I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

R.I.P., Christine McVie. 😞

130879387_FaustinaJrPVDICITIAveildenariustype2hairstyle.thumb.jpg.c7bf2ba27b86340eb94d6278661ee4ed.jpg

Faustina II, AD 147-175.
Roman AR denarius, 3.86 g, 19.2 mm, 7 h.
Rome, AD 149-151.
Obv: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, bare-headed and draped bust, right (Beckmann type 2 hairstyle).
Rev: PVDICITIA,
Pudicitia veiled, standing left, arranging drapery on right shoulder, and holding up hem of skirt.
Refs: RIC 507a; BMCRE 1051-53; Cohen 185 corr.; RSC 176a; Sear 4706; Strack 493; CRE 206.

Note: Cohen 176 refers to a diademed bust type (likely misdescribed); Cohen 185 with obverse right-facing bust “avec les chevaux ondés” (with wavy hair) and reverse “La Pudeur debout à gauche, se couvrent la tête de son voile, main droite baissée” (Pudicitia stg. l., covering her head with veil, r. hand lowered at side) is probably this coin.

Edited by Roman Collector
  • Like 5
  • Cry 3

Here's Pet Lamb - I saw them play sometime in the early 90s.   They were loud and fast and pretty great 🙂

Here's a coin that arrived today - Cr. 410/2b - Calliope, Muse of Epic Poetry.   I already had Cr. 410/2a, which has the legend on the reverse swapped - i.e., MVSA on the left and Q. POMPONI on the right - but of course needed this variety too.

Cr410_2b_Obv.JPG.353499ba691b04d726f02360eea24fc4.JPGCr410_2b_Rev.JPG.f3199d43a612ccbf99ff26f917f0f0c4.JPG

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 8

Thanks, Aidan, for your unfailing capacity to expand my horizons.  And the coin is cool, too; congratulations on getting both of the main versions!  

Back to the music, I can dimly recall a time when lots of people would be happy to hear this and just call it 'Punk.'  With both Punk and Hip-Hop closing in on being a half-century old, it can be no surprise that they've been morphing at kaleidescopic rates, while influencing any number of other, ostensibly independent genres.

...What to do with this.   First, findacoin, findacoin.

image.jpeg.6b2bc184156a93004dba95925a054307.jpeg

My best extant dinero of Genoa (IANVA), immobilized from the Salian German king /emperor Konrad II (CVNRADI REX) in the earlier 11th c.; continued into the 14th. 

Right, wish you could stop me, but Genoa, Pisa, and Florence were all mercantile city-states, vying for trade over the Mediterranean and beyond.  Leading to a mutual economic power base that helped to fuel fund the Italian Renaissance. 

Thank you, in that kind of sustained, mercantile context, I have to think the Genoans had the right idea.  Focus on the reliability of the coinage itself, and its familiarity across that broad of a geographic range and, regarding the designs, leave any potentially unwelcome creativity to someone else.  ...I have to wonder whether the contemporary immobilization in English pennies, of similarly reliable composition, had a comparable motivation.  ...Even that far to the northwest, mercantilism and feudalism had been coexisting for centuries.

Right, here's the song.  I've always liked how, as numismatists (amateur --Teacher, I Raise My Hand-- or not), we can see 'money talking' on the level of historical documentation, instead of only the more relentlessly mundane one that exists in real time.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the (oxymoron alert:) 'bullion coin' that used to appear at the top of every page of the old forum --more than any other one thing, this made it impossible to stand them any more.

T.jpeg

And, in light of today's news regarding the findings of the Senate committee, here's some.  I mostly just need the first movement, with the tympany getting louder as it goes along.  Maybe not the Bruno Walter I grew up with, but close enough. 

(...Walter survived the Holocaust by getting to London, soon enough.  Why did so many American Jews actively, sometimes fatally, participate in the initial Civil Rights Movement of the early 1960's?  Because they knew what they were looking at. 

