I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

@Steve, it's truly great to see you here again!  

Really liking that, Yikes, hemiobol.  Had no idea that other city-states were imitating the Aegina stuff. 

...And, Yep, you just Can't get more vintage metal than Sabbath. 

"All Right, Now...."

(Edit:) For those of us who've been here that long, Anything from the '70's has to be that much better on vinyl.

Hector looks as if he's feeling just that much guilt about sitting in the chair!  :<}

Edited by JeandAcre
...Too much subsequent stuff to enumerate.
  • Yes 1

And one with the messenger of the gods ...

GallienusFIDESAVGMercury.jpg.eff0384740557ba851a5a8881d0e2af4.jpg
Gallienus, AD 253-268.
Roman silvered billon antoninianus, 4.25 g, 21.3 mm, 11 h.
Antioch, AD 267.
Obv: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: FIDES AVG, Mercury standing right, holding marsupium (purse) and caduceus; PXV (=TR P XV) in exergue.
Refs: RIC 607F; Göbl 1667k; Cohen 219; RCV 10212; Hunter p. lxx.

• Like 10

Bumping with a little Swingtown!

And an old coin -- from the early days of my collection.

MaximianCONCORDIAMILITVMantoninianus.jpg.118cd1b0a3edf044795f455b13902789.jpg
Maximian, AD 286-308.
Roman Æ Antoninianus, 3.78 mm, 23.0 mm, 12 h.
Cyzicus, AD 293-294.
Obv: IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS AVG, radiate and draped bust right.
Rev: CONCORDIA MILITVM•, Emperor standing right, receiving Victory from Jupiter standing left; Г/XII•.
Refs: RIC 607; Cohen 53; RCV 13115.

• Like 8

No music fans? No @Steve, @expat, @AncientOne or @Ryro? Let's get funky with the Brothers Johnson!

And the brothers Titus and Domitian!

TitusandDomitianLaodiceaCombusta.jpg.b77f86722c61aafd97ab4b7726c564a9.jpg
Titus and Domitian, Caesares, AD 69-81.
Roman provincial Æ 18.5 mm, 5.14 g, 5 h.
Lycaonia, Laodicea Combusta (Laodikeia Katakekaumene / Claudio-Laodicea).
Obv: TITOC KAI ΔOMITIANOC KAICAΡEC, bare head of Titus right, facing bare head of Domitian left.
Rev: KΛAYΔIO ΛAOΔIKЄѠN, Cybele, polos on head, seated left, holding patera and tympanum; lion beneath throne.
Refs: RPC II 1613; von Aulock Lykaoniens 151; SNG von Aulock 8416; Waddington 4779; SNG France III 2322.

• Like 5
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 2

Keep the funk alive!

bagis_0.jpg.c7ce7af876318bb216559ff4f8b7afcf.jpg

Lydia, Bagis. Pseudo-autonomous Æ21. 190-240 AD.

Obv: ΔHMOC, youthful, laureate bust of Demos right, drapery on left shoulder.
Rev: EΠI ΓAIOY AΡC A BAΓHNΩN (HN ligate), River-god Hermos, himation over lower limbs, reclining left, holding reed over right shoulder, resting left arm on urn from which waters flow, EΡMOC below.
Archon Gaius

• Like 5
  • Smile 1
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1

14 hours ago, Roman Collector said:

No music fans? No @Steve, @expat, @AncientOne or @Ryro? Let's get funky with the Brothers Johnson!

And the brothers Titus and Domitian!

TitusandDomitianLaodiceaCombusta.jpg.b77f86722c61aafd97ab4b7726c564a9.jpg
Titus and Domitian, Caesares, AD 69-81.
Roman provincial Æ 18.5 mm, 5.14 g, 5 h.
Lycaonia, Laodicea Combusta (Laodikeia Katakekaumene / Claudio-Laodicea).
Obv: TITOC KAI ΔOMITIANOC KAICAΡEC, bare head of Titus right, facing bare head of Domitian left.
Rev: KΛAYΔIO ΛAOΔIKЄѠN, Cybele, polos on head, seated left, holding patera and tympanum; lion beneath throne.
Refs: RPC II 1613; von Aulock Lykaoniens 151; SNG von Aulock 8416; Waddington 4779; SNG France III 2322.

Oh, funk yeeuuusss! You called on the gods of funk....yaba daba madoozla baaaaaaby!

Here's an extremely rare, and funky, contemporary imitation, or really rough,  of one of the first types of MSC!

Screenshot_20230317_132000_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png.c6d5d3c9f2447724081da97c81e4cf01.png

Alexander III 'the Great' (336-323 BC).

AE. Uncertain mint in Macedon. 336-323 BC or later. 2,88 g // 13 mm

Obv: Macedonian shield.

Rev: K. Bow in quiver, club and grain ear. 

Price 2071; HGC 3.1, 959 (Alexander IV).

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 7
  • Smile 2

Denier of Aquitaine, attributed to Eleanor, whether before, between or during her marriages to Louis VII (Duke 1137-52) and the future Henry II (Duke 1152-89). 

image.jpeg.7a3e3225031440393dae449bd67d3f3f.jpeg

Aquitaine (likely Bordeaux).  Denier.

