Post your latest ancient!

CPK

CRI_184_1a.png.83843442afe2f0f41dbbcd7c7dfefe9c.png

Imperator Caesar Marcus Aurelius Commodus Antoninus Augustus
Reign: Commodus; Mint: Rome; Date: 184 AD; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 2.60g; Reference: RIC III Commodus 94a; OCRE Online: http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.3.com.94a; Rare: R2; Provenance: Nomos Numismatics Zurich, Switzerland (Auction 28, Lot 1294)

Obverse: Head of Commodus, laureate, right; Inscription: M COMMODVS ANTON AVG PIVS; Translation: Marcus Commodus Antoninus Augustus Pius; Reverse: Three-legged modius with seven stalks of grain; Inscription: P M TR P VIIII IMP VII COS IIII P P; Translation: Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate Nona, Imperator Septimum, Consul Quartum, Pater Patriae; Translation: High priest, holder of tribunician power for the ninth time, Imperator for the seventh time, consul for the fourth time, father of the nation.

Part of my private collection: klick here

Yes! 😉 Not quite cheap, but cheaper than I had thought, I got a wish coin at Nomos today. I thought I'd have to pay even more Swiss francs, but the prices were quite reasonable from my point of view today. I'm all the more pleased that I won the bid. The evening is saved.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 16
  • Heart Eyes 1

Arrived this morning, phone camera shots for now

iNa37EwEbP8x27oYX4QeTb9WpHN5J6.jpg.c8fe43558bbfe742fd3183b516d491ec.jpg

Hadrian, Rome mint 125 – 126 CE
Hadrianvs Avgvstvs Laureate bust right
COS III above, SC below. Galley with arched cabin in the stern, 5 rowers visible, 1 pilot and a vexillum at the prow, facing right.
AE, AS Light green patina 12.65 g. 26 mm. Scarce.
RIC 2- Volume 3 (Second edition). Hadrian 820, BMC 1342

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 1

CRI_183_4a.png.c51c35d528107ccc09d292b4a844b16c.png

Reign: Commodus; Mint: Rome; Date: 183/184 AD; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17.8mm; Weight: 2.88g; Reference: RIC III Commodus 74; OCRE Online: http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.3.com.74; Rare: R1; Provenance: Comptoir des Monnaies Anciennes Lille, France; Pedigree: –

Obverse: Head of Commodus, laureate, right; Inscription: M COMMODVS ANTON AVG PIVS; Translation: Marcus Commodus Antoninus Augustus Pius; Reverse: Felicitas, draped, standing left, holding caduceus in right hand and sceptre in left hand; at feet, modius; Inscription: P M TR P VIIII IMP VI COS IIII P P; Translation: Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate Nona, Imperator Sextum, Consul Quartum, Pater Patriae; Translation: High priest, holder of tribunician power for the ninth time, Imperator for the sixth time, consul for the fourth time, father of the nation

Part of my private collection: klick here

Unexpectedly and somewhat surprisingly, I got this Commodus from a dealer colleague this evening. Not planned - but with the offer of this beautiful denarius I couldn't say no and grabbed it right away 🙂 

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 1

This one turned up today from Den of Antiquity. I'm very pleased as I have been waiting for an affordable example for a long time.

image.png.ac917319d68c71bc908f3d606e26c328.png

image.png.72431f3320472e5a08971c8293ed126f.png

ROMAN REPUBLICAN. FAUSTUS CORNELIUS SULLA (CIRCA 56 B.C). SILVER DENARIUS. Weight: 3.65 grams. Diameter: 19mm. 

• Like 12
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

A provincial bronze coin from Seleucia ad Calycadnum from Commodus find today his way from N&N to my private collection.

