I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

Commodus VICT BRIT Commemorative Sestertius, 184
image.png.fcf4153d3fa940ffe46488e2ee482f23.png
Rome. Bronze, 29.5mm, 22.61g. Laureate head right; M COMMODVS ANTON AVG PIVS BRIT. Victory, winged, draped, seated right on shields, cradling palm frond in right arm, inscribing shield set on knee and held in place by left hand, two shields on ground to left; P M TR P VIIII IMP VII COS IIII P P S C; VICT BRIT in exergue (RIC III, 440). A serious revolt erupted in Britain in 184, but was quickly put down and commemorated with coins.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

Carly Simon and Commodus reminds me of this very cynical take on marriage, like something Crispina might have sang.

[IMG]
Crispina, AD 177-182.
Roman Æ As, 11.64 g, 23.6 mm, 6 h.
Rome, AD 180-182.
Obv: CRISPINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust right
Rev: VENVS FELIX SC, Venus seated left, holding Victory and scepter
Refs: RIC 686; BMCRE 440; Cohen 41; RCV 6021; MIR 21-7/3c.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks, @Sulla80, for your post from (...wait for it) yesterday.  With that movie clip (heard a review of it somewhere), and another link to your impressive blog --you get No Points for false modesty!

Never mind that remarkable coin.  Having seen plenty of Hellenistic coins as late as that, I'd never seen anything like this that was issued under Roman Republican rule.  I'm still not done with the convergence of cultural and political dynamics.  Right, Rome was already busily conquering that much of the eastern Mediterranean.  Blah, blah.  But as a gestalt, the coin itself effectively inhabits a separate level.  From here, the profile of Zeus reflexively evoked Ptolemaic issues.  ...And then you get Greek legends, but in Papirius Carbo's name, and with a seated, Woops, Roma on the reverse.  ...It's all just too great.

...So there should be a tune, and so forth, to go with this.  The coin is recent, not only as a post (in Exonumia) but as an acquisition.  But some improvisation is called for.

image.jpeg.5a031236b134a47072e600640c2ea2d7.jpeg

image.jpeg.93b8c6e29b78864c8d0796e3a281b65c.jpeg

Bristol.  Farthing token, 1652.  You could look at this post, along with @John Conduitt's very illuminating expansion of the attribution, a little earlier in the thread.  

And one from what still has to be my all-time favorite album from Neil Young and Crazy Horse.  Yeah, kind of sad, but art gets to be sad if it wants to, especially when it's this good.  

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 6

Walking on a wave She came...

Laodicea ad Lycum, Phrygia

189-133 BC
AE 15 (15 mm, 2.38g)
O: Draped bust of Aphrodite right, wearing sphendone with hair tied behind.
R: Aphrodite standing left, wearing long chiton and holding dove in right hand; rose to left, ΛAO∆IKEΩN downward to right.
SNG Cop 497; Sear 5156; BMC Phrygia 284, 30
ex Forvm Auctions

And since it's twofer Tuesday...

14217q00~2.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

To carry the theme of prophetism

Troas, Gergis. Circa 4th-3rd Century BC. AE 12mm, 1.28 g. Head of Sibyl Herophile right, three-quarters facing / ΓEΡ, Sphinx sitting right. SNG von Aulock 1515; SNG Ashmolean 1147; SNG Cop 338.

20230322_173458(2).jpg.2d3ecb2f8c88f215c5c42787b785cc15-side.jpg.f8ff7edda117d3d6be275335bdeb5581.jpg

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

There are few experiences as painful as unrequited love.

Similarly, there are coins that are simply unattainable, even though we desperately want them. This reverse type is known only the sestertius denomination and it's very rare, so I can only dream of acquiring one for my numophylacium. It is known only from three museum specimens cited by Strack and a single coin sold at auction (this coin).

FaustinaJrPVDICITIASCseatedsestertiustwochildrenBertolami.jpg.6f7d67b1d6bbdf1c58878459169994aa.jpg
Sestertius, RIC 1382; Bertolami E-Auction 59, lot 739, 20 May, 2018.

