I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

More news from...

Smyrna, Ionia

75-50 BC
AE21 (21mm, 7.33g)
O: Laureate head of Apollo right, within laurel wreath.
R: Homer seated left, holding scroll and staff; ΣΜYΡΝΑΙΩΝ to right.
SNG Cop 1207; Mionnet 921; Weber 6138; SNG Tuebingen 3180; BMC 116; Sear 4571v 

Smyrna_AE.jpeg~2.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 5
  • Yes 2

image.jpeg.6f5d8fdaa348683433ca09aed3920319.jpeg

Henri /Hendrik I, Duke of Brabant 1190-1233.  Petit denier, c. 1211-1235.

Obv. Henri on horseback, in full chain mail, brandishing a sword (evoking contemporary seals; cf. this one: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Equestrian_seals?uselang=de#/media/File:Seal_-_Richard_I_of_England.jpg)  

undefined

Granted, Henri isn't wearing a surcoat over his coat of mail (more generally a later development), despite his being a decidedly late contemporary of Richard ...and what one could guess about the rainfall in the Low Countries, which was one main motivation behind surcoats. 

...Okay, so stay with me for a minute.  In the 12th and earlier 13th centuries, a coat of mail was about as state of the art as western European couture was capable of.  Verging on the equivalent of a space suit.  ...Which makes it time for some more They Might Be Giants.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, akeady said:

I'm not really a Hozier fan, but when he brings out a song and video inspired by a character created by my favourite writer, I have to give it a listen...

De Selby

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/the-fantastic-flann-o-brien-1.611390

Here's a recent acquisition I photographed today:

• Obv. legend: S P Q R IMP CAESARI AVG COS XI TRI POT VI
  • Obv. description: Head of Augustus, bare, right
  • Portrait: Augustus
  • Rev. legend: CIVIB ET SIGN MILIT A PART RECVP (or RECVPER)
  • Rev. description: Triumphal arch surmounted by quadriga, figures to the right and left
  • RIC 136/137

It was sold as RIC 137, but as I can't read all the reverse legend it could be RIC 136. (RIC 137 ends with RECVPER and 136 with RECVP).

Augustus_RIC_137_Obv.JPG.4c3d0dc25bb33d42cb34d7e3c6fc51ad.JPGAugustus_RIC_137_Rev.JPG.0e11780cc3bea444ab03d976d5900f3b.JPG

ATB,
Aidan.

Wow.  Wow.  Wow.  @akeady, I'd never heard of the artist known as Flann O'Brien, and could only get minimal traction with the allusions to Yeats and Joyce (neither of whom I read nearly enough of, as an undergrad) in the Irish Times article (bookmarked) that you linked to.  But, Dang, even from my richly aggregate level of ignorance, it's intuitively apparent that A Lot is going on here.  ...Thanks for pushing the envelope, at least relative to my own ongoing (we can hope) enlightenment.  Please, Carry On!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

Wow.  Wow.  Wow.  @akeady, I'd never heard of the artist known as Flann O'Brien, and could only get minimal traction with the allusions to Yeats and Joyce (neither of whom I read nearly enough of, as an undergrad) in the Irish Times article (bookmarked) that you linked to.  But, Dang, even from my richly aggregate level of ignorance, it's intuitively apparent that A Lot is going on here.  ...Thanks for pushing the envelope, at least relative to my own ongoing (we can hope) enlightenment.  Please, Carry On!

!

There are only two major novels in English by Flann - "At Swim-Two-Birds" and "The Third Policeman".   Most of the first print run of "At Swim" was destroyed when a warehouse in London burned down in an air raid in 1940 and "The Third Policeman" was rejected by his publisher as too fantastic and was only published after his death.   So, he wasn't very successful during his lifetime - after the rejection, he claimed to have left the manuscript of "The Third Policeman" on a tram, while it was actually in his study, and wrote his next novel in Irish - "An Béal Bocht" (The Poor Mouth) - this is a parody of a genre of Irish misery autobiographies.   He wrote no more novels for 20 years until "The Dalkey Archive", which copies parts of "The Third Policeman", and "The Hard Life", which isn't very good.