CRP_568_1a.png.14c20300751d5d531737815de8f4e275.png

Reign: Commodus; Mint: Seleucia ad Calycadnum, Cilicia; Date: 180/182 AD; Nominal: Bronze; Material: AE; Diameter: 25mm; Weight: 8.78g; Reference: RPC IV.3 5836 (#6 this coin); Reference: Yothr CRP.568.1a; RPC Online: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/5836; Rare: Specimens 6 (3 in the core collections); Provenance: N&N Numismatics London, Great Britain (Auction 17, Lot 375); Pedigree: –

Obverse: Laureate-headed bust of Commodus wearing cuirass and paludamentum, right; Inscription: ΑVΤ ΚΑΙ ΑVΡΗ ΚΟΜΟΔΟϹ; Translation: Autokrator Kaisaros Aurelios Komodos; Translation: Imperator Caesar Aurelius Commodus

Reverse: Confronted busts of Commodus (stylised Apollo) right, laureate-headed wearing cuirass and paludamentum, and Crispina (stylised Artemis) left, draped and with quiver over shoulder; Inscription: ϹƐΛƐΥΚƐⲰΝ ΤⲰΝ ΠΡοϹ ΤⲰ ΚΑΛV[ΚΑΔΝⲰϹ]; Translation: Seleύkeón tón pros tói Kalύkadnos; Translation: Seleucia from on the Kalydanos (lat. Seleucia ad Calycadnum)

• Like 13

I already have another one on the way, so until that one arrives, this tetarteron is my latest ancient.

1143_to_1183_Comnenus_tetarteron_01.png.a8ef812fe1b84f750b68071b75cdddd4.png1143_to_1183_Comnenus_tetarteron_02.png.07307f2ad1b7810dac4cf546cb17608c.png
Manuel I Comnenus (1143-1183), Æ Tetarteron; Thessalonica; Obv: ⨀/Γ/Є to left and P-over-w/Γ/O/S to right, half-length bust of St. George facing, holding spear and shield ; Rev:  MANɣHΛ ΔЄCΠΟΤ, bust of Manuel facing, holding labarum and globus cruciger; 20 mm,3.24g; DOC 18; Sear 1975

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 3

Finally was able to land a *partial* Claudius denarius. The coin has a clear issue but other then that is of a great style. I paid about 250 for it which I don't believe is that bad considering worse style and quite worn ones can go for 700+ . 

claudius.jpg

• Like 15
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

This little guy came in the mail today. I got him in order to justify the shipping for the other coin I really wanted. Neither were expensive but why not...
Kinda cool since I've never seen one from Mesembria with the crescent shape instead of a wheel, though I guess that's what it is considered.

slazzer-edit-image(51).png.8516c7bb62eb9e25cee742956b4432b8.png

Thrace, Mesembria
 Æ 13
Ca. 350 B.C.
Obverse: Helmeted head of Athena right
Reverse: M-E-T-A, around the compartments inside a wheel
SNG Cop 657

• Like 12

arrived this morning, my first RR

Kx6efKT27rgNawH9Gc3JCDo45qfWPd.jpg.31968fa62e025ed1af48622b14a38433.jpg

GENS NAEVIA. Denarius (Serratus) Ar. 3.89g/19mm. 79 BC Auxiliary workshop of Rome. (FFC 937; Crawford 382/1b). Obv: Diademed head of Venus right, S.C behind, dotted border. Rev: Victory in triga to the right, with one horse looking backwards. Control marker L, above. C NAE BALB in exergue, dotted border.

• Like 11
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

11 minutes ago, expat said:

arrived this morning, my first RR

Kx6efKT27rgNawH9Gc3JCDo45qfWPd.jpg.31968fa62e025ed1af48622b14a38433.jpg

GENS NAEVIA. Denarius (Serratus) Ar. 3.89g/19mm. 79 BC Auxiliary workshop of Rome. (FFC 937; Crawford 382/1b). Obv: Diademed head of Venus right, S.C behind, dotted border. Rev: Victory in triga to the right, with one horse looking backwards. Control marker L, above. C NAE BALB in exergue, dotted border.

