Post your latest ancient!

CPK

• Benefactor

After not making any new coin purchases for a month (I was resolved to attempt to save my money for NYINC), I succumbed to temptation on January 2 and ordered three coins from London Ancient Coins; they arrived via DHL Express this afternoon.  All had been on my VCoins watch list for a while, and each cost between 90 and 150 GBP (considerably less than I had been spending per coin for a number of months, especially at auctions), so I persuaded myself that they were mere "snacks" and, as such, didn't really constitute a failure of resolve!

I just finished writing them up (the third one -- believe it or not, my first ancient coin ever from the Londinium Mint -- took a while), so here they are:

1. Antoninus Pius, AR Denarius, AD 140-143 (Sear: AD 142), Rome Mint. Obv. Bare head right, ANTONINVS AVG PI-VS P P TR P COS III / Rev. Apollo in long robe standing facing, head left, holding patera in extended right hand and lyre in left hand, APOLLINI AVGVSTO. RIC III Antoninus Pius 63B, RSC II Antoninus Pius 59, Sear RCV II 4050, BMCRE IV Antoninus Pius 186. 17 mm., 3.50 g., 6 h. Purchased from London Ancient Coins, 2 Jan. 2023.

image.jpeg.e0bc41e1db7d18bd0d6e5c6ebade300b.jpeg

2. Elagabalus, AR Denarius, AD 219-220, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate & draped bust right, no beard, IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG / Rev. Liberalitas standing facing, head left, holding abacus in outstretched right hand and cornucopiae in left, LIBERALITAS AVG II. 19 mm., 3.15 g., 12 h. RIC IV-2 Elagabalus 100, RSC III Elagabalus 81a. Purchased from London Ancient Coins, 2 Jan. 2023.*

image.jpeg.dad678dfe505e90337f130aac98046dc.jpeg

*My first coin depicting Liberalitas, although I'd been looking for one for a while.

3. Constantine I, AE Follis or Nummus, 1/72 to the pound, mid-310 to late 311 AD, Londinium Mint. Obv. Laurate and cuirassed bust right, IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG / Rev. Radiate Sol standing facing, head left, with weight on right foot, left shoulder draped in chlamys, right hand raised, and banded globe (representing cosmos) held in left hand, SOLI INVIC-TO COMITI around, T - F across fields, PLN [mint mark for Londinium Mint]* in exergue. 24 mm., 4.90 g., 6 h. RIC VI Londinium 121a (Group III, p. 133), Sear RCV IV 16046 (p. 462) (dating the type to AD 310). Purchased from London Ancient Coins, 2 Jan. 2023, ex Chitry Hoard (discovered 2007), Coin no. 46.**

image.jpeg.e08651479f4a1e54fda780ecd212f792.jpeg

*I have seen the “P” in PLN variously interpreted as meaning “Prima” (which would presumably signify the first officina, although I do not believe that the Londinium mint ever issued any coins marked to indicate any other numbered officinae), “Pecunia” (for money), or “Percussa” (meaning “struck in” Londinium). I doubt that there is any definitive answer. As for the “T – F” across the fields, which is found on coins from other mints in addition to Londinium, Reid Goldsborough suggested that “[t]he T/F on either side of Sol likely means ‘TEMPORVM FELICITAS’ or ‘The happiness of the age.’" See http://rg.ancients.info/constantine/Sol_other.html.

**See Vincent Drost, “Le trésor constantinien de Chitry (Yonne) (terminus 323/324 après J.-C.),” Étude et Catalogue, in Michel Amandry, ed., Trésors monétaires XXV (Éditions de la Bibliothèque nationale de France, Monnaies, Médailles et Antiques, 2013) (available at https://books.openedition.org/editionsbnf/547). As summarized in the (translated) Abstract for the portion of the book (pp. 177-243) dealing with the Chitry Hoard (see https://books.openedition.org/editionsbnf/678?lang=en):  

“The Chitry Hoard (Yonne) [a department in the Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region in France] was discovered in 2007. It is made up of about 2,500 coins of the late Third and the early Fourth Century. Except for a single coin struck at the London mint in 323/4 which determines its terminal date, the Chitry Hoard belongs to a group of treasures coming up against the monetary reform of 318. This short-term accumulation has been carried out between 310 and 318. The nummi struck at 1/72 to the pound represents one quarter of the hoard whereas the ones struck at 1/96 to the pound supplies with the three quarters. The Chitry Hoard is the first treasure of that kind from Central Gaul to be thoroughly published. It provides essential data regarding the monetary circulation in this area during the 310's. It also brings previously unpublished types and contributes to a better understanding of some aspects of the Constantinian coinage struck in Gaul and Britain.”

