Post your latest ancient!

CPK

2 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

This is not my coin! Unfortunately... 😐

330_1.jpg?maxwidth=1600&maxheight=1600

Link to the CNG Auction

With this beautiful 43mm medallion with Commodus on the reverse with a very nice depiction and scene, I was LORRIBLY too cowardly tonight. And that annoys me a bit now - that I was too cowardly not to go even higher.

I went as high as 4,000 USD, the hammer price was 4,250 USD. But I should have gone a bit higher. If the new owner happens to be reading along here - my sincere congratulations! 

A beautiful specimen. I should have been more courageous... 😞 

I missed out on a coin in the CNG auction today because everyone bid in the last few seconds. The price went up 3 times what it had been with 10 seconds to go, and I guessed only 2.5 times. I wish I’d gone 4 times. But if I had, I would be wishing I hadn’t.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 2
  • Cookie 1

No, this is not Saladin holding the severed head of Chatillon following the battle of Hattin in AH 583 (AD 1187-1188) but rather this is a representation of the planet Mars. Yuluq Arslan the `Artuqid ruler who issued this coin in AH 596 (AD 1199) recognizes the two sons of Saladin as his overlords (suggesting a change in allegiance from al-'Adil Abu Bakr also known as Safadin or Sayf ad-Din, meaning "Sword of Faith" - brother to Saladin ) who was under attack from his two nephews.

Yuluq-Arslan1199AD.jpg.8e7192415f4ceb2c5d914e5522690226.jpg

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 13
  • Cool Think 1

From time to time, you can also find small treasures on Catawiki (as long as you bid with reputable, well-known dealers). Yesterday I won a bid for a denarius of the young Commodus under Marcus Aurelius. Not only is the coin beautiful, the dealer had also given RIC 636 (laureate, draped). However, it is RIC 637 (only laureate). This type is generally rather rare, but RIC 637 is extremely rare (one coin in auctions the last 20 years), so I was really pleased when I identified it today.

This type is also historically very interesting, it is the first issue of the young Commodus after his appointment as Augustus and thus as co-ruler of his father. It is speculated that this type with Jupiter was issued to celebrate his elevation to Augustus.

CRI_177_5a.png.12d4679640c00e2c0687f26d205b6876.png

Imperator Caesar Lucius Aelius Aurelius Commodus Augustus
Reign: Marcus Aurelius; Mint: Rome; Date: 177 AD; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 3.40g; Reference: RIC III Marcus Aurelius 637; OCRE Online: http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.3.m_aur.637; Rare: R3; Obverse: Head of Commodus, laureate, right; Inscription: IMP L AVREL COMMODVS AVG GERM SARM; Translation: Imperator Lucius Aurelius Commodus Augustus, Germanicus, Sarmaticus; Translation: Imperator, Lucius Aurelius Commodus, Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, conqueror of the Sarmatians; Reverse: Jupiter, naked to waist, seated on low seat, holding Victory on extended right hand and vertical sceptre in left hand; Inscription: TR P II COS P P; Translation: Tribunicia Potestate Secunda, Consul, Pater Patriae; Translation: Holder of tribunician power for the second time, consul, father of the nation

Part of my private collection

• Like 18
  • Heart Eyes 2

No coins, but earlier this week I bit the bullet and ordered the rest of David Sear's "Roman Coins and Their Values" reference books - volumes II, III, IV, and V. Now I have the complete set. I would like to sometime get his reference books on Greek coins as well. 

The books came today and I am enjoying paging through and looking up some of the coins from my own collection.

• Like 12
  • Cool Think 1

Here's a recent arrival from Noonan's.

Moneyer: C. Naevius Balbus
Coin: Silver Denarius
S·C / S - Head of Venus, right, wearing diadem; before, control-mark
- Victory in triga, right, holding reins in both hands - C·NA͡E·BA͡LB
Mint: Rome (79 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.95g / - / -
References:
  • RSC 6b (Naevia)
  • Sydenham 769
  • Crawford 382/1a
Provenances:
  • Ex. Steve Clarke Collection
Acquisition: Noonan's Online auction #284 (part of) 8-Mar-2023

spacer.png

Cr. 382/1b has a control number on the reverse - it seems to me that /1a with a control letter on the obverse is less common.

It came in a lot with this - a denarius of Tiberius Claudius Nero, grandfather of the emperor Tiberius.

