I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

2 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

@expat, for whatever it's worth, I always thought that linking the music with the coin was kind of discretionary.  Whenever I manage that, it just makes it a good day.  Otherwise, no worries!  Please don't let that slow you down for a minute.

It is just something I like to do to test myself on. Get the old grey matter active, but you are correct, it is not mandatory but fun and this is a great thread.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

9 hours ago, expat said:

It is just something I like to do to test myself on. Get the old grey matter active, but you are correct, it is not mandatory but fun and this is a great thread.

Sometimes I only post here because a coin brings a song into my head.

Constans (or Constantine II/Constantius II) Contemporary Imitation AE12, 335-337
image.png.d0c2877169007317f9b6d6e919ec44be.png
Imitation of Lugdunum. Bronze, 12mm, 0.93g. Laureate or laurel and diademed, cuirassed bust right; CONSTAN(…). Two soldiers standing facing, heads towards each other, each holding inverted spear and resting hand on shield, standard between; (GLORIA EXERCITVS); PLG in exergue (Coin Hoards from Roman Britain, vol. X 699 (this coin)). From the Chapmanslade (Wiltshire) Hoard 1993.

• Like 7
  • Cookie 1
  • Clap 1

This mashup is 50 shades of awesome!!

And here's a mashup of an obverse from Deultum and a reverse of Marcianopolis!!

MamaeaDeultum-Marcianopolishybrid.jpg.a042f0e07c3e7ee2a54439a3b80204c7.jpg
Julia Mamaea, AD 222-235.
Roman Provincial Æ tetrassarion, 22.4 mm, 8.92 g, 1 h.
Hybrid of coins of Deultum and Marcianopolis, AD 227-228/229.
Obv: IVLIA MA-MAEA AVG; draped bust, right, wearing stephane.
Rev: VΠ TIB IOVΛ ΦHCTȢ MAPKIANOΠOΛITΩN, eagle standing facing, head left, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak.
Refs: Unpublished; see Varbanov II, 2333 (Mamaea) and AMNG I-1, 1018-21 (Severus Alexander).

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Alegandron said:

This one is just a fun listen.  Earwig and all...

image.jpeg.ecbaba9c61f5d0cf9d16a3352f03a926.jpeg

Celtic AE Ring 800-500 BCE

Rocky Burnette! I don't think I've heard that one in more than 40 years! It was big the first year of M-TV.

26 minutes ago, Ryro said:

A fun, upbeat jam. Zero lyrics. But an undescirabable build up and release if joy and pure enthusiasm=70s+cocaine, to celebrate my new Tet

4225822_1686584096.l.jpg.e35c5f1ec2bc3dbe87236958eef6ee89.jpg

That is one fine tet!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

48 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

@Alegandron, I never heard of these people, and this is blowing my head off.  Just starting with, thank you, multiple electric guitars and, expletive of choice, trombone.  Stay your bad @Alegandron self.

LOL, it was the trombonist I was laughing about. I know I have lowbrow taste in music… I gravitate to fun tunes. I remember as a wee lad, sitting in a bath with the “Dance of the Baby Elephant” on the radio!  Early influence of music in my life…

However, I do enjoy Classical, New Wave, music from many cultures around the world, etc etc. As long as I like it, then it is fun music to me! 🙂

I think you and I should start a Celtic Carnyx band!

Edited by Alegandron
  • Like 3
  • Mind blown 1

41 minutes ago, Ryro said:

A fun, upbeat jam. Zero lyrics. But an undescirabable build up and release if joy and pure enthusiasm=70s+cocaine, to celebrate my new Tet

4225822_1686584096.l.jpg.e35c5f1ec2bc3dbe87236958eef6ee89.jpg

Oh, man!  High School Days! Raisin' Hell and Wreakin' Havoc... big fun, great mems from that tune!  Thanks @Ryro

• Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

On 6/19/2023 at 11:04 PM, Roman Collector said:

This mashup is 50 shades of awesome!!

And here's a mashup of an obverse from Deultum and a reverse of Marcianopolis!!

MamaeaDeultum-Marcianopolishybrid.jpg.a042f0e07c3e7ee2a54439a3b80204c7.jpg
Julia Mamaea, AD 222-235.
Roman Provincial Æ tetrassarion, 22.4 mm, 8.92 g, 1 h.
Hybrid of coins of Deultum and Marcianopolis, AD 227-228/229.
Obv: IVLIA MA-MAEA AVG; draped bust, right, wearing stephane.
Rev: VΠ TIB IOVΛ ΦHCTȢ MAPKIANOΠOΛITΩN, eagle standing facing, head left, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak.
Refs: Unpublished; see Varbanov II, 2333 (Mamaea) and AMNG I-1, 1018-21 (Severus Alexander).

LOL, never have seen this!  Really a goofy mashup!

• Smile 1
  • Laugh 1

...Oh, No, starting, I guess, with @Ryro's last post, with the Allman Brothers, all of this has been overwhelmingly good.  

At one point, I thought I"d be contributing something else from Eat a Peach (thanks, @Ryro.)  Except, now, I guess not. 

@Alegandron, I Really Need All of your last posts.  (Expletive of choice:) I Really Need that bagpipe rendition of Leonard Cohen.  That was some serious (thank you, you could pick another one --creativity is encouraged).  Mindblowing. 

Along with all the rest of this surreally great music.  ...Is this (quoting you) 'lowbrow'?  Next time people lie to you that way, just don't give them another minute of your time.  Granted, I expect that you didn't the first time.  

...Right, I'm part Celtic, also mostly by way of Scots, and if I wasn't, you have my word and bond that I'd miss it.  Just, more generally, it's terrific fun to see you on this thread.

Here's my obole of Alfonso /Alphonse II as count of Provence, likely immobilized into the mid-13th century.

image.jpeg.396adff361570c36a13064fce9890cc0.jpeg

And here's some more vintage James Blood Ulmer.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hey, I saw this movie when it came out... at a drive-in with my parents... semi-wee lad at that time...

This one I always PUMP UP THE VOLUME !!!

Funny how the "Spaghetti Western" (yeah, I know cuz of Sergio Leone), were all shot in Spain!  Better that it have been called a "Paella Western" ???

image.jpeg.1ad83eb8aca9929f7c9aa65aaa73c514.jpeg

OSCA Spain AR silver denarius 204-154 BC. Head r beard -N behind - Horseman spear, Iberian PMAN BOLSCAN Burgos 1501 Villaronga 3 - CLINT EASTWOOD IN THE SADDLE... and the bust of Tuco (Eli Wallach) on obverse.

Edited by Alegandron
  • Like 8
  • Cookie 2

Thanks, @Alegandron, not least for your timing in posting this!  I was stuck streaming 'Marketplace' on NPR, and have to appreciate anything that can lower my intake of news.  This was one of the relatively few movies that I had to break down and get the video of.  ...Or saw in the theater.  Just, Too Good.  A lot of fantastic music (now I'm wanting to hear some Sam and Dave) and, Right, it's That funny!

Your Hunnic bull and horseman is cool, too.  It surprised me that imitations, even of Huns in the general neighborhood (had to Wiki them), would have so much figurative detail.  Granted, I'm more familiar with the much later, stylized examples,

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 2