Nice, Ancient One ... man, that's a classic, great Van Morrison tune  

Ummm, here is another classic tune from the next decade ... 1983

Ionia, Teos AR Drachm

Hagnon, magistrate

375 B.C.

Diameter: 16 mm

Weight: 3.4 grams

Obverse: Griffin seated right, raising forepaw

Reverse: Quadripartite incuse square with granulated quarters and thick crossbars; ZHIΩN on horizontal crossbar, AΓ-NΩN on vertical crossbar

Reference: Kinns 11; SNG Copenhagen 1443

Other: 6h, sweetly toned

Ex-stevex6

Ionia Teos Gryphon.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 6

• Benefactor

uh-oh ... here I go again ... * burp *

=> here is another cool tune from the 80's 

Fausta. Augusta, AE Follis

Trier mint
Date: 326 AD
Diameter: 18.63 mm
Weight: 2.71 grams
Obverse: FLAV MAX FAVSTA AVG - Draped bust of Fausta right, wearing pearl necklace
Reverse: SPES REIPVBLICAE - Fausta standing facing, holding two infants. PTR [Dot in crescent] in exergue

Reference: RIC 484

Ex-stevex6

Fausta Augusta Pierre.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 7

• Benefactor

.... ahhhhh, the 70's ... 

=> here's a one-hit-wonder ... anybody remember it? (my sister played this song about 50 times per day for that summer!!)

M. Plaetorius M.f. Cestianus AR Denarius

Rome mint

67 BC

Diameter: 18 mm

Weight: 3.77 grams

Obverse: Helmeted and draped bust right of Vacuna, with attributes of Isis, Minerva, Apollo, Diana, and Victory; cornucopia below chin; bow and quiver on shoulder

Reverse: Eagle perched right, head left, on thunderbolt

Reference: Crawford 409/1; Sydenham 809; Plaetoria 4

Other: 5h … beautifully toned

Ex-stevex6

M Plaetorius Mf Cestianus.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 8

I'm celebrating Zepp-tember!

[IMG]
Severus Alexander, AD 222-235.
Roman Provincial AE 25.0 mm, 10.37 g.
Cappadocia, Caesarea, AD 222/3.
Obv: ΑV Κ Μ ΑVΡ ϹЄΟΥ ΑΛЄΞΑΝΔΡ, laureate head, right; uncertain c/m behind.
Rev: ΜΗΤΡΟΠ ΚΑΙϹΑΡΙ, agalma of Mount Argaeus surmounted by star, atop altar inscribed ЄTA (= year 1).
Refs: RPC VI 6735; Sydenham 537-38; BMC 298; SNG von Aulock 6510.

• Like 7
  • Cool Think 1

1.377.233.691 views on youtube

4 Non Blondes - What's Up

and an old coin. 

Nike, what's up, why are you running so fast?

normal_Apamea_01.jpg.3172ded0c86dd81f8d0c33e56d60b738.jpg

Syria, Seleukis and Pieria
Apameia
Part of the Roman Empire after 64 BC.
Coin dated ςOΣ, year 276 = 39/38 BC
Obv.: Helmeted bust of Athena r.
Rev.: AΠAMEΩN THΣIEPAΣ KAI AYTONOMOY, Nike advancing r. with wreath, AN in ex
AE, 7.17g, 20.9mm
Ref.: RPC I 4338

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 6

This was nearly Tindersticks, but I ended up in Death In Vegas, with Emmanuelle Seigner.

Here's a coin I've had for years, but finally photographed - no great treasure, but I don't have another example and have no record or recollection of where I got it, so it's something of a mystery 🙂

Gens:             Junia
Moneyer: C. Junius C.f.
Coin: Bronze As
I - Laureate head of Janus; mark of value above
C·IVNI / I / ROMA - Prow of galley right
Mint: Rome (149 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 22.07g / 31mm / 7h
References:
  • Sydenham 393
  • Crawford 210/2

spacer.png

spacer.png

ATB,

Aidan.

• Like 6

As we celebrate Zepp-tember ...

... here's a coin I don't think I've posted here before.

