I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

4 hours ago, robinjojo said:

Well, we're nearly half way through September, so how about a coin and an old song, performed by the incomparable Ella Fitzgerald,  and a piano piece by Tchaikovsky to commemorate this month ?

Septimius Severus, tetradrachm, Laodicea ad Mare, 209-211 AD.  From Roma E-Sale 75, Lot 485.

15.42 grams

310152206_D-CameraSeptimiusSeverustetLaodiceaadMare209-11AD15.42gRoma754859-17-21.jpg.2c05af566b44ae297e5c7b59fd69a801.jpg

@robinjojo, if I had one representative Roman tetradrachm, I'd want it to look ike that.

And you're owed personal thanks for the Ella.  I grew up with my mom's LPs of her.  Kind of amazing how she could be equally fluent in scatting, and this bewitching pitch of lyricism.  Thanks for making me love her all over again.

I'd never heard the Tchaikovsky, but it had to remind me of William Byrd's The Marche of the Footemen, from his suite, The Battell.  The faster tempo of this reading emphasizes the descriptive character of the whole piece.  As if Byrd was anticipating the programmatic nature of that much French Baroque keyboard music, from the earlier 17th century onwards.

And a coin to go with:

image.jpeg.68fec823b1a295cfbfafaaea103abfec.jpeg

Flanders: Bruges.  AR petit denier, Ghyssens ‘deuxiéme periode,’ c. 1180-1220.
Obv.  Soldier in mail hauberk advancing left, on foot (later variants show him spurred, suggesting a dismounted knight), brandishing a sword and carrying a large shield, of a type common to the later 12th century (transitioning from Norman ones seen on the Bayeux Tapestry.)
Rev. Cross, decorated with pellets.  
(Ghyssens p. 107, 239; cf. De Wit 1254, p. 397 for a summary of Ghyssen’s chronology.)
The shield shows half of a recognizable, distinctly early heraldic device: three chevrons.  This corresponds to the arms of Hainaut, suggesting that this issue initially dates to the comital reign of Baldwin, 1191-1194.  This 17th-century illustration shows Baldwin and his wife, Margaret of Flanders, with the chevrons of Hainaut above, and the lion of Flanders below.

Fwre8WqgOV7z7MQKzPrkSQnmXO5hneHncqCW11ksqIHAdLW3IWJHi6ThY4BHMiQuK8UVJgpqe4s8VGq4TYSfQCJVGFYr9_eQHhNk5BfTW-RgTY_jJvmb3KEdW2rLSKU3Mn8_nWT4DstkG3HsTbazwWS_p51ApftagL3bv9XPCJq2wrpvy0o-1OOE

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 11

• Benefactor

1 hour ago, JeandAcre said:

@robinjojo, if I had one representative Roman tetradrachm, I'd want it to look ike that.

And you're owed personal thanks for the Ella.  I grew up with my mom's LPs of her.  Kind of amazing how she could be equally fluent in scatting, and this bewitching pitch of lyricism.  Thanks for making me love her all over again.

I'd never heard the Tchaikovsky, but it had to remind me of William Byrd's The Marche of the Footmen, from his suite, The Battell.  The faster tempo of this reading emphasizes the descriptive character of the whole piece.  As if Byrd was anticipating the programmatic nature of that much French Baroque keyboard music, from the earlier 17th century onwards.

And a coin to go with:

image.jpeg.68fec823b1a295cfbfafaaea103abfec.jpeg

Flanders: Bruges.  AR petit denier, Ghyssens ‘deuxiéme periode,’ c. 1180-1220.
Obv.  Soldier in mail hauberk advancing left, on foot (later variants show him spurred, suggesting a dismounted knight), brandishing a sword and carrying a large shield, of a type common to the later 12th century (transitioning from Norman ones seen on the Bayeux Tapestry.)
Rev. Cross, decorated with pellets.  
(Ghyssens p. 107, 239; cf. De Wit 1254, p. 397 for a summary of Ghyssen’s chronology.)
The shield shows half of a recognizable, distinctly early heraldic device: three chevrons.  This corresponds to the arms of Hainaut, suggesting that this issue initially dates to the comital reign of Baldwin, 1191-1194.  This 17th-century illustration shows Baldwin and his wife, Margaret of Flanders, with the chevrons of Hainaut above, and the lion of Flanders below.

