I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

I watched the documentary Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and the Band a couple of weeks ago.  Any friend of Bob's is a friend of mine.

a9.jpg.d1e2ddc28a341373f5d88ecadbebd057.jpg

Phrygia, Aezanis. Claudius AE20.

Obv: KΛAYΔIOC KAICAΡ, laureate head right.
Rev: AIZANEITΩN EΠI MENEΛAO ΔHMOCΘENOYC in two lines around Zeus standing left, holding eagle and sceptre.
Magistrate Menelaos Demosthenes.
RPC I 3098.

• Like 7
  • Yes 1

Just the other day we were able to attend a concert by Ana Moura.
The song is Fado. Fado means destiny.  A coin of Fortuna fits there.

Just the other day we were able to attend a concert by Ana Moura.
The song is Fado. Fado means destiny.  A coin of Fortuna fits there.

normal_Lucius_Verus_02.jpg.a63c6b061d5f84bc31bdd28c5e55a048.jpg

Lucius Verus
AR Denar, Rome Mint
Obv: L VERVS AVG ARM PARTH MAX, Laureate head right.
Rev: FORT RED TR P VIII IMP V / COS III, Fortuna seated left with rudder and cornucopia.
Ag, 2.96g, 16.7x17.6mm
Ref.: RIC III 586, RSC 111

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

Brought up in a Christian family, then later to try and rid the Empire of Christians and Jews, then to acceptance of same. Pretty impressive for a later Emperor to serve 21 years and then voluntarily abdicate.

diocletian.jpg.7d77108791302defc347a6176980f83e.jpg

Diocletian AD 284-305. Potin Tetradrachm (19.5mm, 7.38 g.)
Egypt, Alexandria mint, dated RY 6 (AD 290/1).
Obv. A K G OYA ΔIOKΛHTIANOC CEB, laureate, cuirassed bust right
Rev. Eirene looking left, holding branch and scepter, leaning on a lituus shaped column, SL (date) across field. No reverse legend.
Attractive brown patina.
Rare variety with Eirene leaning and unusual date order,SL instead of LS

• Like 8
  • Gasp 1

Wow, @expat, I had Exactly Zero idea that Diocletian grew up in a Christian family, or ever thought better of his ensuing policies toward Christians and Jews.  Any help you could provide by way of documentation of this would be keenly appreciated.

...Going all the way back to Isaac Asimov's brilliant juvenile history of the Roman Empire, I need his reply, from retirement in his (well, lavish) palace in Split, to people who were trying to pressure him to return to the throne.  (My paraphrase:) 'If you could see the cabbages I grow with my own hands, you would not speak to me about war and empire.'  ...Just as an amateur student of history, I can get a Lot of traction with that.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

Wow, @expat, I had Exactly Zero idea that Diocletian grew up in a Christian family, or ever thought better of his ensuing policies toward Christians and Jews.  Any help you could provide by way of documentation of this would be keenly appreciated.

...Going all the way back to Isaac Asimov's brilliant juvenile history of the Roman Empire, I need his reply, from retirement in his (well, lavish) palace in Split, to people who were trying to pressure him to return to the throne.  (My paraphrase:) 'If you could see the cabbages I grow with my own hands, you would not speak to me about war and empire.'  ...Just as an amateur student of history, I can get a Lot of traction with that.

I will try to find where I read that. Another lovely bit of his story is,

The Talmud includes several semi-legendary accounts of Diocletian. One of them recounts that Diocletian was originally a swineherd, and that in this part of his life, he was teased and abused by young Jews. When he became the Emperor he called up the leaders of the Jews, who were fearful, saying "We have teased Diocletian the Swineherd but we respect Diocletian the Emperor" – to which Diocletian responded, "You must show respect even to the smallest and lowest of the Romans, because you can never know which one of us will rise to greatness."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Um, this is Pacific time.  Best excuse you get.

image.jpeg.f2cbd6ff0051ba69649ecb227cefdcca.jpeg

image.jpeg.b5b76b7b07252372df930a96e5be2ef4.jpeg

Duchy or Lorraine; Ferri III,  1251-1303.   Petit denier of Nancy --uploaded embarrassingly recently, in a context which I can no longer reconstruct.

...Except, somebody's riding something.  Eliciting this, which everyone and their grandmother needs to see. 

image.jpeg

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 6

Here's an old tune -- for dancing until dawn!

