I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

I first heard of Rodrigo y Gabriela from some Spanish friends in the early 2000s - someone had heard them playing in a pub in Rathmines (I think) and we went to see them a few times.   They're Mexican and moved to Europe to pursue music and ended up in Dublin where their careers really took off.   The last time I saw them was as a support for the Stone Roses quite a while ago, but they're still going strong and I see they'll play in Dublin again in October.

Anyway, here they are in Grafton St., long after they'd "made it".

Here's a coin from Mexico City with some interesting chopmarks.

Coin: 1796 FM 8 Reales
CAROLUS IIII DEI GRATIA 1796 - Laureate, draped cuirassed bust right
HISPAN ET IND REX M 8R F M - Crowned arms between pillars
Shape: Round.
Mint: Mexico City
Wt./Size/Axis: 26.50g / - / 0h
Acquisition: Ibercoin Online #2154 29-Nov-2011

spacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 6
  • Mind blown 1

Here's an old coin, the third (I think) I acquired for my collection more than 35 years ago. I purchased it at a brick and mortar coin and stamp store, back when there were such stores.

[IMG]
Gallienus, AD 253-268.
Roman Billon Antoninianus, 4.40 g; 23.5 mm.
Samosata, AD 255-256.
Obv: IMP C P LIC GALLIENVS AVG, radiate and draped bust, right.
Rev: RESTITVT ORIENTIS, Tyche, left, presenting wreath to emperor, right, who holds spear in left.
Refs: RIC 448; RSC 902; Cohen 902; RCV 10341; Hunter p. xlvii; Göbl 1677m.

Here's an old tune to go with it, perfect for a "major dude" like Gallienus!

• Like 8
  • Clap 1

germe_1.jpg.c886e3dbd93a323f9e7d819fb18ac38f.jpg

Mysia, Germe. Tyche/Athena Æ22

Obv: ΙƐΡΑ ΓƐΡΜΗ / turreted and draped bust of the Tyche, r.
Rev: ΓƐΡΜΗΝΩΝ / Athena standing, l., holding patera over lighted altar, resting arm on shield; beside, upright spear.
RPC IV.2, 657 (temporary)

Here is a new release from one of my favorite bands.

• Like 6

This thread needs some Chilliwack!

And a coin that's been in my collection for decades.

Claudius and Agrippina II Bosporus.jpg
Claudius, AD 41-54 and Agrippina II, AD 50-59.
Roman provincial Æ 12 Nummia, 9.30 gm, 25.0 mm.
Bosporos, under King Kotys I, AD 50-54.
Obv: ΤΙ ΚΛΑΥΔΙΟΥ ΚΑΙCΑΡΟC, laureate head of Claudius, right.
Rev: ΙΟΥΛΙΑΝ ΑΓΡΙΠΠΙΝΑΝ CΕΒΑCΤΗΝ, head of Agrippina II, left, in loop ponytail; BAK before.
Refs: SGI 5438; RPC 1925; BMC 13.52,7; Anokhin Bosporus 348; SNG Copenhagen 31.

• Like 8

How about some Love Unlimited Orchestra?

And here's an old coin, one of the first Julia Domna coins I acquired for my collection.

[IMG]
Julia Domna, AD 193-217
Roman orichalcum dupondius; 10.61 gm, 24.2 mm
Rome, issue 6, AD 195
Obv: IVLIA DOMNA AVG, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: FECVNDITAS, Fecunditas enthroned right, nursing one child, second child stands before her.
Refs: RIC 844; BMCRE 494; Cohen 43; Hill 126; RCV 6639
Notes: Ex Ars Classica VIII, 1924, Bement Collection, lot 1184. Die-match to BMCRE-494, pl. 21.4.

• Like 9
  • Smile 1

I picked up this snack to help in shipping with yesterday's amazing win... that one person had commented on. But it's pretty dope too if you know your mythology, Pegasus is one of Medusa's two children that sprang from her neck when her head was severed. I was gonna do a write up, but one response to my last post gives me a real, fuck it, kind of mood:

3776266_1676046367.l-removebg-preview.png.ff7a6834e0cd2a75be817fee4931f58c.png

Alexander I Balas, 152-145 BC. Ae (bronze, 2.13 g, 13 mm), Antioch. Aegis with gorgoneion. Rev. BAΣIΛEΩΣ - AΛEΞANΔPOY Pegasos leaping right. SC 1792. Nearly very fine.

