I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

There's this, from @CPK via the Coin Cabinet.

image.jpeg.6eda11e66a4e90119c0c27476a3f8920.jpeg

Followed by this.  ...You Really Need the bass intro.  Sets off the whole track.  And just Look at the freaking Hats!  Can anyone say, early '70's nostalgia?  For the cultural milieu --Nope, Not the politics-- the concept Begins to make a grain of sense.  

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 8

Time for some surf music!

Hmmm ... what coin has been in my collection for a while? How about Victory on a surfboard?

TacitusVICTORIAGOTTHIantoninianus.jpg.16c57392f7c487b29ad4fbb4b965e340.jpg
Tacitus, AD 275-276.
Roman billon antoninianus, 3.57 gm, 21.1 mm.
Ticinum, AD 276.
Obv: IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: VICTORIA GOTTHI, Victoria standing left, holding wreath and palm; P in exergue.
Refs: RIC 172; Cohen 158; Sear 11821; Hunter 59; CBN 1676.

Edited by Roman Collector
  • Like 8

I saw a funny article recently - people go to Taylor Swift concerts, endure three hours of it and then... can't remember a thing!

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-65765368

Maybe that isn't a bad thing?

Anyway, I can vividly remember some gigs from decades ago - the Fatima Mansions gig in Sir Henry's in March '93, for which I left a wedding reception early (not my wedding!) - it was amazing, culminating in a 10-minute rendition of "Blues for Ceausescu" and an aggravation of an old ankle injury for me, but I didn't notice that until the following day.   As we filed out, mostly in worn-out silence, I overheard two guys in front of me: "What did you think of it?... Man, I'm refreshed, renewed" and that summed it up.   Thirty years on, it's still a benchmark and I doubt Ms Swift's efforts come close, but I'll admit I haven't been to any of her gigs.

Anyway, cleaning out my car recently, I located a Whipping Boy CD, which was especially nice as it's not on Spotify and is brilliant.

I posted a live version of this on CoinTalk for the 50th anniversary of the first manned Moon landing, as it was slightly relevant - this is the album version.

Here's a fairly recent arrival struck by C. Valerius Flaccus as proconsul in Gaul.   Cr 365/1a has a control symbol behind the head, /1b has a control letter and /1c has a symbol in front of Victory.

Gens: Valeria
Moneyer: C. Valerius Flaccus
Coin: Silver Denarius
- Bust of Victory, right, draped; behind, control-symbol (rudder)
C·V͡A͡L·FLA IMPERAT EX S·C - Legionary eagle; on left, standard of maniple of hastati; on right, standard of maniple of principes
Mint: Massalia (82 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.85g / - / -
References:
  • RSC 12b (Valeria)
  • Sydenham 747a
  • Crawford 365/1a
  • BMCRR Gaul 9
Acquisition: Jean Elsen Online auction Auction 154 #339 17-Mar-2023

Cr365_1a.jpg.cbc670a958daba7cca8284be56e4dc72.jpg

Rock on,
Aidan.

• Like 8

2JjiA8XbGt759HcQsWe6K3ed4nsBG5-Copy.jpg.243601a7fdf0d2f5e6b3ae49150ef945.jpg

TROAS, Birytis. Circa 4th Century BC. Æ 18mm 4.35gm.
Head of Kabiros left, wearing pileus; star on either side of pileus / B-IP-Y in two lines either side of club, all within laurel wreath. SNG Copenhagen 247; SNG von Aulock 1502; Seaby 4056. Green patina.

• Like 7
  • Laugh 1

• Benefactor

Great coin-tunes, my ol' friends

Here is a tune from one of my recent Canadian favourite bands

Hmmm, I'm not sure what ol' coin to post? ... umm, how 'bout this baby?

nymph.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 7
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

A Canadian pop masterpiece from the early 80s!

And here's the first coin I ever purchased of my girl Faustina the Younger! Purchased about 1990.

FaustinaJrCONCORDIAstandingrightdenarius1078.jpg.174c392b11cd6efa159c91817d06e7b3.jpg
Faustina Jr, AD 147-175.
Roman AR denarius, 2.97 g, 18.5 mm, 6 h.
Rome, end summer AD 151-June 152.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVG ANTONINI AVG PII FIL, bare-headed and draped bust, right (Beckmann Type 2 hairstyle).
Rev: CONCORDIA S C, Concordia, standing front, head right, drawing out drapery and holding cornucopiae.
Refs: RIC 500b(6); BMCRE 1078-79; Cohen 44; Strack 500; RCV 4703; CRE 163.
Note: RIC erroneously describes the obverse legend as reading FAVSTINAE AVG ANTONINI AVG PII FIL; this is corrected by BMCRE 4.