(There's another brilliant reading of this, recorded live in Berlin within a year or two of the fall of the wall.  I only had it on cassette, and it resists finding online.  But it's electric.  Sometimes, you need something about the immediate context, to get the full effect.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:01_Horenstein_9._Beethoven_Pantheon_XP_2250_-_1._Satz.flac 

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 5

Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands. This one, from Aja, is one of my favorite songs.

Here's an oldie I've had in my collection for a while. Trajan was the Crimson Tide of Roman emperors. Call me Deacon blues.

[IMG]

Trajan, AD 98-117
Roman AR denarius; 2.95 gm, 20 mm
Rome, AD 114-117
Obv: IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC, laureate and draped bust, right
Rev: P M TR P COS VI P P S P Q R, Mars walking right with spear and trophy
Refs: RIC 337; BMCRE 536-40; Cohen 270; RCV --; Woytek 520v; Strack 230; BN 819.

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stay tuned, everyone! This week's installment of Faustina Friday just might have something to do with a stone temple ...

Temple of Divus Antoninus and Diva Faustina 2.jpg

Faustina Sr PIETAS AVG temple denarius.jpg

Faustina I, AD 138-140.
Roman AR denarius, 3.55 g, 17.4 mm, 7 h.
Rome, AD 143.
Obv: DIVA AVG FAVSTINA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: PIETAS AVG, hexastyle temple on stepped podium, above, a quadriga, Victories as acroteria.
Refs: RIC 396; BMCRE 319-21; Cohen 253; Strack 432; RCV 4599; UCR 435; CRE 129.
  • Like 8
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

A sweet handful of my coin-friends sent me this cool coin ... they are my best coin-friends!!

dougsmit

TIF

zumbly

Curtisimo

Qcumber

Alegandron

Severus Alexander

Ryro

You guys rock!!

Cheers & Happy New Year!!

Commodus & Pegasus 

commodus cancer pegasus black.jpg

Commodus Gift 1.jpg

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

RIP Anita Pointer

I don't have a coin that fits, so here is Apollo with his lyre.

normal_Republic_R692b_fac.jpg.376c87fed03e3064684a7d4d9802de3e.jpg

P. Clodius M. f. Turrinus
AR Denarius, 42 BC, Rome
Obv.: Laureate bust of Apollo right; lyre behind
Rev.: P•CLODIVS right; M•F• left, Diana standing facing, with bow and quiver over shoulder, holding lighted torch in each hand;
AR, 3.92g
Ref.: Sydenham 1117, Crawford 494/23, Babelon Clodia 14

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

Oh, No, @shanxi, I hadn't heard about her departure.  Coolly late Republican denarius, though. 

Here's another, equally irrelevant coin, that I just paid for via Biddr.

3547693_1669655009.jpg

This is right from the auction page:

Michael VII Ducas (1071-1078). AR 2/3 Miliaresion (16,1 mm, 0,80 g). Constantinople. Sear 1876A. About very fine.

Yep, it's clipped, but I found the full legend (indifferently rendered) on Wildwinds: +QKE-ROHQEI-MIXAHL-DECPOTH-TW DUKA in five lines.  If anyone could help out with the beginning, before 'Michael, Despot, Dukas,' that would be cordially appreciated.

And, maybe toward lightening the mood a little, here's some more Pointer Sisters.  It was a favorite track of my big sister's, and inexorably became one of mine.  Yes, I still need the album cover.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 9

...And, at least in reference to the album title, there's this.

And a favorite denier of the viscounty of Chateaudun.

image.jpeg.1ad7f5575b9c9df7c6d7211e3c8a2370.jpeg

image.jpeg.431240daa37fb60667f24b40813e6bd6.jpeg

Anonymous, c. 1200-1210.  Obv. bleso-chartrain 'profile;' star and two pellets below.

Rev. +CASTRI [annulet] DVnI: 

Duplessy 488, with minor legend variants.  Distinctive both for the star on the obverse, and the still-early Gothic 'n' in the reverse legend. 