Fwre8WqgOV7z7MQKzPrkSQnmXO5hneHncqCW11ksqIHAdLW3IWJHi6ThY4BHMiQuK8UVJgpqe4s8VGq4TYSfQCJVGFYr9_eQHhNk5BfTW-RgTY_jJvmb3KEdW2rLSKU3Mn8_nWT4DstkG3HsTbazwWS_p51ApftagL3bv9XPCJq2wrpvy0o-1OOE

You're very welcome, and thank you for the William Byrd link, classical early Baroque music.  

It is hard to describe the voice of Ella Fitzgerald.  It has a quality of richness and range of tonal depth that just envelopes the listener.  Pair that voice to an incredibly beautiful song and all I can say is "Wow"!

• Like 3
  • Yes 1

@Roman Collector, this is not about pestering you, personally.  But, however hypothetically, I'd love to have a parallel translation of the text of this.  I'll try and find it online.

From here, this has to evoke the last week or so of Charlie Parker's life, in 1955.  A Muslim in his acquaintance (Sunni, I'll bet money I don't have) showed up at his apartment.  He started reading from the Quran.  Charlie Parker finally had to say something like, 'Stop; it's Too Beautiful.'  (This from the same guy who, when he was in Paris, on tour, said to Jean-Paul Sartre, 'I like your playing very much.'  Nope, he probably read him in translation, just like I did, but, Still....)

...Well, sure, why not.  A harness pendant, c. mid-13th c. with the Hohenstaufen double-headed eagle (UK detector find):

image.jpeg.84b7ef6d6609c5223c35d91163e86542.jpeg

And an old favorite of mine, 'Chasin' the Bird,' featuring Miles Davis as a teenage prodigy, right, on trumpet:

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 8

Old tune? At least it is black and white an the original composition is from Melchior Vulpius around the year 1600

old coin

normal_Gallienus_11.jpg.4287f935e6e66df87cb90e2bb272dcae.jpg

Gallienus AD 253-268
Antoninianus, Mediolanum mint, AD 260-268
Obv.: GALLIENUS AVG, Radiate head right, light drapery on shoulder
Rev.: VIRTUS AVG, Soldier standing left, right hand resting on shield, left holding spear, S in ex
2.59g, 21.3mm
Ref.: RIC 534K var, Göbl 1150k

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 8
  • Clap 1

5 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

@Roman Collector, this is not about pestering you, personally.  But, however hypothetically, I'd love to have a parallel translation of the text of this.  I'll try and find it online.

From here, this has to evoke the last week or so of Charlie Parker's life, in 1955.  A Muslim in his acquaintance (Sunni, I'll bet money I don't have) showed up at his apartment.  He started reading from the Quran.  Charlie Parker finally had to say something like, 'Stop; it's Too Beautiful.'  (This from the same guy who, when he was in Paris, on tour, said to Jean-Paul Sartre, 'I like your playing very much.'  Nope, he probably read him in translation, just like I did, but, Still....)

...Well, sure, why not.  A harness pendant, c. mid-13th c. with the Hohenstaufen double-headed eagle (UK detector find):

image.jpeg.84b7ef6d6609c5223c35d91163e86542.jpeg

And an old favorite of mine, 'Chasin' the Bird,' featuring Miles Davis as a teenage prodigy, right, on trumpet:

You may read an English translation of Columba Aspexit here.

• Thanks 1

This tune is definitely old 🤣 But there aren't too many opportunities to post a coin from the (alleged) composer...

Henry VIII Second Coinage Groat, 1526-1544
image.png.c19a624ae682abed08084b92ab880534.pngTower. Silver, 2.77g. Bust D; HENRIC VIII D G R AGLIE Z FRANC, mintmark arrow. Quartered shield of arms over long cross fourchée, saltire in each fork; POSVI DEU ADIVTORE MEU (S 2337E).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Celebrating the month of ZEPP-tember!!

