I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

No Doubt

and a coin that is undoubtedly old:

normal_Pergamon_35.jpg.7e1f47e385730770161effc7bd81a06b.jpg

Mysia, Pergamon
AE18, 3rd century BC
Obv: Helmeted head of Athena left. (countermark on helmet)
Rev: ΠΕΡΓA, Head and neck of bull left, owl right, monogram above
AE, 4.48g, 17x18mm
SNG Copenhagen 333; SNG France 1575, BMC Mysia p.112, 20-21

• Like 5

This Beatles-inspired (think "I want you/she's so heavy") Cheap Trick classic is my earworm today.

And here's an oldie -- purchased from Forum about 20 years ago.

[IMG]
Agrippina I, wife of Germanicus, 14 BC - AD 33
Roman AE Sestertius 27.92 gm, 34.8 mm, 7 h
Rome mint. Struck under Claudius, 42-54 AD
Obv: AGRIPPINA M F GERMANICI CAESARIS, bare-headed and draped bust right.
Rev: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GERM P M TR P IMP P P around large SC.
Refs: RIC I 102 (Claudius); BMCRE 219 (Claudius); Cohen 3.

• Like 5

The Carthaginians, by Telefís, from the upcoming A Dó album - sadly, it'll be the last from Cathal Coughlan, as he died in May shortly after completing recording.

Some interesting clips on the video - from showbands, to Nun Attax, The Virgin Prunes, Microdisney and U2.

Here's a Carthaginian coin to go with it.

Coin: Gold Stater
- Head of Tanit (Kore-Persephone) left, wearing barley-wreath, bar and triple pendant earrings and necklace with pendants
- Unbridled horse standing right
Mint: Carthage (ca. 350-320 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 9.12g / 19mm / 0h
References:
  • Jenkins-Lewis Group III
  • MAA 4
Provenances:
  • Ex. M.J. Collection
Acquisition: Naville Numismatics Online Auction NN Live 54 #47 15-Dec-2019

spacer.png

spacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

newer version of an old tune

and an old coin

normal_FR017_fac.jpg.c8d196dc21606277c84dcde840d276cd.jpg

Freiburg im Breisgau
AR Brakteat
AD 1498
Obv.: Head of raven left within closed circle and dotted circle
Rev.: -
AR, 0.31g, 17.4mm
Ref.: Freiburger Münzen und Medaillen No. 14

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 5

An old tune ...

... and the second coin I ever purchased.

2144247379_NeroandPoppaeaAlexandria.jpg.5cf0b4dd152c427ebf37c600862343f1.jpg

Nero and Poppaea Sabina.
Roman provincial billon Tetradrachm; 23.1 mm, 11.55 g.
Egypt, Alexandria, AD 64/65.
Obv: ΝΕΡΩ ΚΛΑV ΚΑΙΣ ΣΕΒ ΓΕΡ ΑV, radiate head of Nero, right.
Rev: ΠΟΠΠΑΙΑ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΗ, draped bust of Poppaea, right, LIA (year 11) before.
Refs: RCV 2002; SGI 664; RPC 5280; Köln 168; BMCG 124; Milne 223; Curtis 138; Cohen 315, 3; Emmett 128.

• Like 5
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

While in the classical mode, here's some tempest-tossed music.  Two selections here, Beethoven and Richard Strauss - a storm for every occasion! 

The Beethoven sonata is his opus 31, number 2, subtitled the "Tempest Sonata".

The Strauss piece is an excerpt from his musical tone poem An Alpine Symphony.  I'm also including the full version. The late romantic composers often scored their works for very large orchestras, this is especially true for Strauss and Mahler.

Hesse-Kassel, Willow or Storm thaler, Wilhelm V, 1630.  

1260682464_D-CameraHesse-KasselThalerWillowWilhelmV163028.8gKM115.1Worldwide5-2-21.jpg.a12d13961b99ac278adc8e90e61772f8.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1

[IMG]
Antoninus Pius, AD 138-161.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 23.16 g, 29 mm.
Rome, AD 142.
Obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III, laureate head right.
Rev: ANNONA AVG S C, Annona standing right, between modius and prow, holding corn ears and out-turned cornucopiae.
Refs: RIC 597; BMCRE 1228; Cohen 37; RCV 4147; UCR 502.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

@Roman Collector, that will always be my all-time favorite Earth, WInd and Fire album, not to mention one, At Least, of the very best tracks.

Retro is Good!!!

...I'm curious, though, on an example with that kind of (beautiful) patination, how can you tell it's orichalcum?  Is it as easy as that being how it's catalogued?

Here's my fractional Norman Sicilian follaro, with the lion on one side and (always literate) Kufic on the other.  Easily by the late 12th century, the princes were routinely being given Muslim and Jewish tutors.  (William II, the Good, 1166-1189.)

2269932_1634290416.jpg

And, from maybe a year or two after That's the Way Of the World, some Burning Spear.  I have to wonder whether, along with the King James Bible (traditional preference of Rastas), Winston Rodney had read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

https://open.spotify.com/search/burning spear don't kill the lion

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

@Roman Collector, that will always be my all-time favorite Earth, WInd and Fire album, not to mention one, At Least, of the very best tracks.

Retro is Good!!!

...I'm curious, though, on an example with that kind of (beautiful) patination, how can you tell it's orichalcum? 

Isn't that a wonderful album?

In contrast to middle bronzes, which may be copper in the case of the as and orichalcum in the case of the dupondius, all sestertii were made of orichalcum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks, @Roman Collector, for your elucidation about orichalcum for sestertii.  I never once knew that.    

