Post your latest ancient!

CPK

I bought this coin recently , the reason that made me buy it is the style of Aurelian's portrait , is also very hard to find it.

Aurelian AE Antoninianus, Cyzicus mint, RIC 335(a)          

IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust left , one dot beneath bust /

PROVIDENT AVG, Venus standing left, holding helmet, spear and shield.

image.jpeg.46e6009923df02abaf519a8bc7cd2bb8.jpeg

Two coins I found on acsearch from the same obverse die :

image.jpeg.4f11ca17e9f13df92a66ec9a51038ed9.jpeg

image.jpeg.525944065a790732f0941fd01c596f65.jpeg

Edited by singig
  • Like 14

I won a couple of lots in Roma Auction/ Italo Vecchi Coll.

Here is #1

Britannia/ Durotriges

AV Quarter Stater ND/ NM struck circa 58BC-42AD

0.98g.    11mm.

obv: Five armed Starfish/ Lines of Pellets between Arms/ Silhouette of Human facial profile in right field.

rev: Three Pellets + two devolved Wreath Patterns

Known only in Silver (ABC 2200)

This coin/ unpublished/ unique

12100.42.272_1.jpg

• Like 16
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

3 minutes ago, panzerman said:

I won a couple of lots in Roma Auction/ Italo Vecchi Coll.

Here is #1

Britannia/ Durotriges

AV Quarter Stater ND/ NM struck circa 58BC-42AD

0.98g.    11mm.

obv: Five armed Starfish/ Lines of Pellets between Arms/ Silhouette of Human facial profile in right field.

rev: Three Pellets + two devolved Wreath Patterns

Known only in Silver (ABC 2200)

This coin/ unpublished/ unique

12100.42.272_1.jpg

@panzerman! Been waiting to see you over here, Rockstar!

Stunning spiral design, in AV and a rarity! SCORE!

These always make me think, these must've been shield designs, right?

Here's a fun one of mine in bronze:

2464723_1641205069.l-removebg-preview.png.0859bb60af64b635dbffa6b059e7a484.png

• Like 13

Here is another Savoca auction win.

I have always loved the crab tetradrachms from Akragas - the artistry and realism is astonishing! Unfortunately, I couldn't even begin to think of buying one. But when I saw this nice bronze coin come up in the auction, I decided to give it a bid and ended up winning. It is worn, but smoothly so; the soft brown surfaces are pleasing to the eye and touch. The crab was distinctly recognizable to my 4-year-old son, which speaks well of it, and the fish is also clearly discernable. 

The obverse has suffered more, but with some imagination you can make out the image of the eagle eating the fish.

Clearly, the citizens of Akragas were a people closely tied to nature and the sea!

Anyway I figure this coin is a nice budget filler until I can pony up the quarter-million for a Tetradrachm. 😜

akragas.jpg.9f887e42d55c53c2f1ed68fbbaba083b.jpg

• Like 16

image.png.ea7263ce7e7ca195a43d12d524303774.png

CAPPADOCIA, Caesarea. Nero, 54-68 AD. AR, Hemidrachm.
Obv: NERO CLAVD DIVI [CLAVD F CAESAR AVG GE]RMANI.
Laureate head of Nero, right.
Rev: Victory standing right, foot on globe, inscribing shield set on knee.
RIC I 618. RPC 3646. Sydenham 83.
Condition: VF.
Weight: 1.84 g.
Diameter: 14.40 mm.

Just now in this time, from the Bucephalus Gold Auktion 7 this evening. 

When you are hungry, you should not go to the supermarket. And if you've watched the film "Quo Vadis" on Amazon Prime beforehand - you shouldn't attend an auction where a Nero is being auctioned off. I think it's a beautiful portrait. Even if there is not much resemblance to Sir Peter Ustinov.

I wanted to watch "Cleopatra" tonight - but I'd rather wait a few days or weeks 😄 

• Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 2

56 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

image.png.ea7263ce7e7ca195a43d12d524303774.png

CAPPADOCIA, Caesarea. Nero, 54-68 AD. AR, Hemidrachm.
Obv: NERO CLAVD DIVI [CLAVD F CAESAR AVG GE]RMANI.
Laureate head of Nero, right.
Rev: Victory standing right, foot on globe, inscribing shield set on knee.
RIC I 618. RPC 3646. Sydenham 83.
Condition: VF.
Weight: 1.84 g.
Diameter: 14.40 mm.