The circumstances of the discovery, discussed at the beginning of the Preface to the Chitry Hoard section, are also of interest. Supposedly, on 7 Sep. 2007, an individual residing in a house built in 1792 found the coins, together with some 18th century tiles, in a niche he discovered behind a stone in a wall of the cellar beneath his house. This implied a prior 18th-century discovery and re-deposit of the hoard. Under French law, this enabled the sale of the hoard to CGB, which deposited it with the Bibliothèque nationale for study before it was sold. M. Drost states that these claimed circumstances are “unusual but not unthinkable,” expressing skepticism for various reasons.

In any event, according to the catalogue of the Chitry Hoard (see https://books.openedition.org/editionsbnf/1115), 470 of the 2,492 coins in the hoard were minted in Londinium. 197 of those 470 were Nummi at 1/72 to the pound. Out of those 197, there were 68 coins in the hoard (Nos. 38-103, including my specimen) of the RIC VI Londinium 121a type, with SOLI INVIC-TO COMITI and T/F//PLN on the reverse. The BNF has dated these coins to the period from mid-310 to late 311 AD, and I have adopted those dates in my description above, rather than Sear’s AD 310 date.

----

Finally, a PS regarding the dealer, applicable to all three coins. I have bought many coins from London Ancient Coins with no complaints regarding the coins themselves. However, their research seems to be getting a bit sloppy, which is not something I remember noticing before. The descriptions of all three coins contained attribution errors, namely incorrect references to major catalogs. First, LAC attributed the Antoninus Pius to RIC III 126 (instead of the correct RIC III 63B), apparently not realizing that no. 126 is for COS IIII rather than this coin's COS III. They also attributed the coin to RSC II 61, rather than the correct RSC II 59. Second, LAC attributed the Elagabalus to RSC III 80 instead of the correct RIC III 81a, based on a failure to properly read the codes for those types. Third, LAC attributed the Constantine I to RIC VI 124 rather than the correct RIC VI 121a, based on a failure to notice that no. 124 is for obverse legends reading "P AVG" at the end rather than this coin's "PF AVG."

All dealers and collectors make such mistakes, but this sort of carelessness, evident in the descriptions of three completely unrelated coins that could have been picked out of a hat, is slightly worrying. And certainly a reminder not to simply copy a dealer's catalog references without checking them whenever possible. 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 1

First classic owl, and first purchase of 2023, in the mail, has not arrived yet. Not much crest or neckless, hoping for good relief as the coin is 17.17G / 24MM.  454-404 BC Kroll 8; Dewing 1591-8; SNG Copenhagen 31; HGC 4, 1597.

owl.jpg.5b7ea574222ba60653497a217326683f.jpg

Edited by AETHER
  • Like 14

• Benefactor
11 hours ago, DonnaML said:

After not making any new coin purchases for a month (I was resolved to attempt to save my money for NYINC), I succumbed to temptation on January 2 and ordered three coins from London Ancient Coins; they arrived via DHL Express this afternoon.  All had been on my VCoins watch list for a while, and each cost between 90 and 150 GBP (considerably less than I had been spending per coin for a number of months, especially at auctions), so I persuaded myself that they were mere "snacks" and, as such, didn't really constitute a failure of resolve!

I just finished writing them up (the third one -- believe it or not, my first ancient coin ever from the Londinium Mint -- took a while), so here they are:

1. Antoninus Pius, AR Denarius, AD 140-143 (Sear: AD 142), Rome Mint. Obv. Bare head right, ANTONINVS AVG PI-VS P P TR P COS III / Rev. Apollo in long robe standing facing, head left, holding patera in extended right hand and lyre in left hand, APOLLINI AVGVSTO. RIC III Antoninus Pius 63B, RSC II Antoninus Pius 59, Sear RCV II 4050, BMCRE IV Antoninus Pius 186. 17 mm., 3.50 g., 6 h. Purchased from London Ancient Coins, 2 Jan. 2023.

image.jpeg.e0bc41e1db7d18bd0d6e5c6ebade300b.jpeg

2. Elagabalus, AR Denarius, AD 219-220, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate & draped bust right, no beard, IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG / Rev. Liberalitas standing facing, head left, holding abacus in outstretched right hand and cornucopiae in left, LIBERALITAS AVG II. 19 mm., 3.15 g., 12 h. RIC IV-2 Elagabalus 100, RSC III Elagabalus 81a. Purchased from London Ancient Coins, 2 Jan. 2023.*

image.jpeg.dad678dfe505e90337f130aac98046dc.jpeg

*My first coin depicting Liberalitas, although I'd been looking for one for a while.