Don't look too close or you might end up...

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 7
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1

Man, you gotta LOVE a leaping Pegasus!! And the gorgoneion is just the icing on the cake. Nice snack, @Ryro! Don't get too disappointed about the lack of interest in your latest acquisition. ANY MAJOR DUDE with half a heart surely will tell you, my friend, any minor world that breaks apart falls together again. Any major dude will tell you that other people's opinions shouldn't damper your enthusiasm for whatever kind of coins float your boat!

And here's a Pegasus on an old coin in my collection from way back. Pegasi will always cheer you up, my friend.

[IMG]
Caligula, AD 37-41.
Roman provincial Æ 20 mm, 6.74 g.
Peloponnese, Corinthia, Corinth, Ae. P. Vipsanius Agrippa and M. Bellius Proculus, duoviri, AD 37-38.
Obv: C CAESAR AVGVSTV, bare head right.
Rev: M BELLIO PROCVLO IIVIR / COR, Pegasus flying right.
Refs: RPC I 1173; Amandry (1988) XVII; BCD Corinth 405-6.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1

The best Anything I ever got from one of the last, resonantly competent heroic Byzantine emperors  ...Thank you, witness the resonance with all of those Illyrian emperors of the later 3rd c. CE --who, if things weren't already going to Hell in a handbasket, could have turned things around on a strategicic scale. 

ALEXIUS I COMNENUS (1081-1118). AR Histamenon Nomisma. Thessalonica.

2168601_1631277437.jpg

Obv: + KЄ RO AΛЄZ / IC - XC.
Facing bust of Christ Pantokrator.
Rev: St. Demetrius standing right, holding sword and presenting patriarchal cross set upon globus on two steps to Alexius standing facing.  Sear 1905.

...Right, some of us think that the soundtrack to 'Superfly' was as much better than the one for 'Shaft' (...grammatically, I'm still waiting to catch up with myself) as 'Shaft' was better as a movie.  Not to be sanctimonious about it, I grew up with this on vinyl.

Edited by JeandAcre
Grammar ...or the Post-Modern American equivalent.
  • Like 8
  • Clap 1

Nope, @Roman Collector, something else --more or less Anything-- Has to have some more Steely Dan.  

My big brother had all of their shit on vinyl.  But I need to think that this album was one of their best, despite its having been Top 20.  ...Or, for that matter, maybe, not.  The ostensible common thread is hyperprivilege.

image.jpeg.1f42011cbcaa7581a48879559ba45c7b.jpeg

image.jpeg.37319bd34fe2931dfc77e3bd5e8040b6.jpeg

Then there's this.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

Nope, @Roman Collector, something else --more or less Anything-- Has to have some more Steely Dan.  

My big brother had all of their shit on vinyl.  But I need to think that this album was one of their best, despite its having been Top 20.  ...Or, for that matter, maybe, not.  The ostensible common thread is hyperprivilege.

image.jpeg.1f42011cbcaa7581a48879559ba45c7b.jpeg

image.jpeg.37319bd34fe2931dfc77e3bd5e8040b6.jpeg

Then there's this.

Aja is the best album of all time. It takes all my self-control not to post one Steely Dan song after another!

• Yes 1

('Aja is the best album of all time. It takes all my self-control not to post one Steely Dan song after another!')

Just, No, @Roman Collector, for that decade, in This Great Land of Ours, your assessment gets some serious traction.

...Except, now I'm wanting to post something with a live, New Orleans second line.  That's likely to be another long minute; don't hold your breath.

Edited by JeandAcre

Here's a thicc chick I won recently:

anonymous-rome-225-217-bc-cast-8985987-removebg-preview.png.3de49d9830d6ce76b72b7db18b0908d0.png

Anonymous, Rome, 225-217 BC. Cast Æ Triens (45mm, 83.82g). Helmeted head of Minerva or Mars l. on a raised disk. R/ Prow of galley r. on a raised disk. Crawford 35/3a; Vecchi, ICC, 78; HNItaly 339; RBW 87. Green patina, Fine.

a perfect Segway to...