Most of O'Brien's output for the 25 years before his death was through his Irish Times newspaper column, published under the Myles ns gCopaleen pseudonym.   This was originally in Irish, then alternating between Irish and English and finally mostly in English, with occasional forays into French and German and passages of Latin and Greek for good measure.   Several volumes of the columns have been published in book form - some of them are silly stories ending with awful puns, others semi-serious or totally fantastic.   He would apparently write to the paper under various names complaining about the columns and then reply to himself under different names praising the original column.

As an example of a pun story (these always refer to Keats and Chapman and there's a whole book of these columns)...

When the poet Keats was a lad he was undecided as to his ultimate profession, and spent a few years as a potato factor.   One day a French noblewoman who was on holiday in the vicinity ordered a ton of Arran Banners.   When Keats was delivering the potatoes he was attacked by a ferocious pom, which the lady kept as a pet.   The poet presented the pom with the father and the mother of a fair-day kick, and carried on quietly with his work.
"When I make up my mind to deliver spuds," he remarked afterwards to Chapman, "I have no intention of letting a pomme de terre me."   Chapman took no notice.

O'Nolan may have been the author of several science fiction and detective novels under other names, but according to Wikipedia it's uncertain.   He tried plays and even a ballet for radio in two parts, none of which met with much success.

His daytime job was as a civil servant until he was eventually forced to retire on health grounds (alcoholism) but mostly for criticising a minister in a newspaper column.

I can't find it right now, but I have Anthony Cronin's biography of Flann O'Brien - "No Laughing Matter" - which, to take a quote in the article linked to below describes his life as "a relentless catalogue of frustration, bitterness and repression, accompanied of course by a slow descent into alcoholism".

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v35/n20/jonathan-coe/clutching-at-railings

Anyway, well worth a read!

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

...Wow, @akeady, you're flying far enough above my head for the sonic booms to be sounding loud and clear.  But I'm already needing the way this guy's fluency in English and Gaelic (linguistically, can you say, English and, what, Sanskrit?) contributed to his effortless transitions into other European languages ...while his contempt of English (or at least its prevailing usage) was undiminished.  I even like your example of his puns --if they don't make you groan, they're not good enough!

• Like 2

Here's another Flann-related song - in "At Swim-Two-Birds" a character, Jem Casey, writes "pomes" such as "The Workman's Friend".

When things go wrong and will not come right,
Though you do the best you can,
When life looks black as the hour of night -
A pint of plain is your only man.

When money's tight and hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt -

When health is bad and your heart feels strange,
And your face is pale and wan,
When doctors say you need a change,

When food is scarce and your larder bare
And no rashers grease your pan,
When hunger grows as your meals are rare -

In time of trouble and lousey strife,
You have still got a darlint plan
You still can turn to a brighter life -

-- Flann O'Brien (Brian O'Nolan)

Coincidentally, the actor in the previous De Selby video, Domhnall Gleeson, is the son of Brendan and brother of Fergus here.

A coin with Marsyas is suitable 😄

Gens: Marcia
Moneyer: L. Censorinus
Coin: Silver Denarius
- Laureate head of Apollo right
L. CENSOR - The satyr Marsyas, standing left with wine-skin on shoulder; behind him, column surmounted by draped figure (Minerva?)
Mint: Rome (82 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.90g / 17mm / 6h
References:
  • RSC 24 (Marcia)
  • Sydenham 737
  • Crawford 363/1d
Acquisition: Artemide Aste Online Auction Asta 24.2E #1393 (part) 20-Oct-2013

spacer.png

@JeandAcre - O'Nolan's language ability probably stemmed from his growing up in an Irish-speaking household and being home-schooled until he was 12.   Then he went to Synge Street and later the rather posh Blackrock College, where he would have studied Latin and Greek.   He studied English, Irish and German in UCD.   He claimed to have studied in Germany in 1933 and 1934, but according to Cronin (I found the biography), his German was mediocre and he was no polyglot.   There's no record of the travelling studentship he claimed to have or his having studied in Cologne at all.   He may have spent two or three weeks in Germany on holiday in 1934 - probably the only time he left Ireland - and exaggerated the trip later.   Time Magazine of 23rd August 1943 had an article about him - "Eire's Columnist" - where it says during his time in Germany he "met and married 18-year-old Clara Ungerland, blonde, violin-playing daughter of a Cologne basketweaver.   She died a month later.   O'Nolan returned to Éire and never mentions her."   This was a surprise to his friends and family 😄

Ah - here's another song - the main character in Sing Street, the 2016 movie, makes the opposite education move to O'Nolan, going from a posh school to Synge Street when his family can't afford to send him to the private school.

