Post your latest ancient!

CPK

These arrived today.

20230509_214326.jpg.7c8a4dfe6c8ca923c16b229f72dd0d42.jpg

An aureus of Caracalla with a couple of holes (RIC 200), an RR as (Cr. 355/1a) and an RR denarius (Cr 300/1).   The denarius is a brockage.

They're all on a very useful reference on Papal medals by Bartolotti.   I collect these and the 19th century examples are often very well engraved.

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 18
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

A new Commodus from Heritage for my Collection...

YothrCRI_187_4a.png.fe0b29bd33384617f008a1a6895808d2.png

Imperator Caesar Marcus Aurelius Commodus Antoninus Augustus
Reign: Commodus; Mint: Rome; Date: 187/188 AD; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 3.51g; Reference: RIC III Commodus 168a; OCRE Online: http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.3.com.168a; Rare: R1; Provenance: Heritage Numismatics Dallas, USA (Auction 232318 May 2023, Lot 61206)

Obverse: Head of Commodus, laureate, right; Inscription: M COMM ANT P FEL AVG BRIT; Translation: Marcus Commodus Antoninus Pius Felix Augustus Britannicus; Translation: Marcus Commodus Antoninus, the pious, the fortunate, Augustus, conqueror of the Britons

Reverse: Liberalitas, draped, standing front, head left, holding pileus in right hand and rod horizontally above head in left hand; Inscription: P M TR P XIII IMP VIII COS V P P; Translation: Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate Tertia Decima, Imperator Octavum, Consul Quintum, Pater Patriae; Translation: High priest, holder of tribunician power for the 13th time, Imperator for the eighth time, consul for the fifth time, father of the nation

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, CPK said:

@Prieure de Sion Heritage slabs most/all of its coins...did you crack this one out?

Yes... they slab this coin too:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/ancients/roman-imperial/ancients-commodus-as-augustus-ad-177-192-ar-denarius-18mm-12h-ngc-choice-xf/a/232318-61206.s?type=notice-winnernotification

The parcel was on the way to me. But if it arrives here - I will crack the slab. YES! 😄 

28037390%5D,sizedata%5B612x600%5D&call=u28037391%5D,sizedata%5B612x600%5D&call=u

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 16
  • Smile 1

Managed to pick up this budget example that will go well with the female version I have. 

The obverse portrait has sometimes been identified as the famous chief of the Arverni, Vercingetorix, whom Julius Caesar captured in 52 BC in Alesia.

L. Hostilius Saserna AR Denarius. Rome, 48 BC. Head of Gallic captive to right; [Gallic shield behind] / Two warriors in biga to right: one driving, holding whip and reins, and the other, facing backward, holding shield and brandishing spear; [L•HOSTILIVS] above, SAS[ERN] below. Crawford 448/2a; CRI 18; BMCRR Rome 3994-5; RSC Hostilia 2. 3.41g, 18mm, 3h.

vercin.jpg

Edited by Victrix
  • Like 22
  • Heart Eyes 1

Today I bought my first - believe it or not - tetradrachm from Alexandria at the Kölner Münzkabinett (greetings to the colleagues) for a really fair price. 

CRP_27_1a.png.9b5c919f0f3ff08769802697b5c230ec.png

Imperator Caesar Marcus Aurelius Commodus Antoninus Augustus
Reign: Commodus; Mint: Alexandria, Egypt; Date: 183/184 AD; Nominal: Tetradrachm; Material: Billon; Diameter: 26mm; Weight: 11.97g; Reference: RPC IV.4 14196; Reference: Dattari 3874; Reference: Geissen 2215; RPC Online: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/14196; Rare: Specimens 31 (16 in the core collections); Provenance: Kölner Münzkabinett, Germany; Provenance: Naville Numismatics London, Great Britain (Auction 41, Lot 268, 2018); Provenance: Heritage Numismatics Dallas, USA (Signature Sale 3042, Lot 32195, 2015)