[IMG]
Cornelia Salonina, AD 253-268
Roman billon antoninianus, 3.54 g, 22.4 mm
Rome, sole reign of Gallienus, AD 260-262
Obv: SALONINA AVG, diademed and draped bust right on crescent
Rev: PVDICITIA, Pudicitia standing left, drawing veil from face and holding transverse scepter; officina mark Q (=4) in field, right
Refs: RIC 24; Cohen 92; RCV 10648

• Like 9

A Hooverphonic  song from the year 2000

and a striped animal for a striped dress

normal_gallienus_2.jpg.fa43c954f86179bfff9c14ad9d40eb55.jpg

Gallienus
Antoninian Rom
Obv.: GALLIENVS AVG, Bust right
Rev.: LIBERO P CONS AVG, Tigress walking left
3.11g, 20 mm
Ref.: RIC 230, MIR 713b

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 8

I've never song-posted before, but I am obsessed with this version of The White Stripe's "Seven Nation Army" in Attic Greek.  I hope this hasn't already been posted...there's a lot of pages in this post!  

This has subtitles - Greek-English, which is helpful - and you can see the modifications they made to keep things "ancient."  It also shows how completely off my efforts to pronounce Greek are!  Instrumentation is antique too: 

As for the coin, a random drachm of the Alexander type - he took on 7 nations, at least: 

2061929446_Macedon-AlexDrachmAntigonasIJan2019(1).jpg.fa601e9670b1b78fa8d3264208bdd371.jpg

• Like 8
  • Laugh 1
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, AncientOne said:

Marcin Patrzalek.  Kids these days....

Clipboard_10.jpg.65c2d125306a580aba5490fd09e03d7d.jpg

Phrygia, Eumeneia - Fulvia. AE23. AD 193-230.

Obv: ΙΕΡΑ CYNKΛHTOC, bare-headed, draped bust of the Senate right.
Rev: EYMENEΩN AXAIΩN, cult image of Artemis Ephesia facing, between two stags.
RPC VIII, — (unassigned; ID 20608)

Wow, that’s some shredder! Touché Jimmy Page

Edited by Etcherdude
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

France's most famous tooth gap :classic_smile:

and a coin from France

normal_Decentius_R182.jpg.fd66bbe2fc5849199974d4562c4bb8f2.jpg

Decentius
Maiorina, AD 350-353, Lyon - Lugdunum
Obv.: D N DECENTIVS NOB CAES, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev.: VICTORIAE DD NN AVG ET CAE / RSLG. Two Victories holding wreath inscribed VOT / V / MVL / X.
AE, 5.52g, 21.7x23.3mm
Ref.: RIC 122

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 9
  • Smile 1

Another for ZEPP-tember!

Here's an old one in my collection, acquired about 20 years ago.

16326087_SeverinaSisciaCONCORDIAEMILITVMAntoninianus.jpg.4c2c428f3dd9a7ac3d7c68a8bea5fc30.jpg
Severina, AD 270-275.
Roman billon antoninianus, 4.49 gm, 22.1 mm.
Siscia, AD 275-275, issue 9.
Obv: SEVERINAE AVG, diademed and draped bust right on crescent.
Rev: CONCORDIAE MILITVM, Concordia standing left, holding two legionary standards; in exergue: TXXI.
Refs: RIC 13; MER/RIC 2405; Cohen 8; MIR 237; RCV 11706.

• Like 7

I'm feeling kind of Zepped out, for this minute.  Some J. J. Cale, by way of moderating the tempo and volume.  :<}

https://open.spotify.com/search/j j cale thirteen days

And a harness pendant, UK detector find; Edward I -early III, but likeliest from the retinue of the earliest, most obvious suspect.

image.jpeg.3a960329993e7d4a4ddc4a482c4ead5e.jpeg

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This is a little ethereal.

image.png.6ca37e0570ced850a53debfe9b43d2c8.png

Iulius Caesar. Denarius Spain 46-45, AR 18mm., 3.68g. Diademed head of Venus r.; behind, Cupid. Rev. Two captives seated at sides of trophy with oval shield and carnyx in each hand; in exergue, CAESAR. Babelon Julia 11. C. 13. Sydenham 1014. Sear Imperators 58. RBW 1639. Crawford 468/1.

So we have Venus and Cupid and two slaves on the reverse.

I met Bryan Ferry 48 years ago and I am attending a 50th anniversary concert in Manchester UK on October 12th.

Where did all those years go..........

Enjoy.

Edited by Dafydd
grammatical error
  • Like 9

On 9/16/2022 at 4:09 PM, Magnus Maximus said:

Yma o Hyd is a lovely Welsh song that mentions Magnus Maximus. Maximus is considered something of a founding father to the Welsh. 