Moneyer: Ti. Claudius Nero
Coin: Silver Denarius
S·C - Bust of Diana, right, draped, with bow and quiver over shoulder
- Victory in biga, right, holding palm-branch and reins in left hand and wreath in right hand - TI·CLAV͡D·TI·F / A͡P·N
Mint: Rome (79 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.73g / - / -
References:
  • RSC 6 (Claudia)
  • Sydenham 770
  • Crawford 383/1
Provenances:
  • Ex. Steve Clarke Collection
Acquisition: Noonan's Online auction #284 (part of) 8-Mar-2023

spacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 18
  • Heart Eyes 1

Nothing has yet caught my desiring coin eye since coming across this Theophilus Byzantine. Until that moment (inevitably) arrives, this one still remains my latest ancient.

829_to_842_Theophilus_AE_Follis_01_02.png.bda80defddeed9157626003cd9a7be6b.png829_to_842_Theophilus_AE_Follis_02_02.png.0468bbdd6b430ffa33a809be2d4f7881.png
Theophilus (AD 829-842) Æ Follis; Constantinople mint; AD 830-842; Obv: ΘEOFIL bASIL; Half-length figure standing facing, holding labarum and globus cruciger; Rev: ΘEO / FILE AVG / OVSTE SV / hICAS in four lines; 28mm; 8.26 grams; Sear 1667

• Like 20

There are some really beautiful coins posted to this thread! It has been a very enjoyable read.

My newest coin is one that has some drawbacks as well as some nice selling points.

I really like the huge size (38 mm!) and good centering. It’s also great to have a coin of Pergamum with this iconic design. The rough surfaces are a bit of a drawback and the portrait is not as high profile as on the earlier Pergamum tetradrachms. However, overall I think it’s a worthy addition and I’m glad to have added it.

EB91AE2D-08CD-4C2F-AA85-6E136750010C.jpeg.981725d61c188d411a9a13681068cdec.jpeg

Kingdom of Pergamum, 
Eumenes II. 197-158 Pergamum, in the name of Philetairo 
AR Tetradrachm, struck circa 180-159 BC 
Dia.: 38.00 mm
Wt.: 14.80 g
Obv.: Laureate head of Philetairos r. 
Rev.: Athena enthroned l., resting on shield to r., crowning dynastic name to l.; transverse spear in background, filleted thyrsos to outer l., monogram to inner l., bow to r. 
Ref.: Westermark Group VII. SNG France 1636-1638.

• Like 19
  • Heart Eyes 1

MARCAURRIC438a.png.7d0c914f6a94b098286297772eaa1874.png

Marcus Aurelius Caesar under Antoninus Pius
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 147/148 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17mm; Weight: 3.21g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC III Antoninus Pius 438a

Obverse: Bust of Marcus Aurelius, bare-headed, draped, right. The Inscription reads: AVRELIVS CAESAR AVG PII F for Aurelius Caesar, Augusti Pii Filius ([Marcus] Aurelius, Caesar, son of Augustus [Antoninus] Pius); Reverse: Minerva, helmeted, draped, standing right, holding vertical spear in right hand and resting left hand on round shield set on ground. The Inscription reads: TR POT II COS II for Tribunicia Potestate Secunda, Consul Secundum (Holder of tribunician power for the second time, consul for the second time).

I found this Marcus Aurelius as young Caesar so pretty that I just had to buy it.... 
  • Like 17
  • Heart Eyes 2

I picked this duplicate up which in hindsight I shouldn't have done and will probably try to flip it which shouldn't be too hard... hopefully 😛 

Q. Sicinius and C. Coponius. 49 BC. AR Denarius . Military mint moving with Pompey. Diademed head of Apollo right; star below / Club of Hercules surmounted by lion's skin; arrow to left; bow to right. Crawford 444/1a; CRI 3; Sydenham 939; Sicinia 1

cn1.png

cn2.png

• Like 14

• Benefactor

The two ancient coins I purchased last week from the current Harlan J. Berk Buy or Bid Sale # 223 have arrived, and here are my write-ups. As it happens (it's not something I was planning or looking for) they are both Roman Provincials of Gordian III. Both are from something called the "Mark Gibbons Collection." Anyone ever heard of it, or of him?

