I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

Mytilene_0.jpg.79bf1e29b5de3f0300e5a9b5d11221a7.jpg

Lesbos, Mytilene. Antoninus Pius AE18

Obv: ΑVΤ ΑΙ ΑΔΡΙΑ ΑΝΤΩΝƐΙΝ[ΟС?] / Laureate head of Antoninus Pius, r.
Rev: ΜVΤΙΛΗΝΑΙΩΝ / female figure (Aphrodite?) standing, facing, head, l., holding patera and transverse sceptre.
RPC IV, 2627

• Like 3
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1

@AncientOne, it just so happens that you picked my favorite track on the album that I have to think marks the apex of (to shamelessly quote myself) the Stones' artistic achievement.  Coming from a confirmed blues curmudgeon, it took them a decade to get to this level, but they did.  The slide player kicks something All Over the Block.

Personally, I still have to prefer the studio version --but that's true of most people I like from the '70's, across genres.  ...Probably the only exception would be the Dead.  But Jagger liked to forget lines, and the Wailers (the instrumental band, not the vocal trio) always sound more mechanical than the studio version, instead of less.

...Wait, that's what we need; some Dead.  Gimme a minute.

Well, first a coin.  

NETHERLANDS. Groningen or imitation. Wilhelm and Heinrich III/IV (1054-1076).  ...

Got this on the cheap; I have a solid example, and am hoping it is an imitation.  Kinda looks like one.  Please note the bishop's tonsure on the reverse; don't know of any other contemporary rendering of that on a coin.  Directly from the Naumann listing (last auction):

NETHERLANDS. Groningen or imitation. Wilhelm and Heinrich III/IV (1054-1076).

Obv: Crowned bust facing.
Rev: Bishop bust facing, holding crozier; annulet to right.

Cf. Ilisch 18.10.

Condition: Very fine.

Weight: 0.87 g.
Diameter: 18 mm.

...From one of the greatest live albums of the early '70's.  Personal note: the only time I was in Europe, the year after this (I was 11), the family was camping in Calais, waiting for the ferry to Dover.  I'll never forget the French hippies who were playing some kind of horseshoes, but with big knives.  Yeah, festival seating wasn't so much of a thing then, either.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 5

• Benefactor

Nice tunes and great coins, fellas ... hey, what are you guys doing, clogging-up my private tunes-thread???

😜

Fun ... I love this place

Ummm, sadly, Jean never seems to care too much for 80% of my tunes, but I don't think that really matters in a world where "artistic-stuff" is a merely a matter of opinion, yes? (I'm glad that we all seem to have different opinions/tastes, so there are always enough cool coins to go around!!)

=> Cheers, coin-my friends (I hope your Monday is going as well as mine!! Top-drawer!)

cheers.gif

Edited by Steve
  • Like 1

• Benefactor

... ummm, and on that note ... 

=> here is a cool tune (crank it and get busy collecting fricken coins!!)

=> Coins Rock!!

Ionia, Teos AR Drachm

375 B.C. Hagnon, magistrate

Diameter: 16 MM

Weight: 3.4grams

Obverse: Griffin seated right, raising forepaw

Reverse: Quadripartite incuse square with granulated quarters and thick crossbars; ZHIΩN on horizontal crossbar, AΓ-NΩN on vertical crossbar

Reference: Kinns 11; SNG Copenhagen 1443

Other: 6h … amazingly cool rainbow toning

Ex-stevex6

Ionia Teos Gryphon.jpg

... okay Jean ... no judging!! (I like you)

😘

Edited by Steve
  • Like 4

• Benefactor

I feel like I should post this cool tune ... it's my sweet wife's favourite tune (and she rocks and I don't deserve her, big-time! ... but whatev)

EGYPT, Alexandria. Saloninus. As Caesar

BI Tetradrachm

AD 258-260

Dated RY 7 of Valerian I and Gallienus (AD 259/60)

Diameter: 22 mm

Weight: 13.00 grams

Obverse: Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust right

Reverse: Eagle standing left, head right, holding wreath in beak; L Z (date) across field

Reference: Köln 3005; Dattari (Savio) 5377; K&G 93.8

Other: 12h … even brown surfaces. Rare

Ex-stevex6 … From the Robert M. Harlick Collection

saloninus.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Steve said:

Nice tunes and great coins, fellas ... hey, what are you guys doing, clogging-up my private tunes-thread???

