Post your latest ancient!

CPK

• Benefactor

Here's a rough Arab-Byzantine fals, which I am still researching.  This coin is the "standing emperor" type, but instead of the usual globus cruciger held by the emperor's left hand, there is instead a bird, presumably a hawk.  The bird is a little hard to see, but its outlines are apparent.

The reverse has a small crescent below the M.

Arab-Byzantine, AE fals, Imitating Constans II, late 7th century AD.

3.40 grams

D-CameraArab-ByzantineFalsImitatingConstansIIlate7thcenstandingemperorholdingbird3.40g2-15-24.jpg.fd9df82872c3d44454ab1a6f0e7def69.jpg

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 1

I won this yesterday making it my new latest coin! I'm very pleased to pick up an example of one of the rarer reverse types for Gallienus from Antioch. In my ACsearching I only found only one of the type properly listed in the past but with a left facing bust. The day of the auction this coin was at a 37 euro pre-bid so I steeled myself for a fight at the live session. When it came up I bid once to 38 and thankfully that was all it took. 😃

gallienusiovipropvg.jpg.9918599a93a0f6830840c8c96c30a579.jpg

• Like 19

In the last period I bought many Probus, Aurelian and Gallienus coins, I would say that these are my favorite coinages from that period.  I will try to present them in the next weeks as I identify and photograph them, I will group them in several sets.

Probus AE Antoninianus. Ticinum mint, 277 AD. RIC 388    
VIRTVS PROBI AVG, radiate, helmeted, and cuirassed bust left holding spear and shield / 
IOVI CONSERVAT, emperor standing right holding eagle-tipped sceptre, receiving globe from Jupiter standing left, VXXT below. 

image.jpeg.5760e7ac06880fe29e4a90db51e543c8.jpeg

Probus AE Antoninianus. Rome. RIC 184,E
IMP C PROBVS AVG, radiate, mantled bust left holding eagle-tipped sceptre / 
ROMAE AETER, hexastyle temple with Roma seated within, holding Victory and sceptre. Mintmark R thunderbolt epsilon. RIC V-2 Rome 184 var (unlisted officina).
21 mm / 4.5 g

image.jpeg.ab8f4901c3d7a4798d573f9c5fed8019.jpeg

Probus. Antoninianus. Ticinum. RIC 489    
IMP C PROBVS PF AVG, radiate bust left wearing imperial mantle and holding eagle-tipped sceptre / 
PROVIDENT AVG, Providentia standing left, holding globe and sceptre. Left field: Q. Mintmark SXXI.

image.jpeg.d5b082150ed844e8090b58fef7ca376c.jpeg

Probus Silvered AE Antoninianus. Rome mint.RIC 200     
IMP PROBVS PF AVG, radiate mantled bust left holding eagle-tipped sceptre / 
SOLI INVICTO, Sol, radiate, in chariot riding left, raising right hand and holding globe and whip in left hand. Mintmark R(wreath)Γ.

image.jpeg.51f025a80e6c6c2036ee2c6e6ae12eb1.jpeg

Probus AE Antoninianus. Siscia mint, 277-282 AD. RIC 818, S    
IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, radiate, mantled bust left, holding eagle-tipped sceptre / 
VIRTVS PROBI AVG, Probus on horseback galloping left riding down enemy. Mintmark XXIS. Cohen 931.

image.jpeg.eb2a39735698f75677c16b2889168574.jpeg

Probus. AE Antoninianus. Cyzicus. RIC 913 var    
IMP CM AVR PROBVS PF AVG, radiate, helmeted and cuirassed bust left, holding spear over shoulder and shield, decorated with emperor spearing fallen enemy, on left arm /
VIRTVS PROBI AVG, Emperor riding left, holding sceptre, right hand raised, captive before. Mintmark CXXIM. 
24 mm / 3.7 g

image.jpeg.6276657fbc64b11ba8dfca7d974fbc9f.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

• Benefactor

Here's another Alexandrian Roman provincial BI tetradrachm, part of my piecemeal effort collecting this extensive series.  This somewhat rough coin came from the UAE, which many of you probably know just based on the country of origin.  He has some pretty decent buys from time to time.