The first one is a tetradrachm from Antioch from early in his reign. It's a common type with a typical reverse, but I really liked the portrait:

Gordian III billon Tetradrachm, Syria, Seleucis and Pieria, Antioch Mint, A.D. 238-240. Obv. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind, ΑΥΤΟΚ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC CЄΒ / Rev. Eagle with spread wings standing facing, head left, holding wreath in beak, tail to left, ΔΗΜΑΡ – Χ ƐΞΟΥϹΙΑϹ [TR. POT.]; in exergue, S C [with minor die break obscuring “C”]. McAlee 860, Group I(a) (p. 320) (obv. die match with specimen 860/2, ill. p. 321) [Richard McAlee, The Coins of Roman Antioch (2007)]; Prieur 282 [Michel and Karin Prieur, Syro-Phoenician Tetradrachms (London, 2000)]; RPC [Roman Provincial Coinage] Online VII.2 3488 (see https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/7.2/3488); BMC 20 Syria 494 p. 211 (ill. Pl. xxv.2) [Warwick Wroth, A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 20, Galatia, Cappadocia, and Syria (London, 1899)].  26 mm., 11.54 g., 7 hr. Purchased from Harlan J. Berk, Ltd., 223rd Buy or Bid Sale, 20 Apr. 2023, Lot 395, from Mark Gibbons Collection; ex Leu Numismatik Web Auction 17, 15 Aug 2021, Lot 1897 (Leu ticket enclosed).* (Video of coin at https://www.hjbltd.com/#!/inventory/item-detail/ancient-coins/100412?fromBbs=223rd Buy Or Bid Sale ).**

Here is the HJB photo:

image.jpeg.7b32dc00048155c2481391b12eec65be.jpeg

This photo is considerably darker in tone than the actual coin in hand; why that is I don't know. You can see the difference by comparing it to HJB's own video, or to this photo I took:

image.png.112d972f7b8bd8fa0522a60ca1cd020d.png

Or to Leu's photo from the 2021 sale: 

image.jpeg.aaa8d6a2f1cb69028f7e3cd0fa066003.jpeg

*HJB did not mention this provenance, or repeat Leu's description of the obverse as "harshly cleaned." Even in hand, rather than with a dark tone as in HJB's photo, I don't agree with that opinion. It looks fine to me, even under magnification.

**See McAlee p. 315, explaining that the production of billon tetradrachms by Gordian III at Antioch represented the resumption of that denomination “after a hiatus of two decades, albeit on a smaller scale than under Elagabalus and Caracalla. The tetradrachms fall into two distinct groups. The first group, produced in 238-241 (probably ending early in 241. . .) has an eagle with the letters S C in the exergue. These letters, which had appeared on the [Provincial] bronze coins for more than two centuries but never before on the silver coins, may have been added as a result of the coinage reform which had previously occurred under Elagabalus, in which there appears to have been a merger of the mint authorities operating under imperial control and those operating (at least theoretically) under authority of some kind approved by the Roman Senate. As noted in the chapter on Elagabalus, this may have involved a physical consolidation of the aes and silver mints, but evidence on this question is unavailable under Gordian III because of the lack of bronze coinage. The Group I(a) coins [including this type] have no consular date, and were struck during 238-240.”

Regarding the meaning of “S C” on the Roman Provincial coins of Antioch in general, see the extensive discussion at McAlee pp. 3-5, stating "There seems to be no doubt that the letters SC on the aes coins of Antioch . . . meant 'Senatus Consulto' and served an analogous or identical function as on the coins of Rome." He goes on to state that “the letters SC on the coins of Antioch . . . mean[], in effect, ‘Roman currency” (as opposed to their meaning on earlier Imperial coins, signifying Senatorial authorization of a particular issue). His summary and conclusion can be found at McAlee p. 5:

image.jpeg.76f20d70b1b7880dd0aabd8c58b287d7.jpeg

The second coin is an undated bronze coin from Hadrianopolis, my first coin from that city, which is now in European Turkey. I found Gordian's distinct smile very appealing, and didn't think that the "planchet flaw" on his cheek detracted significantly from the appeal:

