Post your latest ancient!

CPK

My latest ancients include two Gallienus antoniniani from Antioch. I have a handful now from the mint with good slivering and it's been fun adding different reverse types. 

Obv:  GALLIENVS AVG; Radiate and cuirassed bust right. 

Rev: LAETITIA AVG; Laetitia standing left, holding wreath and anchor. VIIC• in exergue. 

MIR 1642b (8 ex), RIC 616

1691940893874.png.ab4a7a18e3b162c3040cd84b298cceda.png

Obv: GALLIENVS AVG; Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust left.

Rev: GENIVS AVG; Genius standing left, holding patera and cornucopia. Palm frond in exergue.

MIR 1629b (3 ex), RIC -  

1691942008214.png.0a44f3ce3158c8a4f4a99f8a0363982d.png

• Like 14
  • Clap 1

Since I dont have the funds for a good example, I picked up this budget Caligula VESTA As, the bust is recognizable and the legends are there, looks better in hand, happy to add em, even if it's on the uglier side.

chrome_image_Aug1320234_34_32PMEDT.png.a7b9c78507d95b8921a77da30a3c0a60.png

Edited by AETHER
  • Like 12
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 2

My latest is an AR denarius of Antoninus Pius. Needs fresh photos as these dealers photos are a bit unfocussed on the reverse.

Antoninus Pius AR denarius, Rome, AD 148-149. 18 mm, 3.35 g. ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP TR P XVI, laureate head right. / COS IIII, Annona standing left, holding corn-ears in left hand and resting right hand on modius set on prow to right. RIC 221; RSC 290; BMCRE 520.

APiusAnnona - Copy.jpg

• Like 11
  • Clap 1

On 8/13/2023 at 4:38 PM, AETHER said:

Since I dont have the funds for a good example, I picked up this budget Caligula VESTA As, the bust is recognizable and the legends are there, looks better in hand, happy to add em, even if it's on the uglier side.

chrome_image_Aug1320234_34_32PMEDT.png.a7b9c78507d95b8921a77da30a3c0a60.png

That's a nice portrait of Caligula. Provincial Caligulas are the way to go. they don't come on the market often, but they usually are in pretty nice shape for great prices.

• Clap 1

Just now, AETHER said:

Got an example??

I posted my Caligula vesta a while back but there was this beautiful Capricorn reverse I saw on vcoins for $60 it had to be at least a vf. I had it on my watchlist until it sold around 3 months ago. I don't have too many provincials.  They do come on vcoins but unfortunately not too often. Here is my Vesta example (the only readily avaliable Caligula imperial issue with his portrait). Eventually I'll get a provincial Caligula.

9CBB3FCD-0649-4314-A81C-72704EB92C4A.jpeg

27C69EC9-13C8-4D3B-9D48-84810AC33FC0.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

A rare province bronze of Valerian I from Colybrassus (Cilicia) appealed to me because of its size and weight. I just like these big and heavy province bronzes.

valerian.png.1bead2fb50776dfe995dd03313aaee1d.png

CILICIA, Colybrassus. Valerian I. AD 253-260. Æ Hendekassarion (34mm, 18.10 g, 6h). Struck AD 256-8. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind; IA (mark of value) to right / Zeus seated left on throne, holding patera and scepter. SNG BN –; SNG Levante 344 (same obv. die); SNG von Aulock 5661. Ex Collection CR (Classical Numismatic Group Electronic Auction 348, 8 April 2015), lot 598; Sternberg XIII (17 November 1983), lot 925.

• Like 14
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Well, these are humble enough where I don't have to worry about jinxing them in transit.  Nor are they nice enough to warrant a separate thread.

I really didn't know what to order this time, and this Nero Claudius Drusus type had been a long-time want.  Halfway decent ones are quite expensive, so this ugly example will have to do.  At least it's not tooled. 🫠  The upside of ugly but inexpensive coins; one can always get a better example later.

NeroClaudiusDrusus-AESestertius-RICI114-35.17mm24.16garchaVGugly.jpg.ad15a741c8d5f52b58574a796db343b7.jpg

RIC I 114 Rome
AD 42
Obv. TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG PM TR P IMP, laureate head right
Rx: NERO CLAVDIVS DRVSVS GERMAN IMP, statue of Nero Claudius Drusus on horseback right, atop triumphal arch; S-C across fields
35.17mm, 24.16 grams

Grade: VG

As an appetizer, I added my first quadrans.  Ok, well first small quadrans.  I just don't collect small AE's.  I have a decrepit but huge early one.

Claudius-AEQuadrans-RICI90-handholdingscales16.42mm3.42gpatinaMarcB.jpg.df6f00da17455dcaba0086195494ed7b.jpg

RIC I 90 Rome
AD 42
Obv: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG, hand holding scales, PNR below
Rx: PON M TR P IMP PP COS II around S C
16.42mm, 3.42 grams

Some of the other available ones featured a clearer hand, but this was the only one with a patina.

• Like 11
  • Clap 1

5 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Great example!

What is a Hendekassarion?  11 Assaria?

Assarion (plural Assaria) is an ancient bronze coin of Greek cities from the time of Roman rule. According to Schmieder, coins with the Greek inscription Assarion were minted on Chios. Assarion is the Greek term for the Roman ace. Other names: Multiple values included Diassarion (2), Tetrassarion (4), Oktassarion (8), Dekassarion (10), Hendekassarion (11). By Konrad Klütz; Münznamen und ihre Herkunft Grundriß einer etymologischen Ordnung der Münznamen.