3. Constantine I, AE Follis or Nummus, 1/72 to the pound, mid-310 to late 311 AD, Londinium Mint. Obv. Laurate and cuirassed bust right, IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG / Rev. Radiate Sol standing facing, head left, with weight on right foot, left shoulder draped in chlamys, right hand raised, and banded globe (representing cosmos) held in left hand, SOLI INVIC-TO COMITI around, T - F across fields, PLN [mint mark for Londinium Mint]* in exergue. 24 mm., 4.90 g., 6 h. RIC VI Londinium 121a (Group III, p. 133), Sear RCV IV 16046 (p. 462) (dating the type to AD 310). Purchased from London Ancient Coins, 2 Jan. 2023, ex Chitry Hoard (discovered 2007), Coin no. 46.**

image.jpeg.e08651479f4a1e54fda780ecd212f792.jpeg

*I have seen the “P” in PLN variously interpreted as meaning “Prima” (which would presumably signify the first officina, although I do not believe that the Londinium mint ever issued any coins marked to indicate any other numbered officinae), “Pecunia” (for money), or “Percussa” (meaning “struck in” Londinium). I doubt that there is any definitive answer. As for the “T – F” across the fields, which is found on coins from other mints in addition to Londinium, Reid Goldsborough suggested that “[t]he T/F on either side of Sol likely means ‘TEMPORVM FELICITAS’ or ‘The happiness of the age.’" See http://rg.ancients.info/constantine/Sol_other.html.

**See Vincent Drost, “Le trésor constantinien de Chitry (Yonne) (terminus 323/324 après J.-C.),” Étude et Catalogue, in Michel Amandry, ed., Trésors monétaires XXV (Éditions de la Bibliothèque nationale de France, Monnaies, Médailles et Antiques, 2013) (available at https://books.openedition.org/editionsbnf/547). As summarized in the (translated) Abstract for the portion of the book (pp. 177-243) dealing with the Chitry Hoard (see https://books.openedition.org/editionsbnf/678?lang=en):  

“The Chitry Hoard (Yonne) [a department in the Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region in France] was discovered in 2007. It is made up of about 2,500 coins of the late Third and the early Fourth Century. Except for a single coin struck at the London mint in 323/4 which determines its terminal date, the Chitry Hoard belongs to a group of treasures coming up against the monetary reform of 318. This short-term accumulation has been carried out between 310 and 318. The nummi struck at 1/72 to the pound represents one quarter of the hoard whereas the ones struck at 1/96 to the pound supplies with the three quarters. The Chitry Hoard is the first treasure of that kind from Central Gaul to be thoroughly published. It provides essential data regarding the monetary circulation in this area during the 310's. It also brings previously unpublished types and contributes to a better understanding of some aspects of the Constantinian coinage struck in Gaul and Britain.”

The circumstances of the discovery, discussed at the beginning of the Preface to the Chitry Hoard section, are also of interest. Supposedly, on 7 Sep. 2007, an individual residing in a house built in 1792 found the coins, together with some 18th century tiles, in a niche he discovered behind a stone in a wall of the cellar beneath his house. This implied a prior 18th-century discovery and re-deposit of the hoard. Under French law, this enabled the sale of the hoard to CGB, which deposited it with the Bibliothèque nationale for study before it was sold. M. Drost states that these claimed circumstances are “unusual but not unthinkable,” expressing skepticism for various reasons.

In any event, according to the catalogue of the Chitry Hoard (see https://books.openedition.org/editionsbnf/1115), 470 of the 2,492 coins in the hoard were minted in Londinium. 197 of those 470 were Nummi at 1/72 to the pound. Out of those 197, there were 68 coins in the hoard (Nos. 38-103, including my specimen) of the RIC VI Londinium 121a type, with SOLI INVIC-TO COMITI and T/F//PLN on the reverse. The BNF has dated these coins to the period from mid-310 to late 311 AD, and I have adopted those dates in my description above, rather than Sear’s AD 310 date.