• Like 7
  • Laugh 1

I know its supposed to be a crayfish, but looks vaguely like a lobster on the reverse

gG45Xy6R4MWtwSb39nJMkEd7Lq8ie2.jpg.12a590cca91a85f650e571bffb9183d9.jpg

THRACE. Apollonia Pontika. Circa 450-400 BC. AR
Drachm (14mm, 3.16 gm). Upturned anchor;
crayfish to left; A to right / Gorgoneion facing with lolling tongue and head surrounded by serpents.
SNG BM Black Sea 153: SNG Berry 391

• Like 7
  • Cool Think 1

4091646_1683273589.jpg

Cilician Armenia.  Hetoum I (1226-1270).  AR Tram, commemorating his marriage into the royal family. 

Obv: Queen Zabel (Isabel /Elizabeth, daughter of Levon I) and Hetoum, holding a staff between them, surmounted by a cross, with a star below.  Armenian legend (adapting the Syriac alphabet, as the Aksumite and subsequent, contemporaneous Ethiopians had done).

Rev: Crowned lion to right, holding another cross.  Evoking the royal standard of Haile I Selassie (aka Haile Eye Selassie Eye.)  

File:Ethiopian imperial standard of Haile Selassie I (obverse).svg

Bedoukian 935 (yes, lifted from online citations).

Here's one very contemporaneous issue from western Europe, from the future Edward I as prince and duke of Aquitaine.  (1252-1272; Duplessy, Feodales 1037.)

image.jpeg.ae1001f99c7bb4754863022fd035addf.jpeg

Right, a tune.  Got this covered.  ...Is it only me, or is it likely that Burning Spear had read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe?  Thank you, for someone who presumably (like most theologically conservative Rastas) reads the Bible in the King James Version, I have to think it's likely.

• Like 9

YouTube my downfall again tonight - ended up trapped with the classic Shoegazers, My Bloody Valentine.   I used to work with the brother of the drummer about 25 years ago.   He makes music as well, but not really like this.

I never saw them live, they were very very loud...

Here's a denarius of Cassius - included here as I apparently modified the listing on Tantalus on 14th Feb. 2019.

Ruler: C. Cassius Longinus (Imperator)
Gens: Cassia
Coin: Silver Denarius
C. CASSI / IMP - Tripod surmounted by cortina and two laurel branches; fillet hanging on either side
LENTVLVS / SPINT - Capis and lituus
Mint: Smyrna (?) (Spring 42 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.73g / 18mm / 6h
References:
  • RSC 14 (Cassia)
  • Sydenham 1308
  • Crawford 500/1
  • HCRI 219
  • RBW 1761
Acquisition: CNG Online Auction ESale 436 #508 23-Jan-2019

spacer.pngspacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 7
  • Gasp 1

jS5QNGc2iP3L7nJKoPy8i4Zp9x6SD6.jpg.e705fc510f812e01c02977f30c66cf13.jpg

TRAJAN. Æ. Dupondius. 112-114 AD

Obverse: IMP. CAES. NERVAE TRAIANO AVG. GER. DAC. P.M. TR. P.COS. VI PP -Radiate and draped bust to the right.
Reverse: FORTVNAE REDVCI. Fortuna seated left, holding rudder and cornucopia; SC in exergue.

12.62g 27mm. Woytek 484v; Vienna MK 8496-8497. RIC II 629 var (bust type); Cohen 166 var (bust type); BMC 992 note; Sear 3217

• Like 7

Just the Two of Us

This recently acquired Follis of the Emperor Justin II and the Empress Sophie for some reason conjured up memories of the old song Just the Two of Us. I'm not sure if Sophie would completely agree with the song's sentiments, especially after what she experienced during Justin II's mental collapse. But the obverse of the coin seems to fit. The song once played quite a bit over the airwaves. I was shocked to discover that it dates to 1981. To provide more pop culture historical context, according to Wikipedia, the song once sat at #3 behind Sheena Easton's Morning Train and Kim Carnes's Bette Davis Eyes. That now seems almost as long ago as the fall of Constantinople.