Rev. Cross; +AQVITANIE.  

Obv. Two crosslets; Omega and Alpha between.  +DVCISIT.

(Duplessy (2004:) 1025: 'anonyme;' Spink, Scotland...Anglo-Gallic (2015) 8011: 'Eleanor.'  ...If anyone would care to cite one of the heavyweights for Anglo-Gallic, it would be keenly appreciated!) 

...For anything that's better than funk, on the same plane of existence, one thing has to be Funk On Vinyl. 

...Retro I can get behind.  Among a certain generation, you sort of take all the vindication you can get.

(Edit: Sorry; for this, I was late to the party.  Car trouble.)

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 8

Maeonia2.jpg.881f9917516ccc4e6b6e80fdf8d071b4.jpg

Lydia, Maeonia. Pseudo-autonomous Æ24

Obv: ΖƐΥϹ οΛΥΜΠΙοϹ / Diademed head of Zeus Olympios with traces of drapery, r.
Rev: ƐΠΙ ΑΙΛ ΝƐΩΝοϹ ΜΑΙοΝΩΝ / Helmeted Roma seated on cuirass and shield, l., holding Nike and sword.
Magistrate Ail. Neon Ioul.
c. 147-161
RPC IV.2, 1310

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

@JeandAcre - The Doors actually supported Them with Van Morrison in 1966 - scroll down to June for some photos of the two bands on stage together - http://www.doorshistory.com/doors1966.html

I saw half of The Doors in 2003 in Dublin (Robby Krieger & Ray Manzarek) - with Ian Astbury singing and basically trying to look like Jim Morrison 😄 - they were then called The Doors of the 21st Century and later had to change their name - AFAICR, John Densmore sued them to stop calling themselves The Doors.  Anyway, it was a great gig.

To the main point of the post, inasmuch as there is a point - while I'm huge fan of the late Cathal Coughlan, I have to admit that some of his side efforts were very silly - funny, but perhaps an acquired taste - let's see 😄

Bubonique was a group with Cathal and the also sadly departed comedian Sean Hughes and some other guy whose name I can't remember which produced two albums - "20 Golden Showers" and "Trance Arse Volume 3".   The former had only one track, of around an hour, which is usually broken into about twenty scabrous songs.   I've just bought it online - can't wait to hear the rest of it 😄   I bought the latter when it first came out in the mid-90s and it's best described as eclectic - under Genre, discogs.com lists "Electronic, Hip Hop, Jazz, Rock, Reggae, Funk/Soul, Non-Music, Pop, Folk, World, & Country" - there's plenty there to annoy everyone.

Anyway, here's a Julian Cope song they screwed around with.

I actually found a recording of Sean Hughes singing the same song, possibly on his zany (underused word these days) TV comedy show.   The dancers look like they're from a Tindersticks video:

Here's a coin I got at a show last month.

Moneyer: C. Licinius Macer
Coin: Silver Denarius
- Bust of Apollo seen from behind, with head turned to left and with thunderbolt in right hand
- Minerva in quadriga, right, holding shield and reins in left hand and spear in right hand
Exergue: C·LICINIVS·L·F / MACER
Mint: Rome (84 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.78g / 20mm / 2h
References:
  • RSC 16 (Licinia)
  • Sydenham 732
  • Crawford 354/1
Acquisition: Hibernian Coins and Notes Irish International Coin Fair 18-Feb-2023

spacer.pngspacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 8

And here's one of the first coins of the Roman Republic that I ever acquired.

FulviaMusidiusLongusdenarius.jpg.1491ea2497debc3607fc3ad81e6478e1.jpg
L. Mussidius Longus, 42 BCE.
Roman Republican AR denarius, 3.48 gm, 16.4 mm, 4 h.
Rome, 42 BCE.
Obv: Draped bust of Marc Antony's 3rd wife, Fulvia, as Victory, right.
Rev: L·MVSSIDIVS LONGVS, Victory in biga right, holding reins in both hands.
Refs: RRC 494/40; BMCRR 4229; RCV 1517; Sydenham 1095; RSC Mussidia 4; Banti Mussidia 613.

• Like 7
  • Smile 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I'll follow beauty with a beast...

I have some beautiful horrific coins, but this may be the scariest coin I own. 

Screenshot_20211001-093707_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png.734dd313d9e38f6a5d318b10448bbcb0.png

CARNUTES (Beauce region) (2nd - 1st centuries BC) copper alloy with the diabolical head and the wolf

16.4mm, 3.81g. R3

LT.manque - DT.2612 - BN.? - PK.43 var. - BMCC.S285

Obv: Spooky head on the left, a drop-shaped globule, possibly human flesh, in the mouth.

Rev: Stylized and gendered (if you don't know what that means, look closer) wolf on the left, the tail between the legs and a cross/crucifix over the back.