----

Finally, a PS regarding the dealer, applicable to all three coins. I have bought many coins from London Ancient Coins with no complaints regarding the coins themselves. However, their research seems to be getting a bit sloppy, which is not something I remember noticing before. The descriptions of all three coins contained attribution errors, namely incorrect references to major catalogs. First, LAC attributed the Antoninus Pius to RIC III 126 (instead of the correct RIC III 63B), apparently not realizing that no. 126 is for COS IIII rather than this coin's COS III. They also attributed the coin to RSC II 61, rather than the correct RSC II 59. Second, LAC attributed the Elagabalus to RSC III 80 instead of the correct RIC III 81a, based on a failure to properly read the codes for those types. Third, LAC attributed the Constantine I to RIC VI 124 rather than the correct RIC VI 121a, based on a failure to notice that no. 124 is for obverse legends reading "P AVG" at the end rather than this coin's "PF AVG."

All dealers and collectors make such mistakes, but this sort of carelessness, evident in the descriptions of three completely unrelated coins that could have been picked out of a hat, is slightly worrying. And certainly a reminder not to simply copy a dealer's catalog references without checking them whenever possible. 

I forgot to include a couple of questions:

Has anyone else noticed this sort of misattribution issue with London Ancient Coins? An error of that kind with one coin wouldn't bother me, but all three?

More importantly, regarding the Constantine SOLI INVICTO COMITI nummus, could someone with experience collecting ancient Roman coins from the Londinium Mint (as I said, this is my first) please let me know if there is, in fact, any definitive answer to the question of what the "P" in PLN stands for? And whether Reid Goldsborough's suggestion that "T - F" means "TEMPORVM FELICITAS" has been generally accepted?

Thanks!

image.png.5c08e7144dee9413a0e33ccbd979af02.png

Titus Flavius Vespasianus, as Imperator Titus Caesar divi Vespasiani filius Vespasianus Augustus
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 80 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.23g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Titus 115; Obverse: Head of Titus, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M for Imperator Titus Caesar Vespasianus Augustus, Pontifex Maximus (Imperator Titus Caesar Vespasian, Augustus, high priest); Reverse: Elephant, cuirassed, left. The Inscription reads: TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P for Tribunicia Potestate Nona, Imperator Quintum Decimum, Consul Octavum, Pater Patriae (Holder of tribunician power for the ninth time, Imperator for the 15th time, consul for the eighth time, father of the nation).

@David Atherton writes: "A reverse type that records the opening games of the Flavian Amphitheater."

A new Titus Elefantitus was in the house...  😉

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 6

2 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

image.png.5c08e7144dee9413a0e33ccbd979af02.png

Titus Flavius Vespasianus, as Imperator Titus Caesar divi Vespasiani filius Vespasianus Augustus
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 80 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.23g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Titus 115; Obverse: Head of Titus, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M for Imperator Titus Caesar Vespasianus Augustus, Pontifex Maximus (Imperator Titus Caesar Vespasian, Augustus, high priest); Reverse: Elephant, cuirassed, left. The Inscription reads: TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P for Tribunicia Potestate Nona, Imperator Quintum Decimum, Consul Octavum, Pater Patriae (Holder of tribunician power for the ninth time, Imperator for the 15th time, consul for the eighth time, father of the nation).

@David Atherton writes: "A reverse type that records the opening games of the Flavian Amphitheater."

A new Titus Elefantitus was in the house...  😉

Superb specimen!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

Another Faustina II Denar. The toning is a little uneven but still better than a cleaned high gloss surface.

Faustina_II_R856_fac.jpg.7a8861f7d37ac51eaee48f466961ba31.jpg

Faustina Minor
AR-Denar, Rome
Obv.: DIVA AVG FAVSTINA, veiled bust right
Rev.: CONSCRATIO, Ustrinum of Faustina II
Ag, 3.33g, 17mm
Ref.: RIC 747, CRE 209 [R]

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 2

image.png.97eec92c3c6e059530141a6a662bc545.png

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 58/59 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17mm; Weight: 3.60g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC I (second edition) Nero 17; Obverse: Head of Nero, bare, right. The Inscription reads: NERO CAESAR AVG IMP for Nero Caesar Augustus Imperator; Reverse: Legend surrounding oak-wreath enclosing EX S C. The Inscription reads: PONTIF MAX TR P V P P for Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestas Quinta, Pater Patriae, Ex Senatus Consultum (High priest, tribunician power for the fifth time, father of the country. By decree of the senate).

I catch an Nero Denarius last night 🙂 

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 5

I won this in the recent CNG Triton XXVI auction and picked it up on Friday - got home and photographed it yesterday - I think it needs a dark background, but this will do for now.   It's a huge coin and looks great in-hand - very happy with it.   I need a 6-slot Abafil extra deep tray to fit it.

