What is a coin that you really want to get, but just haven't gotten around to yet?

ComicMan

You were outbid at auction, there are no nice types on Vcoins, something else came up and ate your budget, etc.

What is something that you have wanted for some time, but managed to elude you until now?

I would love a nice beareded Julian siliqua.

4545_17597.jpg

I also love this design on the coins of Histiaia, but I never made it a priority at auctions. I could probably pick up one pretty easily because they are quite common.

wY5P6gTXL7okMFt93zLEmB2g82SxR4.jpg

• Like 16
  • Cookie 1

• Benefactor

For me, a decent Ptolemy IV drachm ("hockey puck"). I've also debated sizing up to an octobol.

I once put in a half-hearted bid, but didn't pursue it because I had higher targets at the auction. Perhaps when my pri 2 list gets down enough I'll spring for one.

Similarly, I've been tempted on an Antiochos II tet for some time. Fair copies have been cheap lately, though I'd want a decent one to match my Antiochos I tet.

985097059_antiochossoter.jpg.c0b386271d49153509db7a8476faa171.jpg

• Like 15

These are some of the coins I could buy now, but waiting for an example to 'speak to me'. 

Julia Domna with Venus reverse- all the coins right now I see has her 🍑 worn, I need it plump!

A tetradrachm of her son Caracalla with a fierce look- still looking for one

Australian Half sovereign coin- it would complete my Australian pre-decimal type set, still waiting for the right moment to pull the trigger.

Any Titus coin from his reign, so far I only have a denarius of him as Caesar under Vespasian and a Domitian as Caesar denarius under Titus. 

May be an upgrade to my Athens owl tetradrachm, but I couldn't bring my self to pay huge for silver coins yet. 

Also I'm always on the look to add my first gold from the United states (preferably pre-33).

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 11

Here are two I would dearly love ...assuming I were to live long enough.

...Hang on One Little Minute!  This is from our very own @quant.geek!

Aksumite Empire: Armah (ca. 630-650) Æ Unit (Hahn, Aksumite 72a; Munro-Hay Type 153; BMC Axum 577) Obv: ነገሠ አረመሐ ([i]neguš ’ArmaH; King Armah[/i]); Crowned and draped full-length figure of Armah, wearing beaded necklace, enthroned right, holding cruciform scepter Rev: ፈሠሐ ለየከነ ለአሐዘበ ([i]feššeHá la-yekun la-’aHzáb; Let there be joy to the people[/i]); Openwork cross with central gilding connected to ring by stem; wheat stalks emerging from ring

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-127066

Armah is of record in primary sources as having given refuge to a branch of the earliest Muslims, during Mohammed's own hejira.  Given that Aksum had been Christian for somewhere between a quarter millennium and three centuries (depending on whose, inexorably secondary-source chronology you consider the most reliable), I have to admire his chillness.  That early, monotheism counted for a lot, all by itself.

And something from the counts of Boulogne, anywhere near as resonantly cool as as this: 

2529060_1643623508.jpg

https://www.biddr.com/auctions/alfanumismatics/browse?a=2290&l=2529060

I need the counts of Boulogne for having begun life in a funly small corner of northeastern France, but with conspicuously late  Carolingian descent --precociously so, for lower-mid-range French aristocracy as early as the 11th century.  Dynastically, they eventuated in King Stephen of Blois.  --No, I meant of England (1135-1154).  The sheer artistry of the modified 'CAROLVS /KAROLVS' monogram is without easy parallel, among the innumerable immobilizations found in other earlier French feudal issues.  Yeah, I was outbid on this one, mainly because I wasn't ready to commit armed robbery.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 15
  • Yes 1

A Nero denarius. Don’t care for the type I just want it to be problem-free, good style, decent details, and most of all, have his name be clear and completely on the flan (something that is surprisingly difficult).

Any Vandal Kingdom siliqua. 

An AR penny of an Anglo-Saxon ruler.

Any Carolingian other than Charles the Bald and Louis the Pious. And coins that are definitively of Charlemagne and Charles the Fat (I have coins that are probably of them, but not 100% certain).

Edited by ValiantKnight
  • Like 9

What a fun question! And great coin ideas. Though, I love me some Julian two, last voice of sanity before the total take over. A siliqua of his I do not have. 

I do have several of the beautiful and popular nymphs:

2481081_1641892901.l-removebg-preview.png.9be56c8f919aa24da428b2ba4f4f2faa.png1666709145_Hirsch221Lot219.jpg.ce6ea40cb91af344fba14493c7d69f2a.jpg1380053_1600340160.l-removebg-preview.png.7768c8d10227944177c8a99236bdda72.png

As for what I haven't gotten yet that I've wanted for so long, we'll that just came in the mail earlier today!

Not only is it Gaius Caligula's sisters, but also a damnatio memoriae!

I wrote about it in a thread after winning this bad bitch. Bigger and chonkier than you think. Rewarding:

20230206_172136.jpg.8da418592c910013015bfb9cc68b001f.jpg20230206_172141.jpg.ca6ae3d0f5b6afd6146ed825c9a987e8.jpg

What's next? 