Unearthed Sept 2021 Burgundy region of France

"The Carnutes would have participated in the legendary expedition from Bellovese to Italy. They formed the geographical center of Gaul and, long before the start of the Gallic Wars, Roman merchants knew the way to Genabum (Orleans), then a large commercial center. The Carnutes were also famous for their forest where the annual meeting of the Druids was held. At the start of the War, Caesar had wintered among the Carnutes in 57 BC and imposed them as King Tasgetios, who was assassinated in 54 BC The following year, they submitted but at the beginning from 52 BC, they are perhaps at the origin of the revolt which will raise the whole of Gaul. It is possible that the conspirators met during a Druidic assembly. The Carnutes massacred the colonists and the Roman merchants of Genabum (Orleans) under the leadership of Cotuatos and Conconnétodumnos. Caesar came to besiege the city he took, looted and burned down, marking the start of hostilities. The Carnutes then provided a contingent of twelve thousand men to the relief army in order to free Alesia. After the fall of Vercingetorix, the following year, the Romans carried out a new campaign of pacification and Caesar punished the assassins of the previous year."

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 6
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1

Bumping the thread with The Beat!

And here's an old coin -- back when you could get fully silvered 3rd century antoniniani for $8.00 each in group lots.

[IMG]
Tacitus, AD 275-276.
Roman billon antoninianus, 3.57 gm, 21.1 mm.
Ticinum, AD 276.
Obv: IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: VICTORIA GOTTHI, Victoria standing left, holding wreath and palm; P in exergue.
Refs: RIC 172; Cohen 158; Sear 11821; Hunter 59; CBN 1676.

• Like 6
  • Yes 1

I put a CD on today to discover that one channel of my old Rotel RA930 amplifier seems to have failed.   Either that or one speaker has died.   I'll open it up at the weekend and have a poke around and see if I can fix it.

Anyway, here's a band I never got to see - I wanted to go once in Cork (mid 1990s?) and my friends were broke - £7 on the door was too much 😄   Student days...

Here's a recent arrival:

Gens: Vibia
Moneyer: C. Vibius C.f. Pansa
Coin: Silver Denarius
PANSA - Mask of bearded Pan, right, with hair decorated with three rows of berries; behind, Pedum
C·VIBIVS·C·F·C·N / IOVISAXVR - Jupiter seated left, laureate, holding patera in right hand and sceptre in left hand
Mint: Rome (48 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.81g / 19mm / -
References:
  • RSC 18 (Vibia)
  • Sydenham 948
  • Crawford 449/1b
  • HCRI 20a
Acquisition: Artemide Aste Online auction Asta 62E #410 11-Mar-2023

spacer.pngspacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 6

I've seen this band in concert more than any other.

I have more coins of this person than any other.

FaustinaJrPVDICITIAveildenariustype2hairstyle.jpg.88fdd252c29320c1e6ef628bfab872c0.jpg

Faustina II, AD 147-175.
Roman AR denarius, 3.86 g, 19.2 mm, 7 h.
Rome, AD 149-151.
Obv: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, bare-headed and draped bust, right (Beckmann type 2 hairstyle).
Rev: PVDICITIA, Pudicitia veiled, standing left, arranging drapery on right shoulder, and holding up hem of skirt.
Refs: RIC 507a; BMCRE 1051-53; Cohen 185 corr.; RSC 176a; Sear 4706; Strack 493; CRE 206.
Note: Cohen 176 refers to a diademed bust type (likely misdescribed); Cohen 185 with obverse right-facing bust “avec les chevaux ondés” (with wavy hair) and reverse “La Pudeur debout à gauche, se couvrent la tête de son voile, main droite baissée” (Pudicitia stg. l., covering her head with veil, r. hand lowered at side) is probably this coin.

• Like 8

Bumping the thread with some Earth, Wind & Fire!

And an old coin.

[IMG]
L. Cupiennius, 147 BC.
Roman Republican AR denarius, 3.89 g, 17.7 mm, 3 h.
Rome, 147 BC.
Obv: Helmeted head of Roma, right; cornucopiae behind; denominational mark X before.
Rev: Dioscuri galloping right; L·CVP (VP ligatured) below; ROMA in exergue.
Refs: Crawford (RRC) 218/1; RSC Cupiennia 1; Sydenham (CRR) 404; RCV 94.

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

Chestnut Mare - YouTube Music

Roman Republic. C. Piso L. f. Frugi. 61 BC. AR Denarius (18mm, 4.10g, 6h). Obv: Head of Apollo left, hair bound with fillet; EI (retrograde) to left. Rev: Horseman galloping right, holding long palm in left hand, reins in right; C•PISO•L•F•FRVG / O, below. Ref: Crawford 408/1b (dies O7/R16); C. Hersh, "A Study of the Coinage of the Moneyer C. Calpurnius Piso L. f. Frugi," NC (1976), 174 (O214/R2019); Sydenham 851; Calpurnia 24. Choice Extra Fine, iridescent toning. Ex Heritage, 2004 HWCA Auction 339 (08 Jan 2004), Lot 12130. 

image.jpeg.0dd745ce838bdb8c003d1639ba57ddd6.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

• 3 weeks later...