle with open wing) with E between its legs. 46 mm, 93.05 gr. 

Octtoday.jpg.df2107102c8673e4a57787a55a41bb80.jpg

• Like 10
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Pellinore said:

Today was a happy day, because this Egyptian coin arrived (along with a nice 11th century coin), it took a long time to come in, but here it is! In my eyes this really is a museum piece, a third century BC work of Hellenic art in very good condition (much better than my first octobol). It's a Ptolemy III Series 4 (eagle with open wing) with E between its legs. 46 mm, 93.05 gr. 

Octtoday.jpg.df2107102c8673e4a57787a55a41bb80.jpg

Awesome coin. That reminds me of my Ptolemy IV, but it's only 75.5 grams...

As an aside - Hero/Heron of Alexandria invented a coin-operated vending machine for holy water, as well as a steam engine, the Aeliopile. I wonder if the drachms were needed to dispense the water...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_Alexandria 

PTOLEMAIC EGYPT. ALEXANDRIA. Ptolemy IV 221-205 BC AE Drachm. (75.52g, 41mm, 12h)

Obverse: Bust of Zeus Ammon right

Reverse: ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ, Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, cornucopiae in front, ΛΙ between legs

Reference: SNG Cop 199. 

ptol1.jpg.fcf07d4560359c0d71a5d4e2db482bf4.jpg

ptol2.jpg.2651e213fab9063c2431f25badf2aea0.jpg

• Like 12
  • Smile 1

Finally got a bearded Julian II! It wasn't the Maiorina that I really want...but for $9 and change, I can't complain. 🙂

JulianIIAE3VOTXMVLTXXTES.png.f9179fcd973c6d1ce831087ef77551d5.png
Julian II
AE3
361-363 AD
Obverse: DN FL CL IVLIANVS PF AVG, helmeted, pearl-diademed, and cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield
Reverse: VOT X MVLT XX, four lines in laurel-wreath. Mintmark palm branch-TESΓ-palm branch.

• Like 12

11 hours ago, Furryfrog02 said:

Finally got a bearded Julian II! It wasn't the Maiorina that I really want...but for $9 and change, I can't complain. 🙂

JulianIIAE3VOTXMVLTXXTES.png.f9179fcd973c6d1ce831087ef77551d5.png
Julian II
AE3
361-363 AD
Obverse: DN FL CL IVLIANVS PF AVG, helmeted, pearl-diademed, and cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield
Reverse: VOT X MVLT XX, four lines in laurel-wreath. Mintmark palm branch-TESΓ-palm branch.

From the same series, in 362:
iulian.jpg.a72d5c785e1bbba8e9e799b0a2520421.jpg

• Like 9

In my last delivery, this coin was included free as a thank you for my custom.

Constantine I AE follis. AD 330-335. IMP CONSTANTI-NVS MAX AVG, rosette-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right. / GLOR-IA EXERC-ITVS, two soldiers holding spears and shields with two standards between them. Mintmark RFP.
17mm, 2.54gr. RIC Rome VII, 327

20230705_134959__2_-removebg-preview-side.png

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

Recent win, and first double portrait.

I really liked the style and patina, even though the legends are not very clear.

I think it is RIC III 1212 (or variation) Antoninus Pius & Marcus Aurelius AE sestertius - Dynastic issue

Obverse : Laureate bust of Antoninus Pius right
Reverse : Bare head of Marus Aurelius right
33 millimeters wide
24.7 grams

If anyone could help out and confirm one way or another or provide any information, such as year or reference, it would be appreciated. 
I seen these without a beard on Marcus, this one looks like it has a beard. 

EDIT: Sadly coin arrived, and the patina is fake, I have no choice but to dip it in acetone and hope for the best. I know its fake because as I rubbed my fingers along the edge it started to flake off, leaving  white/greenish underneath. 

s1.jpg.536f9b3a137ce6f38091799f33298284.jpg
s2.jpg.029192cce26d38dfb9007340f6fa1998.jpg
Edited by AETHER
  • Like 14

Last one I've been waiting on arrived today: A new Alexandrian potin tetradrachm of Severus Alexander.

slazzer-edit-image(56).png.24c3fceb859917e3015d67b8acba68a0.png

Severus Alexander
Year 2 (222/223 AD)
Billon Tetradrachm
Alexandria, Egypt
Obverse: A KAI MAP AVP CEVHP AΛΞANΔPOC EVCEB, Laureate, draped bust right
Reverse: L-B, eagle standing left, head right with wreath in its beak
21mm/11.42g

• Like 12
  • Smile 1

I got this very battered coin in a recent Demos auction - it arrived during the week.   The description was just the weight (5.86g), diameter (21mm) and "Greek silver coin".

P7142036.JPG.bfebcb449788e2fb318ff26a9c1dec18.JPGP7142037.JPG.9c1eaa8db3c5a02daee669042e6f6c16.JPG

So - not too much to go on - a nymph's head left with a testcut and an uncertain reverse with a countermark.   The countermark was the first thing I found - a griffin - CNG sold a coin with the same countermark through their coin shop:

No photo description available.

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=224643

I thought the reverse looked a bit like a RR galley right, but searches threw up nothing close.   I tried Demeter and Persephone for the obverse (even Parthenope).

Then I noticed that the obverse had a beaded border - a search term of beaded border drachm on acsearch brought up 62 hits and Bingo! - the ninth one is a match - with a certain element of imagination, of course - a drachm of Sinope of ca. 362 BC:
9907826.jpg.1b5e780db0d55f03eb049a605f32f442.jpg

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=9907826

I have the reverse upside-down.   What is partly obliterated by the countermark are the wings of the eagle - I thought that might be the ram of a galley and the wavy bits are actually feathers.   What I thought could be the prow of the galley is actally part of the unfortunate dolphin.

An interesting puzzle and I'm pretty confident this is a fairly close attribution - as close as possible for the condition it's in, probably!

ATB,
Aidan.

Edited by akeady
Photos not working!
  • Like 11

Postumus (260-269)
Æ double sester, 13.99 g, 30 mm
Mint: Trier

Obv: radiant bust r.
Rev: Mars stands r. with spear and shield, between SC.

Been wanting one of these for a while. Wanted a not so porous flan and I find it attractively worn. 

png.png

• Like 14
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Mazaeus.png.95eec004f7207701729167c4c716e0c1.png

Greek coins, Cilicia Tarsos, Mazaios (Mazaeus) (361-331 BC) Statere 340 BC Tarsos Baal of Tarsos seated left, holding eagle, grain ear, grapes, and scepter; Lion attacking bull left; Ø 24 mm Levante 106, GC. 5650 var. 10.95g.

Today, for a change, not a Roman coin but a Greek coin made it to me 🙂 

• Like 9
  • Smile 1
  • Heart Eyes 4