The coin also has a value sign with IA (11).
I = Iota = 10
A = Alpha = 1

• Like 3

I was getting concerned about this one. Lost in Madrid for nearly a week but finally was located yesterday and delivered today. Need to image it as the dealer photo doesn´t do justice to the exquisite luster.

Ref Caracalla AR Denarius, Rome 19 mm. 2,94 g.  
RIC 130a, RSC 97, BMC 280
Caracalla 196-198 AD. ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right / INDVLGENTIA AVGG, IN CARTH below, Dea Caelestis (Cybele)  riding lion springing right over water gushing from rocks on left, holding thunderbolt & sceptre, and wearing ”City Wall” crown.
Purchased from Aeternitas Numismaticas 12th Aug. 2023.
Ex, Solidus Numismatik auction 106, Lot # 1580 11th Oct. 2022

Caracalla.jpg

• Like 10
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1

13 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Hendekassarion (11).

13 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

The coin also has a value sign with IA (11).

In late 3d C. Roman imperial coins "XI" has a different meaning, "10 parts copper and 1 part silver." (pdf reference: http://augustuscoins.com/ed/catalogs/AlloyXI.pdf )
Coins with "XI" are rare, but "XXI" is very common and has been shown to mean "20 parts copper and 1 part silver." I find it hard to credit that any city would make a denomination of eleven. Maybe "XI" means ten of these make one (of something else--a silver piece? A tetradrachm?) Or, "ten of something (an assarion?) is one of these." I can't think there could be a denomination "eleven". 

• Like 2

• Benefactor

Here's a coin that came out of Roma's recent auction of Byzantine bronzes (and some gold and other metals as well).  This is a follis of Justinian I, Rome.  While not a very rare coin, finding one in acceptable condition, at an "affordable" price, can be something of a challenge with this type. 

Mostly the problem with this type is with the reverse, which is often very crude, even cruder than the obverse.  "ROMA" is often illegible or completely missing.  Other design devices, such as the crosses and the star can be very weak.  I suspect that the reverse dies, crudely engraved, were used beyond their life expectancy, not surprising, really, given the history of Justinian I's contentious and often tenuous hold on the city.  Coinage operations, under such conditions, would not focus on quality control, when the main task was to create money to pay the troops and provide the population of Rome the money needed for daily transactions.

So, with this historical context in mind, here's the coin:

Justinian I, Æ 40 Nummi, Rome, AD 542-547.  Ex John Casey Collection.

Sear 294.

10.22 grams; 26mm; 6h.

D-CameraJustinianI40Nummi.RomeAD542-47ExJohnCaseyCollection.Sear294_10.22g26mm6h8-19-23.jpg.e447e858ff2faf09607ad3dbab58dde8.jpg

The obverse is quite decent, while the reverse virtually lacks any traces of "ROMA", save for some hints of the O, M and A, all very fragmentary.  Examples with bold ROMA reverses can go for very big bucks, so, as with life's compromises, this is a good coin for the collection.

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

Arrived this morning, another new ruler for my collection.

Probus, 276-282 AD. AR Antoninianus (4.98 gm; 23 mm). Lugdunum mint.
IMP C PROBVS .  P . F . AVG, radiate, and cuirassed bust right.
PAX AVG, Pax standing left with branch in upraised hand and raisjng hem of skirt while holding sceptre; Officina D in left field.
RIC 119(D.RC).
Aug 1st, 2023, (Pars Coins) VAuctions, esale #7, Lot # 120

20230822_171824__3_-removebg-preview-side.png

Edited by expat
correction required in description. Deleted ref to Draped
  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1

MARCUS AURELIUS AE sestertius. Rome mint, 173 AD. M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXVII, laureate bust right. Reverse - GERMANICO AVG IMP VI COS III, Trophy with shields at base, Germania, as mourning female captive, seated left; Captive german male stands, bound, to right, SC in exergue. RCV 4974, RIC 1058. Very scarce

According to Sear, this coin type is a revival of a type issued by Domitian over 9 decades before.
I really love the issues from the marcomannic wars and it's a cool nod to the gladiator movie.  😄

aurel1.jpg

aurel2.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Victrix said:

MARCUS AURELIUS AE sestertius. Rome mint, 173 AD. M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXVII, laureate bust right. Reverse - GERMANICO AVG IMP VI COS III, Trophy with shields at base, Germania, as mourning female captive, seated left; Captive german male stands, bound, to right, SC in exergue. RCV 4974, RIC 1058. Very scarce

According to Sear, this coin type is a revival of a type issued by Domitian over 9 decades before.
I really love the issues from the marcomannic wars and it's a cool nod to the gladiator movie.  😄

aurel1.jpg

aurel2.jpg

Oh wow I bid on this one. Taters Ancients on eBay right. It's a nice coin congrats!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Victrix said:

Yes you're correct, sorry to have outbid you but thanks! 😄

2 hours ago, Amarmur said:

It's okay I liked it but wasn't on my radar 100%. Still looking for a nice denarius of him 

Ha! I also bid on it. Congrats on the nice coin!

• Like 2