Obverse: Laureate head of Commodus, right; Inscription: Μ Α ΚΟ ΑΝΤⲰ ϹƐΒ ƐVϹƐΒ; Translation: Marcos Aurelios Komodos Antōninos Sebastos Eusebes; Translation: Marcus Aurelius Commodus Antoninus Augustus Pius; Reverse: Draped bust of Nilus, right, crowned with taenia and lotus-buds, cornucopia at shoulder; Inscription: L ΚΔ; Translation: ΛUΚΑΒΑϚ (λυκαβας) Kappa (20) Delta (4); Translation: Year 24 (183/84 AD)

Part of my private Collection

• Like 19
  • Heart Eyes 3

Just got back from taking the tadpoles to Disneyland in CA. I pulled the trigger on this lady before we left and she arrived while we were gone. I was super excited to open the package today 🙂
One more emperor with a Victory reverse is in the books.

slazzer-edit-image(50).png.c66069589b846858401eab3ac4fd279c.png

Philip I
AR Antoninianus
Obverse: IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG, radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right
Revere: VICTORIA AVG, Victory hurrying right, holding wreath and palm branch.

• Like 17
  • Clap 1

On 5/7/2023 at 11:51 AM, DonnaML said:

@mashumio I know you expressed interest in the A.K. Collection, so it occurred to me that you may want to take a look at this post about the new Julia Domna denarius from that collection that I recently acquired.

Thank you very much for letting me know, it is a very fine coin! The A.K. Collection really is impressive.

I also enjoyed looking at your Nero Tetradrachm.  Amazing dolphins.  I own one of these coins and looking at yours has me searching for dolphins.  😄  

Edited by mashumio
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got this one in a little while ago. With these types, I prefer the portrait style of Ticinum over that of Treveri.

In particular, I like the detail on Constantine's helmet brow guard and cuirass. You can even identify the individual shoulder piece hinges (more readily apparent in-hand than in the photo.) Overall, the portrait is very nicely done.

The reverse is also good. I don't know if that's the captive's hairstyle or if they're wearing some sort of turban-like headgear. You can see some facial detail on them. The vexillum is nice and sharp, complete with fringe.

As you can see the coin features reflective, toned silvered surfaces, adding to its attractiveness.

constantine_i_captives_ticinum_2.jpg.c8b041665adc52c7b6648fed3df3d95a.jpg

• Like 16
  • Heart Eyes 3

Just in from an eBay undescribed lot, this is a damaged, fairly humdrum Gordian III radiate from Viminacium. 

However, the obverse legend has an error - VAG instead of AVG.  Which is pretty cool, I think.  This error has been noted on the awesome Viminacium site:  http://www.viminacium.nl/English Gordianus III.html

Viminacium-GordianIIIDup.Pick77var.ERRORVAG-MINEpic0.jpg.4e189b27218161c2f1f87086e792b174.jpg

Gordian III  Æ Dupondius Year 2 (240-241 A.D.) Viminacium, Moesia Superior IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS VAG, radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right / PMSCO LVIM, Moesia  standing facing, bull and lion either side, ANII in exergue. Pick 77 var.; Varbanov 109 var. (6.46 grams / 23 x 21 mm) eBay May 2023  Attribution Note:  "Remark: This coin has the die makers fault VAG in stead of AVG in the text on the obverse." viminacium.nl website This is an obverse die match to this site's example. Also: "Remark: The bull on the left side of Moesia has the left leg in an upright position as if he is walking."

Legend detail:

Viminacium-GordianIIIDup.Pick77var.ERRORVAG-MINEpic0det.jpg.d55e819dfafba6bcea19eb8f049a1cc9.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CPK said:

Got this one in a little while ago. With these types, I prefer the portrait style of Ticinum over that of Treveri.

In particular, I like the detail on Constantine's helmet brow guard and cuirass. You can even identify the individual shoulder piece hinges (more readily apparent in-hand than in the photo.) Overall, the portrait is very nicely done.

