I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

Great song and a unusal performance.

and a coin from Aigeai

Aigeai_01.jpg.c15f68d32c326ffc89a3f68fe77c3ec1.jpg

Kilikia, Aigeai
Æ 22, 130-77 BC
Obv.: Turreted, veiled, and draped bust of Tyche right
Rev.: ΑΙΓΕΑΙΩΝ ΤΗΣ ΙΕΡΑΣ ΚΑΙ ΑΥTONOMΟΥ, Forepart of horse left; monogram to right
Æ, 6.16g, 21-22mm
Ref.:SNG BN 2297, SNG Levante 1658

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 7
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor

Here is cool tune from a classic band ... 

=> it's a super cool "live" video (1987) ... worth watching (it'll take ya back 35 years)

Oh, and here is a very cool coin as well ... because ummm, that's what it's all about, right?

Cheers, coin-gang

Hi

LESBOS, Mytilene. EL Hekte – Sixth Stater

Circa 454-428/7 BC

Diameter: 10 mm

Weight: 2.44 grams

Obverse: Diademed head of Silenos right

Reverse: Two ram heads butting each other; palmette above; all in incuse square

Reference: Bodenstedt Em. 37; HGC 6, 963

Other: 6h … toned

Ex-stevex6 … From the Kallman Collection

Lesbos Silenos & Rams.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 8

• Benefactor

Well, it's Friday and my bro-in-law and his kids are arriving for a few summer vacation days (hopefully everything goes well)

Sadly, it is almost +40 degrees Celsius and the forest-fire smoke is starting to hang around! (man, the brutal lightning storm last night sure didn't help!)

image.png.5bb07853e6d1daa4d89f2efad6a074a5.png

... anyway ... wah, hopefully their visit goes well, right? (knock-on-wood)

Billy Joel - We Didn't Start the Fire (Official Video) - Bing video

=> here is a fire coin 

Cilicia, Tarsos AE22

Circa 100 BC

Diameter: 22 mm

Weight: 9.78 grams
Obverse: Turreted head of Tyche right, Countermark: Radiate head of Helios right (CM: Howgego 11? Hierapolis Phrygia circa 50AD)
Reverse: "TAPSEWN" Pyre of Sandan in the form of a pyramid, Sandan on a lion within
Reference: SNG Levante 951ff

Ex-stevex6

Cilicia Tarsos countermark.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 8

The music - Beethoven's first symphony. Largely glossed over today in favor of his more iconic works, the First is notwithstanding an impressive piece of music and was Beethoven's most popular symphony during his lifetime. 

The coin:

DSC_0884.JPG.7b48341e2a50bb1cd4dc382d921a8569.JPG

Okay it's not an ancient, but it's the closest coin I have that dates to the writing of the 1st Symphony (1800)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 12:22 PM, shanxi said:

Great song and a unusal performance.

and a coin from Aigeai

Aigeai_01.jpg.c15f68d32c326ffc89a3f68fe77c3ec1.jpg

Kilikia, Aigeai
Æ 22, 130-77 BC
Obv.: Turreted, veiled, and draped bust of Tyche right
Rev.: ΑΙΓΕΑΙΩΝ ΤΗΣ ΙΕΡΑΣ ΚΑΙ ΑΥTONOMΟΥ, Forepart of horse left; monogram to right
Æ, 6.16g, 21-22mm
Ref.:SNG BN 2297, SNG Levante 1658

Thanx, @shanxi, for the Sister Rosetta Tharpe.  --You're just That Good.

Venice, Pietro Ziani (Doge 1205-1229), Grosso, Yep, holed.  +.P.ZIANI S.M. VENETI DVX 

Rev. Christ enthroned, Byzantine stylie (sic, if you Iike reggae); IC XC

image.jpeg.e64d82442f7096a2bd63108497e3bade.jpeg

...More about sitting down and standing up:

• Like 7

Still experiencing Nena earworms. Tanz auf dem Vulkan ...

https://dai.ly/x8b8urr

... which reminds me of this!

[IMG]
Valerian I, AD 253-260.
Roman AR antoninianus, 2.69 g, 21.2 mm, 7 h.
Colonia Agrippina (Cologne) mint, AD 259-260.
Obv: VALERIANVS·P·F·AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: DEO VOLKANO, Vulcan standing left within tetrastyle temple, hammer raised in right hand, tongs downward in left.
Refs: RIC 5 (inaccurately attributed to the Lugdunum mint); Cohen 2 (inaccurately attributed to Valerian II); RSC 50c; Göbl 884d; Hunter IV 56; RCV 9934.