Gordian III, AE 26x28 mm., AD 238-244, Thrace, Hadrianopolis (now Edirne, Turkey). Obv. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right [small planchet defect on cheek], seen from rear, AVT K M ANT – ΓΟPΔIANOC AVΓ (AVΓ ligate) / Rev. Helios, radiate, standing facing, head left, nude apart from cloak falling from left shoulder, raising right hand, and holding globe and whip in left hand, AΔPIANO – Π – OΛEITΩN. 26x28 mm., 9.56 g. RPC [Roman Provincial Coinage] Online VII.2 708 (see https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/7.2/708) [Specimen 20 is this coin, used as “plate coin” for type]; Varbanov II 3793 [Ivan Varbanov, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Vol. II, Thrace (from Abdera to Pautalia) (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria 2005)]; Jurukova 479 (die combination 249/497=465, a new combination) [Y. Jurukova, The Coinage of the Towns in Moesia Inferior and Thrace, 2nd-3rd centuries AD: Hadrianopolis (Sophia 1987)].  Purchased from Harlan J. Berk, Ltd., 223rd Buy or Bid Sale, 20 Apr. 2023, Lot 397, from Mark Gibbons Collection; ex Gorny & Mosch Giessener Münzhandlung, Online Auction 271, 20 May, 2020, Lot 257. (Video of coin at https://www.hjbltd.com/#!/inventory/item-detail/ancient-coins/100346?fromBbs=223rd Buy Or Bid Sale.)*

image.jpeg.e50964ed542e8d4ff3438cabbddfaac7.jpeg

*HJB makes no mention of the Gorny & Mosch provenance, but I have no doubt that it's the same coin. The chances of two different coins looking that much alike and having the same planchet flaw are approximately zero!

image.jpeg.c02c2c2160799ed038dba2639e10cf68.jpeg

Has anyone else bought anything yet from the HJB sale? I also bought an 1892 Grover Cleveland - Adlai Stevenson, Sr. campaign token with a Columbus theme, and will probably post the photo in the appropriate forum here after I write it up.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 16
  • Heart Eyes 1

This lady came today. It showed up in an email from Aegean on vcoins and I immediately jumped over and smashed that buy button.  Love this design!
JuliaDomnaDenariusVENERIVICTR3.png.6227418e819d3fd15aa8b8ed1538331a.png

Julia Domna
Denarius
194 AD
Obverse:  IVLIA DOMNA AVG, draped bust right
Reverse: VENERI VICTR, Venus standing right, naked to waist, leaning on column to left, holding palm and apple

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

23 hours ago, Furryfrog02 said:

This lady came today. It showed up in an email from Aegean on vcoins and I immediately jumped over and smashed that buy button.  Love this design!

By golly, I just got a sestertius like that - great design, like you said, @Furryfrog02

JuliaDomna-Sest.VenusbuttApr2023(0a).jpg.5e35f8b4f2e2068135ade0dd3babefc5.jpg

Julia Domna Æ Sestertius (193-196 A.D.) Rome Mint IVLIA DOMNA AVG draped bust right / VENERI VICTR,  S-C, Venus, naked to waist, standing left from behind, apple in r. hand, palm over shoulder, left elbow resting on column RIC IV Septimius Severus 842; BMCRE 488; Cohen RSC 195. (23.08 grams / 29 mm) eBay April 2023

Die-Match CharacteristicsObv: Slight open-mouth smile. Rev: Droopy palm; Venus has long narrow waist.

Die-Match Obverse:  Portable Antiquities Scheme Unique ID: SF-3442E7 Findspot: St Edmundsbury via OCRE:  973422: PAS Coin

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Marsyas Mike said:

By golly, I just got a sestertius like that - great design, like you said, @Furryfrog02

JuliaDomna-Sest.VenusbuttApr2023(0a).jpg.5e35f8b4f2e2068135ade0dd3babefc5.jpg

Julia Domna Æ Sestertius (193-196 A.D.) Rome Mint IVLIA DOMNA AVG draped bust right / VENERI VICTR,  S-C, Venus, naked to waist, standing left from behind, apple in r. hand, palm over shoulder, left elbow resting on column RIC IV Septimius Severus 842; BMCRE 488; Cohen RSC 195. (23.08 grams / 29 mm) eBay April 2023

Die-Match CharacteristicsObv: Slight open-mouth smile. Rev: Droopy palm; Venus has long narrow waist.

Die-Match Obverse:  Portable Antiquities Scheme Unique ID: SF-3442E7 Findspot: St Edmundsbury via OCRE:  973422: PAS Coin

That's beautiful! I'd love a sestertius but they are out of my price range. Maybe some day. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

I had fun at the last Gorny and Mosch e-auction. All but one of my targets that fit my regular collecting preferences went for prices out of my league (some already in the pre-bid phase...!), so I went for the attractive, interesting, but somewhat unknown issues. 

First, a Prutah issued during the rule of governor Pontius Pilate in Judea. I've wanted to add this little coin to my collection for a long time, but it just didn't fit and there were always different targets I went for. I've still much to read and learn about these issues, which is a lot a fun!