Just now in this time, from the Bucephalus Gold Auktion 7 this evening. 

When you are hungry, you should not go to the supermarket. And if you've watched the film "Quo Vadis" on Amazon Prime beforehand - you shouldn't attend an auction where a Nero is being auctioned off. I think it's a beautiful portrait. Even if there is not much resemblance to Sir Peter Ustinov.

I wanted to watch "Cleopatra" tonight - but I'd rather wait a few days or weeks 😄 

Beautiful! I see you put it up for sale...are you sure you're not going to regret letting this Nero go? 😜😉

• Clap 1

56 minutes ago, CPK said:

Beautiful! I see you put it up for sale...are you sure you're not going to regret letting this Nero go? 😜😉

Do you think so too? We have the most beautiful and we have the most terrible hobby. There are so many beautiful and interesting coins. I should have millions of euros - and it still wouldn't be enough for all the coins I like. It's terribly beautiful. 

Yes, you're right. I currently have some Nero here and I was thinking of maybe collecting a few. But the Nero collecting field is so terribly terribly EXPENSIVE. And I like you a lot of coins - that makes me poor - how should I explain that to the wife?

• Yes 1

1 minute ago, Prieure de Sion said:

@CPK

PS: That's why one of my fixed collecting areas is "Gordianus" ... this is a very wife-frendly collecting area.... 😂😂😂

Haha! 😄

And being relatively inexpensive means that you can just buy more - it's better to have a hundred $50 coins than five $1,000 coins right? 😉

• Yes 1

3263777_1662918356.jpg

Got this Ariobarzanes I recently. Features a cool reverse border, apparently the border was a commemoration of Ariobarzanes' restoration to the throne by Lucullus. This was like the fifth time he had to be put back on the throne so the lack of any other special issues in the years he was restored casts doubts on whether the border is related to the restoration. It's a type I have been looking for for a little while now, and while it isn't in the best condition, it's still a cool addition 

• Like 14

This coin arrived today from Artemide  Kunstauktionen after only three days in transit by post from Germany which was a pleasant surprise.

A. Postumius Albinus. Denarius serratus, 81 BC. Obv. HISPAN.Veiled head of Hispa...

A. Postumius Albinus. Denarius serratus, 81 BC. Obv. HISPAN.Veiled head of Hispania right, with dishevelled hair. Rev. A·POST·A·F·S·N·ALBIN (AL ligate). Togate figure standing left, raising right hand; on left, legionary eagle; on right, fasces with axe. Cr. 372/2; B. (Postumia) 8. AR. 3.80 g. 19.50 mm.

This was somewhat of an embarrassing "senior moment" after I placed the bid as I quickly  realised I had hit the wrong key and already had the coin and was seeking the first Postumius denarius. 

I didn't try to retract the bid as I hoped I would be outbid.... Needless to say, I wasn't.

Here is my original coin and I now have to consider which one to convert to something else? Any views apart from my idiocy?

image.png.48c379471684a0aa8532982cf60055a6.png

image.png.4e0a7d554d606b5509aedad71c8d5a1e.png

• Like 17

Just picked up this unsold lot from Harmers of London.

Tuscany/ Lombards/ Psuedo-Imperial Coinage

AV Tremissis ND struck 620-700AD/ in name of Byzantine Emperor Heraclius

Pearl-diademed/ draped/ cuirassed bust right

Victoria standing/ facing/ holding  globus cruciger in left hand/ wreath in right/ star in right field

CONOR in exergue 

Ravenna Mint

This coin is unlisted/ maybe unique. The reverse is from known Maurice Tiberius Tremissis/ not known from Heraclius issues.

tuscany-pseudo-imperial-coinage-8445839.webp

Recently got this coin, somewhat unexpectedly! 

I wasn't on the hunt for a Sulla denarius, although I've had my eye on a few during past CNG auctions. Like a lot of coins, it was one I wanted to get at some point, but it wasn't a high priority for me.

