Post your latest ancient!

CPK

A new coin for my  Artemis collection:

Hierapolis.jpg.635df05b5213199a751cf8f1cd2da37f.jpg

Hierapolis. Valerian I
Obv:  Valerian I, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right., Α Κ Π Λ ΟVAΛЄΡΙΑΝΟC.
Rev: IЄPAΠΟΛЄΙΤΩΝ K ЄΦЄCΙΩΝ ΝЄΟΚΟΡΩΝ / OMONOIA.
Serapis standing right, holding sceptre; to right, facing statue of Artemis Ephesia, with supports

Homonoia of Hierapolis with Ephesus

Ae, 15g,  29.9 mm

Ref.: RPC X, — (unassigned; ID 63141)

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Thinking 1

• Benefactor

Here's a Saturday purchase from my local coin shop, quite a common coin, but a pleasant example of this often crude coinage.  

Mylasa (Caria), AR drachm, Pseudo-Rhodes issue, 175-150 BC.

1.89 grams

Obverse: Head of Helios with standing eagle on left side of cheek.

Reverse: Rose; monograms in fields, Ξ-A in fields is for the month Ξανθικός (Xanthikos) in the Macedonian calendar, Ξ-A.

D-CameraMylasa(Caria)ARdrachmPseudo-Rhodes140-30BC-Ainfieldsisforthemonth(xanthikos)1.89g12-25-23.jpg.87bf2fcabd818ce313082bbeb390bba8.jpg

Ξανδικός or Ξανθικός, Xandikos or Xanthikos, March, and festival of the month; Xanthika, purifying the army

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 13

Here's one of my latest additions, and I'll show another next.

This one probably wont end up in my 2023 list - provided two coins that have been stuck in DHL purgatory since December 2, ultimately will show up in my mailbox... 

Its a neatly toned denarius of Manlius Torquatus for Sulla, struck during one of the many, many, many military campaigns at that time. The flan is quite small, 16 mm, and on the reverse some of the devices are not on the flan. Nevertheless, the 'SVLLA' is legible, which is a 'must' for me. The devices that are present on the coin are well struck, with lots of detail remaining. In all: a perfect coin for my collection 🙂

0_19.png.cf0b6f28e6d9723880af006b1776dbde.png

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 3

Here's another coin, I don't believe I've posted before. It's a well known issue struck under the rule of Pontius Pilate. To me personally, a very interesting issue and a must have for my collection. This issue shows the simpulum on the obverse and the grain ears on the reverse. The other type shows a wreath and a Lituus. 

04PontiusPilate.png.024592ef3b3f38179cb56d6d2c567808.png 

• Like 12

A Prusias I Cholos has found its way into my hands... 

Prusias I Cholos (the Lame; died 182 BC) was king of the kingdom of Bithynia from around 228 BC until his death. He was a son of Ziaelas. An alliance with Philip V of Macedon came about through marriage. When Rhodes was struck by an earthquake in 227 BC, Prusias supported the affected inhabitants of the island. Allied with the Rhodians, he waged war against Byzantium, but was unable to maintain his conquests and had to give them back in 220 BC. Four years later, in 216 BC, he defeated the Celtic tribe of the Aigosages. During the first Macedonian-Roman war, he was allied with King Philip V against Pergamon. He expanded the territory of Bithynia in a series of wars against the Pergamenian king Attalus I and against Heraclea Pontica on the Black Sea. In 202 BC, Philip V gave Prusias the harbour cities of Kios and Myrleia, which were renamed Prusias ad Mare and Apameia in Bithynia. When the Romans fought against the Seleucid king Antiochus III, Prusias remained neutral. Leading representatives of the important Roman patrician family of the Scipiones guaranteed him the preservation of his possessions in 190 BC. The Seleucid ruler, on the other hand, simply demanded his solidarity. Despite the Scipiones' promise, the Roman Senate demanded the following year, 189 BC, that Prusias return Phrygia to the Pergamenian king Eumenes II. This led to a war between Prusias and Eumenes II that lasted five years (until 183 BC). The Bithynian king granted Hannibal asylum and the latter fought for him against the Attalid. In the end, however, Prusias was forced to renounce Phrygia. In 183 BC, he also had to comply with the request of Titus Quinctius Flamininus, who demanded Hannibal's extradition. However, the Punic general poisoned himself before he could be handed over to the Romans. Prusias I died soon afterwards in 182 BC and was succeeded on the throne by his son Prusias.

GREEK COINS, KINGS OF BITHYNIA; Prusias I Cholos; Reign: Kingdom of Bithynia; Mint: Bithynia; Date: 228/185 BC; Nominal: Tetradrachm; Material: Silver; Diameter: 34mm; Weight: 16.90g; Reference: HGC 7, 614; Reference: Waddington 9b; Reference: Jameson 1387; Reference: SNG von Aulock 6878; Pedigree: From the Kyrios Collection; Obverse: Diademed head of Prusias with short beard, right; Reverse: Zeus Stratios standing left holding a wreath over the royal name in his left hand and a vertical sceptre in left, thunderbolt inner left filed above ME, ligate, monogram below; Inscription: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΠΡΟΥΣΙΟΥ; Translation: Basileos Prousiou; Translation: King Prusias.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 10
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Two of the ten I am waiting for arrived this morning. Cheap but I don´t have many Greek coins, don´t know much about them, but they feel great to hold and look at.