😜

Fun ... I love this place

Ummm, sadly, Jean never seems to care too much for 80% of my tunes, but I don't think that really matters in a world where "artistic-stuff" is a merely a matter of opinion, yes? (I'm glad that we all seem to have different opinions/tastes, so there are always enough cool coins to go around!!)

=> Cheers, coin-my friends (I hope your Monday is going as well as mine!! Top-drawer!)

cheers.gif

No, Steve, you're the heart of coolitude.  '

(...mmmBesides some of the music.  Here's some full disclosure, just because you're owed it.  Where pop music is concerned, it's like, having lived through them, I have to think of "80's nostalgia" as an oxymoron.  The entire decade drove me deeper into '70's blues rock, blues, reggae, and eventually jazz.  I was in my twenties, and was already entering the musical equivalent of middle age.  ...To reiterate, just some full disclosure, since you're owed it.)

(Edit:)  Oh, No, now some Journey!  Honestly, you have some Uncanny Genius for liking Everything I Hate!  --Right, especially having been subjected to it on every radio that was on, back in the day.  ...But, No, I get it that, outside of music, you're some good people.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1

• Benefactor

ahaha => I get it ... you're older than me

Ummm, I graduated high-school in 1981, when Disco was at its climax!! (awful, right?) ... ummm, except for a few cool ol' Stones Tunes that I'm about to play you ("Hi")

... however, luckily, I was also able to snag a love for some great ol' classic-rock from my older sibling's era (probably your era?) and I was also cocky enough to listen to the few cool-tunes during the past few decades (ummm, they do still crank-out tunes, just in case you were confused)

; )

... anyway ... you seem fun, so there's that

Ummm, am I allowed to play a couple of cool tunes from the Stones, during those sad Disco years? ... I actually love the album Some Girls, so again, there's that ... hi

=> here are 2 sweet songs from that album (I was just a dirty lil' pup)

The Rolling Stones - Miss You - OFFICIAL PROMO - Bing video

The Rolling Stones - Beast Of Burden - Live OFFICIAL - Bing video

... ooops, I forgot to post a coin ... here is a random coin (have a great Monday, Jean)

PHOENICIA, Tyre. Trajan AR Tetradrachm

AD 98-117

Struck AD 110/1

Diameter: 27 mm

Weight: 14.44 grams

Obverse: Laureate head right; below, club left and eagle standing right with wings folded

Reverse: Tyche seated right, foot set on river-god swimming to right below

Reference: McAlee 470 (Antioch); Prieur 1498

Other: 7h ... toned, some porosity, light scratches in field on obverse, slight die shift on reverse

Ex-stevex6

Trajan & Tyche.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 3

@Steve, this time you nailed it.  Between this album and Exile on Main Street, you have all the Stones you need to sustain intelligent life.  It's that emphatically my second favorite.  ...For one minute, they were going back to what they were better at in the first place.

(Where Disco is concerned, you really need to sort it out between the progenitors of the genre, and the people who made orders of magnitude more money imitating them. 

(For yours truly, it's in the sphere of music that the contemporary term, 'appropriation' resonates the most loudly. 

(Beginning at least from Ragtime.  Compared to the likes of Scott Joplin, Arthur Marshall, James Scott and Joseph Lamb, people on the level of Zez Confrey shamelessly exploited and distorted the genre, making obscene amounts of money in the process.  Kind of like what the Bee Gees did with Disco.  ...And now, at least where Disco is concerned, everyone who can't remember anything that preceded them cordially hates the entire genre.

(In its appropriate context, 'appropriation' amounts to the cultural equivalent of colonialism.)

...Given which, I'm still leery of applying the term too broadly.  Sometimes, people just wanted to learn what there was to learn.  Here's another example of that, from Some Girls.   Thank you, if you need to call this 'appropriation,' it's as much in reference to country music as blues.  ...Anyway, as a self-described Christian and recovering preacher's kid, I kind of need it.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 2
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor

Sweet tune ... ummm, but you somehow forgot to post a cool coin, my old coin-friend

Cheers

😘

Here is a Stones to from the "New Era" ... they were old when they wrote this, but still pretty cool, right? (or not?)