Severus Odessus AE MB.jpg
Septimius Severus, AD 193-211.
Roman provincial Æ tetrassarion, 26.5 mm, 10.12 g, 1 h.
Thrace, Odessos.
Obv: AV K Λ CЄΠ CЄVHPOC, laureate head right.
Rev: OΔHCCЄITΩN, great god wearing himation, standing facing, head left, sacrificing with patera over altar to left and holding cornucopiae.
Refs: Moushmov 1596; Mionnet suppl. 2, 902 var. (bust type); Varbanov 4348-9 var. (bust type); AMNG I-2, 2262 var. (bust type); SNG Cop 672 var. (bust type).

• Like 7

Azzuro - A classic song for Italy vacation, and a unique choreography of the dancers in the background

E una nave sul mare azzurro

normal_Nero_R830_Alexandria.jpg.37da80c739bea631f8b764c536278e0b.jpg

Alexandria
Billon-Tetradrachm
Dated RY 13 (66/7)
Obv.: NEPΩ KΛAV KAIΣ ΣEB ΓEP AV / L IΓ, Radiate bust left
Rev.: ΣEBAΣTOΦOPOΣ, Ship sailing right.
Billon, 12.07g, 24mm
Ref.: RPC I 5296

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 5
  • Smile 1
  • Smile 1

I'm liking that interpretation of 'Fortunate One' better than the original.  ...Hope no one throws anything too ripe!

Hoping this Henry III Long Cross hasn't been posted lately. 

http://www.vcoins.com/ancient/lodgeantiquities/store/catalog/3595LG.jpg

AR penny of London, long cross type, Class IIa, 1248.  Ex Brussels Hoard.

Obv.  Henry facing, crowned.  

[With ellisions of the letter ‘R’:] *hEN2ICVS REX TE2CI’  (“HENRICVS REX TERCI[VS];” King Henry the Third).

Rev.  Voided long cross, three pellets in each angle.

[From 1 o’clock:]  HIC [/] OLE [/] ON L [/] VND (“NICOLE ON LVND[E];” [the moneyer] Nicole of London).

North 985/1 (and p. 228 for mint and moneyer); Spink (2009) 1361 (and p. 146 for mint and moneyer); Stewartby pp. 80-82.  Attr. to the Brussels Hoard by the seller.

And we've been needing some old-timey dub here for more than a minute.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 6

Thank you for that, @robinjojo.  It's worth remembering, for one instance, that she very literally inherited the British Empire, as a teenager, and was hardly personally responsible for its actions, however abominable, over the course of the preceding centuries.  I very much prefer to think that her primary aspiration, all along, was to be a resonantly decent human being, within the sometimes toxically restrictive confines of the context which she was given, both at birth and at her accession.  ...But I also think I know where she is, right now. 

A petit denier of Feri I, Duke of Lorraine c. 1250-1300, with the duke equestrian, evoking contemporary seals, and the the mailed arm brandishing a sword on the reverse.

image.jpeg.1673fbb0a40c6d11688e14b84fd73ee8.jpegimage.jpeg.b3acbd8c0d4e298c425ca2903287b49a.jpeg

And some literally resonantly good music from Burkina Faso (Thank you, conspicuously Not part of the British Empire), featuring two balafon players (the prototypical xylophones, made from wood --which is 'tuned' at a level comparable to Stradivarii and Amatis), and two djembe players (the large hand drums). 

...It's this sort of thing that demonstrates how polyrhythm is to rhythm what counterpoint is to melody.  The level of complexity is effectively identical.  ...Bach, at his most contrapuntally complex (and I, for one, love and need it), had to rely on rhythmic structures which, compared to this, were at grade-school level.  This is merely the mirror image of what he was doing.

And this track might do more toward elucidating the underlying ambiguity, especially between a beloved member of the species, and the near-millennium (thank you, you can start wth Ireland) of imperial exploitation which she (no, to her credit) so very literally inherited.

Edited by JeandAcre
(British Empire, and so forth)
  • Like 8

• Benefactor
14 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

Thank you for that, @robinjojo.  It's worth remembering, for one instance, that she very literally inherited the British Empire, as a teenager, and was hardly personally responsible for its actions, however abominable, over the course of the preceding centuries.  I very much prefer to think that her primary aspiration, all along, was to be a resonantly decent human being, within the sometimes toxically restrictive confines of the context which she was given, both at birth and at her accession.  ...But I also think I know where she is, right now. 

