Post your latest ancient!

CPK

• Benefactor
5 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Fantastic coins @DonnaML - all of them! Gratulation...

... but that's my favorite - include this one from...

... Septimius Severus. 

AV K L CEΠ CEVHPOC Π
Autokratoros Kaisaros Lucios Septimios Sevros Pertinax
Imperator Caesar Lucius Septimius Severus Pertinax

VΠA AVP ΓAΛΛOV NEIKOΠ ΠPOC IC
Upatos Aurelios Gallou Nikopoliton (Nikopolitai) pros Istros
Consul (legatus Augusti pro praetore) Aurelius Gallus, City of Nicopolis ad Istrum

Possible deviations:
Obverse - (1) The beginning and end of the writing is missing; (2) -
Reverse - NEIKOΠ seems to be improved in the stamp from NEIKOT (1), so probably also on (2) where this part of the writing is missing and on (3) where only NEIKO can be read. 

Examples
(1) Paris Mionnet S. 2, 123, 389
(2) Wien Mus. Theup. 942
(3) Chaim descr. 33

The A on the reverse of the Paris example has everywhere the form Λ.

Thank you very much for the translation, @Prieure de Sion!

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

After some time, once again a coin from Elymais

normal_SA043_Elymais.jpg.32734d296547721cf3a1f65924f31702.jpg

KINGS of ELYMAIS.
Kamnaskires V. Circa 54/3-33/2 BCE.
AR/BI Drachm (3.77 g, 12h).
Seleukeia on the Hedyphon mint. Uncertain date.
Obv.: Diademed bust left; behind anchor
Rev.: Diademed bust left; [date off flan].
Ref.: van’t Haaff Type 9.1.2-6A

• Like 15

image.png.642f9e34714032249eca49e9b5810a7f.png

Imperator Caesar Marcus Aurelius Commodus Antoninus Augustus
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 180 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 3.60g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC III Commodus 5 var; Obverse: Laureate, draped and cuirassed Head of Commodus to right. The Inscription reads: M COMMODVS ANTONINVS AVG for Marcus Commodus Antoninus Augustus; Reverse: Roma, helmeted, draped, seated right, holding spear in right hand and parazonium in left hand. The Inscription reads: TR P V IMP IIII COS II P P for Tribunicia Potestate Quinta, Imperator Quartum, Consul Secundum, Pater Patriae (Holder of tribunician power for the fifth time, Imperator for the fourth time, consul for the second time, father of the nation).

Today I discovered this small Commodus Denarius and also bought it immediately. However, here should only Commodus lovers the heart rise. The type RIC 5 is generally rather a rare Commodus type - but here it is an extremely rare variant of the RIC 5. Or in other words - this coin does not appear in the RIC III at all.

http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.3.com.5

This type exists in RIC III only as "Head of Commodus, laureate, right" - but not with "Laureate, draped and cuirassed...".

The last 22 years this variant appeared only once in an auction!

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

Bought a group lot that had some really nice coins in it. Here is one that will stay in my best of Byzantine collection.

534.jpg.58847bee7fe30e74ef6a390bf046a667.jpg

Maurice Tiberius, 582-602. Half Follis (Bronze, 23 mm, 5.63 g, 6 h), Theoupolis (Antiochia), RY 2 = 583-4. ΠITATISSNVPTIS Crowned facing bust of Maurice Tiberius, wearing crown surmounted with cross and consular robes, holding mappa and eagle-tipped scepter. Rev. Large XX between A/N/N/O and II; above, cross; below, R. DOC 175. MIB 97. SB 534. Good very fine.

• Like 18

On 1/24/2023 at 4:41 PM, filolif said:

After a 2 month trip, this New Style has arrived!

Attica, Athens, silver tetradrachm, (167-166 B.C. or 135-134 B.C. revised date), (16.51 g), obv. head of Athena Parthenos to right, wearing triple crested Athenian helmet, ornamented with Pegasos, dotted border, rev. owl standing right, head facing on prostrate amphora, to left a standing Asklepios with staff and snake, A QE across, on left side across ME, to right side across in five rows NED/EPI/GENO/NIKOG/SOFA on the amphora letter E, below amphora DI, all within olive wreath, (cf.S.2555, Thompson 351a [example in London Pl.35, from the same obverse die], HGC 4, 1602). Nearly extremely fine and very rare.

