I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

1 hour ago, JeandAcre said:

Thanks, @Alegandron, not least for your timing in posting this!  I was stuck streaming 'Marketplace' on NPR, and have to appreciate anything that can lower my intake of news.  This was one of the relatively few movies that I had to break down and get the video of.  ...Or saw in the theater.  Just, Too Good.  A lot of fantastic music (now I'm wanting to hear some Sam and Dave) and, Right, it's That funny!

Your Hunnic bull and horseman is cool, too.  It surprised me that imitations, even of Huns in the general neighborhood (had to Wiki them), would have so much figurative detail.  Granted, I'm more familiar with the much later, stylized examples,

Thank you!, Kind Sir!

• Laugh 1

How about some Fleetwood Mac?!

And here's an oldie from my early days of collecting.

Domna VENVS GENETRIX Antoninianus.jpg

Julia Domna 193-217 CE, issued under Caracalla.
Roman AR Antoninianus, 5.11 g, 23.3 mm.
Rome, 217 CE.
Obv: IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG, diademed and draped bust right on crescent.
Rev: VENVS GENETRIX, Venus enthroned left, holding apple; Cupid at feet.
Refs: RIC 389a; BMCRE 27; RCV 7099; Cohen 206; Hill 1582; CRE 393.
  • Like 7
  • Smile 1

Here's my very cool follis of Maxentius, from @Spaniard, via our very own Cabinet subsite.  I need how it's from the Rome mint, and has this cool temple.  An eloquent reminder of how much of the classical Roman ethos was fully in place as late as this.  

image.jpeg.6b8793cda4dfb55f6dbf054e514c6c26.jpeg

And here's some Coltrane.  I like to think of him as kind of the Beethoven to Charlie Parker's Mozart (witness A Love Supreme), but he could be this chill when he wanted to.

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

12 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

Here's my very cool follis of Maxentius, from @Spaniard, via our very own Cabinet subsite.  I need how it's from the Rome mint, and has this cool temple.  An eloquent reminder of how much of the classical Roman ethos was fully in place as late as this.  

image.jpeg.6b8793cda4dfb55f6dbf054e514c6c26.jpeg

And here's some Coltrane.  I like to think of him as kind of the Beethoven to Charlie Parker's Mozart (witness A Love Supreme), but he could be this chill when he wanted to.

Oh yeah!!! How about some Sonny Rollins?!

Here's my Maxentius -- from my early collecting days!

MaxentiusCONSERVVRBSVAEfollis.jpg.5f3938a06faeaac5f3af8c9f56a1cfeb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Cookie 1

How have we survived without any Pogues?

Rainy Night in Soho, live from 1988.

Here's a coin I like - slabbed, I'm afraid!

Ruler: Julius Caesar (Imperator)
Gens: Julia
Moneyer: A. Allienus
Coin: Silver Denarius
C·CAESAR / IMP·COS·ITER - Bust of Venus, right, draped and wearing diadem
A·ALLIENVS / PRO·COS - Trinacrus, left, placing right foot on prow and holding triskeles in right hand and cloak in left hand
Mint: Sicily (47 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.71g / 18mm / 9h
References:
  • RSC 1 (Julius Caesar)
  • Sydenham 1022
  • Crawford 457/1
  • BMCRR Sicily 5
  • HCRI 54
Provenances:
  • Ex. Dean Kinzer Collection
  • Ex. CGB Live Auction Mars 2022, 8-Mar-2022, lot brm_719610
Acquisition: Heritage Auctions Online auction #63159 14-Dec-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

Massively great, @akeady.  The Pogues are one of any number of bands who I heard more about than I ever heard.  ...Thank you, working-class London, Thatcher era.  Replete with the lead singer missing a front tooth (edit:) front teeth.  Needing to find some more of them on YouTube.

Here (yes, another repost) is my best denier of the future Edward I, as Duke of Aquitaine.

image.jpeg.17c3dc4bdfaefa5a80a38fa2fc193b67.jpeg

Then, only more to the point, there's this.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

Here we have Sultan of Rum and Sultans of swing

20230629_151251(2)-side.jpg.097198bc8eb47461040ed67290e2bd51.jpg

Islamic AE Fals 21mm, 4.06g
Seljuqs of Rum, Kaykhusraw II b. Kayqubad. 1236-1245, Album 1220
Left image, the Kalima reads; "there is no god but / Allah; Muhammad / is the apostle of Allah"
Right image reads; "the sultan the very great / Kaykhusraw / bin Kayqubad"

Ghiyath al-Din Kaykhusraw ibn Kayqubād or Kaykhusraw II was the sultan of the Seljuqs of Rûm from 1237 until his death in 1246. He ruled at the time of the Babai uprising and the Mongol invasion of Anatolia. He led the Seljuq army with its Christian allies at the Battle of Köse Dağ in 1243

• Like 7
  • Smile 1

Livia will never be remembered as a great wife, so...

Koinon, Thessaly 

Pseudo-autonomous 
41-54 AD (Time of Claudius)
AE Assarion (17.5mm, 4.18g)
Antigonos (Strategos)
O: Draped bust of Livia right; ΘEΣΣ-AΛΩN around.
R: Hekate advancing right, holding torch in each hand; monogram to right, ΣTPATHΓANTIΓON-OY around. 
RPC I, 1438; BCD Thessaly II, 928
ex Frank Kovacs; ex Mark Breitsprecher

normal_1542171609434651265871.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 8
  • Clap 1

47 minutes ago, Phil Anthos said:

Livia will never be remembered as a great wife, so...