PHRYGIA. Apameia. Ae (Circa 88-40 BC). Magistrate Attalos, son of Bianor, eglogistes.
Obv: Turreted head of Artemis-Tyche right, with bow and quiver over shoulder.
Rev: AΠAMEΩN / ATTAΛOY BIANOPOΣ.
Marsyas advancing right, playing aulos; menander pattern below.
BMC 62; HGC 7, 674. 5,49 g - 18,77 mm
In Greek mythology, the satyr Marsyas is a central figure in two stories involving music: in one, he picked up the double oboe that had been abandoned by Athena and played it; in the other, he challenged Apollo to a contest of music and lost his hide and life.

4896042_1701101639.jpg.3075b6be32d50b5de0ca6697d30878f3.jpg

SELEUCIS & PIERIA. Antioch. Ae Tetrachalkon (63-28 BC). Uncertain date.
Obv: Laureate head of Zeus right.
Rev: ANTIOXEΩN THΣ MHTPOΠOΛEΩΣ.
Zeus seated left on throne, holding crowning Nike and sceptre; [date] in exergue 7,64 g - 19,21 mm

4896050_1701101645-side-removebg-preview.png.5c44f22d2367867d8e9fce2b3254e617.png

• Like 9

A beautiful large Trajanus Sestertius arrived today. Unfortunately, it is suspected that there is bronze disease on the rim. I'll have to check this more closely next week. For now, the Sestertius will be quarantined over the holidays.

Imperator Caesar Nerva Traianus Augustus; Reign: Trajanus; Mint: Rome; Date: 107 AD; Nominal: Sestertius; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 36mm; Weight: 25.53g; Reference: BMC 800; Reference: Banti 133; Reference: Cohen 406; Reference: Woytek 200b; Reference: RIC II Trajan 503 (sestertius); Obverse: Bust of Trajan, laureate, with aegis, right; Inscription: IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P; Translation: Imperator, Caesar, Nervae Traiano Augustus, Germanicus, Dacicus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestate, Consul Quintum, Pater Patriae; Translation: Imperator, Caesar, of Nerva Trajan, Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, conqueror of the Dacians, high priest, holder of tribunician power, consul for the fifth time, father of the nation; Reverse: Pax, draped, standing left, holding branch out and downwards in right hand and cornucopiae in left; her right foot treading down Dacian whose head and shoulders only are seen; Inscription: S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI S C; Translation: Senatus Populusque Romanus Optimo Principi. Senatus Consultum; Translation: The senate and the Roman people to the best of princes. Decree of the senate.
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 12/21/2023 at 2:40 PM, Prieure de Sion said:

Today I received an interesting Gold Tremissis of the Aelia Eudocia. However, I am not sure whether this is really an imperial issue from Constantinopolis. The portrait style is quite different from the usual imperial issues. It has something barbaric about it. Could it therefore perhaps be a barbarian imitation? Or a mint other than Constantinopolis?

Aelia Eudocia (Greek Αιλία Ευδοκία, Ailía Eudokía, Middle Greek pronunciation [ɛlía ɛβðɔkía]; born around 400 AD in Athens; died 20 October 460 AD in Jerusalem), before her baptism Athenaḯs (Αθηναΐς), later also Hagía Eudokía (Ἁγία Εὐδοκία, Middle Greek pronunciation [ajía ɛβðɔkía], "holy Eudokia"), was the wife of the Eastern Roman emperor Theodosius II, who reigned from 408 to 450 AD. Aelia Eudocia was born in Athens as the daughter of the pagan rhetoric teacher Leontios and was considered highly educated. She was instrumental in the establishment of the Christian University of Constantinople, which was built as the so-called Athenaeum in 424 AD based on Constantinian beginnings and was the first great intellectual achievement to compile the Codex Theodosianus. Aelia Eudocia herself wrote sacred poems, some of which have been preserved. She sympathised with Miaphysitism, but turned to Orthodoxy at the end of her life. She is venerated as a saint in the Orthodox Church and her feast day is 13 August.

Aelia Eudocia, wife of Emperor Theodosius II; Reign: Theodosius II; Mint: Constantinopolis; Date: 425/429 AD; Nominal: Tremissis; Material: Gold; Diameter: 16mm; Weight: 1.38g; Reference: Depeyrot 72/2; Reference: RIC X Theodosius II (East) 253; Obverse: Bust of Eudocia, pearl-diademed, draped, right, wearing necklace and earrings, crowned by Hand of God; Inscription: AEL EVDOCIA AVG; Translation: Aelia Eudocia Augusta; Reverse: Cross within a wreath, mintmark in exergue; Inscription: CONOB✳; Translation: Constantinopolis Obryzum; Translation: Constantinople 1/72 pound pure gold.

aeliaeudocia.png.de5c18e91a017d6f628f1e7684eefeb9.png

Attention please - this was a "modern" fake:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I won this on the 24th and the tracking said it wasn't supposed to arrive until next year. Imagine my surprise when it showed up today. This is my absolute last coin of 2023.

