I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

[IMG]
Licinius I, AD 308-324.
Roman billon follis, 2.71 g, 18.3 mm, 11 h.
Heraclea, second officina, AD 317-18.
Obv: IMP LICI-NIVS AVG, Laureate and draped bust right, holding globe, scepter and mappa.
Rev: PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG, three-turreted gateway of military camp; Λ in right field; SMHB in exergue.
Refs: RIC vii, p. 547, 48 var. (bust right); Cohen 145; RCV 15268.

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

Antoninus Pius AE As, RIC 733, Cohen 450, BMC 1624
143-144 AD. ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III, laureate head right / IMPERATOR II S-C, Sow facing right under helm-oak, suckling four young, another piglet in front. SC in ex. 25mm, 10.09gr Scarce

Qik2j9GbeTS5k6DyxE33Jq8Ft7ZNRH.jpg

• Like 5

Athens, Attica

Eleusinian Festival Coinage
340-335 BC
AE 16 (16mm, 3.65g)
O: Triptolemos seated left in winged chariot drawn by two serpents, holding grain ear in right hand.
R: Pig standing right on mystic staff; EΛEYΣI above, bucranium in ex.

normal_Eleusis_AE.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

In appreciation of the Month

RIC VII, SISCIA [after 11], LICINIUS I, UNLISTED OBVERSE LEGEND
OBVERSE IMP[L]ICINIV[S]AVG [IMP LICINIVS AVG]; head r., laur. REVERSE IOVICON-SERVATORI [IOVI CONSERVATORI]; Jupiter stg. l., chlamys across l. shoulder, leaning on sceptre, Victory on globe in r. hand; eagle with wreath to l. B in right field. SIS in exergue.
NOT IN RIC UNLISTED OBVERSE LEGEND. Not attested for this issue. RIC lists only longer obv. legends: IMP LIC LICINIVS P F AVG and IMP LICINIVS P F AVG (p. 422). Coin should be listed after SISCIA 11
20.3mm, 2.53gr

20230326_235234__2_-side-removebg-preview.png

• Like 6

Dang, I'm Really Needing everyone's contributions over the past day.  All of 'em, and all of you.  You're All Stuff.  ...And Don't Stop telling some truth; these days, thank you, it's at a premium.  Well, the fact that it (like so many members of our species) has been commodified in the first place is likely to tell you something.

Except that, bouncing off of @expat's last contribution (Watch the Video; It's Good For You), I'm feeling the need of something on a comparable level.  Watch this, for another minute.

image.jpeg.712f5c95474d21afb0c03f641b6619f1.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is a petit denier of  Simon II, Duke of Lorraine 1176-1205.  What I need most is the represenatiion --thank you, as schematic as it is-- of a stone keep, surroundld by a stone curtain wall.  Castellologically, that's within loud shouting distance of being state-of-the-art for the period.  Okay, over all of Europe besides France, which was really, Oops (should that be, 'Oups'?) in the avante-garde.                '

...Which could elicit  the game of chess, especially  as referenced by  Lewis Carroll, who in turn is cited by these Engliish hippies.   --English hippies? I can only say, God bless them, evey one.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 6

In memoriam. R.I.P., Gary Wright, a true pioneer in electronic music when the synthesizer was a novelty.

DomnaHILARITASpateraandpalmdenariusCNG.jpg.a78a0fe780183d2a1f28dc4637b48c94.jpg
Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
Roman AR denarius, 3.53 g, 20.0 mm, 12 h.
Rome, AD 202-203.
Obv: IVLIA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: HILARITAS, Hilaritas standing left, holding patera and palm branch.
Refs: RIC 558; BMCRE p. 161, *; Cohen/RSC 78; RCV --; CRE 351; Hill 554; ERIC II 97.
Notes: Ex-CNG; Ex-AK collection; Wildwinds "plate" coin.

• Like 4
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1

For exactly no reason at all, besides having just won it, this is the coin.

GERMANY. Regensburg. Heinrich X der Stolze (1126-1138). Pfennig .   Obv: Half-...

Heinrich X der Stolze ('the Proud'), Welf Duke of Bavaria 1126-1138. Pfennig of Regensberg.  The dealer, Naumann, cites Emmerig 54  --yet another reference, especially for German coins, that goes sailing over my head.