Anecdotally, you sent me scrambling to my extant (ahem) 1974 edition of Sear.  In which, neither the introduction nor the listings I looked at said anything about the composition of the operant denominations, beyond (wait for it...drum-roll, please) 'AE.'

Yes, from here, this was brand-new information.  Thanks again.

• Like 2

• Benefactor

Here's a 3 gulden from 1794.  Beethoven was a young man, still establishing himself in the musical scene in Vienna.  It was Beethoven who was a major factor in the establishment of the romantic movement in music and art.  

This opening is really just a means for me to introduce my favorite piano concerto of his, number 3.  Number 5, "The Emperor" gets all the press and public accolades, but for me the shifting textures and dynamics of the third, especially as performed here, is quintessential Beethoven.  For those with the time I think it is well worth a listen.  The cadenza is wonderful!

Netherlands, West Friesland, 3 gulden, 1794.  Ex Money Co 1980.

Dav. 1853

31.54 grams

29350688_D-CameraWestFriesland3gulden1794Dav.185331.54gramsexMoneyCo1980-13-24-22.jpg.b7a9eb925ef5b0efe2a02fd740372955.jpg

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

• 2 weeks later...

And an old coin ...

[IMG]

Caracalla, AD 198-217.
Roman AR denarius, 2.9g, 19mm, 6h.
Rome, issue 10, AD 217.
Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM, laureate head right.
Rev: PM TRP XX COS IIII PP; Serapis, wearing polos on head, standing facing, head left, holding wreath and scepter.
Refs: RIC 289c; BMCRE 188; Cohen/RSC 382; RCV 6846; Hill 1586.
  • Like 7

I've been an admirer of Benjamin Franklin for a long time & bought this 1958 Franklin half dollar pictured below strictly as piece of a "eye candy". I taxed my brain to find a song from 1958 that would go with the phrase "eye candy", & found a pretty good match 😏. In 1958 the Chordettes made a supper hit with the song "Lollipop", & this song remained popular throughout the 1960s. Have a good chuckle & enjoy ☺️.

1013326871_1958FranklinProof.jpg.fd6360a2456cced63aff16278518a012.jpg

Edited by Al Kowsky
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

• Benefactor

This time it is J. S. Bach, specifically his English Suites, composed around 1713-1714.  This is a wonderful recording of the complete suites by Andras Schiff, performed in 2003 in Budapest.  The recording is over one hour and forty-five minutes, with all six suites,, but you can always pick and choose, as the situation or mood dictates.  

While not dated within 1713-1714, this Lima 8 escudos dated 1715 is close enough, and a fine representative of the later Baroque Period.  This the best example I own.

1220566631_D-CameraLima8escudos1715AssayerM26.8gpartialseconddateSedwick2001KM38.26-21-22.jpg.23d5d811c5c1097087206fdf6147c595.jpg

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

@robinjojo, thank you Hugely for the Bach, and the Andras Schiff --nearly as resonant for its historical context as for the performance itself. 

...It gets to be true, I'm mostly an 'original instruments' guy, where Baroque is concerned, Bach included.  But Bach is as transcendant as people say he is.  (Edit:)  Nina Simone, who began life as an accomplished classical pianist, never stopped loving him.  (End of edit.)  Anecdotally, I really like how Schiff, like other interpreters of Bach on piano, keeps his feet off the pedals, as if to tacitly acknowledge, even to that extent, that harpsichords have their own tonal esthetic.  --And, why lie, I can't not like Glen Gould.

...On the other hand, here's my all-time favorite prelude from Couperin's l'Art de Toucher de Clavecin, by the musicologist, harpsichordist, organist and conductor, Gustav Leonhardt.  This can show you something of how people were able to produce almost pianistic effects from the harpsichord.  I'm reminded of all the incredible monumental architecture, from the pyramids to the Gothic cathedrals, that was achieved with nothing but the available technology.

Wait, first, a denier of Louis VII, of Bourges.

image.jpeg.e6eb7c7938c2ff377d2ad7d063d85358.jpeg

image.jpeg.c4227f7d78ddc7b412ff335f0fac8376.jpeg

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 6

• Benefactor

Well, hello ...

Ummm, I haven't tossed-in an ol' tune and/or an ol' song in quite a while, so here's a happy little tune ...

KINGS of COMMAGENE

Antiochos IV Epiphanes Æ28

AD 38-72

Diameter: 28 mm

Weight: 15.57 grams

Obverse: Diademed and draped bust right

Reverse: Scorpion within wreath

Reference: RPC I 3854; AC 199 (obv. legend)

Other: 12h … earthen brown patina, rubbed on the high points, two long scratches near obverse edge (sweet blue-green toning)

Ex-stevex6

Kings of Commagene.jpg

cheers, coiners

Hi

Edited by Steve
  • Like 7
  • Cry 1

• Benefactor

Ummm, I must be in a bit of a down-mood? (oh well, it's a very cool tune)

... oh, and a very cool coin as well ... 

Marius, Romano-Gallic Emperor, Antoninianus

Treveri (Trier) mint

2nd emission, mid AD 269

Diameter: 18 mm

Weight: 2.79 grams

Obverse: Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right

Reverse: Clasped hands

Reference: RIC V 7; AGK 3b

Other: 6h … brown surfaces with traces of silvering

Ex-stevex6 … From the estate of Thomas Bentley Cederlind

Marius.jpg

Edited by Steve