FaustinaJrPVDICITIASCseatedsestertiustwochildrenBnF.jpg.f2cfdb8734c5118c69f0bc8a6e9b919d.jpg
Specimen in the Bibliothèque nationale de France.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Crusaders is the theme for this

Cilician Armenia. Royal. King Hetoum I, with Queen Zabel AD 1226-1270.
1Tram AR
Obverse
Crowned lion standing right with a long cross in its paw.
Lettering: ՀԵԹՈՒՄ ԹԱԳԱՒՈՐ ՀԱՅՈՑ
Translation: Hetoum king of the Armenians
Reverse
Queen Zabel and king Hetoum holding a long cross.
Lettering: ԿԱՐՈՂՈՒԹ ԻԻՆՆ ԱՅ Ե
Translation: By the will of God

21 mm, 2,97 g
Issuer    Cilician Armenia (Crusader and Christian states in the Eastern Mediterranean)  

King    Hethum I (Հեթում Ա) (1226-1270)

Type    Standard circulation coin
Years    1226-1270
Value    1 Tram
Currency    Tram (1080-1301)
Composition    Silver
Weight    3.2 g
Diameter    21 mm
Shape    Round (irregular)
Technique    Hammered

Demonetized    Yes
Number    N#

5458106_1713535176.l-removebg-preview.png.3bdbb93700cfe1ed2e557d55e07dbcef.png

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Yowie, @expat, that's what we needed all this time!  It's been dormant a while, but I'm a Crusaders fan.  But only c. mid-late '70's, along with one cassette maybe all the way back to the '60's, when they were still the Jazz Crusaders.  Love the horns.  But who is the singer on this?!!!?  ...Think I'll just have to look it up.

Congrats on the very solid Hetoum & Zabel; I can't not be impressed how comprehensively you arrived at the attribution, outside your usual collecting field.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

Yowie, @expat, that's what we needed all this time!  It's been dormant a while, but I'm a Crusaders fan.  But only c. mid-late '70's, along with one cassette maybe all the way back to the '60's, when they were still the Jazz Crusaders.  Love the horns.  But who is the singer on this?!!!?  ...Think I'll just have to look it up.

Congrats on the very solid Hetoum & Zabel; I can't not be impressed how comprehensively you arrived at the attribution, outside your usual collecting field.

Thanks, but Numista is a great place to start on just about anything. I didn´t actually listen to that one before I posted. I assumed it would be Randy Crawford.

• Smile 1

Thanks for the heads up about Numista!  I've never stumbled onto them; that'll be fun to look up.

...Now I'm wondering if my next one here will be some of the old-timey Crusaders.  Earlier on, they were all instrumental.

(Edit:)  Just Wiki'd Randy Crawford.  If I ever heard of her, it was only as a name.  Interestingly, though, she has collaborated with Joe Sample, the keyboardist for the Crusaders.  If you did get around to posting some of her stuff, I wouldn't argue!

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1

Diocletian needed someone with military brawn to compliment his organisational brain

Maximianus, AE radiate fraction. 295-299 AD. Cyzicus. IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS PF AVG, radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right / CONCORDIA MI-LITVM, Emperor standing right, receiving Victory on globe from Jupiter, standing left and holding sceptre. KΔ in lower centre. 2.74g, 24mm. RIC VI Cyzicus 16B.
Maximian was nicknamed Herculius due to his military strength and brawn. He reigned as Co-Emperor with Diocletian, in the East, for 20 years,

5278227_1710749193.l-removebg-preview-Copy.png.cfd4ffba5085f3d02d7293f26a76c957.png

• Like 3

Oh, No!  From here, the Youtube isn't accesssible! 

...But Wait!  There's More!  I clicked on the 'play' button anyway, and got some very cool internal links --some Augustus Pablo, interviews with Miles and Zappa, etc.  Tabbed; going there next.  Beats the rerun of local NPR that's playing now. 

• Like 2

One that often gets assigned to William 'the Bastard,' although Duplessy is cagier about it.  It's the latest Norman denier I have with a coherent, never mind legible legend (if you really squint).

4091684_1683273625.jpg

Normandy, "Richard II (996-1026) et Successeurs [up to the 12th century; this from Duplessy]."  Denier of Rouen; the obverse triangles still preserving a vestige of the 'temple' issue of Richard I, imitating the 9th-c. ones of Louis I, with the prominent triangular pediment.