• Like 8
  • Clap 2

Here's another boat, this time a denar of Heinrich III, my favorite of the Salian emperors --for coins, anyway-- from Speyer.  He kind of looks p-ssed off; maybe at the strike and the peck marks?

image.jpeg.d4e499335e2cc5ed04abad0c1ab6dd34.jpeg

image.jpeg.be785b6e4e319d81da190d8e49e90a83.jpeg

...And the (much) later version of this, within a year of the Commodores.

• Like 8
  • Clap 1

As empress, Julia Domna was famous for her political, social, and philosophical influence. As the emperor's wife, she received the titles of Augusta (AD 193) and "mother of the army camps" (AD 195). Domna gathered about her in Rome a group of philosophers and other intellectuals whose activities are known through the writings of Philostratus.

Domna MATRI CASTRORVM Denarius.jpg
Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
Roman AR denarius, 3.13 g, 16.0 mm, 7 h.
Rome, AD 198.
Obv: IVLIA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: MATRI CASTRORVM, Julia Domna standing left, sacrificing over lighted altar from patera held in right hand and holding box of incense in left hand; to left, two standards.
Refs: RIC 567; BMCRE 57; Cohen/RSC 134; RCV 6596; Hill 370.

How about something smooth and sexy to listen to while "watching winter turn to spring"?

Edited by Roman Collector
Grievous crimes against the comma.
  • Like 6
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Not only does Julia Domna give off "hot mama" vibes, she was also an intellectual who spent much of her free time talking with philosophers and poets. 

Definitely would have enjoyed spending time with this mother. 

Also, here's Venus flashing us😘

3790459_1676405512.l-removebg-preview.png.9ef2e57d497c86b1b976849879226aed.png

• Like 6
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1

Here's some Post Rock with 3epkano - part of the soundtrack to a showing of Nosferatu.   3epkano were best-known for playing live to silent movies - Nosferatu, Metropolis, Der Golem, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.   I saw them playing Caligari in Christchurch Cathedral (Dublin, not NZ!) maybe 7-8 years ago at Halloween and they were super.

More of 3erkano's other work on Vimeo - I posted Der Golem on CoinTalk before.

https://vimeo.com/user8812329

Some of the group are now known as Unshaped Form and have an album which can be streamed online (or indeed purchased) - https://www.unshapedform.com/

Here's a €10 coin issued in 2020 (actually, I think its release was delayed until well into 2021 due to Covid) with Christchurch Cathedral:

spacer.pngspacer.png

As Nosferatu is based on Dracula, I might as well throw in the Bram Stoker/Dracula €15 coin too.

spacer.pngspacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

DomnaTomisNiketriassarion.jpg.4d256055c7dfcdd7978f5cb7fd17ac42.jpg
Julia Domna AD 193-217.
Roman provincial AE triassarion, 8.75 gm, 24.4 mm, 6 h.
Moesia Inferior, Tomis, AD 193-211.
Obv: ΙΟVΛΙΑ ΔΟΜΝΑ CE, bare-headed and draped bust, r.
Rev: ΜΗΤ ΠΟΝ ΤΟΜΕΩC, Nike advancing l., holding wreath and palm, retrograde Γ (=3) to left.
Refs: Varbanov 4857; AMNG 2811.

• Like 7
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

CARIA, Idyma. AR Hemiobol

5th century BC

Diameter: 8 mm

Weight: 0.44 grams

Obverse: Land tortoise with segmented shell

Reverse: Leaf, pellet

Reference: SNG Ashmolean 228; SNG Kayhan 1627 = CNG 72, lot 803; Klein 522

Other: 11h … toned, slightly granular, reverse off center … super cool and pretty rare (a total winna-winna)

Caria Idyma Tortoise.jpg

... oh, and I might as well toss-in a photo of my dog (Hector) ... 

image.png.537121768d1db8ae9fd48b3d519c7ae5.png

... Cheers, coiners!!

Hi

Edited by Steve
  • Like 7
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1