Auction description.

Anonymous. Circa 225-217 BC. Æ Aes Grave As (64mm, 249.2 g, 12h). Rome mint. Head of bearded Janus; – (mark of value) below; all on a raised disk / Prow of galley right; | (mark of value) above; all on a raised disk. Crawford 35/1; Sydenham 71; HN Italy 337; ICC 74; Haeberlin pl. 10, 1–16; BMCRR Rome (Aes Grave) 1–9; Kestner 112–3; RBW 83. Earthen green patina. Good VF.

From the S & S Collection.

P1171892.JPG.d262db558bb8fe0b6612224e3828ab52.JPGP1171893.JPG.7f9946c35d97b95c3bb0d3e5b92c51c6.JPG

ATB,
Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 7

image.jpeg.9c32dbb4a58db5adf8ec8e97f8748ecd.jpeg

Marcus Ulpius Traianus as Imperator Caesar Nerva Traianus Augustus
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 114 AD; Material: Silver; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II Trajan 318; Provenance: Ex Stacks & Bowers Numismatics USA; Obverse: Bust of Trajan, laureate, draped, right. The Inscription reads: IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC for Imperator, Caesar, Nervae Traiano Optimo, Augustus, Germanicus, Dacicus (Imperator, Caesar, Nerva Trajan, the best Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, conqueror of the Dacians); Reverse: Fortuna, draped, veiled, seated left on chair without back, holding rudder set on ground in right hand and cornucopiae in left. The Inscription reads: P M TR P COS VI P P S P Q R FORT RED for Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate, Consul Sextum, Pater Patriae, Senatus Populusque Romanus, Fortuna Redux (High priest, holder of tribunician power, consul for the sixth time, father of the nation, The senate and the Roman people, fortune that brings back).

After the two successful wars against the Dacians (101-102 AD and 105-106 AD) - Trajan decided to go to war against de Parthians. In 113 AD the preparations started. The emperor left for the east in the autumn of the year and reached Antioch in Syria at the beginning of 114 AD. For the now beginning war the few fragments from the Parthian history of Arrian as well as the summaries and explanations from the historical work of Cassius Dio are the only sources still available today. The individual events are therefore often uncertain; coins and inscriptions are used as a supplement to reconstruct the course of events. 

This coinage here was issued in 114 AD and refers to the hope of a victorious and happy homecoming from the Parthian campaign. The hopes were not to be fulfilled - in the Cilician Selinus on August 8, 117 AD death overtook him, probably not by poison, as he himself had suspected, but by dropsy.

I was able to secure this denarius of Trajan as loot at Stacks & Bowers today.

• Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 1

Just the 21 coins today.   For some reason, I bought four tetradrachms of Philip I/II & Trebonianus Gallus and a didrachm of Trajan and a pile of other stuff I don't normally collect.   There's a fairly worn RR denarius I wanted and a group lot of four worse ones which had one I needed.   I don't remember why I bought the rest - well, a Marius because I didn't have a Marius and the rest probably looked cool and/or were at a good price!

From Naville in December - they took forever to come.   A similar batch from Artemide is on its way too, ETA this week 🙂

RoE-HKoiXSItqJTawMxfQV3tHaJN4qV_zGIhQTymQVaA_mq9No8O36BjaAG-l4teLqGHCXNmgm_-cGKx1DeftteMEPLbsOywSZNDINnRKpIW3lLStxTmfXQGnoExevCs5dseH6ctH6JzYaUY12Z3fFOZiS4hIXylmC1amZxW6V8_VeUfYpXnSwcWsUBTHXcnH0GFanWO_oMRGGrR0W6CyGHgd7u83Gp001u1Bzp6uL5zYehK3D2AfDMmZmMyfRZPP-KQerWmxeK_b2mKvBJFkclWclqDad5lqvRrtyP5nxxhZDMGIcwm_shKj_JoogBH_POTDhd6XEQWMB4il1Lhj3asz-H9IqvC3BR5tsXOFx-LHkalz_StKeJG0QlBdF7KM0GdoTxxnPhfcWwUkCLy0v7HRIN1_X5391wgazjYUeBKyR4Fg01EyBMAkPwF4lKtLl7HyCpstlvCCAt3PUtODAOFCpBoJXx-wvB-MChAqc1rJgc0OFmLwxdZEx4pqeIFZgY1TC9TKB29Ph0Sve4XqqXN8jMP4b-CS-D-HNuNI-HumN_SEqxp2_exWHdZf4dTv3-gZaKA_fOtYiyFO1B3tCeibNurQsEIkW-5UzpWrKZcpDNKuXfQufjoWBQnDgY8uL_baudoe6tWRvlUimaSUa_6-gdVlA6eSz1IurqY4UqELOxJAkHvPii4A7yidYPoIy22Tqykw5F5VY8zWLb74Q6mM-LAB6tl9u540n4CHo7Lt3xe5VDyePuHSUvrel5aoN5iNJmHXIIRkX-MlKVo7JL4DqDx8GRX2-ziz7YBKW-yvl436L0FzaeIG4BznT39ALeLG_1ZW6lMuXrzDKaANnArFFgoT_eo_xA70LfXMWEW8MzJUwjzIbX644wNxFHyjJS7vK2WcIEgmKUJQeTFdDSIH2J3DRICDs-v75myrd9u9tXFzjEQTIB5PFbW4RCMfbWSh1pef34I-TSc2C_DIM0y_jIuI7li6HAyeiu1Le5MfNWZy5W0Aa_waw=w2546-h1550-no?authuser=0