Nothing says "good times" like Hilaritas! An old coin (I've had it for ages).

TetricusIHILARITASAVGGAntoninianus.jpg.774318166305e87f6d1c6f9a18b9229e.jpg
Tetricus I, 271-274 CE.
Roman billon antoninianus, 2.73 g, 20.3 mm, 7 h.
Mainz or Trier, 273-274 CE.
Obv: IMP TETRICVS P F AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right.
Rev: HILARITAS AVGG, Hilaritas standing left, holding long palm and cornucopiae.
Refs: RIC 80; Cohen 54; RCV 11237; Elmer 789; Hunter 16.

• Like 5
  • Smile 1

...It just landed on me, what makes this thread so much fun is that the multidisciplinary part isn't incidental; it's what the whole thing is predicated on. This is my absolute best anonymous Byzantine follis.  Temp. Basil II; Class A2.  It has a personal record amount of the obverse legend, but also the well-known reverse. 

image.jpeg.5e90ac43886b2419538d737cb7891e06.jpeg

Obv. Christ faciing, holding book of Gospels.  +EMMANOVHA (Emmanuel) around; IC-XC in fields.

Rev.  +IhSUS XRISTUS bASILEU bASILE in four --wait for it-- lines.

And this is the best I could do with that.  (Sorry, Jesus.  ...Except that you're of record having liked a good party.)

• Like 4
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1

I haven't posted in this thread for a couple of weeks - here are a couple I've been listening to:

The brilliant but ignored Whipping Boy - this is from their last album.

Here's another Sinéad O'Connor - "Thank You For Hearing Me"

This is the latest coin I've added to Tantalus.

Gens: Petillia
Moneyer: Petillius Capitolinus
Coin: Silver Denarius
PETILLIVS - CAPIT[OLINVS] - Eagle standing front on thunderbolt, wings spread and head to right
- Hexastyle temple with figures on the roof and the architrave; garlands between central columns
Mint: Rome (43 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.91g / 18mm / 1h
References:
  • RSC 2 (Petillia)
  • Sydenham 1150
  • Crawford 487/2a
  • BMCRR Rome 4220
  • RBW 1704
Acquisition: Leu Numismatik Online auction Web Auction 26 #3865 11-Jul-2023

spacer.pngspacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 6
  • Popcorn 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

20230510_190603(2)-side.jpg.05d22c3f97d87ee42c16cfe736ae7dd4.jpg

Constans, AE follis, Siscia. 15 x 18mm. DN CONSTA-NS PF AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / FEL dot TEMP dot REPARATIO, phoenix, radiate, standing right on rocky mound. Mintmark ASIS dot. RIC VIII Siscia 232

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Roman Collector said:

Thank you, and then there are women who more generally know how to walk.  For instance, if you're behind them, on the sidewalk.  Kind of transcends ethnic demographics.  Except that someone probably needs to bust me for being as blatantly sexist as this.  But (sic) guilty as charged.

(Edit:)  No, Really, that much of the net gestalt is about seeing someone who just, may we say, Knows how to Own herself, in real time.  Thank you, there  can be some very real admiration invlolved.  --And a corresponding dimension of respect?  Someone else would have to weigh in on that, after the fistfuls of cutlery had all settled to the kitchen floor.

An old coin -- purchased in 2010.

MamaeaFELICITASPVBLICAstandingsestertius.jpg.1cba4a455a0d301b8d69ddfe4fbba148.jpg
MamaeaFELICITASPVBLICAstandingsestertiusSulzerlisting.JPG.5ec3e79b3a7a772edc4d00680245fccf.JPG

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1

Franz von Suppé was from Split, Croatia.

Diocletian lived in Split, Croatia.

[IMG]
Diocletian, AD 284-305.
Roman billon follis, 10.80 g, 23.6 mm, 7 h.
Rome, AD 302-305.
Obv: IMP C DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG, Laureate head, right.
Rev: SACRA MON VRB AVGG ET CAESS NN, Moneta standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae; star in right field, R P in exergue.
Refs: RIC vi, p. 362, 103a; Cohen 434; RCV 12815.