ATB,
Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 3
  • Popcorn 1

@akeady, after starting with another 'applause' imogee (from me, they're getting a little redundant), I needed a 'popcorn' one.  Apt enough on a metaphorical level, since I'm nowhere near digesting all of this.  ...Is there more Irish on my mom's side than anyone cared to acknowledge?  No idea, one way or the other.  What else could I blame?  ...Are rhetorical questions a distinctly Irish trope, or am I making that up?  ...At 3:58 AM Pacific time, do I need to go back to bed?  Nope, the questions are getting less rhetorical as they go along.

pM9Ga3PtcD2ZbDx8J42ozRM75wgC5L-Copy.jpg.682de9732f1882e1dd977427dd05d683.jpg

Faustina Sr AR Denarius, RIC 361, RSC 101a, BMC 417, SEAR 4583. DIVA FAVSTINA, with elaborate hairstyle and draped bust right / AVGV-STA, Ceres standing left, long hair tied behind, raising right hand & holding long torch with left.
Rome mint, A.D. 141.  3,0 g - 15 mm
Annia Galeria Faustina the Elder, sometimes referred to as Faustina I or Faustina Major, was a Roman empress and wife of the Roman emperor Antoninus Pius. The emperor Marcus Aurelius was her nephew and later became her adopted son, along with Emperor Lucius Verus.

• Like 6

M. Sergius Silus

116-115 BC
AR Denarius (17mm, 3.76g)
O: Helmeted head of Roma right; ROMA and * behind, EX.S.C before.
R: Horseman galloping left, holding sword and severed head of Barbarian; Q in field, M SERGI below, SILVS in ex.
Crawford 286-1; Sydenham 534; RSC Sergia 1; BMC Italy 517

~ Peter 

_1Sergius200.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 6
  • Smile 1

dJy7N6TwgZp3N8fHZeW5L9m9fpE42G-Copy.jpg.2c0dae2afd0a3b98a764b7705d66dfa4.jpg

Herrenia Etruscilla, wife of Trajan Decius. 249-251 AD.
AR Antoninianus
Obverse: HER ETRVSCILLA AVG. Diademed and draped bust right on crescent.
Reverse: PVDICITIA AVG. Pudicitia seated left holding sceptre and drawing veil from her face. Slightly weak reverse die strike.
RIC IV 59b. Hunter 5; RSC 19
 Rome mint, A.D. 250.  3,8 g – 20,5 mm

• Like 4

Good times -- saeculi felicitas!

CarinusSAECVLIFELICITASAntoninianusLyons.jpg.2446f6090b5a1c684ddba254ab0bbf07.jpg
Carinus, 283-285 CE.
Roman billon Antoninianus; 3.80 g, 21.1 mm, 12 h.
Lugdunum, 283 CE.
Obv: IMP C M AVR CARINVS AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: SAECVLI FELICITAS, emperor in military attire, standing right, holding transverse spear and globe, officina mark D (=4) in right field.
Refs: RIC 214; Cohen 120; RCV 12354; Hunter 37; Pink, p. 22, series 4.

• Like 5

Requiem in pace, Mr. Buffett. May you enjoy that cheeseburger in paradise.

Vespasiantwocapricornsposthumousdenariusa.jpg.6078b977be0e9a3cf2508b020ef7b17b.jpg
Divus Vespasian, d. AD 79
Roman AR denarius, 2.89 g, 17.8 mm, 6 h.
Rome, AD 80.
Obv: DIVVS AVGVSTVS VESPASIANVS, head of deified Vespasian, laureate, right.
Rev: Two capricorns, back-to-back, supporting shield inscribed S C; below, globe.
Refs: RIC 2.1, 357; BMCRE 129-131; Cohen 497; RCV 2569; CBN 101.