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1
  • Mind blown 1

• Benefactor

Aside from the post-plinthophoric Rhodes AR drachm, the George II AR Crown, and the two minor coppers from Baden, I did buy three other coins at NYINC two weeks ago, all of them relatively inexpensive, common Romans -- nothing to get excited about like the drachm, but they appealed to me!  I finally got around to writing them up, so here they are.

Claudius I AE Quadrans (1/4 As), 41 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG around three-legged modius / Rev. PON M TR P IMP COS DES IT around large S C. 17 mm., 3.09 g., 7 hrs. RIC I 84, BMCRE I Claudius 179 at p. 189 [description at no. 173, var. die axis 6 hrs, ill. Pl. 35 no. 12]; Sear RCV I 1863; Cohen 70. Purchased from Herakles Numismatics, Charlotte, NC, 12 Jan 2023 (at 2023 NYINC). 

image.jpeg.8c0192928bf38437405f1d2b3d916025.jpeg

A rather early Hadrian denarius that looks much better in hand than in the photo I tried to take!

Hadrian, AR Denarius, Rome Mint, AD 120 (late) - 121 [Group 2(b), see RIC II.3 pp. 97, 101], Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right with slight drapery visible on far shoulder, IMP CAESAR TRAIAN - HADRIANVS AVG / Rev. Victory, draped, flying right, wings spread, holding trophy before her (pointed to 2:00) with both hands, P - M TR - P - COS III. 17.5 mm., 3.27 g. RIC II.3 396 (ill. Pl. 11) (2019 ed.); old RIC II 101 (1926 ed.); RSC II 1132 (ill. p. 148); BMCRE III Hadrian 215; Sear RCV II 3527. Purchased from Zuzim Inc, Brooklyn, NY, Jan. 12, 2023 at NYINC 2023.

image.jpeg.5918c6c6ca681b8f95860461d152fa7f.jpeg

Claudius II Gothicus, Billon Tetradrachm, 269/270 AD (Year 2), Alexandria, Egypt mint. Obv. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, AVT K KΛAVΔIOC CEB / Rev. Jugate busts right of Nilus (crowned with lotus-flower and buds, with cornucopiae at his right shoulder), and his consort Euthenia* (wearing chiton and crowned with grain-ears); L under B (Year 2) in right field. Emmett 3892.2 (obv. ill. p. 195); K&G 104.31 (ill. p. 329); BMC 16 Alexandria 2328 (p. 302); Milne 4244-4245 (p. 101); Sear RCV III 11413; Dattari (Savio) 5405; Curtis 1717. 21 mm., 8.83 g., 12 h. Purchased from Dr. Martina Dieterle, Schenkenzell, Baden-Württemberg, Germany, 12 Jan. 2023 (at NYINC 2023); ex FPL Brandt 4, Stuttgard 1986; ex Münzzentrum Köln Auktion 52, 12 Nov. 1984, Lot 1192. [Dr. Dieterle has promised to mail me copies of her documentation of the provenance, since I couldn't find any of it online.]

image.jpeg.77101111709cda1b909d0f0d871e9d4d.jpeg

*See Jones, John Melville, A Dictionary of Ancient Greek Coins (London, Seaby, 1986) at p. 89 [entry for Euthenia]: “ ‘Plenty’, the equivalent of the Roman Abundantia. At Alexandria she was represented as the bride of the Nile, reclining like him, or seated, with corn wreath and sometimes with sceptre and uraeus (sacred cobra).” 