• Like 8

• Benefactor

Hi, coiners!

Well, it's a stat-holiday Monday, so the wife and I are both enjoying a beautiful day off (ummm, well I'm retired, so they're all sweet days off ... but this one is nice because I get to share it with my sweet wife)

She's a dozen years younger than me, so don't feel too sorry for her that she's still working like a dawg, while I'm puttering around the yard, living the Life o' Riley!

😉

... anyway ... 

It's a beautiful day off, so here is another great U2 song ... this was also one of our wedding songs

U2 - Beautiful Day (Official Music Video) - Bing video

Oh, and here is a pretty sweet lookin' coin as well 

=> Dom the Bomb

Domitian AR Denarius

Obverse: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P VII - Laureate head right

Reverse: IMP XIIII COS XIIII CENS P P P - Minerva standing left, holding thunderbolt and sceptre, shield at feet

Date: 88 AD

Diameter: 19.2 mm

Weight: 3.2 gram

References: RIC 109

Characteristics: Good style, details and toning

Ex-stevex6

Copy of domitiana.jpg

Copy of domitianb.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Steve
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

An Italian coin from from the 12th to 14th centuries and an Italian song from 1590. That's the best I can do on short notice.

1139_to_1339_ItalyGenoa_Gross_01.png.997f77efeb4e2770fa4653c7428cf796.png
1139_to_1339_ItalyGenoa_Gross_02.png.f75d03741544dc0de9ebb5496d86fe89.png
Italy, Republic of Genoa, 1139 - 1339 AR Gross ND
Obv: +.IA.NV.A. Castle view
Rev: CVNRADIREX, Maltese type cross with six diamonds around.
Ref: Biaggi 895

So ben mi, c'ha bon tempo ('I know well who is having a good time') by Orazio Vecchi from the collection Selva di varia ricreatione, 1590; interpreted by Richard Thompson, 2006

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 7

An ancient coin forum without a greek song. Impossible:

and a greek coin:

G_301_Athens_fac2.jpg.631bb09807b6922c786d1ba8a40662d6.jpg

Attica. Athens
Silver tetradrachm, ca. 454-404 BC
Av: Helmeted head of Athena right, with frontal eye.
Rv: AΘE. Owl standing right, head facing; olive sprig and crescent to left; all within incuse square.
AR, 17.16g, 23mm
Ref.: Kroll 8; HGC 4, 1597.

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 6
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Here's the latest from Trio Mandili, a folk group from Georgia.

It makes me smile. Like Julia Mamaea.

1669810432_MamaeaVESTApateradenarius.jpg.c231e416ccb075b40bf4888ae50e4df3.jpg

Julia Mamaea, AD 222-235.
Roman AR denarius, 3.15 g, 18.3 mm, 5 h.
Rome mint, 7th emission, AD 227.
Obv: IVLIA MAMAEA AVG, diademed and draped bust right.
Rev: VESTA, Vesta standing left, holding patera and transverse scepter.
Refs: RIC 362; BMCRE 440; Cohen 85; RCV 8218.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Glossy, dark-green patina! That's the way I like it!

[IMG]
Faustina II, AD 147-175.
Roman oricalchum sestertius, 22.36 gm, 33.7 mm, 12 h.
Rome, December AD 160.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: FECVND AVGVSTAE S C, (Faustina as) Fecunditas standing left, between two children (thought to represent Faustina III and Lucilla), holding two infants in her arms (thought to represent Fadilla and Cornificia).
Refs: RIC 1635; BMCRE 902-904; Cohen 96; Strack 1336; RCV 5273; MIR 10.

• Like 3
  • Smile 2

• Benefactor

Here is a cool ol' tune from Brain Salad Surgery (a classic) ... 

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9 - 1st Impression - Part 2 - Bing video

Oh, and a cool ol' coin as well ... I hope that you coiners are having a great Hump-day

=> Cheers

BAKTRIA, Indo-Greek Kingdom. Antialkidas Nikephoros, AR Drachm

Circa 130-120 BC

Diameter: 17 mm

Weight: 2.46 grams

Obverse: Diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right, wearing crested helmet adorned with bull’s horn and ear

Reverse: Zeus seated facing slightly left, holding Nike and scepter; to left, forepart of elephant right; monogram to right

Reference: Bopearachchi 12A; HGC 12, 258

Other: 12h … toned, minor porosity

Ex-stevex6

Baktria Indo Greek Antialkidas Nike.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 5

We haven't had the KLF or Tammy Wynette yet...