Nero with Tiberius, 54-68 AD, BI tetradrachm, Alexandria, Year 13 = 66/7.

RPC I 5295

12.98 grams

D-CameraNerowithTiberius54-68ADBItetAlexandriaYear1366-7RPCI529512.98g2-20-24.jpg.be61dd0d996e6ee53ff1bb223d7b3906.jpg

This is the second coin of this type that I own.  I purchased it mainly because of the different style portrait of Nero.  Here's the other coin:

12.54 grams

D-CameraNeroTiberiusBItetAlexandriaDatedRY13AD66-67Kln187-912.54gSal4-11-22.jpg.51fd5e73a932479d5eff9a010efad421.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 19
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor
25 minutes ago, Victrix said:

The duality of a crisis coin. Crisp obverse die and a completely battered reverse. Hard to pass Gordian III and Trajan decius coins when they're so cheap in high grade 🙃.

Nice coin!  The reverse looks as if it was struck with a worn die.

Edited by robinjojo
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, robinjojo said:

Nice coin!  The revers looks as if it was struck with a worn die.

Indeed this seems to be the case with most emperors after Gordian III. Also a quite ironic reverse since he's the first emperor to die in Battle 😛.

• Like 2

Was able to check two emperors off the list today with the arrival of this Byzantine follis. Constantine IV and his younger brother, Tiberius, now grace the halls of my Byzantine emperors.

ConstansIIFollis.641-668Syracuse.png.3a4c3600394fe4083c62ddc03be48938.png

Constans II
641-668 AD
AE Follis, 21mm, 4.43g
Syracuse
Obverse: No legend, Constans with long beard, on left, left hand on hip, crowned and in military dress, holding long cross, and Constantine IV, unbearded and crowned, on right, holding holding cross on globe
Reverse: Large M, with Heraclius, crowned, wearing chlamys, standing on the left, holding cross on globe, and Tiberius, crowned, wearing chlamys, standing on the right, holding cross on globe. TKw monogram above
Mintmark SCL

• Like 15
  • Cool Think 1

I got myself an Antoninianus of good silver with a sharp portrait of Valerian and a decent depiction of Jupiter:

FCEDF437-04E4-49FC-87DC-BB9CC8A91C11.jpeg.3aaa1f20c87a00b22e7cc4db913e9c72.jpeg

Roman Empire, Valerian 253-260, Base Silver Antoninianus 2.81g, 20mm Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Valerian right. "IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS AVG" Jupiter standing, head left, holding a thunderbolt and scepter. "IOVI CONSERVATORI" RSC 94

• Like 15

This isn't my absolute latest but it's part of my backlog I've been meaning to share for a bit. An interesting aes rude with crescent and cross stamps. The meaning of these stamps is not really clear but there are some documented finds around Etruria and later aes grave with similar symbols.

20240220172311-31d89e7b-me.jpg.0efbc90840428438c4f2db8414f5b489.jpg

Italy, Æ Aes Rude(19.64g), before 4th century B.C.. Irregular cast lump with u(crescent?) and +(star of 4 rays?), mark of value. Cf Vecchi ICC 2.2

• Like 11
  • Clap 1

Purchased from Harlan Berk Chicago

Trajan; 98-117 AD, Rome, c. 114 AD, Dupondius, 10.05g. Woytek-459b (4 spec.). Obv: COS VI legend; Bust radiate r., with fold of cloak on front shoulder and behind neck. Rx: SPQR OPTIMO [PRINC]IPI around, S - C across field, Mars advancing r. holding spear and trophy over shoulder. Ex Curtis L. Clay Collection

unnamed.jpg

• Like 16

• Benefactor

Here are four coins purchased at the recent coin show in San Jose.  The group consists of three Sasanian drachms of Kurshow II (very common), and a  nice follis of Tiberius II Constantine.  The follis came from Kenneth W. Dorney.  I am still doing some research on the Kurshow II drachms (mint, date, etc.).

