I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

Probus was an active and successful general as well as a conscientious administrator, and in his reign of six years he secured prosperity for the inner provinces while withstanding repeated invasions of barbarian tribes on almost every sector of the frontier.

After repelling the foreign enemies of the empire, Probus was forced to handle several internal revolts but demonstrated leniency and moderation to the vanquished wherever possible

Probus AE Antoninianus. Siscia, 279 AD.
IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, radiate bust left, wearing imperial mantle and holding eagle-tipped sceptre / VIRTVS PROBI AVG, trophy standing between two captives. RIC 820, Cohen 942.
22 mm, 4,87 g

5383454_1712334626.l-removebg-preview.png.2b8780bd620cdd4f5425a3ff97d79e93.png

• Like 4
  • Smile 1

A ram is a sheep, right?

I have always loved this artist, and when I'm crossing the bar I would like to hear this song as I drift away for the last time...

Klazomenai, Ionia

Late 4th century BC
AE12 (12mm, 1.79g)
O: Head of Athena to right, wearing crested Attic helmet decorated with olive leaves, and triple pendant earring.
R: Head of ram to right; KΛΑ below.
Sear 4322
ex JAZ Numismatics

4EaFt9YCYi6Gj8Az2WnSo34X5Ge7cE_6.jpg

• Like 5

Elagabalus AR Denarius, Rome 220-222 AD
IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate draped bust right / VICTORIA AVG, Victory flying left, open diadem in both hands, shields to both sides, star in right field. RSC 300. RIC 161. BMC 234. 2,8 g - 18,5 mm

qJr48RtMf9QSN42xk3zKZij5L7pC6G.jpg.d48afc4ba15fd7847a3ac83b967c5a60.jpg

• Like 4
  • Yes 1

There has been so many cover versions of this song, I have chosen one of the lesser known versions

Septimius Severus AR Denarius, Rome 207 AD. 20mm, 3.31gr.
RIC 207, RSC 493, BMC 531
SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right / P M TR P XV COS III P P, Personification of Africa standing right, holding out folds of drapery containing fruits, lion at feet walking right.

Wky8L5BteS32rq9Z7XDbToT3iP4fa6.jpg.9e47866152b9657251b19ee516fc9671.jpg

• Like 4

A tribute to Mike Pinder, the last surviving original member of The Moody Blues, he has passed away aged 82.

Another person with a legendary mind

Marcus Aurelius, as Caesar. AE As. 151-152 AD. Struck under Antoninus Pius.

Obv: AVRELIVS CAESAR ANTONINI AVG PII FIL, bare head right.
Rev: TR POT VI COS II. VIR-TVS and S-C across fields. Virtus standing
left, foot on helmet, holding spear and parazonium.
RIC 1307; Cohen 1013.13,0 g - 26,5 mm

7bYJ78Bpec5Xt6QsG6g9Em4TqK42M3-Copy-Copy.jpg.7828810c5788712548197c5aecd9f20e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Cry 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Sad news. The mellatron master. Wasn't he the only original member from that first 'Go Now' album? Danny Laine (Wings) was in that band too.

A friend of mine once told me "you know you're getting old when rock stars start dying of natural causes".  🙁

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

Nerva Rome mint 97 AD
AE As, 10.15gr, 27mm RIC 77, Cohen 7, BMC 127
IMP NERVA CAES AVG P M TR P COS III P P, laureate head right / AEQVITAS AVGVST S-C, Equitas standing left with scales & cornucopiae.
Marcus Cocceius Nerva was Roman emperor from 96 to 98. He was born November 8, 30 AD, and died January 27, 98 AD. Nerva became emperor when aged almost 66, after a lifetime of imperial service under Nero and the succeeding rulers of the Flavian dynasty. Under Nero, he was a member of the imperial entourage and played a vital part in exposing the Pisonian conspiracy of 65.

4Gyzrk5F6ZdZJX9gnmB8sQ78N3fWc5.jpg.644b9f02fca6feaa05660f99f39e4c51.jpg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Roman Collector said:

Yeah, The Hu are cool. Mongol hoards riding over the crest on Harleys... good stuff!  I think Wolf Totem was the song they did with Kid Rock on vocals. Oh well, I still like them anyway. They played Portland a few months ago but I didn't have the drachmas.

