Post your latest ancient!

CPK

image.png.302313833f8a34d0693a57648ea4836c.png

Domitian, 81-96. Denarius (Silver, 19 mm, 3.18 g, 12 h), Rome, 82. IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M Laureate head of Domitian to right. Rev. TR POT COS VIII P P Dolphin coiled around anchor. BMC 29. Cohen 593. RIC 96.

image.png.ccb29be5a773b89fdc30e2ba9f7572e1.png

Domitian, as Caesar, 69-81. Denarius (Silver, 19 mm, 3.43 g, 7 h), Rome, 79. CAESAR AVG F DOMITIANVS COS VI Laureate head of Domitian to right. Rev. PRINCEPS IVVENTVTIS Salus standing right with her legs crossed, resting her left arm on column, holding serpent in her right hand and patera in her left. BMC 265. Cohen 384. RIC 1084. 

And that concludes the Flavier shopping tour for today. In the end, I will also start collecting Flavians. What a thought! 😉 

• Like 20
  • Yes 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

9 minutes ago, shanxi said:

Your Salus is fantastic

Thank you very much, very kind. And I thought you'd take the first coin with the dolphin. 

Hm. Thank you, perhaps not. That makes it even harder. It was clear that they were moving on. And now I'm really thinking about keeping them all. Now you're making it even harder..... 😄 
Pöser Bube Du!

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 2
  • Smile 1

I thought about bidding on the first one, too. Both are incredibly nice, but there are two coins for my Trajan collection that are waiting for my defeat in the mighty bidding wars.

Imho, I'd keep both of them. There's a huge chance that you'll never find better ones ;-) 

And I agree to shanxi, the second has such an incredible nice portrait from finest style. In combination with the reverse - keep it!

Edited by Mucius Scaevola
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

image.png.13cc32a38d4f9ceb277c4de0cedaa5b4.png

Imperator Caesar Nerva Traianus Augustus
Sestertius of the Roman Imperial Period 114/117 AD
Material: AE Bronze
Diameter: 34mm
Weight: 26.70g
Mint: Rome
Reference: RIC II Trajan 655

Obverse:
Bust of Trajan, laureate, draped, right. The Inscription reads: IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P for Imperator Caesar Nervae Traiano Optimo Augustus Germanicus Dacicus Pontifex Maximus Tribunicia Potestate Consul Sextum Pater Patriae (Imperator, Caesar, Nerva Trajan, the best emperor Augustus, conqueror of the Germans, conqueror of the Dacians, high priest, holder of tribunician power, consul for the sixth time, father of the nation).

Reverse:
Trajan, in military dress, seated right on high platform on left, by him stand two officers; in front of him stand an officer and four soldiers whom he is haranguing; behind in background, three standards. The Inscription reads: IMPERATOR VIII S C for Imperator Octavum Senatus Consultum (Imperator for the eighth time. Decree of the senate).

Don't fall asleep here ladies and gentlemen.... 😄 
  • Like 15
  • Gasp 1
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

17 minutes ago, Mucius Scaevola said:

If you allow me to be honest..that coin looks odd to me. I can't even tell you why but everything, from the wear to the patina, is ringing the bells in my belly. Don't get me wrong, I'm the last that wants to say sth bad about coins. I asked a friend of mine and he says pretty much the same. 

All good. No problem. Comments are always welcome. You mean well. The provenience has already been cross-checked. Everything looks good. It has also been checked against many counterfeits - all good. The type does look like this.

• Like 3

We misunderstood each other. It's not fake, for sure. But it looks like someone tooled it and tried to hide it with the patina. That were my thoughts. I just want to you to make sure it isn't, as you could get your money back if it's the case.

You know I adore your coins, but here I had to tell you my thoughts. (Only my thoughts, not saying that it is a fact, my friend)

Edited by Mucius Scaevola
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mucius Scaevola said:

You know I adore your coins, but here I had to tell you my thoughts. (Only my thoughts, not saying that it is a fact, my friend)

All good 😉 

You don't have to keep apologising. I know this is well-intentioned advice. It's all good. I am not angry about it. On the contrary. It must be allowed to write about it fairly and objectively, even if you have concerns!

• Like 2

• Benefactor

Here's another post-auction pick up, a type coin acquisition.