Then I saw this one while browsing an auction. I think there was maybe a day or less remaining and it was at 50 EUR with only one bid. So I placed a 65-euro max bid, checked back a day later and to my surprise I saw I won it for 55. I hadn't researched the type extensively, but it seemed to me like a pretty good deal for a military-issue denarius of the famous L. Cornelius Sulla. The condition is decent, nicely toned, good metal. Sulla's name in exergue is plainly legible. I've seen worse go for higher!

sulla_denarius.jpg.753c0fe9045775a733217d30e258e49e.jpg

• Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 1

Here's my latest...

I really liked the portrait of the Spaniard...

Tat8B6Ar4GkmZf67k9zCwgX3Q2Jgfm.jpg.24deb8111dc88da1deace9c050910bf1.jpg

Lydia. Thyateira. Trajan. 98-117 AD. AE 25mm (9.14 gm).

Obv.: ΑΥ ΝΕΡ ΤΡΑΙΑΝΟΝ #1017;Ε ΓΕΡ ΔΑΚΙ, laureate head right.

Rev.: ΘΥΑΤΕΙΡΗΝΩΝ; Athena in long chiton standing facing, head left, holding patera in her extended right hand, resting with left on shield placed on ground beside her, behind which upright spear.

RPC III 1823. VF.

• Like 14

CONSTANCE II Augustus (337-361), AR Silic, Constantinople. Balkan imitation. D/ DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG B. diad., dr., leather. to d. R/ VOTIS/ XXX/ MVLTIS/ XXXX in a crown. E.g., C·M. RIC cfr 102. 3.16g 22mm Rare Dark Patina. Very beautiful. Ex Lanz 125 (28 Nov 2005), Lot 36. Ex Kunker 111 (18 Mar 2006), Lot 7174. Ex Elsen 91 (24 Mar 2007), Lot 359. Ex Elsen 152 (9 Sept 2022), Lot 152. Bastien in ANSMN 30, cf. RIC (Const.) 102 and 104 Note. 

image.jpeg.41bb65edefc0d8f822bfcc1cbd9912ca.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Smile 1

image.png.2cbd797203beacc3bf996da56c1196db.png

Domitian. AR Denarius (3.5 gr.), AD 81-96. Rome, Struck 14 September-31 December AD 91. Laureate head right / Minerva standing right on prow, holding spear and shield. RIC II 727; RSC 267. A magnificent portrait struck on a large flan and with an amazing grey toning. Candidate for finest known. Good Extremly fine.

Description from Superior Galleries Auctions.

@David Atherton says: "This common denarius was struck between 14 September and 31 December 91. All four standard Minerva types were minted for this issue with no unusual deviations"

---
My last ancient coin today. Will see what happens in real - if the coin arrived here.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

image.png.d27224221f92d4701aa3a14463844352.png

Kings of Macedon. Antigonos I Monophthalmos, as Strategos of Asia, 320-306/5 BC, or king, 306/5-301 BC. AR Drachm (4.5 gr.), 320-301 BC. In the name and types of Alexander III. Lampaskos, struck circa 310-301 BC. Head of Herakles to right, wearing lion skin headdress / AΛEΞANΔPOY Zeus seated left on low throne, holding long scepter in his left hand and eagle standing right with closed wings in his right; in left field, owl standing right, head facing; monogram below throne. Price 1965 corr. (owl facing right, not left).

image.png.ec7e7bbc1da0ecf91c2c3196fb12b8ed.png

Ptolemaic Kingdom. Ptolemy I Soter, as Satrap. AR Tetradrachm (17.1 gr.), 323-305 BC. In the name and types of Alexander III of Macedon. Sidon. Dated RY 18 of Abdalonymos, king of Sidon (316/5 BC). Head of Herakles to right, wearing lion skin headdress / AΛEΞANΔPOY Zeus seated left on low throne, holding long scepter in his left hand and eagle standing right with closed wings in his right; Σ (date) in left field, ΣI below throne. Price 3504; Newell, Dated 50 (unlisted dies); Rouvier 1150; DCA 877.

image.png.b37b93031a65b182b7d1e272420117b1.png

Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch. Philip II, as Caesar. BI Tetradrachm (11.5 gr.), AD 244-247. Struck under Philip I, AD 244. Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Eagle standing facing on palm branch, head left and tail right, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; S C in exergue. McAlee 1008; Prieur 332.

So that was all and that's the rest for tonight. I am satisfied so far, it was a nice auction.

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1