04PontiusPilate.png.65c2f31f083a17818171e64215e0608d.png

Next, an issue that does fit my collecting preferences, and to my surprise I could snatch this up for opening bid. A scarcer denarius issue of Caracalla, with Pluto and Cerberus on the reverse. The reverse is somewhat weak, which may have deterred other bidders. The portrait is splendid. 

30.6.png.ec1d8d222c48639191d824ea4e52622d.png

I was able to catch the next one for just over opening price. The really big boys amongst these double sestertii fetch high prices. It goes without saying that this issue however, also considering the horrible reverse, did not attract many bidders. Except for me, and some other person 🙂 The portrait is just fantastic and I did not have Postumus in my collection. I need to do some reading about the break away Gallic empire, and when I have finally found the time I will surely enjoy it. ID'ing this issue needs more attention. This bust appears to be missing the cuirass, and the reverse seems to be missing the letters 'S C', but OCRE places all the variants under the same RIC 179. 

95.1.png.5147ba648feef64566b165f710805754.png

My last win appeared and when nobody placed a bid, I decided to go for it. I already posted this coin in a separat thread. Its a beauty in hand, and my first Gordian III in my collection.

41.1.png.2c86212ceadaff4e1e08e7c21356851a.png

• Like 11

Saw this come by on eBay and decided to bid, won it quite cheap at 83 euro. It was a type i've been wanting for a long time and the condition could be better but still somewhat presentable 😛

Trajan. AD 98-117. Æ Sestertius. Rome mint. Struck circa AD 104-107. Laureate bust right, slight drapery / Arched, single-span bridge with seven posts across Danube River; single-bay arches at either end, surmounted by statues; boat sailing left in river below. RIC II 569

trajan1.jpg

trajan2.jpg

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 1

TRAJANRIC658.jpg.5caf69619effaa53d3509bb7ce6adbaf.jpg

Imperator Caesar Nerva Traianus Augustus
Sestertius of the Roman Imperial Period 115/117 AD; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 33mm; Weight: 29.66g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II Trajan 658; Provenance: Künker Numismatics Osnabrück, Germany

Obverse: Bust of Trajan, laureate, draped, right. The Inscription reads: IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG DAC GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P for Imperator, Caesar, Nervae Traiano Optimo, Augustus, Dacicus, Germanicus, Dacicus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate, Consul Sextum, Pater Patriae (Imperator, Caesar, Nerva Trajan, the best Augustus, conqueror of the Dacians, conqueror of the Germans, conqueror of the Dacians, high priest, holder of tribunician power, consul for the sixth time, father of the nation); Reverse: Trajan, in military dress, seated right on high platform on left, by him stand two officers; in front of him stand an officer and four soldiers whom he is haranguing; behind in background, three standards. The Inscription reads: IMPERATOR VIIII S C for Imperator Nonum, Senatus Consultum (Imperator for the ninth time. Decree of the senate).

Comments: The depiction commemorates the ninth acclamatio of the emperor as emperor by his troops, which took place during the battles on the eastern borders of the Roman Empire. The issue of this bronze is linked to the emperor's vicennalia, which began to be commemorated from 115 AD onwards, to the donativum that was distributed after the first successes of Trajan's Parthian campaign and the capture of Singara.

A new Trajanus Sestertius arrived...

• Like 9
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

Absolutely stunning sestertius @Prieure de Sion! Lovely patina.

Here is one of my latest, continuing my portrait collection of the Constantinian dynasty. I had been on the lookout for a nice Crispus, and once again my interest turned mostly to the coins of the mint at Rome. 

I wanted a coin that would show Crispus's youth, but also his maturity as a young man in his twenties (not as a 12-year-old!) So I was pleased when I saw this coin for sale. Not only does the youthful portrait capture some degree of seriousness, but the proportions are also well-balanced (which is not a thing you can take for granted on Late Roman coinage!) and the draped and cuirassed bust also lends gravity to the overall composition.

The reverse is less interesting, but I decided that in this little sub-collection, the priority must go to the portraits. I am happy with the new coin!

crispus_rome.jpg.bd29c781445dd46482ed66a357146a4a.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

Here are two of the four coins that I won at the recent Dr. Busso Peus Nachf. auction; I'm happy to report that they arrived safely by Fedex within a couple of days of the package's departure from Frankfurt.