MSCs

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 15
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

Well...I really want a lifetime JC denarius, but to say I simply haven't gotten around to it yet suggests that it's currently within my means and I just need to take the time, which is not the case. 😉

Ditto Shekel of Tyre and Herod Antipas. 🙄

Someday I would also love to get one of those Ptolemaic tetradrachms with Alexander and elephant headskin, but those are more expensive still!

I suppose one coin within my means I'd like to get, but just haven't gotten around to it/found one I like enough, is a good portrait coin of Crispus. They are inexpensive enough that I can be ruthlessly picky about style, and the vast majority of his coins aren't what I'd consider good enough.

Hmmm...I will have to think of some others...

• Like 12

Easily for me it would have to be a lifetime, portrait denarius of Julius Caesar like the one below.  Sure they come up at auction fairly frequently, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on buying one.  I don't want a lesser specimen, so I know I'd be putting out a sizeable amount of cash to own one.

spacer.png

• Like 13
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 1

6 minutes ago, Cinco71 said:

Easily for me it would have to be a lifetime, portrait denarius of Julius Caesar like the one below.  Sure they come up at auction fairly frequently, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on buying one.  I don't want a lesser specimen, so I know I'd be putting out a sizeable amount of cash to own one.

spacer.png

100% ! I am in exactly the same position. It's a coin I really don't want to skimp on, but I know being choosy will come with a hefty price tag.  😬

Not too long ago I threw out a bid on this one, too low to win, but I enjoyed the novel experience of slapping down a $1.5K bid on a coin 😁 (Hammer was 2600 CHF, still not bad IMO):

00496q00.jpg.d309a5d588cfc9d701b2b38b6bde2e4e.jpg

• Like 12

A Hadrian denarius with Italy reverse, to complete my silver travel series. They come up often, but somehow I never bought / bid on it. 

Another one is a denarius of Caracalla as sole ruler. Too many coins available, but "they just don't do it for me ". 

• Like 5

@ComicMan - the good thing is that your targets are realistic.

A Histiaia coin was also on my wish list - I got a cheap tetrobol, that is not problem free, but better in hand (someday I need to take my own photos of all my coins) 

image.png.e44855c0e43f98098a56efad8ef521fc.png

My target coins are usually in the "realistic" prices area. I would afford a 500 euros coin (this sum would allow me to get an important coin but 1. still far from enough to get a legendary coin 2. I prefer buying 10 coins with this sum).  

I managed to purchase a lot of coins that were major targets for me for their importance/design since I started collecting. Just a few examples - Trajan denarii with Dacian warriors and Column; Domitian quadrans with the rhino; Tarsos stater with lion attacking bull; C. Mamilius Limetanus denarius with Ulysses; a Nero denarius with decent portrait, readable name and scarcer type; Mylasa hemiobol with lion/scorpion and many, many others. 

One of the coins that I want and would be affordable in an average condition is a Thasos coin with the satyr and nymph. I would be happy with an example such as (random example)

image.png.8baf05660a924cecd2dc499a26b987fc.png

I had my eyes on one in an upcoming auction . It would have been a good candidate - decent details, probably would have obtained a decent hammer price but it was withdrawn. Not sure about the reason - but I can only assume something was not kosher with it. Will keep searching. They are not rare but so far the examples I found in auctions were too expensive or too ugly. Need to find the perfect example for my eyes and my wallet. 

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Cordoba said:

A demetrios tetradrachm. I passed up one being sold at Nomos, but in hindsight I wish I bid on it since it hammered for a pretty reasonable price. Luckily they pop up fairly often at auctions, but I'll for sure have to shell out for one

That's a nice one with the elephant hat! I do agree that the top one is nicer, I don't know anything about this type but the one on the bottom looks way less nice on both the obverse and the reverse.

7 hours ago, kirispupis said:

985097059_antiochossoter.jpg.c0b386271d49153509db7a8476faa171.jpg

That's a nice one! How big is it?

6 hours ago, Kali said:

An ancient coin featuring, Fulvia. I haven't found the "one", yet.

I hope you find one! I just saw this one on vcoins (Tom Vossen). A bit pricey though.

tLB64acDgW2rE7oWtyX93LqAaGE58k.jpg

7 hours ago, JayAg47 said:

Julia Domna with Venus reverse- all the coins right now I see has her 🍑 worn, I need it plump!

I get that, this will probably be one of the most important coins in your collection so you want to get it right!

6 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

Yeah, I was outbid on this one, mainly because I wasn't ready to commit armed robbery.

That is just weakness speaking, do it! Interesting coins though I do not collect medieval.

6 hours ago, ValiantKnight said:

Any Carolingian other than Charles the Bald and Louis the Pious. And coins that are definitively of Charlemagne and Charles the Fat (I have coins that are probably of them, but not 100% certain).

You actually have a (possible) Charlemagne? Aren't those pretty rare? That is cool.