Thompson reports 101 known tetradrachms featuring Asklepios, from 9 obverse and 63 reverse dies and only one example from this obverse die. There is a difference of 32 year less between Thompson and the suggested revised chronology. This would make this issue 135-4 B.C.  Asklepios (Asclepius) was the god of medicine in ancient Greek religion and mythology. He was also the patron god, and reputed ancestor, of the Asklepiades (Asclepiades), the ancient guild of doctors. Asklepios was the son of Apollo and the Trikkaian (Triccaean) princess Koronis (Coronis).

image.png.7681a403d17eb7b8e200ef2461cbdd63.pngimage.png.2816a3b6bdf2809e00805d8756c70b84.png

IMG_0877.mov 22.64 MB · 5 downloads

Decent👍🏻

I had this coin as a saved search on vcoins for years.  One finally popped up in my price range so I ordered it around Christmas. 
David Hendin considers these to be part of the Judaea Capta series. E226B9F3-62B3-4E02-89DA-2F932ABFCF08.jpeg.fec891e87aab452c36453bd15508f84a.jpeg

67F98733-3803-40C4-89DE-64FD581097C4.jpeg.4a769902cb26cd974f084a2c3597e346.jpeg

ROMAN PROVINCIAL

Judaea

Domitian 81-96, AE 14mm 3.1g      Caesarea Maritima Mint 83?

IMP DOMITIANVS, laureate head of Domitian left/ CAES AVG GERMANICVS, winged caduceus

Hendin 1457

Edited by Johnnie B
Formating
  • Like 16

Nice coin @Johnnie B! I just received my own Caesarea Maritima coin from Naville. Love FedEx, the coin was picked up at 4 pm in London and 8 am next day it was already on their delivery truck!

20230218_073843.jpg.56666f26d81d5bd90c796cb3d18d74e7.jpg

20230218_073712.jpg.f846c747694a36acb0c6c5a66eded8be.jpg

Auction house description:

Samaria, Caesarea Maritima Marcus Aurelius, 161-180 Bronze circa 161-180, Æ 19.80 mm., 4.96 g.
Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust r. Rev. nude Apollo standing, facing, head, l., holding laurel-branch and bow(?), resting on tripod entwined by serpent. RPC Temp. 6320.

Extremely rare, only two specimens listed in RPC and the only one in private hands, light brown tone and Good Very Fine.

From a private British collection. Apparently the only specimen in private hands.

While there are several additional specimens known, including at least two more in private hands it is still the best of them, in my opinion. 

• Like 16

image.png.aa1f5bad977d853082a57f04383cac95.png

Bronze of the Roman Imperial Period 177/192 AD; Material: AE; Diameter: 17mm; Weight: 4.80g; Mint: Perge, Pamphylia; Reference: SNG France 3, 419; Rare: Specimens 3 (2 in the core collections); Provenance: Biga Numismatics Drunen, Netherlands (Auction 16, Lot 163); Obverse: Draped armoured bust of Commodus with laurel wreath in dorsal view to the right; Inscription: AVTO KAI KOMMO; Translate: Autokrator Kaisaros Kommodos (Imperator Caesar Commodus); Reverse: Artemis stands in front view, head to the left. She holds a bow in her right hand and lifts her robe with her left hand; Inscription: ПEPΓA IΩN; Translate: Pergaion (City of Perge)

Comment: Perge is an ancient city 14 kilometres inland from the south coast of Turkey and 16 kilometres northeast of Antalya (ancient Attaleia) in Aksu. Along with Side, it was the most important city in Pamphylia. The ruins still standing today give a good impression of a city complex of the late Hellenistic-Roman period. Coming from the coast or from Antalya, the ancient theatre of Perge is located to the west (left). It had a capacity of 14,000 spectators, making it one of the largest of its kind. Between the theatre and the city is a large, well-preserved stadium with 15,000 seats and 50 vaults supporting the still well-preserved rows of seats. Some of them served as shops, every third one as an entrance. Towards the city, there are palace ruins from the imperial period and the large Palaestra, which is part of a large gymnasium. At the west gate are the thermal baths - an aqueduct can also be seen - and behind them the necropolis.