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

1119501405_Fjz75EKpjk2R4kDXS3wbQKn6B97tCc(1).jpg.450c4ccb6244dbb8fee84d5f9c333af1.jpg

Septimius Severus. 193-211 AD. AR Denarius (3.24 gm, 19mm). Unknown Syrian mint. Struck 202 AD.
Obv.: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right.
Rev.: COS III P P, Victory walking left, holding wreath in her right hand and palm in her left.
BMC 732; Cohen 102; RIC 526. gVF.

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

I caught today two coins - complete different themes. One a later Sestertius of Trajan Decius and one denarius of the roman republic epoch. 

image.png.132ff999dc9308745ba4f34591ed41b8.png

Gaius Messius Quintus Traianus Decius
Sestertius of the Roman Imperial Period 250 AD; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 27.5mm; Weight: 16.83g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC IV Trajan Decius 117a; Obverse: Bust of Trajan Decius, laureate, cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG for Imperator Caesar Messius Quintus Traianus Decius Augustus; Reverse: Genius, wearing polos on head, nude except for short cloak on shoulders, standing left, holding patera in right hand and cornucopiae in left hand; to right, standard. The Inscription reads: GENIVS EXERC ILLVRICIANI S C for Genius Exercitus Illuriciani, Senatus Consultum (To the genius [guardian spirit] of the Illyrian army, decree of the senate).

image.png.7b55550c9c957279b26bc2dee627f480.png

Gaius Renius
Denarius of the Roman Republic Period 138 BC; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17.5mm; Weight: 2.80g; Mint: Rome; Reference: Crawford RRC 231/1; Obverse: Helmeted head of Roma, right. Border of dots; Reverse: Juno in a biga of goats, right, wearing diadem and holding sceptre and reins in left hand and whip in right hand. Line border. The Inscription reads: C RENI ROMA for Gaius Renius, Roma.

The gens Rennia, occasionally written Renia, was an obscure plebeian family at ancient Rome. No members of this gens obtained any of the higher offices of the Roman state, but the family is known from inscriptions, and coins issued by a certain Gaius Renius, depicting the head of Roma on the obverse, and on the reverse Juno Caprotina in a chariot pulled by two goats. The appearance of Juno Caprotina suggests that the Rennii may have originated at Lanuvium, where Juno was particularly revered. The etymology of the nomen Rennius is uncertain; Chase suggests a possible connection with the Latin renes, kidneys.

The alliance of the three aspects of Juno finds a strictly related parallel to the Lupercalia in the festival of the Nonae Caprotinae. On that day the Roman free and slave women picnicked and had fun together near the site of the wild fig (caprificus): the custom implied runs, mock battles with fists and stones, obscene language and finally the sacrifice of a male goat to Juno Caprotina under a wildfig tree and with the using of its lymph.

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 3

• Benefactor

D9B404D5-B3AC-4851-9AE5-7432655C5011.jpeg.4b5ff0324f48b4e25ede09ded8141970.jpeg31014558-9338-4CA6-BFD6-F0E024FEB12D.jpeg.9864503db4a5efc00d5b228fb9ee0b8d.jpeg

Julius Caesar, January 44 BC

This is a type that I have sought for many years. I passed up a chance to buy a much nicer one about 30 years ago and have always regretted it. This one came from NAC USA at NYINC. As is standard for this issue, the reverse lettering is weak. It celebrates Caesar’s 5th Consulship. David Sear speculates that this coin would have been given to dignitaries at consular ceremonies.

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 7

So of the coins I received yesterday, one was supposed to be Valerian II.  
As I looked closer at it today....I noticed that it wasn't Valerian II. Instead it is his younger brother, Saloninus. Seems as though it was misattributed. I'm happy either way since I didn't have Valerian II or Saloninus.

473917245_slazzer-edit-image(53).png.da4e14020c7132055cac50cfc1e5a4dd.png

Saloninus
258-260 AD
AE Antoninianus
Antioch or Samosata mint
Obverse: SALON VALERIANVS NOB CAES, radiate, draped bust right
Reverse: SPES PVBLICA, Saloninus standing right, holding spear and receiving flower from Spes, standing left, raising hem of robe. No field mark.

• Like 10
  • Cool Think 1

On 1/10/2023 at 6:37 PM, DonnaML said:

regarding the Constantine SOLI INVICTO COMITI nummus, could someone with experience collecting ancient Roman coins from the Londinium Mint (as I said, this is my first) please let me know if there is, in fact, any definitive answer to the question of what the "P" in PLN stands for?