The first one is an example of a very common type, which I bought even though the entire reverse legend and the second half of the obverse legend are missing. Why? The two dolphins playing, of course!  There are 90+ examples of the type on ACSearch, and only a few show the dolphins as well as mine does. For that matter, the serpent on Nero's aegis doesn't show up on most specimens as well as on this one, either.

Nero, Billon Tetradrachm, Year 13 (AD 66/67), Alexandria, Egypt Mint. Obv. Radiate bust of Nero left wearing aegis (with serpent upright) on left shoulder, ΝΕΡΩ ΚΛΑV ΚΑΙΣ [ΣΕΒ ΓΕΡ ΑV]; in left field before Nero, L beneath ΙΓ (Year 13) / Rev. Galley under sail right, flags at masthead and at top corners of mainsail, standard on prow, and helmsman standing right at stern; below ship, two dolphins right, playing in waves; [ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΦΟΡΟΣ]. 25.1 mm., 13.33 g.  RPC [Roman Provincial Coinage] Vol. I  5296 (1992); RPC I Online 5296 (see https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/5296 ); Emmett 121.13; Milne 273 (p. 8); BMC 16 Alexandria 176-177 (p. 21) (ill. Pl. XXX); K&G 14.99 (ill. p. 60); SNG Fr. IV, Alexandria I 514-520 (ill. Pl. 37); Sear RCV I 2009 (p. 395). Purchased from Dr. Busso Peus Nachf., Frankfurt a.M., Germany, Auction 434, 17 Apr. 2023, Lot 360 (ex “Collection of Dr. E.”).*

image.jpeg.05fb419a0d7c9deb5c65004ad5adc0ee.jpeg

*According to the description of this type in the catalog for CNG’s Triton XXI, “The Giovanni Maria Staffieri Collection of the Coins of Roman Alexandria,” Jan. 9, 2018, Lot 16 (ill. p. 17), the type most likely “commemorates Nero’s visit to Greece in AD 66-67.” 

The second coin I'm posting now is my third from the A.K. Collection, ex Triton XX Lot 614:

Julia Domna (under Caracalla), AR Denarius ca. AD 215-217, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right, hair waved vertically and fastened in large bun in back, six horizontal ridges, IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG / Rev. Luna, draped, crescent moon on head, fold of drapery in circle around head, standing in biga of horses prancing left, leaning forward and holding reins in both hands, LVNA LVCIFERA. 20 mm., 3.18 g., 7 hrs. RIC IV-1 379c (p. 273), RSC III 105 (p. 56), Sear RCV II 7101 (ill. p. 553), BMCRE V 10 (p. 432) (ill. Pl. 67.11). Purchased from Dr. Busso Peus Nachf., Frankfurt a.M., Germany, Auction 434, 17 Apr. 2023, Lot 617; ex CNG Triton XX Auction, Jan. 10, 2017, part of group Lot  614 (consisting of 59 silver denarii of Julia Domna), No. E049*; ex A.K. Collection**; ex stock of Münzen und Medaillen AG, Basel, Switzerland, purchased 1963.

image.jpeg.a3005b5c2f3cdfbc4271911c6d36f4ed.jpeg

* Photo and description of Lot 614 No. E049 (this coin) from the separate Triton XX A.K. Collection catalogue, which unfortunately is no longer available online. (I already happened to have a copy of the relevant page from that catalogue, which I received from a dealer from whom I bought No. E051 a couple of years ago.)

image.jpeg.ae82829c8ef423e4ea022845f3bfb7b2.jpeg

**The Triton XX catalogue’s group photo and description of Lot 614 and the A.K. Collection. The reverse of my Luna Lucifera denarius (above the small red dot) is among the handful of individual coins illustrated in the photo accompanying Lot 614. 

image.jpeg.25bd41a21064f4366106a38915a41e4c.jpeg

“Collection of 59 Roman silver denarii and antoniniani of Julia Domna.
AD 193-217. AR Denarii & Antoniniani. Includes the following: 58 AR denarii and 1 AR antoninianus(different mints). Fifty-nine (59) coins in lot. Coins Fine to EF, toned. Photos and detailed descriptions available online at http://ak.cngcoins.com [no longer available online].

The A.K. Collection of the coins of the Roman Empire was carefully assembled over several decades with a great deal of thought and commitment. The present selection consists of 755 silver and bronze pieces, mostly from the reigns of Commodus, Septimius Severus, Caracalla, Geta, Macrinus, and Diadumenian, and includes both Provincial and Imperial issues. There are also lots with a selection of Provincial coins and imitations of Hadrian to Antoninus Pius. The coins have been divided into the following 14 lots: seven lots contain only silver coins; two lots only contain bronzes; four lots containing only Provincial issues; two lots are from A.K.'s collection of Alexandrian coins; and one lot of ancient imitations and fourrées, etc. of silver and bronze coins of Antoninus Pius to Geta.