Here's a coin that fits, since Bill & Jimmy were wearing their horn outfits in the video.

Ruler: Trajan (Augustus)
Region, City: Egypt, Alexandria
Coin: Bronze Dichalkon
- Laureate head of Trajan right
LIZ - Rhinoceros standing right
Mint: (a. 113-114)
Wt./Size/Axis: 1.72g / 15mm / -
References:
  • RPC 4823
Acquisition: Naville Numismatics Online auction NN Live 73 #230 8-May-2022

Trajan_dichalkon_Obv.JPG.889c09ff561fd67a99aa74ef33d8a973.JPGTrajan_dichalkon_Rev.JPG.567745cbae2942ce9e1094412dbaccf0.JPG

ATB,

Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

Church, and that's Tammy Wynette, partly. I would never, could never think she was capable of collaborating on anything on this level.  

Here's a repost of a c. later-4th-c. Aksumite AE; just, resonant enough from here.  Obv. legend 'BACI/\EVC.'

image.jpeg.c9e91ae7c59746eb1cb228ed926fbc88.jpeg

And where the phrase, 'will never, could never' comes from.

(Edit:) I need how fearless people are getting with the mind-expanding, never mind eclectic or even esoteric tunes.  Just, Needing All of it.  ...Yep, I'm about to Wiki KLF.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 6

Here's some more, going back to @akeady's latest post.  First the coin, my only Athenian tetradrachm (still liking to spell it out), from @CPK.

image.jpeg.f7abb5dad79e71cfebfdb6944c0e2224.jpeg

And you're due serious thanks, @CPK, for posting that remarkable reading of Beethoven's first symphony (above; Really, everyone else, Look for it!!!!). 

Growing up with less than great compilations on vinyl, I'd never imagined that Beethoven was already moving this far, past aping Mozartean 'Classicism,' into where he would be as of the 7th and 9th Symphonies.  Thank you, @CPK; I just mean it, all over again.

Except, now is when this is called for.

• Like 7

Stay until the end of this one. Edgar jams on 5 different instruments and a Moog. 

Frankenstein.

Irenopolis2.jpg.108bf4c027c003a941427628d166ee15.jpg

Valerian, AE28 of Irenopolis, Cilicia. AYT K Π ΛI OYAΛEΡINOC CE EY, radiate, cuirassed bust right / EIΡHNOΠOΛITΩN H CΓ (CΓ retrograde), Dionysos, holding kantharos and thyrsos, standing in a facing biga of panthers. 

• Like 3
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1

18 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

Church, and that's Tammy Wynette, partly. I would never, could never think she was capable of collaborating on anything on this level.  

Here's a repost of a c. later-4th-c. Aksumite AE; just, resonant enough from here.  Obv. legend 'BACI/\EVC.'

(Edit:) I need how fearless people are getting with the mind-expanding, never mind eclectic or even esoteric tunes.  Just, Needing All of it.  ...Yep, I'm about to Wiki KLF.

You'll have found plenty of interesting stuff on the KLF - their DIY book on how to have a #1 hit (with a money back guarantee!); their last gig at the Brit awards in 1992 - (from the Wiki entry for the Brits) "In 1992, dance/art band The KLF was awarded Best British Group (shared with Simply Red) and were booked to open the show. In an attempt to hijack the event, the duo collaborated with grindcore metal band Extreme Noise Terror to perform a death metal version of the dance song "3 a.m. Eternal", a performance that prompted conductor Sir Georg Solti to walk out in disgust.[22] The performance ended with Bill Drummond firing blanks from a vintage machine gun over the audience and KLF publicist/announcer Scott Piering stating 'Ladies and gentlemen, The KLF have now left the music business'.[23] Producers of the show then refused to let a motorcycle courier collect the award on behalf of the band.[24] Later that evening, the KLF dumped a dead sheep outside the venue of an after-show party,[23][24] whilst their Brit Award was reportedly found buried in a field near Stonehenge in 1993."; their post-music K Foundation which gave an award for the "worst artist of the year", giving £40,000 to Rachel Whiteread, who'd also received the Turner Prize of £20,000 for "Best British Contemporary Artist"; their art - (Wikipedia on the K Foundation) "Collectively, the K Foundation's money-as-art works were titled Money: A Major Body Of Cash, "seven pieces, all involving various amounts of cash nailed to, tied to or simply standing on inanimate objects".[26] Nailed To A Wall had a reserve price of £500,000, half the face value of the cash used in its construction, which Scotland on Sunday's reporter Robert Dawson Scott was 'fairly confident... really was £1 million [in cash]'. The catalogue entry for the artwork stated: 'Over the years the face value will be eroded by inflation, while the artistic value will rise and rise. The precise point at which the artistic value will overtake the face value is unknown. Deconstruct the work now and you double your money. Hang it on a wall and watch the face value erode, the market value fluctuate, and the artistic value soar. The choice is yours.'"   Of course, they're mostly infamous for burning the £1 million pounds and filming it - that sparked debate on the value of money and indeed on whether they'd actually burnt the money.