• Like 7

6rZNFAi9Zy3BsbB4k7tSQH5axoX2C8.jpg.bb6213021c662312567d68fc1a65fed8.jpg

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor of the Julio-Claudian Dyansty 54-68 AD AE As, Lugdunum mint. 66 AD. IMP NERO CAESAR AVG P MAX TR P PP, bare head right, globe at point of bust / S-C to left and right of Victory flying left, holding shield inscribed SPQR. RIC 543; BMC 381; WCN 593; Cohen 302
28.5mm, 10.01gr

• Like 7

Cales, Campania

265-240 BC
AE 22 (22mm, 6.32g)
O: Head of Athean left, wearing crested Corinthian helmet, all within dotted border.
R: Cock standing right, star behind; CALENΩ downward to right, all within dotted border.
Sambon 916; HN Italy 435; SNG ANS 188; SNG Cop 322; Sear 548

Cales.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

20230822_171824__3_-removebg-preview-side.png.40dc8c5b7b6a09db6336a18d1a631a22.png

Probus, 276-282 AD. AR Antoninianus (4.98 gm; 23 mm). Lugdunum mint.
IMP C PROBVS .  P . F . AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right.
PAX AVG, Pax standing left with branch in upraised hand and raising hem of skirt while holding sceptre; Officina D in left field.
RIC 119(D.RC)
Aug 1st, 2023, (Pars Coins) VAuctions, esale #7, Lot # 120

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

8 hours ago, Phil Anthos said:

Cales, Campania

265-240 BC
AE 22 (22mm, 6.32g)
O: Head of Athean left, wearing crested Corinthian helmet, all within dotted border.
R: Cock standing right, star behind; CALENΩ downward to right, all within dotted border.
Sambon 916; HN Italy 435; SNG ANS 188; SNG Cop 322; Sear 548

Cales.jpg

...Is it Even Legal to say that this is only better than the Talking Heads version?!!!?!!???  I'm Needing to Wiki this band 

(Edit:) And I Need it that that the 'rage' on the lower screen was lifted from a video that I know from YouTube, of the Pistols doing "God Save the Queen."

Edited by JeandAcre

6 hours ago, expat said:

20230822_171824__3_-removebg-preview-side.png.40dc8c5b7b6a09db6336a18d1a631a22.png

Probus, 276-282 AD. AR Antoninianus (4.98 gm; 23 mm). Lugdunum mint.
IMP C PROBVS .  P . F . AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right.
PAX AVG, Pax standing left with branch in upraised hand and raising hem of skirt while holding sceptre; Officina D in left field.
RIC 119(D.RC)
Aug 1st, 2023, (Pars Coins) VAuctions, esale #7, Lot # 120

After too many years, I needed to hear this twice.  "And the Telly Tubbies say, 'Again again.'"  I'm going to find it on YouTube, and bookmark it.  Thank you.

Edited by JeandAcre
"yaears."
  • Like 1

oGt8Jc7csB33sa5WM4QiZr9HnPH26X-Copy.jpg.8eee444fc79681bd57e0bdc129310f0b.jpg

Philip II, AR antoninianus. 22.4 mm, 4.91 g.(Thick flan), Rome mint, 249AD.
IMP PHILIPPVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. / LIBERALITAS AVGG III, Philip I, holding short sceptre, and Philip II seated left on curule chairs, extending right hands. RIC 230; RSC 17, Sear 9265.
Appears to be reverse die match to example held by American Numismatic Society

• Like 4

Thasos, Thrace

after 148 BC
AR Tetradrachm (33mm, 16.86g)
O: Head of young Dionysus right, wreathed in ivy and flowers.
R: Herakles standing nude left, holding club and lion's skin; ΣΩTHPOΣ left, HPAKΛOYΣ right, ΘAΣIΩN in ex.
SNG Cop 1040; Sear 1759

~ Peter 

Thasos_tet.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 6