569_to_570_JustinIIAndSophie_Follis_01.png.f563c8c0044a474bcda8db51f2dd191c.png569_to_570_JustinIIAndSophie_Follis_02.png.5c29339cae5bff8bbe8466cd4fa768df.png
Justin II & Sophie (Year 5, 569 - 570), Æ Follis, 31.4mm, 11.83g, Nicomedia, Obv: DN IVUSTINUS PP AVG Justin II and Sophie seated facing forward, each with nimbus, holding globus cruciger and cruciform scepter; Rev: ANNO U, large M surmounted by cross, with B below, NIKO in exergue, Sear 369

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 7

Christy Dignam, lead singer of Aslan, died today after a long illness.   Aslan are probably not widely known outside of Ireland, but they had at least two very good songs - This Is and Crazy World - and Christy was a great singer with a distinctive voice.

Given that Aslan is the lion in Narnia, I dug up a coin with a lion.

Ruler: Seleukos I
State, City: Babylon
Coin: Silver Stater
- Baal seated left, holding sceptre in right hand, left hand on throne
Γ - Lion advancing right
Mint: Babylon (ca. 312-305 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 16.26g / 22mm / -
References:
  • Nicolet-Pierre 7 (pg. 291)
Acquisition: Naville Numismatics Online Auction NN Live 46 #66 27-Jan-2019

spacer.pngspacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 6

image.jpeg.612e2b760126c69616a1bc439c1fe80c.jpeg

BOULOGNE, Comté, Renaud de Dammartin (1191-1227), billon denier parisis. D/ + RENAD'' COM'' Dans le champ, BOL/ONV en deux lignes. R/ + BOLVNENE Croix cantonnée de deux croissants. Boudeau 1935; Poey d'Avant 6629.

Yes, especially since Duplessy will likely not live long enough to cover Picardy and Flanders, I'm lifting the attribution from an auction listing from Jean Elsen.  All I did was to spell out the references that do exist, such as they are.  I have to admire both of them, for having been as methodologically solid as they are, as of the early 20th and mid-19th century, respectively.

And since we're already looking at a second line, I'm likely to need this.  Yes, the long-haired white guy is Dr. John.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 7

In high school and college, if you had asked me what my #1 favorite band was, I'd tell you The Cars!

And here's a random coin from early in my collecting days!

AntoniusFelix.jpg.e163315eb0d8fd884913c389c36d8213.jpg
Antonius Felix, Procurator under Claudius, 52-60 CE.
Judean Æ Prutah, 2.42 g, 17.2 mm.
Caesaria mint, 54 CE.
Obv: ΙΟΥΛΙΑ ΑΓΡΙΠΠΙΝΑ (Julia Agrippina, wife of Claudius) within a wreath tied at the bottom with an X.
Rev: ΤΙ ΚΛΑΥΔΙΟC ΚΑΙCΑΡ ΓΕΡΜ, two crossed palm fronds, LΙΔ (year 14) below.
Refs: Hendin 651; Meshorer TJC 342.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 1

image.jpeg.7e3684d77c112e1e8e6e3113e3697496.jpeg

Venice.  Grosso, Yep, holed.  Pietro Ziani, Doge 1205-1229. AR Grosso.  (More or less immediately following the sack of Constantinople by the so-called 4th Crusade, financed and implemented largely by, wait for it, Venice.)

Obv.  + • P • ZIANI/DVX up left, • S • M • VЄNЄTI down right, Doge and St. Mark standing facing, holding banner between them.

Rev. Christ enthroned facing, holding Gospels, raising hand in benediction; IC XC across field. 

Right, this issue, an early appearance of the denomination anywhere in western Europe, is clearly drawing from Byzantine precedent.  ...Except, just wait.  Here's a tram (cf. drachm; dirham) of Cilician Armenia (now part of southeastern Turke.y) from a late contemporary of Pietro Ziani.  (Yes, both of these are reposted.  In effect, shamelessly.  Oh ...drum-roll, please... Well.)

image.jpeg.194f9b34f6309012b3796c5aeda195dd.jpeg

Cilician Armenia.  Hetoum  I (1226-1270).  Tram, commemorating his marriage to Zabel (/Elizabeth).

Meanwhile, this is now my favorite reading of the Domine Fili Unigenite of Vivaldi (oops,  a Venetian)'s Gloria.  Well, at least from YouTube.   (Right,  especially in the absence of a working cd drive.)  From,  Oops, the Armenian national  chamber orchestra.  So you kind of get both sides.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 7