• Like 8

@JeandAcre Your JJ Cale post made me think of this one.

perge2_0.jpg.441240ad5ed6059048573e8f18d08074.jpg

Pamphylia, Perge. Otacilia Severa Æ26

Obv: ΜΑΡ ⲰΤΑ ϹƐΟΥΗΡΑΝ ϹƐΒ / diademed and draped bust of Otacilia Severa, r., crescent at shoulders.
Rev: ΠƐΡΓΑΙΑϹ ΑΡΤƐΜΙΔΟϹ, ΑϹΥΛΟΥ / temple with two columns enclosing cult statue of Artemis Pergaia between star and crescent; in pediment, eagle.
RPC VIII, — (unassigned; ID 21051)

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

I ran into Elwood Francis today. He took over for Dusty Hill as the bass player for ZZTop. My business partner new him from back in the day when he was Billy Gibbons' guitar tech. 

normal_germe_1.jpg.fcf808ac773153ad989139905c11140c.jpg

Mysia, Germe. Tyche/Athena Æ22

Obv: ΙƐΡΑ ΓƐΡΜΗ / turreted and draped bust of the Tyche, r.
Rev: ΓƐΡΜΗΝΩΝ / Athena standing, l., holding patera over lighted altar, resting arm on shield; beside, upright spear.
RPC IV.2, 657 (temporary)

• Like 10

This thread needs some Steely Dan ...

And here's a coin of Faustina II when she was about 19. It's hard to say for sure, because we don't know her exact birth year (Levick estimates 130-132 CE) and we don't know the exact year this coin was issued, either.

Faustina Jr VENVS S C left bust As.jpg

Faustina II, AD 147-175/6.
Roman Æ as, 9.85 g, 26.0 mm, 6 h.
Rome, AD 148-151.
Obv: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, Bust of Faustina II, draped, with band of pearls, left.
Rev: VENVS S C, Venus standing right, arranging drapery on right shoulder, and holding apple in her left hand.
Refs: RIC 1410b (bust l.); BMCRE 2165; Cohen --; Strack 1304; RCV --.
  • Like 7
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Here's the last track on Telefís's A Dó - On a Country Road.   Grim subject (Miami Showband - they feature in short clips on videos for some other songs, along with other bands of the era, Google to find out what happened) - but quite haunting.

Here's one that came today from the December Leu auction.

Moneyer: C. Fabius C.f. Hadrianus
Coin: Silver Denarius
M - Veiled and turreted bust of Cybele to right
- Victory in fast biga to right, holding goad in her right hand and reins in her left; below horses, heron standing right
Exergue: C•FABI•C•F
Mint: Rome (102 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.81g / 21mm / 3h
References:
  • RSC 15 (Fabia)
  • Sydenham 589
  • Crawfor 322/1a
Acquisition: Leu Numismatik Online auction Web Auction 24 #2552 4-Dec-2022

Cr322_1a_Obv.JPG.75fbaedb159245c77b263e9cf9b89bce.JPGCr322_1a_Rev.JPG.3958e189e7d0261712c78da9eb39c610.JPG

ATB,
Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 10

Just into the 11th January here, so just missed the 7th anniversary of David Bowie's passing on 10th January, 2016.

I mustn't have noticed this when making a list of my coins from 2022 - I like the obverse of this - it wouldn't look out of place on some 20th century posters.

Moneyer: C. Antius Restio
Coin: Silver Denarius
DEI PENATES - Jugate heads of Dei Penates right
C·ANTIVS·C·F - Hercules walking right, holding trophy and club
Mint: Rome (47 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.90g / 20mm / -
References:
  • RSC 2 (Antia)
  • Sydenham 971
  • Crawford 455/2a
  • BMCRR 4032
  • HCRI 35
Acquisition: Naville Numismatics Online auction NN Live 76 #323 2-Oct-2022

Cr455_2a_Obv.JPG.bc8d109168915f761a5976b88ee9aeaf.JPGCr455_2a_Rev.JPG.6195edabe7ce4793774feab896e58087.JPG

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

I don't know where this earworm came from this morning, but the song ROCKS!