The strategically located table mountain in the north has been called the Acropolis since the work of Karl Graf Lanckoronski (1890), because the main street of the city runs right up to it. On the south-eastern edge of the Acropolis was the extensive sanctuary of "Artemis Pergaia", whose cult - as in Ephesus - shaped the arts and the economy. Not least, this is evident on many an ancient coin (such as the one presented here). In Greek mythology, Artemis is the goddess of hunting, virginity, the forest, birth and the moon, as well as the guardian of women and children. She is one of the twelve great Olympian gods. She is the daughter of Zeus and Leto and the twin sister of Apollo. She corresponds to Diana in Roman mythology.

This is no sensation and nothing earth-shattering. But I am still as happy as a little child who has discovered a toy. It's often the little things that make this hobby fun. I won this inconspicuous provincial bronze of Commodus, with Artemis on the back, from Perge yesterday at an auction for 26 euros. However, it was difficult to identify the coin, because I couldn't find it anywhere. After some searching, I then found two specimens.

One in the Baden Württemberg Museum:
https://bawue.museum-digital.de/object/64046?navlang=de

And another collector (thanks Altamura) at SNG:
https://catalogue.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/cb41781168m

But apart from that I did not find another specimen. Not on the internet and not in the auctions of the last 20 years or so. This type is also not registered in the RPC. 

I contacted RPC and asked for this coin type to be included in the catalogue and provided all the data. And now in these minutes I have just received the feedback that the type has just been included in RPC. Number #2 (Yothr Collection) is mine.

It's childish and stupid 😂 - but I'm happy anyway - it's the first coin I was allowed to publish in the RPC ... and here is the new entry:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/17562

• Like 13
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

4 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I contacted RPC and asked for this coin type to be included in the catalogue and provided all the data. And now in these minutes I have just received the feedback that the type has just been included in RPC. Number #2 (Yothr Collection) is mine.

It's childish and stupid 😂 - but I'm happy anyway - it's the first coin I was allowed to publish in the RPC ... and here is the new entry:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/17562

Congrats to the coin ... 

But wait: You contacted RPC and got a reply? 🤔 Congrats on that as well ...  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, septim said:

But wait: You contacted RPC and got a reply? 🤔 Congrats on that as well ...  

If you have the email address of one of the authors - yes. And I thought it was super great that he created the record with my coin today on Sunday. Thanks and greetings to the RPC team.

🙂 

But it's probably only a temporary thing anyway - as soon as the print version comes, I think it's gone anyway.
But still - I'm as happy as a little kid 🤡

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

My last 2 ancients... and the only coins I have purchased in 2023 so far... I have not found a new one to unseat these yet as "my latest."

1_250_to_190_BCE_Pisidia_AR_Obol_01.png.fba63e84cbdb08fee39c6e15dec90e7e.png1_250_to_190_BCE_Pisidia_AR_Obol_02.png.6d6dd49ca379bfbd494efc0cd972c88b.png
Pisidia; Selge; c. 250 - 190 BCE; AR Obol; 0.89 grams; Obv: Facing gorgeoneion; Rev: Helmented head of Athena right,
astragalos to left; SNG Ashmolean 1546 - 50, SNG BN 1948-54

641_to_668_ConstansII_AE_Follis_01.png.d5845dd97c4d1347fa21d53b619b6452.png641_to_668_ConstansII_AE_Follis_02.png.16d42937e0a59f7b7a99e74883d3c2bf.png
Constans II (641-668), AE Follis / 40 Nummi, Syracuse, 652-3, AE 23-27mm. 6g. Constans standing facing, wearing crown and chlamys, holding globus cruciger in right hand; I/H/Δ to l., I/A to right / Large M; cross above; SCL. MIB 208; DOC 179; S. 1108.

• Like 17

I have not posted this lovely coin yet, it's my first addition of 2023. A sestertius of Commodus, with a very interesting reverse, appealing to the loyalty of the infantry (army: Militum; infantry :Exercitum; cavalry Equitum). His relationship with the military was troublesome, to say the least. Not only did he pay his way out of the wars in which his father was involved, a severe lack of interest in the various military troubles that plagued the empire did not help either. It also gave the opportunity to ambitious men like Pescennius Niger to make a name for themselves. 

RIC allocates no's 468 a - d to the reverse. The difference is the number of soldiers displayed on the reverse; three, four, five or six. Next to the interesting reverse, the portrait is lovely too and the coins shows great green patina. 