263E2277-BBA2-4920-9EC9-053C526667DB.jpeg.ad9a254fac1d2301a6aca43b12853f79.jpeg
Magnus Maximus AR Siliqua 

2.11 Grams

Trier mint 

A meme of Chaddicus Maximus 

D17948BB-C203-4A1F-B7A9-3017317C6C66.jpeg.32e24e0b86c68f048879a6578dda4909.jpeg

I just saw this amazing post so thought I would post the translation as not many of our members speak Welsh!

Yma o Hyd lyrics in full

Dwyt ti'm yn cofio Macsen

Does neb yn ei nabod o

Mae mil a chwe chant o flynyddoedd

Yn amser rhy hir i'r co'

Pan aeth Magnus Maximus o Gymru

Yn y flwyddyn tri-chant-wyth-tri

A'n gadael yn genedl gyfan

A heddiw: wele ni!

(You don't remember Macsen,

nobody knows him.

One thousand and six hundred years,

a time too long to remember.

When Magnus Maximus left Wales,

in the year 383,

leaving us a whole nation,

and today - look at us!)

Ry'n ni yma o hyd

Ry'n ni yma o hyd

Er gwaetha pawb a phopeth

Ry'n ni yma o hyd

Ry'n ni yma o hyd

Ry'n ni yma o hyd

(We are still here,

we are still here,

in spite of everyone and everything,

in spite of everyone and everything.

We are still here,

we are still here,

in spite of everyone and everything.

We are still here.)

Chwythed y gwynt o'r Dwyrain

Rhued y storm o'r môr

Hollted y mellt yr wybren

A gwaedded y daran encôr

Llifed dagrau'r gwangalon

A llyfed y taeog y llawr

Er dued yw'r fagddu o'n cwmpas

Ry'n ni'n barod am doriad y wawr!

(Let the wind blow from the East,

let the storm roar from the sea,

let the lightning split the heavens,

and the thunder shout "encore!"

Let the tears of the faint-hearted flow,

and the servile lick the floor.

Despite the blackness around us,

we are ready for the breaking of the dawn!)

Cofiwn i Facsen Wledig

Adael ein gwlad yn un darn

A bloeddiwn gerbron y gwledydd

Mi fyddwn yma tan Ddydd y Farn!

Er gwaetha pob Dic Siôn Dafydd

Er gwaetha 'rhen Fagi a'i chriw

Byddwn yma hyd ddiwedd amser

A bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw!

(We remember that Macsen the Emperor

left our country in one whole piece.

And we shall shout before the nations,

"We'll be here until Judgement Day!"

Despite every Dic Siôn Dafydd,

despite old Maggie and her crew,

we'll be here until the end of time,

and the Welsh language will be alive!)

Maggie refers to Margaret Thatcher who was the Nemesis of Welsh Coal Mining.

• Like 7
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1

Here's an old tune!

And a coin I've had for quite a while.

274986298_ClaudiaLeucasHeliosandSelene.jpg.358ae2c1d887310cb8483d1c96d9de83.jpg

Pseudo-autonomous issue, AD 50-117.*
Roman Provincial Æ 15.2 mm, 3.06 g, 2 h.
Syria: Coele-Syria, Claudia Leucas (Balanea), AD 50-117.
Obv: ΛΕVΚΑΔΙⲰΝ, radiate male head, right.
Rev: ΤⲰΝ ΚΑI ΚΛΑVΔΙΑΙⲰΝ, female head, right, wearing crescent.
Refs: SGI 508; BMC 20, p. 296, no. 1, pl. XXXVII, 1; Lindgren I 2180; RPC I 4465.

*RPC I (p. 640) notes:

The heads are often identified as Agrippina and Claudius (BMC; Mionnet; Seyrig on the tickets under his coins), but a simple radiate head, presumably of Helios, had occurred under Antony (4458). Imhoof-Blumer noted a similarity with heads of Trajan, but still preferred to date the coin to the period of Claudius or Nero (GRMK, p. 236), perhaps because he thought that the coin came from Apamea, whose coinage ended under Claudius. The origin of the identification as Claudius and Agrippina seems to go back to the misreading of ΤⲰΝ as ΘΠ (de Saulcy, p. 22, nos 5–6); the date 89 would, on an era of 37, be AD 52.

Others prefer to consider this a pseudo-autonomous issue depicting Helios and Selene.
Edited by Roman Collector
  • Like 7