~ Peter 

Edited by Phil Anthos

Constantine II AE follis. 337-340 AD. CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, laureate head right / PROVIDENTIAE CAESS, campgate with no doors, two turrets and star above. Mintmark: Epsilon SIS double crescent.
Siscia 2.92 g, 19.2mm
RIC VII 216

5278275_1710749223.l-removebg-preview.png.e78f88571ee6f532398b97d3d8ec6cc3.png

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Handel wrote an oratorio of three acts about Alexander I Balus, this is a piece of the work by Nuria Rial

SELEUCID KINGS of SYRIA. Alexander I Balas.(152-145 BC).Antioch.Ae.
Obv : Head of Alexander I to right, wearing lion skin headdress.
Rev : ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟY.
Apollo standing facing, head to left, holding arrow and grounded bow; trident to outer left, monogram in exergue.
SC 1795.3.Weight : 6.12 gr Diameter : 17 mm

4848544_1700064809.jpg.6d8352dfec4552d2e8fecaedc694a636.jpg

• Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Alegandron said:

RITrajanEgyptAEDichalkonLaureatehdLRhinoceroswalkingLLI-Zyr17CE113-11412_9mm1.25gEmmet719var.rhinoright.JPG.48bbc92dc31b247ad659be61a2d3bbd3.JPG

RI Trajan Egypt AE Dichalkon Laureate hd L Rhinoceros walking L LI-Z yr 17 CE 113-114 12.9mm 1.25g Emmet 719 var. rhino right

@Alegandron, the convergence of your latest two is really resonating.  In some utterly inarticulate, correspondingly mysterious way, I get a sense that Highland Scots have a more visceral connection to their deep Central Asian roots than most Europeans.  ...Maybe because they settled so early, and then just kind of stayed put?  A little like how mountain hillbillies held onto speech patterns verging on Elizabethan longer than anyone else did.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

@Alegandron, the convergence of your latest two is really resonating.  In some utterly inarticulate, correspondingly mysterious way, I get a sense that Highland Scots have a more visceral connection to their deep Central Asian roots than most Europeans.  ...Maybe because they settled so early, and then just kind of stayed put?  A little like how mountain hillbillies held onto speech patterns verging on Elizabethan longer than anyone else did.

I wondered about that also, and feel the same as you on . Very cool we have the same observations.

• Smile 1

3 hours ago, Roman Collector said:

The opening credit is Really making me want some Tuvan throat singing.

Back before I lost the top and bottom of my range, there was a window when I could do (Very indifferent) kargyraa (the bass kind) and falsetto on the same day.  Never made it past doing three notes at a time --only two, mostly-- but it was fun, anyway.

...You all would be cordially welcome to post some, if you happen to be so inclined.  Otherwise, it might be the next thing I put here!

1 hour ago, expat said:

Handel wrote an oratorio of three acts about Alexander I Balus, this is a piece of the work by Nuria Rial

SELEUCID KINGS of SYRIA. Alexander I Balas.(152-145 BC).Antioch.Ae.
Obv : Head of Alexander I to right, wearing lion skin headdress.
Rev : ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟY.
Apollo standing facing, head to left, holding arrow and grounded bow; trident to outer left, monogram in exergue.
SC 1795.3.Weight : 6.12 gr Diameter : 17 mm

4848544_1700064809.jpg.6d8352dfec4552d2e8fecaedc694a636.jpg

Aaaah, lovely.  When it comes to Handel's secular oratorios, I'm a total illiterate.  Thanks Lots for expanding my horizons in this direction!

And how great is it that your example Just Happens to have Apollo on the reverse?  To answer my own ostensibly rhetorical question, Too Great.

On 4/23/2024 at 11:04 AM, expat said:

Probus was an active and successful general as well as a conscientious administrator, and in his reign of six years he secured prosperity for the inner provinces while withstanding repeated invasions of barbarian tribes on almost every sector of the frontier.

After repelling the foreign enemies of the empire, Probus was forced to handle several internal revolts but demonstrated leniency and moderation to the vanquished wherever possible

Probus AE Antoninianus. Siscia, 279 AD.
IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, radiate bust left, wearing imperial mantle and holding eagle-tipped sceptre / VIRTVS PROBI AVG, trophy standing between two captives. RIC 820, Cohen 942.
22 mm, 4,87 g

5383454_1712334626.l-removebg-preview.png.2b8780bd620cdd4f5425a3ff97d79e93.png

@expat, it's finally landing on me how closely Probus' career and aspirations mirrored those of his namesake.  It can't be more apparent that the influence of Marcus Aurelius, not least his ethics, was a very conscious part of his background.  Sad that he had a similar profusion of challenges in implementing it on his 'day job' as emperor.