• Like 7

Sev.jpg.8ffa7a510dd63794e45662d10ac5214b.jpg

CILICIA. Seleucia ad Calycadnum. Severus Alexander (222-235). Ae.
Obv: ΑV Κ Μ ΑVΡ СЄΟVΗΡ ΑΛЄΞΑ, with remaining part of legend ΝΔΡΟС right field inside legend.
Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: СЄΛЄVΚЄΩΝ ΚΑΛVΚΑΔΝ, with remaining Ω of legend in upper right field.
Tyche, holding branch, seated left on rocks between two columns; river god Calycadnum to lower left.
RPC VI online 7034.
Weight: 13.99 g. Diameter: 29 mm.
 (AC Search) ex Numismatik Naumann (formerly Gitbud & Naumann). Auction 79, Lot# 439, 07/07/2019. Purchased from Marti Classical Numismatics, Spain, 2023.

Edited by expat
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Roman Collector said:

Franz von Suppé was from Split, Croatia.

Diocletian lived in Split, Croatia.

[IMG]
Diocletian, AD 284-305.
Roman billon follis, 10.80 g, 23.6 mm, 7 h.
Rome, AD 302-305.
Obv: IMP C DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG, Laureate head, right.
Rev: SACRA MON VRB AVGG ET CAESS NN, Moneta standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae; star in right field, R P in exergue.
Refs: RIC vi, p. 362, 103a; Cohen 434; RCV 12815.

@Roman Collector, please receive equally belated and profound thanks for elevating the dialogue from my last post.

This is likely to be redundant, but I really like this reconstruction (from our friends at Wiki).

undefined

• Like 6

7 hours ago, expat said:

Sev.jpg.8ffa7a510dd63794e45662d10ac5214b.jpg

CILICIA. Seleucia ad Calycadnum. Severus Alexander (222-235). Ae.
Obv: ΑV Κ Μ ΑVΡ СЄΟVΗΡ ΑΛЄΞΑ, with remaining part of legend ΝΔΡΟС right field inside legend.
Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: СЄΛЄVΚЄΩΝ ΚΑΛVΚΑΔΝ, with remaining Ω of legend in upper right field.
Tyche, holding branch, seated left on rocks between two columns; river god Calycadnum to lower left.
RPC VI online 7034.
Weight: 13.99 g. Diameter: 29 mm.
 (AC Search) ex Numismatik Naumann (formerly Gitbud & Naumann). Auction 79, Lot# 439, 07/07/2019. Purchased from Marti Classical Numismatics, Spain, 2023.

Wow, @expat, from here, Roman provincial even as early as this still has novelty value; never went near it as a collector, apart from the really late, correspondingly nominal Alexandrian tetradrachms.  But along with the song, the video is really engaging.  I had no idea I could like Neil Diamond this much. 

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 2

I'm not really a Hozier fan, but when he brings out a song and video inspired by a character created by my favourite writer, I have to give it a listen...

De Selby

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/the-fantastic-flann-o-brien-1.611390

Here's a recent acquisition I photographed today:

• Obv. legend: S P Q R IMP CAESARI AVG COS XI TRI POT VI
  • Obv. description: Head of Augustus, bare, right
  • Portrait: Augustus
  • Rev. legend: CIVIB ET SIGN MILIT A PART RECVP (or RECVPER)
  • Rev. description: Triumphal arch surmounted by quadriga, figures to the right and left
  • RIC 136/137

It was sold as RIC 137, but as I can't read all the reverse legend it could be RIC 136. (RIC 137 ends with RECVPER and 136 with RECVP).

Augustus_RIC_137_Obv.JPG.4c3d0dc25bb33d42cb34d7e3c6fc51ad.JPGAugustus_RIC_137_Rev.JPG.0e11780cc3bea444ab03d976d5900f3b.JPG

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

This thread needs some DOO-WOP!!!

And in the still of the night, one can see the crescent moon and the stars.

[IMG]

Faustina I, AD 138-140.
Roman Æ as or dupondius, 13.77 g, 28.1 mm, 11 h.
Rome, AD 140.
Obv: DIVA AVGVSTA-FAVSTINA, veiled bust, right.
Rev: S C, crescent and seven stars.
Refs: RIC 1199b; BMC 1478; Cohen 276; Strack 1249; RCV --.
Notes: Ex Walter Neussel, Peus E-Auction 420, lot 5290, 18 Nov 2017, acquired October 1959, Maison Platt, Paris.
  • Like 4