Obv. Crosslet in a central circle, bordered by annulets and triangles.

Rev. Cross, with the distinctively Norman pellet in each angle.

+[R]OTOMAGVS; 'S' couchant.  Duplessy 29.

...It's hard not to think that the title refers to Billie Holiday, but the coin was the nearest I could get.

(Edit:)  Since this is juxtaposing things French with Charlie Parker, the story must be told.  Parker was notorious for being able to talk anyone under the table about any number of subjects.  Once, when he and the band were on tour in Paris, he met the Existenialist philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre.  He's of record saying to him, 'I like your playing very much.'

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Something odd but catchy I discovered today - "Friendly Father", from North Korea.   Real K-Pop! - it sounds like something that would have won a Eurovision Song Contest by a landslide in the 1980s, maybe still would.

How to follow that? - how about the original Pater Patriae?   Indeed, one also claiming to be the son of a God.

Ruler: Augustus (Augustus)
Coin: Silver Denarius
CAESAR AVGVSTVS DIVI F PATER PATRIAE - Laureate head right
PONTIF MAXIM - Livia seated right holding sceptre and olive branch
Mint: Lugdunum (13-14 AD)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.86g / 19mm / 7h
References:
  • RIC 220
  • BMC 545-546
Acquisition: Ibercoin Online auction 25 June 2014 #111 25-Jun-2014

Augustus_RIC220_Obv.JPG.a5cb125ae47ee5c096f244b508816608.JPGAugustus_RIC220_Rev.JPG.bc99504187318aff3360ad18863344a2.JPG

Enjoy!
Aidan.

• Like 2
  • Cool Think 1
  • Gasp 1

7 minutes ago, expat said:

A tribute to Duane Eddy who passed away last week aged 86. In the late 50´s and 60´s he had a string of hits, with a very catchy "twangy" guitar sound.

A young Geta

20231221_175944__2_-side-removebg-preview.png.54d9a493c177c1e8dc7293e92a871291.png

I didn't know Duane Eddy had died.  🙁  Then again I didn't realize he was still alive. A foundational guitarist whom many owe a debt to.

~ Peter 

• Like 2

AV tari of al-Mustansir billah, emir of Sicily /Siqillîyah AH 427-487 /1036-1094 CE.  Palermo mint.  Album 722.  I still can't read the Arabic, but the kalima seems to gets along nicely with the Star of David.

image.jpeg.b56619682853ee3baba230f031295165.jpeg

image.jpeg.682b42cc1b4611b740d79131327bb4b5.jpeg

This late, on the eve of the initial Norman campaigns against Sicily, al-Mustansir was nominally subject to the Fatimid caliphate.  But this far west to their center of gravity, he was effectively autonomous.  

If this sounds as pompous as it probably is, Sorry; please don't throw anything too ripe.  But I like that as a demonstration of an enduring principle, universal enough to transcend any given context.  People can always be distinguished from the political agendas which are arbitrarily associated with them.

That was when I needed some oud.  You've got no obligation to sit through all of it.   But I did, and might do it again.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

I'm going to see Dr. John Cooper Clarke next week 🙂

Maybe the Muse of Lyric Poetry is suitable?

Gens: Pomponia
Moneyer: Q. Pomponius Musa
Coin: Silver Denarius
- Laureate head of Apollo right, two crossed flutes behind
Q. POMPONI / MVSA - Euterpe, Muse of Lyric Poetry, standing right, supporting chin with arm resting on colunmn to right and holding two tibiae
Mint: Rome (66 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.82g / 19mm / 7h
References:
  • RSC 13 (Pomponia)
  • Sydenham 815
  • Crawford 410/5
Provenances:
  • Ex. Andrew McCabe Collection
  • Ex. Art Coins Roma Auction 3, 31-May-2011, lot 215
Acquisition: Roma Numismatics Online Auction E-Sale 18 #810 27-Jun-2015

lg_Cr410_5_Obv.jpg.1fdb1ce0684875c307d8081b9139e659.jpglg_Cr410_5_Rev.jpg.71b1d7751cdfa1b7b87ed19b0c8aa1fa.jpg

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1