The cautious references say something along the lines of 'the P in PLN could stand for Prima (first workshop) or Pecunia (money of)'. But there doesn't seem to be much support for Prima. The reason for that is pretty clear when you look at the mintmarks and when they were used:

Moneta (Money/Mint) Signata (Stamped)
ML(XXI): Carausius/Allectus (287-296)
MLL: Constantine I (314-315)

MLN: Constantine I/Licinius I (315-316)
MSL: Allectus/Constantine I/Licinius I(287-296, 315-316)
MSN: Constantine I/Licinius I (very rare, probably an error)

Pecunia or Prima
PLN: Diocletian-Constantine I-Crispus (307-314, 316-321)

PLON: Constantine I-Crispus (320-325)

Other
None: Carausius-Diocletian-Constantine I (287-307)
QL: Allectus (287-296)

LON: Maximian (297)
RSR: Carausius (has been explained as a quote from Vergil - Redeunt Saturnia Regna)

If P stood for Prima, there should be more than one officina. But there is no SLN or TLN. And mostly, only one mintmark is used at a time.

The reason for any doubt is not all the mintmarks have been explained. Why did they use MSL at the same time as ML and MLN? Could S stand for Secunda instead? (Might MSN not be an error after all, given it is used with MLN?).

It isn't even clear if they all really are from London. Early on in the mint's life, it was more common to have no mintmark, and some of those coins have, in the past and even now, been attributed to Lugdunum and the 'C' mint. Even some of the LN mintmarks have been speculated to be from elsewhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

After a 2 month trip, this New Style has arrived!

Attica, Athens, silver tetradrachm, (167-166 B.C. or 135-134 B.C. revised date), (16.51 g), obv. head of Athena Parthenos to right, wearing triple crested Athenian helmet, ornamented with Pegasos, dotted border, rev. owl standing right, head facing on prostrate amphora, to left a standing Asklepios with staff and snake, A QE across, on left side across ME, to right side across in five rows NED/EPI/GENO/NIKOG/SOFA on the amphora letter E, below amphora DI, all within olive wreath, (cf.S.2555, Thompson 351a [example in London Pl.35, from the same obverse die], HGC 4, 1602). Nearly extremely fine and very rare.

Thompson reports 101 known tetradrachms featuring Asklepios, from 9 obverse and 63 reverse dies and only one example from this obverse die. There is a difference of 32 year less between Thompson and the suggested revised chronology. This would make this issue 135-4 B.C.  Asklepios (Asclepius) was the god of medicine in ancient Greek religion and mythology. He was also the patron god, and reputed ancestor, of the Asklepiades (Asclepiades), the ancient guild of doctors. Asklepios was the son of Apollo and the Trikkaian (Triccaean) princess Koronis (Coronis).

image.png.7681a403d17eb7b8e200ef2461cbdd63.pngimage.png.2816a3b6bdf2809e00805d8756c70b84.png

IMG_0877.mov

Edited by filolif
  • Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 4

On 1/24/2023 at 7:30 PM, John Conduitt said:

The reason for any doubt is not all the mintmarks have been explained. Why did they use MSL at the same time as ML and MLN? Could S stand for Secunda instead? (Might MSN not be an error after all, given it is used with MLN?).

I don't think RIC has the Mxx issues ordered correctly, and anyways is missing one of them - the rare MSN S-P.

I think "MS" probably means "moneta sacra" (cf eastern SM = sacra moneta), and in my arrangement the MS issues group together to 315AD, so maybe this "sacra" is related to events of that year (Constantine's decenalia, COS IIII, arch dedication, MAXIMVS title - a lot going on). From Depeyrot's timeline, constructed from Theodosian Code imperial-presence date entries. there's conceivably even room for a visit to London in the first half of the year. In the east "SM" had been used for a while to indicate an imperial presence.

There's all sorts of evidence that the Roman's liked wordplay as well as the occasional clever mintmark, and I think the trailing "L" and "N" likely combined to mean "LN" (Londinium).

So, overall (in this sequence in my arrangement) we have:

MLL - moneta londinium "L" (1st L-N pair)

MLN - moneta londinium "N"

MSL - moneta sacra "L" (2nd L-N pair)

MSN - moneta sacra "N"

MLN - moneta londinium

PLN - pecunia londinium

Edited by Heliodromus
typo
  • Like 4