Speaking of crazy, here's an old coin, purchased back in the 90s.

[IMG]
Caracalla AD 198-217.
Roman AR Denarius 3.37 g, 19.7 mm.
Rome mint, AD 211.
Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head, right.
Rev: INDVLG FECVNDAE, Julia Domna as Indulgentia, wearing polos, seated left on cerule chair, extending right hand and holding scepter.
Refs: RIC 214; BMCRE 73; RCV 6805.

• Like 10

Bumping the thread with some Blondie!

Hermes/Mercury was the telephone of the gods!

[IMG]
Faustina II, AD 147-175/6.
Roman provincial Æ 26.3 mm, 9.32 g, 1 h.
Mysia, Cyzicus (group 2), AD 169-175.
Obv: ΦΑVϹΤEΙΝΑ ϹEΒΑϹΤΗ; draped bust of Faustina II, r.
Rev: ΚVΖΙΚΗΝΩΝ ΝЄOΚΟΡ; nude Hermes standing facing, head left, holding purse, caduceus and chlamys.
Refs: RPC IV.2 699 (temp); SNG Cop 115; Mionnet Suppl. 5, p. 225, 270.

• Like 8
  • Cool Think 1

• 2 weeks later...

This thread needs a bump!

Manlia Scantilla IVNO REGINA sestertius A.jpg
Manlia Scantilla, wife of Didius Julianus, Augusta, AD 193.
Roman Æ Sestertius; 28.8 mm, 22.62 g, 12 h.
Rome mint, AD 193.
Obv: MANLIA•SCAN-TILLA•AVG, draped bust right.
Rev: IVNO REGINA SC, Juno standing left, holding patera and scepter; to left, peacock at feet, standing left, head turned up.
Refs: RIC 18a; BMCRE 32-36; Cohen 6; RCV 6083; Woodward, Didius, dies 6/-; Banti 2.

• Like 8
  • Cool Think 1

normal_Antoninus_Pius_R604fac.jpg.55bd5c582b11034c14dc0eb9a1317dbe.jpg

Antoninus Pius
Galatia, Ancyra
Obv: ΑVΤ ΚΑΙ ΑΔΡΙ ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΩ ϹΕΒ ΠΙΩ, bare head of Antoninus Pius, r.
Rev: Η ΜΗΤΡΟΠΟΛΙϹ ΤΗϹ ΓΑΛΑΤΙΑϹ ΑΝΚVΡΑ, Amazon standing, r., wearing tall head-dress, holding double axe, pelta and anchor
Æ, 28mm, 12.43g
Ref.: RPC IV 5686 (temporary)

• Like 8
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1

Almost as hot as that video (to me anyway) is this Verus form the rare city of Coropissus.

Coropissus.jpg.4d198b49ffa17d688b5955ef7d073cd6.jpg

Cilicia, Coropissus. Lucius Verus Æ29

Obv: ΑVΤΟ ΚΑΙϹ?Α?[ ]Λ ΑVΡΗ ΟV[; laureate head of Lucius Verus with traces of drapery, r.
Rev: ΚΟΡΟΠΙϹϹƐⲰΝ ΚΗΤⲰΝ Μ[; Zeus standing, l., holding patera over eagle and long sceptre.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Obverse is a bit weak with a descent reverse from the city of Pessinus in Galatia.

pess.jpg.a4730b308013d9b03819c37706fa1919.jpg

Galatia, Pessinus. Julia Domna AE22

Obv: IOYΛIA ΔOMNA CЄBA - Draped bust of Julia Domna to right.
Rev: ΠЄCCINOVNTIΩN. Athena standing left, holding spear and resting on shield.
Not recorded in the standard references.

Edited by AncientOne
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1