• Like 1

Antoninius Pius (Elagabalus), priest of the sun god, worshiped in Emesa with the Phoenician name Elagabal. The followers worshiped a large black stone from Zeus as divine and linked to the sun god.  This coin explicitly references him on the reverse as "SACERD DEI SOLIS ELAGAB" or "priest of the god of the sun, Elagabal".

https://www.sullacoins.com/post/son-of-caracalla

ElagabalusPriestofSunGod.jpg.096bbb8ab6053047b3fb0f295dfe2097.jpg

Elagabalus, (A.D. 218-222), silver denarius, issued 221-222 A.D., Rome Mint, (3.33 g, 6h)

Obv: laureate draped head of Elagabalus to right, with horn over forehead, around, IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG,

Rev: SACERD DEI SOLIS ELAGAB, Elagabalus standing to right. sacrificing out of a patera over lighted altar, holding club upright, in field to right a star

Ref: S.7542, RIC 131, BMC 225 note, RSC 246

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 4
  • Smile 1

...And, Yep, gotta post some Tuvan kargyraa, as threatened.

The nearest coin for this has been reposted an embarrassing number of times.  But it's the best I can do.  Bernhard II, Duke of Carinthia 1202-1256.  Already an eastern march of the German empire, Carinthia witnessed the Mongol invasion of Austria in 1241, which was repulsed --with help from the Mongol army having gotten word of the death of the presiding Khan back home.  I need how the duke is represented, in full mail, brandishing a sword, with a shield with the fess of the Carinthian blazon.  'Mess with me, Watch what happens!'

image.jpeg.10a03e9c8e2e043fb771045933642ac9.jpegimage.jpeg.e8958ad3a08195426058904cbcde7765.jpeg

Now, some of the stuff for which that was merely the pretext.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

17 minutes ago, Sulla80 said:

Antoninius Pius (Elagabalus), priest of the sun god, worshiped in Emesa with the Phoenician name Elagabal. The followers worshiped a large black stone from Zeus as divine and linked to the sun god.  This coin explicitly references him on the reverse as "SACERD DEI SOLIS ELAGAB" or "priest of the god of the sun, Elagabal".

https://www.sullacoins.com/post/son-of-caracalla

ElagabalusPriestofSunGod.jpg.096bbb8ab6053047b3fb0f295dfe2097.jpg

Elagabalus, (A.D. 218-222), silver denarius, issued 221-222 A.D., Rome Mint, (3.33 g, 6h)

Obv: laureate draped head of Elagabalus to right, with horn over forehead, around, IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG,

Rev: SACERD DEI SOLIS ELAGAB, Elagabalus standing to right. sacrificing out of a patera over lighted altar, holding club upright, in field to right a star

Ref: S.7542, RIC 131, BMC 225 note, RSC 246

@Sulla80, having liked to look down my nose at the Beatles for most of my life (after being raised on Sgt. Pepper), some serious rehabilitation was called for!  Yes, this has to be one of my favorite tunes.  ...Still knew I liked some of the solo stuff of Lennon and Harrison.  But, No, the horizons are already expanding beyond that.  You're owed some serious thanks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeandAcre said:

@Sulla80, having liked to look down my nose at the Beatles for most of my life (after being raised on Sgt. Pepper), some serious rehabilitation was called for!  Yes, this has to be one of my favorite tunes.  ...Still knew I liked some of the solo stuff of Lennon and Harrison.  But, No, the horizons are already expanding beyond that.  You're owed some serious thanks.  

George wrote some great songs! In addition to "Here Comes the Sun, " he wrote this one. Absolutely one of the Beatles' best!

And here's a coin I've had for a while to match.

FaustinaJrLAETITIASCstandingrightsestertius.jpg.2e25fdb7537a0dceb9e7cf535137d1d0.jpg
Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 24.69 g, 32 mm, 11 h.
Rome, late 162 - early 163 CE.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust of Faustina II, right, with a double strand of pearls in the hair.
Rev: LAETITIA S C, Laetitia standing facing, head right, holding vertical scepter in right hand and wreath in left hand.
Refs: RIC --; BMCRE --; Cohen --; RCV --; MIR 21-6/10b.
Notes: Künker eLive auction 63, lot 35, 30.11.2020; known examples limited to: Gorny & Mosch Giessener Münzhandlung (Auction 200), 10.10.2011, lot 2612; Gorny & Mosch Giessener Münzhandlung (Auction 164), 17.3.2008, lot 411; Auktionshaus H. D. Rauch GmbH (Auction 81), 21.11.2007, lot 426; and MIR cites a specimen in Paris.

• Like 4
  • Smile 1

15 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

But, No, the horizons are already expanding beyond that.

You may enjoy this movie:

and this coin of C. Papirius Carbo - who was on a roll until he returned from his governorship in Bithynia to be prosecuted by the son of Marcus Cotta and convicted of corruption.  He receded into obscurity afterwards.

https://www.sullacoins.com/post/romans-in-bythynia

CPapiriusCarboNikomedia.jpg.3f15de3d08aa1b1ab95c0bdda45d1f21.jpg

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1