That's a beauty!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One of the recents

3592811_1671210877.jpg.c655d7b173758ca64718ff184633474f.jpg

Cyzicus civic issue
AE18mm 3.60g copper unit, minted at Cyzicus ca. 186-192.
Draped bust of Kore Soteira wearing hairband, r.
ΚYΖΙΚΗΝΩΝ; Vase -- possibly amphora or krateros -- with wide neck and two handles
RPC IV.2 795

Despite the condition I like this representation of Kore-Persephone with the wine amphora or crater on the reverse, likely alluding to wine-making and even more likely consumption. Considering that they are rather scarce (just 2 specs in RPC) I wonder if these weren't actually meant as tokens for a local harvest celebration at Cyzicus during the late reign of Commodus.

Edited by seth77
  • Like 10

A Caligula province bronze found its way to me today...

caligula.png.08052b22563a7f31ac9a9f8d4f21e45e.png

Caligula, Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus
Bronze of the Roman Imperial Period 38/41 AD; Material: AE; Diameter: 25mm; Weight: 11.40g; Mint: Uncertain mint of Thrace; Reference: RPC I. 1723, Youroukova 209 pl. XXV; Obverse: Laureate head of Caligula to left. The Inscription reads: ΓΑΙΩ ΚΑΙΣΑΡΙ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΩ for Gaios Kaisari Sebsastos (Gaius Caesar Augustus); Reverse: Laureate and draped bust of Rhoemetalces III to left. The Inscription reads: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΥΣ ΡΟΙΜΗΤΑΛΚΑΣ for Basileus Roimetalkas (King Rhoemetalces).

Rhoemetalces III was a King of the Sapaean Thracians. He was the son of the Monarch Rhescuporis II. In association with his wife Pythodoris II (daughter of his cousin Cotys III), they were client rulers of the Sapaean kingdom of Thrace under the Romans from AD 38 to 46, in succession to Pythodoris' mother Tryphaena and Pythodoris' brother Rhoemetalces II. Rhoemetalces III was murdered in 46 AD, by insurgents or on the orders of his wife. The subsequent fate of Pythodoris II is unknown; it seems he did not have any children with his cousin. Thrace became incorporated into the Roman Empire as a province.

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 1

14 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

A Caligula province bronze found its way to me today...

caligula.png.08052b22563a7f31ac9a9f8d4f21e45e.png

Bronze of the Roman Imperial Period 38/41 AD; Material: AE; Diameter: 25mm; Weight: 11.40g; Mint: Uncertain mint of Thrace; Reference: RPC I. 1723, Youroukova 209 pl. XXV; Obverse: Laureate head of Caligula to left. The Inscription reads: ΓΑΙΩ ΚΑΙΣΑΡΙ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΩ for Gaios Kaisari Sebsastos (Gaius Caesar Augustus); Reverse: Laureate and draped bust of Rhoemetalces III to left. The Inscription reads: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΥΣ ΡΟΙΜΗΤΑΛΚΑΣ for Basileus Roimetalkas (King Rhoemetalces).

Rhoemetalces III was a King of the Sapaean Thracians. He was the son of the Monarch Rhescuporis II. In association with his wife Pythodoris II (daughter of his cousin Cotys III), they were client rulers of the Sapaean kingdom of Thrace under the Romans from AD 38 to 46, in succession to Pythodoris' mother Tryphaena and Pythodoris' brother Rhoemetalces II. Rhoemetalces III was murdered in 46 AD, by insurgents or on the orders of his wife. The subsequent fate of Pythodoris II is unknown; it seems he did not have any children with his cousin. Thrace became incorporated into the Roman Empire as a province.

That's a remarkable portrait for a provincial! The style is reminiscent of that from his aureii and denarii.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2023 at 2:39 PM, Victrix said:

Finally was able to land a *partial* Claudius denarius. The coin has a clear issue but other then that is of a great style. I paid about 250 for it which I don't believe is that bad considering worse style and quite worn ones can go for 700+ . 

claudius.jpg

That's a nice acquisition!   It certainly beats my horror of a Claudius Aureus.

