I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

It's still hot, another summer song:

For Sol

normal_Constantinus_I_R325_fac.jpg.9e40ed3248bf502472d62b8e7d838034.jpg

Constantinus I. (306-337)
Obv: : IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, Bust of Constantine I, laureate, draped, cuirassed, right
-Rev: SOLI INV- I -CTO COMITI, Sol, chlamys hanging behind, standing left, raising right hand and holding up globe in left hand-
AE, 3.27g, 19.6mm
Ref.: VI Rome 323a, p.388

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 4

more summer songs

normal_Maximinus_Daia_1.jpg.02c207dee679f97991bd5ed2b19d1626.jpg

Maximinus Daia (305-313)
Follis
Antiochia
Obv: IMP C GAL VAL MAXIMINVS P F AVG
laureate head right
Rev: GENIO AVGVSTI
Genio standing left holding radiate head of Sol and cornucopia, star left, B right
4,2g 21 mm.
Ref.: RIC 164b, C 21.

• Like 4

and a last summer song:

Enough songs for your summer party 😁

normal_G_396b.jpg.f5c270a51631e8988b5911feedc91120.jpg

Caria, Rhodes
Drachm (Circa 88/42 BC-AD 14).
Obv: Radiate head of Helios facing slightly right.
Rev: P – O, Rose seen from above. Control: below, grain ear left.
AR, 4.08g, 18mm
Ref.: HGC 6, 1456; SNG von Aulock 2839

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, shanxi said:

It's stool hot, another summer song:

For Sol

normal_Constantinus_I_R325_fac.jpg.9e40ed3248bf502472d62b8e7d838034.jpg

Constantinus I. (306-337)
Obv: : IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, Bust of Constantine I, laureate, draped, cuirassed, right
-Rev: SOLI INV- I -CTO COMITI, Sol, chlamys hanging behind, standing left, raising right hand and holding up globe in left hand-
AE, 3.27g, 19.6mm
Ref.: VI Rome 323a, p.388

@shanxi, I'm saying this confessionally, more than anything (...okay?).  But it still amazes me when people can sing in German, and make it sound like music!

• Like 1

As long as we're talking about hot German singers, I crushed big time on Nena when I was in college back in the day!

And as long as we're talking BIG HAIR ...

[IMG]
Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 19.44 g, 29.75 mm, 12 h.
Rome, AD 211-217.
Obv: IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG, bust of Julia Domna, draped and wearing stephane, right.
Rev: VESTA S C, Vesta seated left, holding simpulum in right hand and transverse scepter in left hand.
Refs: RIC 593; BMCRE 217-219; Cohen 228; RCV 7123; Hill 1460.

• Like 6

Valentinian dragging captive

944687353_ValentinianRomanEmperor364-375ADGallery.jpg.bc7404c65eeb76b38cc03bec7f3b9d84.jpg

Rich Stadium Buffalo NY July 4 1986 saw Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan and Tom Petty. Saw Dylan and the Dead many times but only saw Petty once and it was there. Sound was not so good for Dylan and Petty but the Dead put out a great show. It was blazing hot like these days are. On the black plastic covered field level.

• Like 3
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1

My Salonina - Pudicitia Seated is a deep glossy black or perhaps has a hint of Deep Purple color. I had to brighten the image to show details on coin.

no8G.jpg.7df62b24d8999ddfdb295746a49560d3.jpg

Saw Deep Purple at the Allentown Fairgrounds in June 1973. One of my earlier concerts.

Rather than show the old videos, I thought this drum cover to "Burn" was different.

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 5

Thank you JeandAcre for the kind words. You know, my whole world was music at one time. I hardly listen to it anymore but I find I have a sort of Tourette's syndrome thing going on. Mostly when I'm doing dishes or cooking and I just blurt out songs that I haven't heard in decades.

It could be anything from Donna Summer to Marty Robbins. Maybe my fillings are picking up something in the air. There is an under the cabinet radio over there in the corner.