The quality of the coins ranges from Fine to Extremely fine. This interesting collection includes some very rare coins, as well as pieces from important collections like those of Dattari, Levis, Nägeli, Niggeler, Prince W(aldeck), Rosen, Steger, Stöcklin, and Voirol. In addition, most of the coins are provenanced from auctions or lists or were bought directly from stock such as those of J. Schulman, Amsterdam; Münzhandlung Basel; Münzen und Medaillen AG, Basel; Dr. Wruck and Habelt, Berlin; W. Winkel, Bielefeld;Frankfurter Münzhandlung E. Button, later Schweizerischer Bankverein, and B. Peus Frankfurt; H.P.R. Frey, Freiburg; Lanz, Graz; Rigö Münzenhandlung Konstanz; Naville,Geneva; Kurpfälzische Münzhandlung, Mannheim; Ars et Nummus, Milano; E. Beckenbauer, G. Hirsch, Münchner Münzhandlung K. Kress, and L. von Ohlendorf, Munich; AlexMalloy, New York; Seaby, London; E. Bourgey, Maison Florange, Maison Platt, and J. Vinchon, Paris; L. De Nicola, Rome; H.-W. Müller, Solingen; G. Neider, Stadtbergen; H.H.Kricheldorf, Stuttgart; G. Bernardi, Trieste; H.D. Rauch, Vienna; Bank Leu, and F. Sternberg, Zurich. 

A separate, fully illustrated catalogue of the complete collection has been compiled, containing the photos and full description of all the coins in each lot. This  catalogue will be available during the Triton lot viewing at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York, but you may also request that a catalogue be sent to you.”

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor
22 hours ago, DonnaML said:

The second coin I'm posting now is my third from the A.K. Collection, ex Triton XX Lot 614:

Julia Domna (under Caracalla), AR Denarius ca. AD 215-217, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right, hair waved vertically and fastened in large bun in back, six horizontal ridges, IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG / Rev. Luna, draped, crescent moon on head, fold of drapery in circle around head, standing in biga of horses prancing left, leaning forward and holding reins in both hands, LVNA LVCIFERA. 20 mm., 3.18 g., 7 hrs. RIC IV-1 379c (p. 273), RSC III 105 (p. 56), Sear RCV II 7101 (ill. p. 553), BMCRE V 10 (p. 432) (ill. Pl. 67.11). Purchased from Dr. Busso Peus Nachf., Frankfurt a.M., Germany, Auction 434, 17 Apr. 2023, Lot 617; ex CNG Triton XX Auction, Jan. 10, 2017, part of group Lot  614 (consisting of 59 silver denarii of Julia Domna), No. E049*; ex A.K. Collection**; ex stock of Münzen und Medaillen AG, Basel, Switzerland, purchased 1963.

image.jpeg.a3005b5c2f3cdfbc4271911c6d36f4ed.jpeg

* Photo and description of Lot 614 No. E049 (this coin) from the separate Triton XX A.K. Collection catalogue, which unfortunately is no longer available online. (I already happened to have a copy of the relevant page from that catalogue, which I received from a dealer from whom I bought No. E051 a couple of years ago.)

image.jpeg.ae82829c8ef423e4ea022845f3bfb7b2.jpeg

**The Triton XX catalogue’s group photo and description of Lot 614 and the A.K. Collection. The reverse of my Luna Lucifera denarius (above the small red dot) is among the handful of individual coins illustrated in the photo accompanying Lot 614. 

image.jpeg.25bd41a21064f4366106a38915a41e4c.jpeg

“Collection of 59 Roman silver denarii and antoniniani of Julia Domna.
AD 193-217. AR Denarii & Antoniniani. Includes the following: 58 AR denarii and 1 AR antoninianus(different mints). Fifty-nine (59) coins in lot. Coins Fine to EF, toned. Photos and detailed descriptions available online at http://ak.cngcoins.com [no longer available online].