My second Caligula from the province this weekend. I had four more coins on my wish list, but I was not at home and my pre-bids were all exceeded. 

lot503caligulalogo.png.9b3f7a7e1a01a7eaa97bf0ad2b8dbb26.png

Under Magistrate Straton Medeos; Bronze of the Roman Imperial Period 37/41 AD; Material: AE; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 4.47g; Mint: Aezani, Phrygia; Reference: RPC I 3075, BMC 58; Obverse: Laureate head of Caligula, right. The Inscription reads: ΓΑΙΟΣ ΚΑΙΣΑΡ for Gaios Kaisaros (Gaius Caesar); Reverse: Zeus standing, left, with eagle and sceptre. The Inscription reads: ΑΙΖΑΝΙΤWΝ ƐΠΙ ΜΗΔΗΟΥ for Aizaniton epi Medeou ([Coin] of the citizens of Aezani, [struck] under Aristarchos Medeos).

Aizanoi (Latin Aezani) is an ancient city in the landscape of Phrygia in Asia Minor (today Turkey, near Çavdarhisar, about 50 km southwest of Kütahya). It lies in the valley of the Bedir Çayı (Penkalas), a headwater river of the Kocaçay (Rhyndakos). Extensive excavations make Aizanoi a well-researched example of a smaller city, especially during the Roman Empire. According to the founding legend, the city was founded by Arcadian settlers. There is archaeological evidence of settlement as early as the 3rd millennium BC, but a more extensive settlement did not emerge until the Hellenistic period. Around 200 BC, the area in which Aizanoi is located became part of the Kingdom of Pergamon as Phrygia epiktetos ("acquired Phrygia"); for a time it also belonged to Bithynia. The Pergamenian kings settled mercenaries who probably came from Macedonia. Together with its entire empire, the city became part of the Roman province of Asia after 133 BC.

Aizanoi experienced a great boom in the early imperial period. In particular, numerous public buildings were erected, such as a temple to Artemis Hagiotate in the middle of the 1st century AD, and before its end the sanctuary of Zeus, the main god of the city, in the form of a pseudodipteros. Large parts of it have been preserved. On the walls of the cella are the remains of extensive inscriptions from Hadrianic times, which refer to the land ownership of the sanctuary. Remarkable is a barrel vault with light windows underneath, which probably served as a cult room. Another important deity was the metre Steunene, who was worshipped in a cave. In the 2nd century AD, a theatre was also built in several construction phases, which was connected to the neighbouring stadium in an unusual way. In addition, the banks of the Penkala were fortified and in 157 a bridge was built that still exists today. Some of these building measures are connected with a rich family of the city, especially Ulpius Appuleianus Flavianus and his son Ulpius Appuleius Eurycles. Eurycles was also an envoy to the Panhellenion in Athens, which Hadrian had established. During this time, a large bath and gymnasium complex was also built, as well as a water conduit that probably led to it. Other public buildings included a round building that served as a macellum (market building) and to which a copy of Diocletian's maximum price edict was attached, and a late antique (around 400 AD) colonnaded street.

• Like 12

My latest isn't deserving enough for its own thread ... but I thought worthy enough to share.

V742a.jpg.834d0dd365d6ce41181be2ff469551d3.jpg

Titus as Caesar [Vespasian]

Æ Dupondius, 13.58g
Rome mint, 74 AD
Obv: T CAESAR IMP COS III CENS; Head of Titus, radiate, bearded, r.
Rev: FELICITAS PVBLICA; S C in field; Felicitas stg. l., with caduceus and cornucopiae
RIC 742 (C). BMC 707. BNC 729.
Acquired from AE-Collections, May 2023.

Felicitas on the reverse symbolises the prosperity and abundance the Flavian dynasty has brought to the empire. The type was struck for all three Flavians under Vespasian and is certainly one of the more abundant reverse types of the reign.

In hand.