• Laugh 1

7 minutes ago, thenickelguy said:

My Salonina - Pudicitia Seated is a deep glossy black or perhaps has a hint of Deep Purple color. I had to brighten the image to show details on coin.

no8G.jpg.7df62b24d8999ddfdb295746a49560d3.jpg

Saw Deep Purple at the Allentown Fairgrounds in June 1973. One of my earlier concerts.

Rather than show the old videos, I thought this drim cover to "Burn" was different.

Sweet coin.  Calling for some more old-timey Deep Purple.   Here's a first-reign penny of Edward IV, from Durham.

image.jpeg.685c3556d71519ca6c9c6dcbe86ef11a.jpeg

image.jpeg.b66ac168b69a9ee1a9427033a86092da.jpeg

And the requisite music.  Nope, I was in line to hear this again.  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, thenickelguy said:

Thank you JeandAcre for the kind words. You know, my whole world was music at one time. I hardly listen to it anymore but I find I have a sort of Tourette's syndrome thing going on. Mostly when I'm doing dishes or cooking and I just blurt out songs that I haven't heard in decades.

It could be anything from Donna Summer to Marty Robbins. Maybe my fillings are picking up something in the air. There is an under the cabinet radio over there in the corner.

@thenickelguy, I can only congratulate you on the quality of your ear-worms!  When I was sheltering in place, during the first year and a half of COVID, I would wake up with stuff I'd been subjected to from top-40 radio, over the entire course of the '70's, most of which I cordially hated when it was happening in real time.  (Um, this is confessional.  But, Carpenters --with apologies to anyone who needs the Carpenters-- and stuff on that kind of level.  Hell, ad jingles from tv, over the same period.  Sometimes it got truly scary.)

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 2

I hear The Carpenters sometimes

What to do with this hunk of Dolphin money? I looked at Phish but the drummer in a tie dye sun dress made me take a u turn tonight.

DolphinProtoMoney1G.JPG.dea6ad54eeab7ed112124693e09983c9.JPG

So I thought of Kingfish, a fantastic band of the mid 70's. I met Bob Weir at WSAN in Allentown after he did a little advert for the double show that night in 1976. Just a Howdy Do and a handshake. I just happened to be in the vicinity with a couple girls. We got tickets number 1,2 and 3 at the station then went for supper before the show. The amazing lead guitarist was Robbie Hoddinott who died a few years ago.

Speaking of Marty Robbins, they covered his Big Iron. The whole show was perfect.

Oh . . . and so was the second. Pretty much the same show which was really neat to hear it all over again.

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

...Thinking it's time for some more, along similar lines.  

D:\COINS, HEINRICH III, 2ND EX..jpg
German Empire; Salians.  Heinrich III, Worms.

And the music.  Watch (metaphorically) how the bassist is doing the lead, with the guitarist providing accompaniment.  This happens in a lot of the best '70's rock I've ever heard, from Deep Purple to Yes.

• Like 4
  • Cool Think 1

"It is AD 370, and Roman control over the Mediterranean has held for hundreds of years. Yet the glory days of the Pax Romana are long gone. Rome's power has atrophied considerably since the reign of Augustus, its decadent ruling classes and archaic command structures struggling to keep pace with the demands of a changing world. During the Crisis of the 3rd century AD, the Empire nearly collapsed, weighed down by a perfect storm of invasion, economic depression and civl war.

Yet the Empire survives in a new form since Diocletian's reforms with seperate centres of administration in the East and West. Nevertheless,the Roman aura of invincibility is crumbling. Peoples from across the Rhine and Danube rivers are becoming accustomed to raiding Roman territory, appropriating Roman valuables and scoring occasional victories against Roman armies. 

And in the East, unseen by all, a long shadow is looming. The Huns are coming!"

image.jpeg

Valens Siliqua 

AD 367-375

Trier mint 

2.21 grams

Edited by Magnus Maximus
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

"... with apologies to anyone who needs the Carpenters.

"Baby, baby, baby, baby, oh baby," etc.

There are more "babies" in this song than in Marcus and Faustina's household!