6 hours ago, Ryro said:

I do have several of the beautiful and popular nymphs:

2481081_1641892901.l-removebg-preview.png.9be56c8f919aa24da428b2ba4f4f2faa.png1666709145_Hirsch221Lot219.jpg.ce6ea40cb91af344fba14493c7d69f2a.jpg1380053_1600340160.l-removebg-preview.png.7768c8d10227944177c8a99236bdda72.png

As for what I haven't gotten yet that I've wanted for so long, we'll that just came in the mail earlier today!

Not only is it Gaius Caligula's sisters, but also a damnatio memoriae!

I wrote about it in a thread after winning this bad bitch. Bigger and chonkier than you think. Rewarding:

Nice Nymphs! The first one is beautifully double-struck and the third one has an amazing portrait! Also great Caligula, going to read your thread on it.

6 hours ago, CPK said:

Well...I really want a lifetime JC denarius, but to say I simply haven't gotten around to it yet suggests that it's currently within my means and I just need to take the time, which is not the case. 😉

Ditto Shekel of Tyre and Herod Antipas. 🙄

Someday I would also love to get one of those Ptolemaic tetradrachms with Alexander and elephant headskin, but those are more expensive still!

I suppose one coin within my means I'd like to get, but just haven't gotten around to it/found one I like enough, is a good portrait coin of Crispus. They are inexpensive enough that I can be ruthlessly picky about style, and the vast majority of his coins aren't what I'd consider good enough.

Hmmm...I will have to think of some others...

Sounds like you too need some advice about armed robbery haha, but nice goals!

5 hours ago, Cinco71 said:

spacer.png

That's a really nice portrait!

1 hour ago, Limes said:

A Hadrian denarius with Italy reverse, to complete my silver travel series. They come up often, but somehow I never bought / bid on it. 

Another one is a denarius of Caracalla as sole ruler. Too many coins available, but "they just don't do it for me ". 

You have all the other provinces? As for Caracalla didn't he have a pet lion? Maybe you could look into a lion coin of his, of course he needs to be sufficiently angry looking on the obverse 😠

4 hours ago, AETHER said:

In a realistic realm, a Caesar elephant silver. 

I actually think those are almost as cool as the portraits, they just have very charming designs.

1 hour ago, ambr0zie said:

@ComicMan - the good thing is that your targets are realistic.

A Histiaia coin was also on my wish list - I got a cheap tetrobol, that is not problem free, but better in hand (someday I need to take my own photos of all my coins) 

image.png.e44855c0e43f98098a56efad8ef521fc.png

Thanks, and that is a cool one! Now that you mention it I would definitely go for a Trajan's column too without hesitation.

58 minutes ago, rhj959 said:

All I would like is a silver denarius of Caurasius

Wasn't the denarius already phased out by that point? Or did it still exist and that makes it rare or something?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1

2 hours ago, ComicMan said:

You have all the other provinces? As for Caracalla didn't he have a pet lion? Maybe you could look into a lion coin of his, of course he needs to be sufficiently angry looking on the obverse 😠

Silver only, but it depends how one defines the series. I don't collect the bronze issues, it's impossible to complete the series because some issues are extremely rare AND expensive... When it comes to the denarii, I have in the collection: Aegyptos, Africa, Galliae, Nilvs, Germania, Asia, Alexandria, Rest. Hispaniae. I think this is about it, in Silver. I also don't feel the need to include a coin with 'Hispania' only on it, without the restitutori. I know other members have more coins in this series. 

Caracalla: I already have two sestertii and one antoninianus, and a coin of him as Caesar together with Geta. So, obviously, I feel little incentive to go out a grab a denarius. I do however keep an eye out for the type you mention, it's a lovely type. Even better would be with Pluto and Cerberus on the reverse, but the denarii are far more scarce than the antoninianus. (As you can read I'm quite demanding when it comes to the coins I want 😁

• Like 4

17 hours ago, CPK said:

100% ! I am in exactly the same position. It's a coin I really don't want to skimp on, but I know being choosy will come with a hefty price tag.  😬

Not too long ago I threw out a bid on this one, too low to win, but I enjoyed the novel experience of slapping down a $1.5K bid on a coin 😁 (Hammer was 2600 CHF, still not bad IMO):

00496q00.jpg.d309a5d588cfc9d701b2b38b6bde2e4e.jpg

I think I bid on that same coin!  

• Like 3

Hadrian ADOPTIO denarius.

I missed out on this cheap example (£70) about a year ago by hesitating (for a mere 12 hours) due to condition and MONETA has punished me ever since by not offering an affordable example ANYWHERE since.  I presume that part of the hurt and irritation comes from the fact there hasn't even been any examples to reject. Instead, there has been a complete absence of availability which makes me regret the one that got away even more.

Römische Kaiserzeit Denar 117 n. Chr. Hadrianus, Büste / ADOPTIO, Traian und Hadrian reichen einander die Hand raue Oberfläche, etwas korrodiert, sonst VF-

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 7
  • Cry 2

On 2/6/2023 at 9:22 PM, Kali said:

An ancient coin featuring, Fulvia. I haven't found the "one", yet.

Ha, same! I've noticed the prices on her coins have gone up since Lucia Carbone's ANA talk on her. Have you read the Fulvia book by Schultz? I haven't yet but my wife loved it.