23.4.png.5c28ccafa59d7f3b9eb79191476c5d3e.png

• Like 16
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

I have to present my Nerva again, of which I was able to make a video today. Coins of the Nerva are not always easy to find in this condition. I sit here and have to admit that I am thrilled - especially by the clarity of the reverse.

Imperator Nerva Caesar Augustus
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 97 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 3.42g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II Nerva 24; Provenance: Ex Classical Numismatics CNG USA; Obverse: Head of Nerva, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR POT for Imperator Nerva Caesar Augustus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate (Imperator Nerva, Caesar, Augustus, high priest, holder of tribunician power); Reverse: Priestly emblems: simpulum, aspergillum, guttus, and lituus. The Inscription reads: COS III PATER PATRIAE for Consul Tertius, Pater Patriae (Consul for the third time, father of the nation).

• Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 1

I get yesterday at the heritage auction this wonderful (I think) Commodus Libertas Denarius.

image.png.b3a44477f597dde1bd664278a0a192ea.png

Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 190 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 3.51g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC III Commodus 208; Rare: R1; Provenance: Heritage Numismatics Dallas, USA (Auction 232308 February 2023, Lot 64114); Obverse: Head of Commodus, laureate, right; Inscription: M COMM ANT P FEL AVG BRIT P P; Translate: Marcus Commodus Antoninus Pius Felix Augustus Britannicus Pater Patriae (Marcus Commodus Antoninus, the pious, the fortunate, Augustus, conqueror of the Britons, father of the nation); Reverse: Libertas, draped, standing front, head left, holding pileus in right hand and rod in left hand; Inscription: LIB AVG P M TR P XV COS VI; Translate: Liberalitas Augustorum, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate Quinta Decima, Consul Sextum (The liberality of the Augustus, high priest, holder of tribunician power for the 15th time, consul for the sixth time).

Comment: Financial management under Commodus was particularly bad. Partly as a result of the senseless expenditure on competitions and games of all kinds, partly as a result of the lavish gifts to the people, there was a great shortage of money (Dio LXXII 16, 1-3. Comm. 16, 8-9). Commodus had numerous coins minted and issued with Liberalitas Augusti; LIB I in 175 AD, LIB II in 177/178 AD, LIB III in 180 AD, LIB IIII in 181 AD, LIB V in 182 AD, LIB VI in 185/186 AD, LIB VII in 190 AD, LIB VIII and LIB IX then for the last time in 192 AD. This lack of money was remedied by confiscations and the sale of offices, as well as by robbery and threats.

This Libertas / Liberalitas issue of Commodus is again related to the emperor's "lucky" survival of a precarious situation - in this case the fall of Cleander. Cleander, a Phrygian, was born into slavery and probably freed already under Marcus Aurelius. He played an important role from the beginning of Commodus' reign. Thus Cleander had already established a personal relationship with Commodus in his childhood days, having been entrusted with his supervision at times. As "a cubiculo" he was already an influential person during the dominance of the praetorian prefect Perennis. When discontented Roman soldiers from Britain confronted the emperor in AD 185 to demand the head of Perennis, he is said to have advised Commodus to drop the prefect. With the fall of the Perennis, Cleander became the most important person in the emperor's circle. Under Cleander's influence, Commodus had moved closer to the Senate again and restricted the emperor's beneficia to the people. However, Cleander is said to have been greedy and therefore sold both offices and senatorial dignities. He was generally hated by both the nobility and the people. As a result of a famine and a resulting hunger revolt, he was abandoned to the angry mob by Commodus (end of AD 189).

• Like 14

Here is my latest, which I was kind of surprised to win at opening bid. It's a nice upgrade from my current Marcus Aurelius denarius - in particular I find the portrait style appealing as it seems to be slightly less cartoonish, and with more individualism, than usual. Also, I think the Victory reverse is a little more interesting than the ubiquitous standing/seated goddess type:

marcus_aurelius_victory.jpg.73585dcf5326e0eaa6c4538fc15e3641.jpg

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

This turned up yesterday to replace an earlier poor decision.