The A.K. Collection of the coins of the Roman Empire was carefully assembled over several decades with a great deal of thought and commitment. The present selection consists of 755 silver and bronze pieces, mostly from the reigns of Commodus, Septimius Severus, Caracalla, Geta, Macrinus, and Diadumenian, and includes both Provincial and Imperial issues. There are also lots with a selection of Provincial coins and imitations of Hadrian to Antoninus Pius. The coins have been divided into the following 14 lots: seven lots contain only silver coins; two lots only contain bronzes; four lots containing only Provincial issues; two lots are from A.K.'s collection of Alexandrian coins; and one lot of ancient imitations and fourrées, etc. of silver and bronze coins of Antoninus Pius to Geta.

The quality of the coins ranges from Fine to Extremely fine. This interesting collection includes some very rare coins, as well as pieces from important collections like those of Dattari, Levis, Nägeli, Niggeler, Prince W(aldeck), Rosen, Steger, Stöcklin, and Voirol. In addition, most of the coins are provenanced from auctions or lists or were bought directly from stock such as those of J. Schulman, Amsterdam; Münzhandlung Basel; Münzen und Medaillen AG, Basel; Dr. Wruck and Habelt, Berlin; W. Winkel, Bielefeld;Frankfurter Münzhandlung E. Button, later Schweizerischer Bankverein, and B. Peus Frankfurt; H.P.R. Frey, Freiburg; Lanz, Graz; Rigö Münzenhandlung Konstanz; Naville,Geneva; Kurpfälzische Münzhandlung, Mannheim; Ars et Nummus, Milano; E. Beckenbauer, G. Hirsch, Münchner Münzhandlung K. Kress, and L. von Ohlendorf, Munich; AlexMalloy, New York; Seaby, London; E. Bourgey, Maison Florange, Maison Platt, and J. Vinchon, Paris; L. De Nicola, Rome; H.-W. Müller, Solingen; G. Neider, Stadtbergen; H.H.Kricheldorf, Stuttgart; G. Bernardi, Trieste; H.D. Rauch, Vienna; Bank Leu, and F. Sternberg, Zurich. 

A separate, fully illustrated catalogue of the complete collection has been compiled, containing the photos and full description of all the coins in each lot. This  catalogue will be available during the Triton lot viewing at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York, but you may also request that a catalogue be sent to you.”

@mashumio I know you expressed interest in the A.K. Collection, so it occurred to me that you may want to take a look at this post about the new Julia Domna denarius from that collection that I recently acquired.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted elsewhere already, but these are the two latest acquisitions for me, arrived on Thursday 4th May.

6zwCK9op5qGsZ8aHqYy24rLBEFb7m3.jpg.ebe2df10e738105956fecf160f53685c.jpg

Antoninus Pius, AE Dupondius, Rome 140-144 CE.
ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP TR P COS III, radiate head right
 PROVIDENTIAE DEORUM, S-C, winged thunderbolt upright. RIC 663; Cohen 685
Scarce. Green patina with small erosions. 11.72g. 28mm

3mdHg6XtSq4p8JkBZF7zZxy25aQwHr.jpg.3fb45a81a93c32acd4cb04c192185ad9.jpg

Obverse: Bearded male head right. Iberian sign BON behind

Reverse: Helmeted rider with lance in right hand, galloping to the right. Below on line, Iberian inscription BOLSKAN.

AR, 3.44gr. 22mm (VG +). Jenkis Palenzuela type. Huesca province, Spain.
ACIP. 1423.

The "Palenzuela" type coins correspond to the Sertorian war of the years 80-72 BC

• Like 13

For firends of the Flavians 😉 ...

DOMIRIC921.png.e505d85b143ddbb6261e56ab93e4e606.png

Titus Flavius Domitianus as Caesar under Vespasianus
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 76/77 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 3.46g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Vespasian 921; Provenance: Ex Spink Numismatics London, Great Britain (include. original Collector Ticket)

Obverse: Head of Domitian, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: CAESAR AVG F DOMITIANVS for Caesar Augusti FIlius Domitianus (Caesar, son of the emperor Augustus, Domitian); Reverse: Pegasus standing right, left foreleg raised, wings curling up on back. The Inscription reads: COS IIII for Consul Quartum (Consul for the fourth time).

@David Atherton writes: "The reverse copies an Augustan one and might possibly allude to Domitian's foray into poetry. Unlike most of the crude Domitian portraits of the time from the Rome mint, this one has a great beauty and nobility to it that few of his contemporary denarii strive to achieve. Was it a minor slight that most of the better die engravers were used for Vespasian and Titus' coins? Thankfully one slipped through to create a wonderful portrait of the young caesar."

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 2