• Like 12
  • Yes 1

Delivered this morning

gG45Xy6R4MWtwSb39nJMkEd7Lq8ie2.jpg.d1e968afee95558845cf1fcbdc592be3.jpg

THRACE. Apollonia Pontika. Circa 450-400 BC. AR
Drachm (14mm, 3.16 gm). Upturned anchor;
crayfish to left; A to right / Gorgoneion facing with lolling tongue and head surrounded by serpents.
SNG BM Black Sea 153: SNG Berry 391

• Like 10

This one recently arrived:

Bildschirmfoto2023-06-05um15_33_34.png.7715c03703b7070eb5830dacf802e3df.png

Thasos, Island of Thrace, AR teradrachm, c. 90–75 BC. Obv: head of Dionysos r., wearing ivy-wreath. Rev: HPAKΛEOYΣ ΣΩTHPOΣ ΘAΣIΩN, youthful Herakles standing l., holding club and lion's skin; monogram in l. field. 31mm, 16.07g. Ref: Prokopov, Silberprägung, Group XVI, 174; Le Rider, Thasiennes 52; HGC 6, 359.

• Like 9

The perfect reverse type for an emperor who reformed coinage standards. Got it cheap too.

D493.jpg.30a35e73fd5e968e1e0e66ef3b2b7da3.jpg

Domitian
Æ As, 10.76g
Rome mint, 86 AD
Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XII CENS PER P P; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r., with aegis
Rev: MONETA AVGVSTI; S C in field; Moneta stg. l., with scales and cornucopiae
RIC 493 (C3). BMC 389. BNC 418.
Ex eBay Tater's Relics, 16 May 2023.

In 82 Domitian reformed the coinage by increasing the weight of the gold and fineness of the silver. Production of the bronze coinage was suspended while the mint was reorganised and resumed in 84 with new reverse types and a higher artistic standard. Appropriately, one of the first types struck on the bronze after the coinage reform was Moneta, 'mint goddess of the emperor'. H. Mattingly believes Moneta in this context can be seen as symbolising Domitian's control of the mint and as paymaster to the empire. A fitting reverse design for an emperor who cared so much for his coinage. Mirroring the silver, many of the bronze coins struck in the first year or so after the coinage reform have portraits with an aegis, an extra detail likely due to Domitian's attentive care. Under Domitian Moneta became a regular feature of the coinage and was struck year after year on the As issues. This example from 86 is one of the most common types struck for the as issue that year, perhaps indicating the importance of the reverse message.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 9
  • Cool Think 1

Here is the first of three, arrived this morning

jS5QNGc2iP3L7nJKoPy8i4Zp9x6SD6-Copy.jpg.a9d1c217d3be7c856eb8ace1d7e340b7.jpg

TRAJAN. Æ. Dupondius. 112-114 AD

Obverse: IMP. CAES. NERVAE TRAIANO AVG. GER. DAC. P.M. TR. P.COS. VI PP -Radiate and draped bust to the right.
Reverse: FORTVNA REDVCI. Fortuna seated left, holding rudder and cornucopia; SC in exergue.

12.62g 27mm. Woytek 484v; Vienna MK 8496-8497. RIC II 629 var (bust type); Cohen 166 var (bust type); BMC 992 note; Sear 3217

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor

Just acquired yesterday. 

Probus (276-282 C.E.)

AE Antoninianus, 3.9 grams

Ticinum Mint, Mark XXI

Obverse: Helmeted and Radiate bust of Probus left with right hand holding spear over shoulder. In left, shield depicting three rows of soldiers holding shields. VIRTVS PROBI AVG

Reverse: Sol standing left nude but for cloak, holding globe in left hand and right arm raised in acclamation. CONSERVAT AVG

Reference: like RIC 351G, Note no examples from Wildwinds have a matching decorated shield.

probus.jpg.0e66a60555f8aba707de3a64228150bd.jpg

• Like 8
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

A new incoming...

CRAWFRRC452-2.jpg.11c8839012e1c3cb6081fccf93468143.jpg

Gaius Iulius Caesar
Denarius of the Roman Republic Period late spring-early / summer 48 BC; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 4.03g; Mint: Military mint, Greece (?); Reference: Crawford RRC 452/2; Obverse: Female (Clementia?) head, right, wearing oak-wreath and diadem. Border of dots. The Inscriptions reads: LII (Fifty-two); Reverse: Trophy with Gallic shield and carnyx; on right, axe. Border of dots. The Inscription reads: CAESAR for Caesar ([Gaius Iulius] Caesar).

• Like 9
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 6