Koinon, Thessaly 

Pseudo-autonomous 
41-54 AD (Time of Claudius)
AE Assarion (17.5mm, 4.18g)
Antigonos (Strategos)
O: Draped bust of Livia right; ΘEΣΣ-AΛΩN around.
R: Hekate advancing right, holding torch in each hand; monogram to right, ΣTPATHΓANTIΓON-OY around. 
RPC I, 1438; BCD Thessaly II, 928
ex Frank Kovacs; ex Mark Breitsprecher

normal_1542171609434651265871.jpg

Brilliant, @Phil Anthos --and belated welcome to the forum!

...Who was the band who did that cover of this?  Now I forget.

image.png.a2735f29472c4acd0c647e2d003b00d0.png

Henry III, AR penny of London, long cross type, Class IIa, 1248. Ex Brussels Hoard (?).

Obv. Henry facing, crowned.

[With ellisions of the letter ‘R’:] *hEN2ICVS REX TE2CI’ (“HENRICVS REX TERCI[VS];” King Henry the Third).

Rev. Voided long cross, three pellets in each angle.

[From 1 o’clock:] HIC [/] OLE [/] ON L [/] VND (“NICOLE ON LVND[E];” [the moneyer] Nicole of London).

North 985/1 (and p. 228 for mint and moneyer); Spink (2009) 1361 (and p. 146 for mint and moneyer); Stewartby pp. 80-82. Attr. to the Brussels Hoard by the seller.

My apologies if I've already posted the video, too.  I still have trouble searching this site (my issue, not @Restitutor's); didn't find it.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 8

Wow, Peter (my middle name, btw), it's blowing my fat head off that you saw the Clash three times.  From here, the one that wasn't great would probably have been good enough!

Just over the past couple of weeks, the main maintenance guy at my apartment complex was saying that his son saw Burning Spear, not even very long ago.  Thank you, of the iconic, '70's reggae musicians, he's the last one who's still among us. 

Has to evoke the one chance I had to see Bob Marley (in Portland, Oregon, as an undergrad in college) on what ended up being their last tour that made it as far west as that.  One, I really didn't have the cash; two, who knew that he'd be dead within a couple of years?

...Wait, this has to end on a better note than that.  Time to figure something out. 

Comte de La Marche; obole, with the collector's ticket it showed up with.

image.jpeg.8afe069c12a1db1cba4474b0210f2e49.jpeg

image.jpeg.642a8cb830a01fa609e069d992efe2cb.jpeg

image.jpeg.fbb77ceb0d73847f8bf96918fdea5158.jpeg

Right, a tune.  Give me one more minute.

Am I wrong, or has anyone posted some of this kind of thing yet?

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 8

River theme

BJg2F7Gnor9N8xWgqFR6E5yQtPt4c3.jpg.1e6afe84fbf634ca254e6dea4a2415d6.jpg

Antoninus Pius. Æ. As. TIBERIS. 140-143 AD
ANTONINVS AVG. PIVS P.P. Laureate head to the right.
  Reverse: TIBERIS. S.C. In exergue: TR. POT. COS III.
-Tíber reclining to the left and placing his hand on a rudder.

8.95g 25mm. Very scarce.
C-822. RIC. 706 a-S.

• Like 6

On 7/2/2023 at 2:53 AM, JeandAcre said:

Massively great, @akeady.  The Pogues are one of any number of bands who I heard more about than I ever heard.  ...Thank you, working-class London, Thatcher era.  Replete with the lead singer missing a front tooth (edit:) front teeth.  Needing to find some more of them on YouTube.

Shane was a great songwriter and his singing style works for his songs.   He's still alive, against all odds, but has been in poor health for some time - this is a recent visit to him by Bruce Springsteen - at least he has some new teeth!

Victoria said the visit was 'exciting'

I think Springsteen had been listening to "Sally MacLennane" when he wrote "American Land"!

Here's a version of Haunted with Sinéad O'Connor, originally recorded with Cáit O'Riordan for the Sid & Nancy movie (Cáit was bass player with Pogues, then left to marry Elvis Costello).   In some (all?) live versions, Shane seems the worse for wear and Sinéad does most of the singing.

Here's the satyr Marsyas, after a skinful 😄

Moneyer: L. Censorinus
Coin: Silver Denarius
- Laureate head of Apollo right
L. CENSOR - The satyr Marsyas, standing left with wine-skin on shoulder; behind him, column surmounted by draped figure (Minerva?)
Mint: Rome (82 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.90g / 17mm / 6h
References:
  • RSC 24 (Marcia)
  • Sydenham 737
  • Crawford 363/1d
Acquisition: Artemide Aste Online Auction Asta 24.2E #1393 (part) 20-Oct-2013

spacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 8

I saw this guy at Glastonbury the other day. This song and coin seem to match best 🤣

Antoninus Pius Denarius, 158-159
image.png.6ae085c4c88827019ac33736c4ae8ee3.png
Rome. Silver, 16x18mm, 3.11g. Head of Antoninus Pius, laureate, right; ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P. Antoninus Pius, veiled, togate as a priest, standing left, sacrificing out of patera in right hand over tripod-altar left, holding roll in left hand at side; beside altar, a prostrate, slain bull; VOTA SOL DEC II; COS IIII ([RIC III, 291). From the Westbury Sub Mendip (Somerset) Hoard of 188 denarii, found in 2016.

• Like 9