Here's more of them - the woman with guitar and KLF shirt was then married to Jimmy Cauty, the long-haired guy - she's in most (all?) of their videos and eventually went back to uni and now has a PhD and works in a university (I don't think she's still married to Jimmy).   The woman saying "Come on boy, do you wanna ride?" is Wanda Dee, who wasn't part of the band but sued them when her manager/husband discovered that KLF had put some of her samples on two of their songs - this and "I wanna see you sweat" on "What Time Is Love?".   As a settlement, KLF paid her, gave her a share in royalties and named her as a co-writer on the U.S. release of their album.   That's how she got on the video too!   One popular interpretation of KLF is Kopyright Liberation Front - they sampled other people freely and were often forced to withdraw music from sale by aggrieved original artists and their legal teams.

Here's a quinarius which has nothing to do with the KLF, though it may have been pieced back together.   I was going to post it to the thread on coins with complete borders, but it can go here instead.

Gens: Anonymous - MT
Coin: Silver Quinarius
V - Helmeted head of Roma right
MT - The Dioscuri galloping right
Exergue: ROMA
Mint: Apulia (211-210 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 1.81g / 17mm / 10h
References:
  • RSC 33h (Anon)
  • Sydenham 183
  • Crawford 103/2a
Provenances:
  • Ex. Vitangelo Collection
Acquisition: Roma Numismatics Online auction E-Sale 81 #924 25-Feb-2021

spacer.png

ATB,

Aidan.

• Like 4
  • Mind blown 1

28 minutes ago, akeady said:

You'll have found plenty of interesting stuff on the KLF - their DIY book on how to have a #1 hit (with a money back guarantee!); their last gig at the Brit awards in 1992 - (from the Wiki entry for the Brits) "In 1992, dance/art band The KLF was awarded Best British Group (shared with Simply Red) and were booked to open the show. In an attempt to hijack the event, the duo collaborated with grindcore metal band Extreme Noise Terror to perform a death metal version of the dance song "3 a.m. Eternal", a performance that prompted conductor Sir Georg Solti to walk out in disgust.[22] The performance ended with Bill Drummond firing blanks from a vintage machine gun over the audience and KLF publicist/announcer Scott Piering stating 'Ladies and gentlemen, The KLF have now left the music business'.[23] Producers of the show then refused to let a motorcycle courier collect the award on behalf of the band.[24] Later that evening, the KLF dumped a dead sheep outside the venue of an after-show party,[23][24] whilst their Brit Award was reportedly found buried in a field near Stonehenge in 1993."; their post-music K Foundation which gave an award for the "worst artist of the year", giving £40,000 to Rachel Whiteread, who'd also received the Turner Prize of £20,000 for "Best British Contemporary Artist"; their art - (Wikipedia on the K Foundation) "Collectively, the K Foundation's money-as-art works were titled Money: A Major Body Of Cash, "seven pieces, all involving various amounts of cash nailed to, tied to or simply standing on inanimate objects".[26] Nailed To A Wall had a reserve price of £500,000, half the face value of the cash used in its construction, which Scotland on Sunday's reporter Robert Dawson Scott was 'fairly confident... really was £1 million [in cash]'. The catalogue entry for the artwork stated: 'Over the years the face value will be eroded by inflation, while the artistic value will rise and rise. The precise point at which the artistic value will overtake the face value is unknown. Deconstruct the work now and you double your money. Hang it on a wall and watch the face value erode, the market value fluctuate, and the artistic value soar. The choice is yours.'"   Of course, they're mostly infamous for burning the £1 million pounds and filming it - that sparked debate on the value of money and indeed on whether they'd actually burnt the money.