Obv: Half-length figure, presumably on horseback; wearing mail and with a pennon and shield, both of them still evoking depictions on the Bayeux Tapestry.  (Thank you, respectively one and two generations after the tapestry itself, and the events.  Yep, as represented here, the shield is much smaller --as likely a concession to the coin's module as to contemporaneous practice.  But it's the same shape, with the distinctly rounded top, replaced by the by the 'flatiron' type by the beginning of the 13th century.

200px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_House_of_Brienne_%28Counts_of_Brienne%29.svg.png
Rev: Three-towered building with double arch.  I'm wanting to think that this represents the original, Romanesque cathedral of Rgensberg, of which there isn't much left.  (The good news, such as it is, is that the Gothic replacement, going back to the 13th century, is essentially intact.)

...Right, so, as threatened, this has effectively zero relevance to any of that.

Just, "I don't want much; I just want a little bit."  To quote Hendrix, "And so forth, you dig?"

(Edit, Tuesday 5 September:) I really need how John Lee Hooker, over the early '70's (thank you, Some of us know which century that's about --Hint: vinyl), was effectively conducting a sustained graduate seminar for hippies who wanted to learn how to play the blues.  God rest his soul.)

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 7

Julian II 'The Philosopher' (as Augustus)

361-363 AD
AE3 (19.8mm, 3.12g)
O: Diademed, helmeted and cuirassed bust left, holding shield and spear; DN FL CL JVLIANVS AVG.
R: VOT X MVLT XX in four lines within wreath; NIK[A] below.
Nicomedia mint, officina A.
RIC VIII Nicomedia, 123; ERIC II Julian 422; Elmer 132; Sear 4074v
Some smoothing, re-patinated.

~ Peter 

Julian_II.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 5
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

@Phil Anthos, the content of this song registers.  Promising you.  Solid example of Julian 'the Philosopher,' by the way.  (I always liked Marcus Aurelius more, in the same capacity.  Which is already sounding dumbly obvious.)

Except, well, back to the lyrics, for one, you can't "disturb" God.  He (gender issues may also apply) Wants to hear from you.  No, not making that up.

And at this juncture in my ongoing spiritual evolution, I can confidently promise you that He (as above) is Not some white guy with a beard.  We have Santa Claus for that.  If He didn't change color, Just For One, I would have apostated (that's about me, not Julian) long ago.

And this shit is Not all his fault.  Thank you, We had something to do with it.  For instance, all the way from our communal addiction to internal combustion engines, while the planet relentlessy goes to Hell, to the crucifixion of my Lord.  ...By the same kind of politico-religious elites that are spouting their bullshit to this day.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1

Faustina II AE Sestertius. 19,80g, 33mm.
 DIVA FAV-STINA PIA, draped bust right / SIDERIBVS RECEPTA S-C, Faustina as Diana, standing right, holding long torch across body with both hands, crescent behind neck. RIC 1715, Cohen 215. SEAR 1988 # 1530
Commemorative issue struck under Aurelius, circa
175/6 AD.
Reverse struck twice with clear images of two torches and two S of SC. Bizarrely, it circulated for a long time in this condition.

mD3TD2s4oQB8o4BfjRq7E6rFb69KX5.jpg

• Like 6

Chillin' to some George Benson. Nothing smoother!

This one's been in my collection for years. It's an old coin, indeed. It's smooth, too.

Hadrian PIETAS AVGVSTI dupondius.jpg
Hadrian, AD 117-138.
Roman orichalcum dupondius, 13.78 g, , 26.1 mm, 7 h.
Rome, ca. AD 119-124.
Obv: IMP CAESAR TRAIAN HADRIANVS AVG P M TR P COS III, radiate and draped bust, right.
Rev: PIETAS AVGVSTI, Pietas, veiled, draped, standing facing right before a lighted altar, raising her right hand and holding a box of incense in her left.
Refs: RIC 601c; BMCRE 1233-34; Cohen 1044; Strack 542; RCV 3665; Hill 257.

• Like 6

@expat, that Kicked some stuff, All Over the Block.  Thank you.  Yes, I remember the tune from '70's, top 40 radio.  Back when there was such a thing.