The Tiberius II Constantine follis is RY 6 (580/1 AD), Constantinople, officina A.  The coin weighs 14.73 grams.

D-CameraFourancientcoinsfromSanJoseShow20242-21-24.jpg.79cd498155cff75ec6ae386e333d2aec.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 15

I bid in the recent NBS auction for a coin I've been looking to add to my collection. Unfortunately, I didn't win it...but I did win some awesome consolation prizes 🙂 I am surprised at how quickly they arrived - 10 days from auction to my mailbox, especially considering I am still waiting on a coin from Prague that I won off ebay a month ago. 

Here are the first 2, both barbarous imitatives:
slazzer-edit-image(31).png.6af87632b8db14b0293d0c8eaa02b671.png

Barbarous Imitative
AE3, 18mm, 3.2g
Siscia Imitative Type
Obverse: VVPOVP-VPOVVVOVHPV, High-crested helmet, three vertical pellets in crossbar, crescents on helmet fields, cuirassed bust right
Reverse: POVDP-VOV-OPVBHP, Two Victories standing, facing each other and holding a shield inscribed IVB / OO / OIO on altar with X and pellets in the diagonals pattern
OAP(?)AO (?) in exergue
ex: NBS Web Auction 22, Lot 270
Comment: This one seems to be a match from beastcoins
Imitative-Siscia-diagonaldots.jpg

Here is the 2nd. The engraver certainly tried their best to make the legend but they were clearly not literate...

slazzer-edit-image(35).png.38c0333c816fb1ea946544a365110cec.png

Barbarous Imitative
AE3, 17mm, 2.8g
Siscia Imitative Type
Obverse: IMCOSMNTN(___)TAVC, Crested helmet, cuirassed bust right
Reverse: (__)TNMDOM, Two Victories standing, facing each other and holding a shield inscribed IOT/ III on altar with X and pellets in the diagonals pattern
dot SIS dot
Note: All S's are retrograde
ex: NBS Web Auction 22, Lot 269

Thanks @catadc for trying to help me get the coin I was after. Maybe next time! And I hope to see your wins soon! 🙂

Edited by Furryfrog02
shoutout
  • Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

To be honest, I didn't know which emperor I bought, I only suspected that it's from the period of Decius. It took me a while to identify it :) now I am happy to introduce you my latest provincial coin 

Province: Galatia-Pontus , Region: Pontus , City: Neocaesarea 
Trebonianus Gallus (Augustus) , AD 251/2 , RPC IX, 1239
ΑΥΤ ΚΑΙ ΓΑΛΛΟϹ ϹΕΒΑ (Imperator Caesar Gallus Augustus) laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gallus, right, seen from rear
ΚΟΙ ΠΟΝΤ ΜΗΤ ΝΕΟΚΑΙϹΑΡΕΙΑϹ, ΕΤ/Ο, ΡΠ/Η (Year ΡΠΗ = 188)Tyche standing facing, head right, holding long rudder and cornucopia

30 mm/ 15 g

image.jpeg.17aff6356219e7cb3e37655d37300586.jpeg

Edited by singig
  • Like 14

Here are the other 3 wins from the NBS Auction. I was super excited to win both a enthroned follis and half-follis of Justinian I from Antioch for a VERY reasonable price. I bid on the other coin just because I liked the funny looking face. 😛

JustinianIAEFollisAntioch529-533ADStarACrescentTHEVP.png.8d9cc40d858a8e522e003bba544eb869.png

Justinian I
Follis
Antioch
529-533 AD
Obverse: DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, Justinian seated facing on throne, holding sceptre and cross on globe
Reverse: Large M, star left, cross above, crescent right, officina letter A below, mintmark +THEVP

JustinianIAEHalf-Follis.AntiochOfficinaGamma.png.a8d776a1c81e03171742b5f924c1cfe3.png