[IMG]
Faustina II, AD 147-175.
Roman AR denarius, 3.10 g, 17.7 mm, 5 h.
Rome, AD 161.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: TEMPOR FELIC, female figure, standing left, holding an infant in each arm; at either side, two children standing.
Refs: RIC 719; BMC 156-157; RSC 221; RCV 5263; CRE 179; MIR 31-4/10a.
Note: The coin well illustrates the "all-round legends" as used December 160 - 163.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

14 hours ago, Magnus Maximus said:

"It is AD 370, and Roman control over the Mediterranean has held for hundreds of years. Yet the glory days of the Pax Romana are long gone. Rome's power has atrophied considerably since the reign of Augustus, its decadent ruling classes and archaic command structures struggling to keep pace with the demands of a changing world. During the Crisis of the 3rd century AD, the Empire nearly collapsed, weighed down by a perfect storm of invasion, economic depression and civl war.

Yet the Empire survives in a new form since Diocletian's reforms with seperate centres of administration in the East and West. Nevertheless,the Roman aura of invincibility is crumbling. Peoples from across the Rhime and Danube rivers are becoming accustomed to raiding Roman territory, appropriating Roman valuables and scoring occasional victories against Roman armies. 

And in the East, unseen by all, a long shadow is looming. The Huns are coming!"

image.jpeg

Valens Siliqua 

AD 367-375

Trier mint 

2.21 grams

@Magnus Maximus, That's what we needed, some Tuvan throat singing!  Yes!!!!  Puts the concept of a video soundtrack on a whole new level.  (I used to do Kargyraa, Badly, until I gave up.)

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Oh my, flashbacks from my youth ... good times

ASIA MINOR, Uncertain (Ionia?). PB Tessera

1st-3rd centuries AD

Diameter: 14 mm

Weight: 3.07 grams

Obverse: Ant, ΓA IOV around

Reverse: Blank

Reference: Gülbay & Kireç

Other: super cool … a coin made of lead!

Ex-stevex6

Asia Minor Ionia Ant.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 3
  • Smile 1

Right, with thanks to @Steve for reminding me of this little detail:

image.jpeg.cb51215852c50c7b6a94849c1feb0fd4.jpeg

'Crusaders' /Frankish Levant.  Tancred as regent in Antioch for Bohemond I, 1101-3, 1104-13.  Malloy, CCS p. 199, No. 5; line drawing p. 200.  With intriguing, correspondingly mysterious overstriking on the obverse. Never mind the obvious imitation of Byzantine prototypes, and, Yeah, 'TA / NK' plain as good daylight on the reverse.

...Except, yep, this was another pretext for the music.  The first is from a very late piano roll of Scott Joplin; 'Silver Swan.'  Never published in his lifetime, and known only from one piano roll which, from memory, was found in someone's garage in Southern California in the 1970's. 

The second is from an Elizabethan song of the same name with which, likely enough, he would have been familiar, only starting with the lyrics.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 6:48 AM, AncientOne said:

Nice summer tunes @shanxi!   It's hot here too.

unknownProv_0.jpg.435400eb96e7c3cdc296b7853fddb445.jpg

Uncertain  AE16

Obv: Empress facing r.
Rev: Athena standing left, wearing Corinthian helm, holding transverse spear and resting hand on shield.

Here's why we need a 'kissy lips'  imogee.  --I'm shutting up, Right Now.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

Hey, it's almost hump-day-happy-hour, so here is a great tune by a fantastic band ... 

Otacilia Severa. Augusta, Æ Sestertius

AD 244-249

Secular Games issue., 4th officina. 9th emission of Philip I, AD 248

Rome mint

Diameter: 28 mm

Weight: 15.99 grams

Obverse: Draped bust right, wearing stephane

Reverse: Hippopotamus standing right

Reference: RIC IV 200a (Philip I); Banti 13

Other:12h … dark brown patina, with some red

Ex-stevex6 … Ex Robert O. Ebert Collection

Otac Hippo.jpg