Here's more of them - the woman with guitar and KLF shirt was then married to Jimmy Cauty, the long-haired guy - she's in most (all?) of their videos and eventually went back to uni and now has a PhD and works in a university (I don't think she's still married to Jimmy).   The woman saying "Come on boy, do you wanna ride?" is Wanda Dee, who wasn't part of the band but sued them when her manager/husband discovered that KLF had put some of her samples on two of their songs - this and "I wanna see you sweat" on "What Time Is Love?".   As a settlement, KLF paid her, gave her a share in royalties and named her as a co-writer on the U.S. release of their album.   That's how she got on the video too!   One popular interpretation of KLF is Kopyright Liberation Front - they sampled other people freely and were often forced to withdraw music from sale by aggrieved original artists and their legal teams.

Here's a quinarius which has nothing to do with the KLF, though it may have been pieced back together.   I was going to post it to the thread on coins with complete borders, but it can go here instead.

Gens: Anonymous - MT
Coin: Silver Quinarius
V - Helmeted head of Roma right
MT - The Dioscuri galloping right
Exergue: ROMA
Mint: Apulia (211-210 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 1.81g / 17mm / 10h
References:
  • RSC 33h (Anon)
  • Sydenham 183
  • Crawford 103/2a
Provenances:
  • Ex. Vitangelo Collection
Acquisition: Roma Numismatics Online auction E-Sale 81 #924 25-Feb-2021

spacer.png

ATB,

Aidan.

Aidan,

Just Uh.  Freaking.  Mazing.  

...Life of some kind intervened before I Wiki'd them ...but I just did.  Where techno is concerned, I'm pure as the driven snow.  Had exactly zero idea that, as a genre, it could be about this ...or this much, all at once.  Thank you for the Extreme mind expansion.

And the coin ain't bad, either!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robinjojo said:

1413683984_D-CameraSyracuseTetradrachmSecondDemocracy466-05BC16.92gCNGeAuct51831VF6-25-22.jpg.2bb904cd115a4e8d99b774541cb86454.jpg

@robinjojo, many thanks for (a magnificent coin --I'm not getting any further than c. 5th c. BCE Syracuse, but that's good enough, already-- and) this magnificent reading of Rachmaninoff.

Between this and @CPK's posting of the really powerful reading of Beethoven's 1st, you guys are rehabilitating me about post-Baroque in a big way.  Beyond Chopin and later Beethoven (7th Symphony on), I never got much traction with any of it.

...One exception was Debussy; maybe some of that needs to happen here, eventually.  But I'm already ruing my not very implicitly dismissive comment about Mozart, relative to @CPK's early Beethoven.

First, finda coin, finda coin....

Here's a good one.  County of Blois, the earliest Bleso-Chartrain one I have; Duplessy 575 (with the ubiquitous minor variations), c. 980-1030.  Corresponding to Eudes /Odo II (r. 996-1037).  ...He was a neighbor and correspondingly prominent rival of the notorious Count Fulk 'Nerra' of Anjou.  ...Yes, most of the time, Fulk kicked his ass.  It's fun, though, that both of them were eventual lineal ancestors of kings of England.

image.jpeg.fed74bad17a69df87921edfe12d7e55b.jpeg

And here's my favorite Mozart of all time, both for the piece and the reading.  Filmed by no less than Ingmar Bergman.  I kind of need his focus on the audience reactions ...somehow very Bergmanesque.

• Like 6

Hélène Grimaud – Silvestrov: The Messenger (For Piano Solo)

I love this piece

and since the title is "The Messenger" a coin with Hermes.

Actually, the title stands for a messenger between this world and the world beyond. Silvestrov wrote this masterpiece after the sudden death of his wife in the nineties. In March 2022, he fled from Ukraine to Berlin following the Russian invasion.

normal_G_322_Pergamon.jpg.8e2d1c0a6bfbb27d9dcccd943ed35ce7.jpg

Mysia, Pergamon
AE17
Obv.: Draped bust of Hermes to right; wing on head.
Rev.: ΠΕΡΓΑΜΗΝΩΝ; winged kerykeion.
AE, 17mm, 2.70g
Ref.: unpublished type
(Same obverse (die match) as H. v. Fritze. - Berlin, 1910, pl. III, 26

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

More Rachmaninoff, this time an excellent rendition of the Prelude #2, opus 23 by Richter.

Music such as this requires something dramatic or at least suggesting the undulating, crashing and soaring chords of this work.

239822965_D-CameraSyracusetetradrachmAgathoklesreshoot317-310BC17.0gBerk4-8-21.jpg.36e2ef40b41b9d29b8b5c4e8d8a5a4d0.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 5
  • Mind blown 1