The reverse is also good. I don't know if that's the captive's hairstyle or if they're wearing some sort of turban-like headgear. You can see some facial detail on them. The vexillum is nice and sharp, complete with fringe.

As you can see the coin features reflective, toned silvered surfaces, adding to its attractiveness.

constantine_i_captives_ticinum_2.jpg.c8b041665adc52c7b6648fed3df3d95a.jpg

Perhaps the Swabian knot?   Roman prisoner, National Museum of Romanian Historyimage.jpeg.bcd575dde366692b893c935102d0ae4d.jpegPhoto by CristianChirita - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=31200008 

• Like 9

Hi All,

Here's my latest.

CLEOPATRA VII PHILOPATOR THEA NEOTERA (51-31/30 BCE)
EGYPT, ALEXANDRIA, Year 20 (31 Aug 33 - 30 Aug 32 BCE)

image.png.1c632f62a78574d1d4602170da055371.png

Ar Stater (Tetradrachm)
Size: 23x2 4mm
Weight: 13.85
Die Axis: 11:00
Broucheion Collection P-2023-05-06.001

OBV: Ptolemy I head facing right, wearing diadem. Scaly aegis tied by snakes not visible. Dotted border.
REV: Eagle on thunderbolt facing left, wings closed with palm branch over right shoulder. To left: [ΠΤΟΛΕΜAIO]Y, in left field: LK above headdress of Isis; to right: BACIΛE[ΩC], in right field: ΠΑ. Dotted border.
Refs: Svoronos-1834, pl lxi, 18 [17 listed]; SNG Copenhagen-416; Sear-7953 var: year 22.
Provenance: Bought From eBay 05-May-2023 for $82.56 (= winning bid $71 + $5.00 Shipping + $6.56 Tax).
Note: Seller's INCORRECT DESCRIPTION: "80-58 BC ~ AR TETRADRACHM ~ PTOLEMY XII OF EGYPT ~ 1ST REIGN ~ GREEK"

Final thoughts: I suppose the dark spots will clean up with some lemon juice. It pays to be able to tell Ptolemy XII from his daughter Cleopatra.

- Broucheion

Edited by Broucheion
Typo
  • Like 14

On 5/6/2023 at 12:17 AM, DonnaML said:

Here are two of the four coins that I won at the recent Dr. Busso Peus Nachf. auction; I'm happy to report that they arrived safely by Fedex within a couple of days of the package's departure from Frankfurt.

My lots from Peus just arrived yesterday. They were held by FedEx for 10 days because "Description provided is insufficient to classify commodity." After waiting a couple of days and seeing no change in the status, I called FedEx. The problem, it seemed, was that the invoice and shipping documents were written in German. Imagine that. I was sent a "Commercial Invoice" form which I filled out - with description of the lots in English - and returned. The next day the lots were released.

• Like 3
  • Shock 1
  • Confused 1

And another Crispina today - but a provincial bronze from Philippopolis (Thrace), where I was attracted by the interesting reverse side. It is very likely that the emperor is on the horse. And here most probably Commodus (Marcus Aurelius as father-in-law makes little sense). It is unclear whether the image below the emperor and horse is a hunting dog or a rabbit. The dog has somewhat long ears. Some say so, others say so.

Today I was able to register the coin at RPC Online: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/7617 

YothrCRP_510_81a.png.633f0244df989c3e875bf9fb3865ce4d.png

Bruttia Crispina
Reign: Marcus Aurelius or Commodus; Mint: Philippopolis, Thrace; Date: 178/182 AD; Nominal: Bronze; Material: AE; Diameter: 25mm; Weight: 8.85g; Reference: RPC IV.1 7617; Reference: Varbanov Philippopolis XII.15.2; Reference: Mouchmov Philippopolis 251; Rare: Specimens 6 (0 in the core collections); Provenance: N&N Collection Numismatics, Luxembourg; Pedigree: –; Special: RPC Online Plate coin