A petit denier of Feri I, Duke of Lorraine c. 1250-1300, with the duke equestrian, evoking contemporary seals, and the the mailed arm brandishing a sword on the reverse.

image.jpeg.1673fbb0a40c6d11688e14b84fd73ee8.jpegimage.jpeg.b3acbd8c0d4e298c425ca2903287b49a.jpeg

And some literally resonantly good music from Burkina Faso (Thank you, conspicuously Not part of the British Empire), featuring two balafon players (the prototypical xylophones, made from wood --which is 'tuned' at a level comparable to Stradivarii and Amatis), and two djembe players (the large hand drums). 

...It's this sort of thing that demonstrates how polyrhythm is to rhythm what counterpoint is to melody.  The level of complexity is effectively identical.  ...Bach, at his most contrapuntally complex (and I, for one, love and need it), had to rely on rhythmic structures which, compared to this, were at grade-school level.  This is merely the mirror image of what he was doing.

Thank you so much for the wonderful link, utterly fascinating rhythmic modulations!  

Yes, a better part of the world was shaped by colonialism and subjection by European powers, especially in Africa, South and Central America (and Mexico) ,South Asia, Asia and the Caribbean.  I think the evolution of the British Empire into the Commonwealth was a step away from those times, but the social, economic and political effects resonate to this day.  

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robinjojo said:

I think the evolution of the British Empire into the Commonwealth was a step away from those times, but the social, economic and political effects resonate to this day.  

Thank you no less, @robinjojo.   And, Yeah, to wallow in the abjectly obvious, you can take everything you said, substitute 'abolition' and 'limited, effectively cyclical progress in civil rights' for 'Commonwealth,' and you've landed neatly across the pond.

Edited by JeandAcre

• Benefactor

Happy Tuesday, coiners!!

Cheers

Sabina, wife of Hadrian. Augusta, AR Denarius

128-136/7 AD

Struck circa 128-134 AD

Diameter: 20 mm

Weight: 2.9 grams

Obverse: SABINA AVGVSTA HADRIANI AVG P P, diademed and draped bust right, hair in plaited coil on crown of head

Reverse: Anepigraphic, Venus standing right, seen from behind, leaning on column with shield behind, holding reverted spear and helmet

Reference: RIC II 412 (Hadrian); Strack 363a; BMCRE 920 (Hadrian); RSC 89

Other: Sweet and Rare

Ex-stevex6

Sabina.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

Well, we're nearly half way through September, so how about a coin and an old song, performed by the incomparable Ella Fitzgerald,  and a piano piece by Tchaikovsky to commemorate this month ?

Septimius Severus, tetradrachm, Laodicea ad Mare, 209-211 AD.  From Roma E-Sale 75, Lot 485.

15.42 grams

310152206_D-CameraSeptimiusSeverustetLaodiceaadMare209-11AD15.42gRoma754859-17-21.jpg.2c05af566b44ae297e5c7b59fd69a801.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 8
  • Clap 1

Helen Merrill and Orbiana

normal_Orbiana_1.jpg.a4f42f203705a101ee69a63f6200c56a.jpg

Orbiana
AR Denarius. Rome, AD 225-227
Obv.: SALL BARBIA ORBIANA AVG, Draped bust right, wearing stephane
Rev.: CONCORDIA AVGG, Concordia seated left, holding patera and double cornucopia
Ag, 2.84g, 18.9mm
Ref.: RIC IV 319, RSC 1, CRE 497 [C]

• Like 7

When this first came out I kept it on repeat on my loudspeakers while studying for my exams. I had a lot of catching up to do that year, trying to compensate for 3 years of slacking, so this guy really helped me concentrate and make the best of it.

And a Maximinus II bought from Lanz for 30$.

1265993134_maxhercvictant.JPG.94c41180c681f0659a1c16b03d6a39e7.JPG

Edited by seth77
  • Like 8

Still in some download charts. Memories of Glastonbury pre-Covid...

To go with Mr Optimistic....

Magnus Maximus Solidus, 383-388
image.png.5e74669dbcdc26bd28223eef11240b24.png

Augusta/London. Gold, 21mm, 4.59g, 6h. Rosette-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Magnus Maximus right, seen from front; D N MAG MA-XIMVS P F AVG. Magnus Maximus and Theodosius I seated facing on double throne, jointly holding globe between them; half-length figure of Victory above facing between, vertical palm branch under throne; VICTOR-IA AVGG; AVGOB in exergue (RIC IX, 2b; Biaggi 2312 (this coin)). Ex Leo Biaggi de Blasys. NGC #6057866-002.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 6