BarbarousImitativeConstantineINummusTwoVictoriesatAltar4.png.728da7431a46ac24e00e2c833536f1da.png

Barbarous Imitative of Constantine I
Follis
~3rd Century AD
Obverse: Laureate, cuirassed bust right in high-crested helmet
Reverse: Two Victories standing facing one another holding shield on altar decorated with X in centre

I'm slowly working on my Barbarous Imitative coins with Victory reverses. It is not anywhere near @Victor_Clark's amazing collection over on his website...but it's good to have goals, right? 😛 For what it's worth, I didn't find a match for my coin on his site.  I consider that a win with how many different examples he has!

• Like 11

PhilipI(244-249)-AEprovincialSestertius-Dacia-28mm_14_79g.1hRxANIIIVarbanov11olivepatina.jpg.02df11a7faeb7762f9f144fad14b6539.jpg

Philip I (244-249). Dacia. Æ (28mm, 14.79g, 1h). Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust r. R/ Dacia standing facing, holding standards inscribed V and XIII; eagle to l., lion to r., AN III (date) in exergue. RPC VIII online - (unassigned; ID 2494); Varbanov 11.

This was the throw-in in the broken Nero order.   This one is seemingly undamaged, although I'd rather this have been the destroyed one, if I had to sacrifice one.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

PhilipI(244-249)-AEprovincialSestertius-Dacia-28mm_14_79g.1hRxANIIIVarbanov11olivepatina.jpg.02df11a7faeb7762f9f144fad14b6539.jpg

Philip I (244-249). Dacia. Æ (28mm, 14.79g, 1h). Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust r. R/ Dacia standing facing, holding standards inscribed V and XIII; eagle to l., lion to r., AN III (date) in exergue. RPC VIII online - (unassigned; ID 2494); Varbanov 11.

This was the throw-in in the broken Nero order.   This one is seemingly undamaged, although I'd rather this have been the destroyed one, if I had to sacrifice one.

That's a chunky boi. Do you think that somehow it could've contributed to the bending of the Nero? Just thinking out loud. 

• Like 1

Last coin of 2023 just arrived.

Anastasius 1 - SB 19 - Constantinople. The bold star on the shoulder, E officina and 8 point star on the right of the reverse make this more specifically a DOC 25K example. Overall a nicely worn but bold and pleasing example.

I’m guessing the patina may have been stripped a very long time ago, but I’m not positive on that.IMG_5756.jpeg.1fb95c535d80bdf19a1ab47a1b96cbde.jpegIMG_5757.jpeg.f7ef8ae15ae3e5afe200c35986d4f452.jpeg

• Like 12

I will kick 2024 off with my first coin of 2024!!
Technically, I bought it in 2023 (December 28th to be exact) but it arrived today so I am counting it for 2024.
Only $8.50! I love how good the antelope looks.

slazzer-edit-image(4).png.fdfdabc5231f7a920831f8e8a5db5427.png

Gallienus, Sole Reign
260-268 AD
AE antoninianus
Rome mint
Obverse: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate head right
Reverse: DIANAE CONS AVG, Antelope walking left
Mintmark: Gamma

• Like 11

Elagabalus, Billon Tetradrachm of Alexandria, Egypt. Dated year 4, AD 220-221. 23mm, 11.63gr. A KAICAΡ MA AYΡ ANTωNINOC EYCEB, laureate head right. / L-B, draped bust of Serapis right, wearing modius decorated with a poppy. Milne 2811-2812; Köln 2334; Dattari 4139; Emmett 2952.4. Geissen 2313, RPC 10032.

4939915_1702545270-removebg-preview.png.41d4922b295f34ce67953851b892e931.png

Edited by expat
  • Like 16
  • Heart Eyes 1

First purchases of the year!

Honestly I have no idea why I bought this germanic imitation 😂. But it looked very cute. 

The other one that caught my eye was this imperatorial issue by Fulvia (Wife of Mark Antony) and the peculiar amounts of counter marks on that coin. Havn't seen that many before on a quinarius. 

barb.jpg

coin2.webp

coin1.webp

• Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 1

50 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Ah YOU got the Fulvia 🙂 … I set a Pre-Bid, but forgot the live auction. Gratulation. 

Haha sorry but thanks. Needed another coin to justify the shipping costs from Artemide. Won at my max sadly :P. 

• Clap 1

I had a Vespasian and Titus dupondius, so I figured I'd complete a set of the same denomination... I'm really liking dupondius coins as of late..

DOMITIAN AE dupondius. Rome, 92-93 AD. IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XIIII CENS PER P P, radiate head right. Reverse - FORTVNAE AVGVSTI, Fortuna standing left with rudder and cornucopia. RIC 417. 28mm, 11.6g

4yDFQB5b7jJ8D7ey9MMiBr83g6Ln2x.jpg.740f3daf6f7885b9532e3b12645566e6.jpg

• Like 15