Obverse: Draped bust of Crispina, right; Inscription: ΚΡΙϹΠΕΙΝΑ ϹΕΒΑϹΤΗ; Translation: Krispeina Sebaste; Translation: Crispina Augusta; Reverse: Male figure (Commodus?) on horseback, right, holding spear horizontally; hound or rabbit right below; Inscription: ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΠΟΛΕΙΤΩΝ; Translation: Philippopoleiton; Translation: City of Philippopolis

Part of my private collection: klick here

• Like 17

17 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

And another Crispina today - but a provincial bronze from Philippopolis (Thrace), where I was attracted by the interesting reverse side. It is very likely that the emperor is on the horse. And here most probably Commodus (Marcus Aurelius as father-in-law makes little sense). It is unclear whether the image below the emperor and horse is a hunting dog or a rabbit. The dog has somewhat long ears. Some say so, others say so.

Today I was able to register the coin at RPC Online: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/7617 

YothrCRP_510_81a.png.633f0244df989c3e875bf9fb3865ce4d.png

Bruttia Crispina
Reign: Marcus Aurelius or Commodus; Mint: Philippopolis, Thrace; Date: 178/182 AD; Nominal: Bronze; Material: AE; Diameter: 25mm; Weight: 8.85g; Reference: RPC IV.1 7617; Reference: Varbanov Philippopolis XII.15.2; Reference: Mouchmov Philippopolis 251; Rare: Specimens 6 (0 in the core collections); Provenance: N&N Collection Numismatics, Luxembourg; Pedigree: –; Special: RPC Online Plate coin

Obverse: Draped bust of Crispina, right; Inscription: ΚΡΙϹΠΕΙΝΑ ϹΕΒΑϹΤΗ; Translation: Krispeina Sebaste; Translation: Crispina Augusta; Reverse: Male figure (Commodus?) on horseback, right, holding spear horizontally; hound or rabbit right below; Inscription: ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΠΟΛΕΙΤΩΝ; Translation: Philippopoleiton; Translation: City of Philippopolis

Part of my private collection: klick here

Some people call that hare a dog? It only needs a carrot.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

Been a while since I did a v-coins purchase. I'm always quite fond of Trajan and found it to have a lovely bust. 

Trajan. AD 98-117. AR Denarius (18.5mm, 3.3g,). Rome mint. Struck circa AD 110. Laureate bust right, slight drapery / Roma standing left, holding Victory and spear.

trajani.png

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

Here comes a Otho Denarius...

OTHORIC8.jpg.4d009ea4978de826afbce13788857e18.jpg

Marcus Salvius Otho
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 69 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 3.34g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC I (second edition) Otho 8; Obverse: Head of Otho, bare, right. The Inscription reads: IMP M OTHO CAESAR AVG TR P for Imperator Marcus Otho Caesar Augustur Tribunicia Potestas (Imperator Marcus Otho, Caesar and Augustus, tribunician power); Reverse: Securitas, draped, standing left, holding wreath in right hand and sceptre in left. The Inscription reads: SECVRITAS P R for Securitas Populi Romani (Safety of the Roman people).

• Like 13
  • Yes 2
  • Heart Eyes 5

Trajan Decius an Alexandrian Tetradrachm from his first year of rule....sent by Philip in 249 to squash a rebellion in Pannonia and Moesia by Tiberius Claudius Marinus Pacatianus, Trajan Decius rebelled himself and ultimately prevailed over Philip in battle to become emperor.

image.png.1b90ac5680797f4c07c191dc3c5ccb5e.png

Egypt, Alexandria, Trajan Decius, AD 249-251, Potin Tetradrachm (24mm, 13.2g, 12h). Dated RY 1 (AD 249/250)

Obv: Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right

Rev: Serapis standing facing, head right, holding scepter; L A (date) across field

Ref: Dattari (Savio) 10493 (p267)

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 3