Anonymous AR Didrachm (Quadrigatus). Rome, circa 225-214 BC. Laureate head of Janus / Jupiter standing in galloping quadriga driven by Victory to right, holding sceptre and reins, brandishing thunderbolt overhead; ROMA incuse on tablet below. Crawford 28/3; BMCRR Romano-Campanian 78-99; RBW 67; RSC 23. 6.43g, 20mm, 5h.

From the Terner Collection;
Acquired from Freeman & Sear.

1333971834_D-CameraRomanRepublicAnonymousDidrachmc.225-214BCCrawford28-36.43gRoma1009208-30-22.jpg.d12e65e112a22f997dfb1d016d50b750.jpg

• Like 16

Hemidrachm of the Lycian League Period late 30s-27 BC
Material: Silver
Diameter: 16mm
Weight: 1.67g
Mint: Cragus, Lycia
Reference: RPC I 3312, SNG Copenhagen 60
Obverse: Laureate head of Apollo right; Λ-Y flanking.
Reverse: Cithara in incuse square. The inscription reads: KP for (ΛΥΚΙΩΝ) ΚΡ(ΑΓΟϹ) means Lykion Kragos.

A small Greek newcomer. I'm starting to worry with so many Greeks. Soon I'll have more Greeks than Romans, and that's not good... 😬😂

669F4339-3412-413A-A0EF-FC5B0E500F23.jpeg

• Like 14

Valentinian II Siliqua, 388-392image.png.7e105361a8f3b1d2baed99082436bb0c.pngTreveri. Silver, 19mm, 1.63g. Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; D N VALENTINI-ANVS P F AVG. Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reversed spear; VIRTVS RO-MANORVM; TRPS in exergue (RIC IX, 94a). From the Gussage All Saints (Dorset) Hoard 2010.

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

I would have overlooked this Faustina II denarius, which was incorrectly attributed by the seller, if I had not received a hint from @Roman Collector. Thank you.

The type is described by RIC only for Aurei. However, there are a handful of denarii with two different obverses.

In contrast to the normal version (RIC 731) Venus does not hold Victoria but the three Graces: Aglaea ("Shining"), Euphrosyne ("Joy"), and Thalia ("Blooming").

Another gap closed in my Faustina II collection.

Faustina_II_R844b.jpg.587c7861878244aa78f23abba81f12d3.jpg

Faustina II
AR-Denar, Rome
Obv.: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust right
Rev.: VENVS FELIX, Venus seated left, holding the three graces and sceptre
Ag, 2.76g, 18mm
Ref.: RIC III -, CRE 241 [R2]

956653036_The_Three_Graces_from_Pompeii_(fresco).jpg.4d7d592f33e4ea613acb2841c8582fd0.jpg

See also this old thread from @Roman Collector:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/three-graces-in-miniature-on-unlisted-denarius-of-faustina-ii.291264/

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1

2 hours ago, shanxi said:

I would have overlooked this Faustina II denarius, which was incorrectly attributed by the seller, if I had not received a hint from @Roman Collector. Thank you.

The denarius  is described by RIC only for Aurei. However, there are a handful of denarii with two different obverses.

In contrast to the normal version (RIC 731) Venus does not hold Victoria but the three Graces: Aglaea ("Shining"), Euphrosyne ("Joy"), and Thalia ("Blooming").

Another gap closed in my Faustina II collection.

Faustina_II_R844b.jpg.587c7861878244aa78f23abba81f12d3.jpg

Faustina II
AR-Denar, Rome
Obv.: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust right
Rev.: VENVS FELIX, Venus seated left, holding the three graces and sceptre
Ag, 2.76g, 18mm
Ref.: RIC III -, CRE 241 [R2]

956653036_The_Three_Graces_from_Pompeii_(fresco).jpg.4d7d592f33e4ea613acb2841c8582fd0.jpg

See also this old thread from @Roman Collector:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/three-graces-in-miniature-on-unlisted-denarius-of-faustina-ii.291264/

I'm very happy for you!