For people who've been paying attention to the news, whether just lately or, for instance, the last four decades and change, maybe this is called for. 

First, though, the coin.  It's only of less relevance to the music (...watch this space...) than @panzerman's latest contribution to the forum (

).  But it's the nearest pic of anything I can find from my collection, for this minute.  If the pic isn't familiar to you, it should be, by rights, with attendant apologies.  Earlyish Venetian grosso, holed; P. Ziani; earlier 13th c.

image.jpeg.c22685eb637a412a1a97e173174a1a5d.jpeg

And here's some of what I like to call 'Medicine Music.'  By Francesco Canova de Milano, lutenist and composer of the first half of the 16th c. 

This Is The Best Reading of Any of His Stuff that I've Ever Heard.  --Thank you, Medicine Music.  Meaning, music (especially instrumental: this only emphasizes its function) that has the capacity to operate in an explicitly therepeutic capacity.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Gx9azQQ6M7tmwT4N3frRBd2g5dTAN8-Copy.jpg.945a120da86918d911eca5dd4259db42.jpg

Faustina Junior. Augusta, AD 147-175. Orichalcum Dupondius

Rome mint. Struck under Marcus Aurelius, circa AD 170-175/6.

Obv. FAUSTINA AUGUSTA. Draped bust right. Hair curls down cheek, hair in low chignon fastened with band of pearls.

Rev. JUNO standing left, holding patera and scepter; at feet to left, peacock standing left, head right. SC across fields.

(25mm, 11.53 g.) RIC III 1647 (Aurelius)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, robinjojo said:

Ptolemy II Philadelphus,  AE drachm, circa 265 BC Alexandria.  Delta below eagle on reverse.

SV 431

66.91 grams

D-CameraPtolemyIIPhiladelphusAEdrachmc265BCAlexandriadeltabeloweagleSV43166.91g7-4-23.jpg.dcd6c5c596c799656ddc9ae2fda751c7.jpg

@robinjojo, where 19th-century European music is concerned, I've never ventured much farther than Beethoven (granted, the later part of the ouvre) and Chopin.  You are summarily owed my summary, emphatic gratitude for demonstrating how composers like Brahms were not only sustaining, but advancing the Romantic musical esthetic beyond the middle of the century.

...Nope, this is just Stuff.  You are seriously due some gratitude, for broadening my horizons.

• Like 2

Oh, there ain't no love, no Montagues or Capulets.

Leonardo Loredan Type 9 Soldino, 1501-1521
image.png.8903feec7e81c3a27834fb063d799efb.png
Venice. Silver, 0.22g. Doge, as standard bearer of Venice, kneeling left, receiving the banner of St Mark from the patron saint; LE·LAV·DVX·S·M·V·  Standing figure of Christ with halo, holding a cross right; LAVS TIBI SOLI (You alone be praised) (MB 9). Found Orton (PAS: SUR-061496).

• Like 6
  • Popcorn 1

Dang, @John Conduitt, I wish there could be some other stuff along with the popcorn.*  I'm owing you some serious gratitude for finally getting me to listen to some Arctic Monkeys, instead of just hearing about how good they were, for years on end.

*(Edit:)  Well, okay, beyond the imogee, there kind of is.

Edited by JeandAcre

...Segueing, for a short minute, to the chiller side of life.  Going back to @Roman Collector's George Benson track, and the brilliant (well, metaphorically, at least) orichalcum dupondius of Hadrian.

Best I can do for a coin is a long cross cut half of the very resonant mint of Carlisle, with ongoing, emphatic thanks to @TheRed.  I really need how this example has just enough of the reverse to identify both the mint and the moneyer, 'Ion.'

image.jpeg.c5d7763ee9f534fdebef7d01e64d601f.jpeg

Along with his notorious political incompetence (son of King John: Knock, Knock), Henry can be as well known (by way of dramatic contrast) for having been a devoted family man.  Here's a tune about someone's little daughter --Wiki isn't letting me find out whose.  --Can you just see her running around, that low to the ground?  ...Maybe on --that's over grass?  (Right, this is the early '70's.)  It's some stuff.

(Edit: Oops, the first YouTube video got pulled.  I like the tune enough to have wanted to hear it here.  Here's an alternate --suggesting who Martha's dad was-- which hopefully will work longer.)

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 5