Justinian I
Half-Follis
Antioch
529-533 AD
Obverse: DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, Justinian seated facing, holding cross on globe and long sceptre
Reverse: Large K, long cross to left with T/H/E/U/O/P in the four angles, officina letter Γ below

ZengidsofMosulBadralDinLuluAE25Dirhem.png.27812bec1eaa7bff2248a19aac8d6a6f.png

Zengids of Mosul
Badr al Din Lu'lu
1234-1259 AD
AE25, Dirhem
Mosul
Obverse: Diademed head in profile facing left, hair in ringlets,eight-pointed star in bottom left corner, in beaded square. Margin at 3:00: duriba bi’l-maw, at 12:00 sil sana, at 9:00: ahad wa thalathin, at 6:00: wa sittmi’a “struck in al-Mawsil the year one and thirty and six hundred”
Reverse: 4-line legend in center: in Naskh script al-imam / al-mustansir / billah amir /al-mu’minin “the Imam, al-Mustansir billah, Commander of the Faithful" Margin: badr al-dunya wa’l-din lu‘lu‘ al-malik al-kamil al-malik al-ashraf “Resplendent Moon of the World and the Faith, Lu‘lu‘, the Perfect King, the Honoured King”

• Like 11

Been looking for an example I could afford, but they don't seem to come up to often..until today.

6BfFXZ5p2a6Py3ZrkFn4G8medR9HCt.jpg.3695ff9527d8766ee603e98c9240064a.jpg

Dealer photo and description..

VESPASIAN AR silver denarius. Judaea (Judea) Capta. IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, laureate head right. Reverse - Captive Jewess seated right, hands tied before, trophy of captured arms behind, IVDAEA in exergue. 17mm, 3.0g. RCV 2296.

One of the more highly sought after Roman Imperial denarii, due to its historical significance, celebrating the 'Judea Capta' in 69 AD. This issue is often struck on quite small flans

• Like 11

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Furryfrog02 said:

Here are the other 3 wins from the NBS Auction. I was super excited to win both a enthroned follis and half-follis of Justinian I from Antioch for a VERY reasonable price. I bid on the other coin just because I liked the funny looking face. 😛

JustinianIAEFollisAntioch529-533ADStarACrescentTHEVP.png.8d9cc40d858a8e522e003bba544eb869.png

Justinian I
Follis
Antioch
529-533 AD
Obverse: DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, Justinian seated facing on throne, holding sceptre and cross on globe
Reverse: Large M, star left, cross above, crescent right, officina letter A below, mintmark +THEVP

JustinianIAEHalf-Follis.AntiochOfficinaGamma.png.a8d776a1c81e03171742b5f924c1cfe3.png

Justinian I
Half-Follis
Antioch
529-533 AD
Obverse: DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, Justinian seated facing, holding cross on globe and long sceptre
Reverse: Large K, long cross to left with T/H/E/U/O/P in the four angles, officina letter Γ below

ZengidsofMosulBadralDinLuluAE25Dirhem.png.27812bec1eaa7bff2248a19aac8d6a6f.png

Zengids of Mosul
Badr al Din Lu'lu
1234-1259 AD
AE25, Dirhem
Mosul
Obverse: Diademed head in profile facing left, hair in ringlets,eight-pointed star in bottom left corner, in beaded square. Margin at 3:00: duriba bi’l-maw, at 12:00 sil sana, at 9:00: ahad wa thalathin, at 6:00: wa sittmi’a “struck in al-Mawsil the year one and thirty and six hundred”
Reverse: 4-line legend in center: in Naskh script al-imam / al-mustansir / billah amir /al-mu’minin “the Imam, al-Mustansir billah, Commander of the Faithful" Margin: badr al-dunya wa’l-din lu‘lu‘ al-malik al-kamil al-malik al-ashraf “Resplendent Moon of the World and the Faith, Lu‘lu‘, the Perfect King, the Honoured King”

Very nice purchases!  The seated folles of Justinian I are scarce compared to his portrait types.