• Like 3

image.png.16ba3fc2967a8ef2f2952406e4adeca2.png

M. Baebius Q. f. Tampilus.  AR Denarius, 137 BC.  Obv.  Helmeted head of Roma left, X below chin, TAMPIL behind.  Rev.  Apollo in quadriga right, ROMA below horses, M. BAEBI. Q. F. in exergue.  Cr. 236/1; B. 12. AR.  3.91 g.  17.50 mm.  Full weight. A nice example with bluish cabinet tone.About EF.

image.png.af6de46718ea2473b736f4e212185851.png

Q. Fabius Labeo.  AR Denarius, circa 124 BC.  Obv.  Helmeted head of Roma right; behind, ROMA downwards; before, X and LABEO upwards.  Rev.Jupiter in quadriga right, holding sceptre and reins in left hand and hurling thunderbolt with right hand. Below, rostrum. In exergue: Q.FABI.  Cr. 273/1; B. 1.  AR.  4.00 g.  19.00 mm.  A choice example welle detailed and complete. Lovely iridescent cabinet tone.  EF.

image.png.6eb8842ceba95935e6fb21cf3011220f.png

M. Iunius Brutus.  AR Denarius, Rome mint, 54 BC.  Obv.  Head of Libertas right; on the left, LIBERTAS.  Rev. The consul L. Iunius Brutus walking left between two lictors preceded by an accensus; in exergue, BRVTVS. Cr. 433/1; B. 31 (Junia).  AR.  4.36 g.  20.00 mm.  Banker's mark on obverse. Exceptionally overweight. Brilliant and centered.  EF.

Don't hang me...  😄 the texts are 1:1 from the auction description, i haven't been able to check anything against it yet. 

These are my acquisitions from today from the Artemide Aste auction. Did someone here bend me up again? 🙂 No fun. That's how it is. For me, the auctioneer in the library room has become quite stylish. Wonderful. He had some nice pieces with him again today. Did any of you buy anything else at this auction?

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 8/31/2022 at 5:18 PM, John Conduitt said:

Valentinian II Siliqua, 388-392image.png.7e105361a8f3b1d2baed99082436bb0c.pngTreveri. Silver, 19mm, 1.63g. Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; D N VALENTINI-ANVS P F AVG. Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reversed spear; VIRTVS RO-MANORVM; TRPS in exergue (RIC IX, 94a). From the Gussage All Saints (Dorset) Hoard 2010.

Wow, thats a nice one. Congrats!👾

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

M. Baebius Q. f. Tampilus.  AR Denarius, 137 BC.  Obv.  Helmeted head of Roma left, X below chin, TAMPIL behind.  Rev.  Apollo in quadriga right, ROMA below horses, M. BAEBI. Q. F. in exergue.  Cr. 236/1; B. 12. AR.  3.91 g.  17.50 mm.  Full weight. A nice example with bluish cabinet tone.About EF.

Q. Fabius Labeo.  AR Denarius, circa 124 BC.  Obv.  Helmeted head of Roma right; behind, ROMA downwards; before, X and LABEO upwards.  Rev.Jupiter in quadriga right, holding sceptre and reins in left hand and hurling thunderbolt with right hand. Below, rostrum. In exergue: Q.FABI.  Cr. 273/1; B. 1.  AR.  4.00 g.  19.00 mm.  A choice example welle detailed and complete. Lovely iridescent cabinet tone.  EF.

M. Iunius Brutus.  AR Denarius, Rome mint, 54 BC.  Obv.  Head of Libertas right; on the left, LIBERTAS.  Rev. The consul L. Iunius Brutus walking left between two lictors preceded by an accensus; in exergue, BRVTVS. Cr. 433/1; B. 31 (Junia).  AR.  4.36 g.  20.00 mm.  Banker's mark on obverse. Exceptionally overweight. Brilliant and centered.  EF.

Don't hang me...  😄 the texts are 1:1 from the auction description, i haven't been able to check anything against it yet. 

These are my acquisitions from today from the Artemide Aste auction. Did someone here bend me up again? 🙂 No fun. That's how it is. For me, the auctioneer in the library room has become quite stylish. Wonderful. He had some nice pieces with him again today. Did any of you buy anything else at this auction?

Artemide Aste, i placed one bid and lost the target coin, lot 332, went way above what i was willing to pay

i was watching Brutus, but because of banker’s marks decided not to bid on it!

Edited by El Cazador
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

These are my acquisitions from today from the Artemide Aste auction. Did someone here bend me up again? 🙂 No fun. That's how it is. For me, the auctioneer in the library room has become quite stylish. Wonderful. He had some nice pieces with him again today. Did any of you buy anything else at 

Edited by El Cazador
  • Like 1