Otho. AD 69. AR Denarius (18.5mm, 3.02 g, 6h). Rome mint. Struck 15 January-9 March AD 69.
OBV: IMP OTHO CAESAR AVG TR P, draped bust right
REV: SECVRI TAS P R, Securitas standing left, holding wreath in right hand and scepter in left
3.06g. 18mm. 

image.png.921679d9d8f8eafa20c87981a95c355b.pngimage.png.2aca1641bc4c6b30ef62a1ae34570b4e.png

• Like 18
  • Heart Eyes 1

First post here and first coin I purchased a little while ago:

coin_stater.jpeg.0ac384c0249c76bca8cea0f000b74ac8.jpeg

Greek 1/12 Stater Ionia, Miletos. AR 1/12th Stater (9 mm, 1.07 gram) 6th-5th century BC

Forepart of roaring lion right, head turned left
Star in incuse square
SNG Kayhan 476-482; Klein 424; very fine, minor porosity

Purchased from MA-Shops.

For my first coin I wanted to go as old as possible!

• Like 18

Welcome @AusCollecting!

For my latest purchases, We have a father and son relationship. I won these two at the latest LAC auction.

Caracalla - 

Caracalla lived a troubled and fierce life; he was probably forever haunted by what he had done to his brother Geta (See a similar post featuring this coin on another thread). Many believe that it might have been because of this guilt that Caracalla chose to have such a cruel relationship.  There was only one place where Caracalla was truly loved - the army. Together with his father, they increased the Soldier's pay by masses - almost ruining the currency in the process. Here is a coin of his with Serapis on the reverse.

Screenshot2023-02-2507_43_06.png.8c9593ea3a66c5fcb507ebdc4157a0cf.png

Then we have Septimius Severus:

Screenshot2023-02-2507_59_07.png.8538874c0ef2832341bba2f84d5df238.png

Thank you for reading.

• Like 19

It is always difficult to get a good-looking Commodus. And when there finally is one, many bidders pounce on it. Today I was able to win another Commodus in good condition at Rauch. I am very happy, because this is generally RIC 36a - but in a version with a narrow abacus between the letters of the legend. An extremely rare version of RIC 36.

image.png.601459bd35533c9a8b447aef13788572.png

Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 166/177 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 18mm; Weight: 3.09g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC III Commodus 36a var. (narrow abacus between letters);Rare: R3; Provenance: H. D. Rauch Numismatik Wien, Austria (Auction 41, Lot 3287); Obverse: Head of Commodus, laureate, right; Inscription: M COMMODVS ANTONINVS AVG; Translate: Marcus Commodus Antoninus Augustus; Reverse: Liberalitas, draped, standing left, holding abacus in right hand and cornucopiae in left hand; Inscription: LIB AVG V TR P VII IMP IIII COS III P P; Translate: Liberalitas Augustorum Quinta, Tribunicia Potestate Septima, Imperator, Quartum, Consul Tertium, Pater Patriae (The fifth liberality of the Augustus, holder of tribunician power for the seventh time, Imperator for the fourth time, consul for the third time, father of the nation)

Comment: Financial management under Commodus was particularly bad. Partly as a result of the senseless expenditure on competitions and games of all kinds, partly as a result of the lavish gifts to the people, there was a great shortage of money (Dio LXXII 16, 1-3. Comm. 16, 8-9). Commodus had numerous coins minted and issued with Liberalitas Augusti; LIB I in 175 AD, LIB II in 177/178 AD, LIB III in 180 AD, LIB IIII in 181 AD, LIB V in 182 AD, LIB VI in 185/186 AD, LIB VII in 190 AD, LIB VIII and LIB IX then for the last time in 192 AD. This lack of money was remedied by confiscations and the sale of offices, as well as by robbery and threats. The background of the Liberalitas V denarius type presented here was the conspiracy in 181 AD against Commodus. Whether Lucilla was actually co-responsible for the assassination of her brother, or to what extent, is historically not perfectly certain. Apparently Commodus' sister joined forces with her cousin M. Claudius Ummidius Quadratus to assassinate the emperor. The young Tib. Claudius Pompeianus Quintianus was entrusted with the execution. He confronted the emperor at the entrance to the theatre with his sword drawn and shouted: "this is sent to you by the Senate". But he did not carry out the fatal stroke himself; he was bound and executed. Soon Quadratus was also killed, and, it seems, a Norbana, a Norbanus, a Paralius and his mother as accomplices. Lucilla herself was first banished to the island of Capri and then later executed. To celebrate the failed assassination, coins of the LIB AVG V were issued afterwards.This specimen is an extremely rare variant with narrow abacus between legend letters.

• Like 19