Here's a dirhem of Badr al Din Lu'lu that came out of Roma E-Sale 116, lot 1603.  This was a former coin sold by Steve Album back in 2013, Auction 17.  I'm using the Roma photo - I'll take my own soon, I hope.

For a few years now I've focused on the Islamic portraiture coinage.  I find the combination of Islamic and western influences, as well as the symbolisms, fascinating. 

Lu'lu'ids, Badr al-Din Lu'lu Æ Dirham. al-Mawsil mint, AH 631 = AD 1233/4. Diademed head to left; star below chin, all within square border; mint and date in margins / Legend citing the Abbasid Caliph al-Mustansir, Lu'lu, and the Ayyubid overlords al-Kamil and al-Ashraf in four lines and around. Album 1874.1; S&S Type 68. 8.14g, 24mm, 3h.

Catalogue Image

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 10

Just now, robinjojo said:

Very nice purchases!  The seated folles of Justinian I are scarce compared to his portrait types.

Here's a dirhem of Badr al Din Lu'lu that came out of Roma E-Sale 116, lot 1603.  This was a former coin sold by Steve Album back in 2013, Auction 17.  I'm using their photo - I'll take my own soon, I hope.

For a few years now I've focused on the Islamic portraiture coinage.  I find the combination of Islamic and western influences, as well as the symbolisms, fascinating. 

Lu'lu'ids, Badr al-Din Lu'lu Æ Dirham. al-Mawsil mint, AH 631 = AD 1233/4. Diademed head to left; star below chin, all within square border; mint and date in margins / Legend citing the Abbasid Caliph al-Mustansir, Lu'lu, and the Ayyubid overlords al-Kamil and al-Ashraf in four lines and around. Album 1874.1; S&S Type 68. 8.14g, 24mm, 3h.

Catalogue Image

That is a great example!
I am well aware of how scarce the seated Justinian I coins are compared to the others. I have a couple of the portrait coins which led me to wanting a seated coin. I've been looking for quite some time. Would you believe that the follis and half-follis were a whopping 21 Euros total? I couldn't believe my luck!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Furryfrog02 said:

I absolutely LOVE it. I wish I could find one like yours. 

Thank you, this is an unexpectedly good pic.

10 hours ago, Phil Anthos said:

I just wish I could find a description.

~ Peter 

It's a Stobi for Caracalla sole reign. I have a book by a Bulgarian numismatist about Stobi, if anyone wants it let me know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/18/2024 at 12:19 PM, shanxi said:

Two new Faustina II denarii, both with Concordia seated, both with all around legend, but long and short legend.

Faustina_II_R866_fac.jpg.deb4ae3d4665a19bea03c541e49c55e1.jpg

Faustina II

AR-Denar, Rome
Obv.: FAVSTINA AVG PII AVG FIL, draped bust right (unbroken legend)
Rev.: CONCORDIA, Concordia seated left holding flower, resting elbow on cornucopia, which is by her chair; under chair globe.
Ag, 17mm, 3.60g
Ref.: RIC III 502a3var., CRE 167 var.

Faustina_II_R867_fac.jpg.b80d5c0208c64013839c214cb51e53cd.jpg

Faustina II

AR-Denar, Rome
Obv.: : FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG PII FIL, draped bust right
Rev.: CONCORDIA, Concordia seated left holding flower, resting elbow on cornucopia, which is by her chair; under chair globe.
Ag, 16,5 x 19,5 mm, 3.4g
Ref.: RIC III 502a6 (long legend variation) var., CRE 169 var

Coingratulations!! While the ANTONINI legend is not hard to find with Concordia standing, it's quite scarce on the Concordia seated issue. I looked for a few years before I was able to acquire one for my collection.

FaustinaJrCONCORDIAseateddenariusANTONINIinscription.jpg.eba047b31092e410319c097a6e048b23.jpg

• Like 16