The Rolling Stones - Love Is Strong - OFFICIAL PROMO - Bing video

Roman Republic Anonymous AR Victoriatus.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 3

I've been listening to more Fatima Mansions, so here are a couple of tracks - from the brilliant "Viva Dead Ponies", here's "Look What I stold For Us, Darling".   (For those who don't speak the Klingon, the intro. starts with some Irish language news story about a 15 year old girl being taken by Air Corps helicopter from Sherkin Island, presumably after an accident)

And from two years later, the title track on "Valhalla Avenue".

Here's a coin I picked up this year that I'd wanted for a while...

Moneyer: T. Vettius Sabinus
Coin: Silver Denarius
TA / SABINVS / S·C - Head of King Tatius right
Togate figure in biga left, holding reins in right hand and magistrate's staff in left hand - IVDEX
Exergue: T·VETTIVS
Mint: Rome (70 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.93g / 20mm / 6h
References:
  • RSC 2 (Vettia)
  • Sydenham 905
  • Crawford 404/1
  • BMCRR Rome 3370
Provenances:
  • Ex. Augustus Brown, November 1970
Acquisition: DNW Online auction #1305 13-Apr-2022

spacer.png

spacer.png

ATB,

Aidan.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

I have to think of "80's nostalgia" as an oxymoron. 

Ditto! So tired of classic rock.  I still listen to some just not the for the millionth time.

tripolis_0.jpg.c5422bd25a2c83705ffaacb7e9f690b0.jpg

Lydia, Tripolis. Tiberius AE20

Obv: TIBEΡION KAIΣAΡA TΡIΠOΛEITAI, laureate head right.
Rev: MENANΔΡOΣ ΦIΛOKAIΣAΡ TO Δ, radiate, draped bust of Helios right.
Magistrate Menandros Metrodoros.
RPC I 3056.

• Like 3

Here's an old coin, one of the first I acquired for my collection.

[IMG]
Augustus and Livia, issued under Tiberius, AD 14-29.
Roman provincial Æ 31 mm, 21.48 g.
Spain, Hispalis, Colonia Romula, AD 14-29.
Obv: PERM DIVI AVG COL ROM, radiate head of Augustus right; thunderbolt before, star above.
Rev: IVLIA AVGVSTA GENETRIX ORBIS, head of Livia, left; globe beneath, crescent above.
Refs: RPC-73; SGI-189; Heiss 393, 2; Cohen 169, 3; Alvarez-Burgos 1587; Lindgren II 69; SNG Tubingen 118; SNG Copenhagen 423.13.35.

• Like 6

• Benefactor

... yup, it's that time of day once again ... 

The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun (Music Video) [4K HD] - Bing video

Pontos, Amisos Æ 26

(Under Mithradates VI Eupator)

Circa 120-111 or 100-95 BC

Diameter: 26 mm

Weight: 21.10 grams

Obverse: Draped bust right, wearing bashlik

Reverse: AMI-ΣOY across field, quiver and unstrung bow

Reference: Callataÿ p. 248, 19; SNG BM 1135-8; Malloy 12; RG 13; Hoover 236

Other: 12 h … Nice surfaces. Attractive brown patina

Ex-stevex6

Pontos Amisos Mithradates VI.jpg

I hope that everybody is in a great mood today? (I am loving Tuesday, so far)

... ummm, hopefully Jean is is a good mood

😘

Edited by Steve
  • Like 7

• Benefactor

Yup , its' that time o' day once again, coin-gang ...

=> it's sip-n-tune-time!!

Iggy Pop - Lust For Life - Bing video

SICILY, Selinos Cast Æ Tetras (3 Onkia)

Circa 450-440 BC ... so fricken old, right?

Diameter: 21 mm

Weight: 11.64 grams

Obverse: Facing Gorgoneion

Reverse: Selinon leaf; three pellets around

Reference: Price, Selinus, Group IIB; CNS 3 (Trias); Thurlow & Vecchi 310; SNG Morcom –; SNG ANS –; SNG Lloyd –; HGC 2, 1232

Other: 12h … dark green patina … I dare ya to find a better one than this baby!

Ex-stevex-6 … From the L.C. Aes Grave Collection

Selinos Tetras.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 6

Christone “Kingfish” Ingram is one of the most talented blues guitarists working today.

[IMG]
Time of Valerian I to Gallienus, AD 253-268.
Roman provincial Æ 23.2 mm, 5.86 g, 6 h.
Troas, Alexandria Troas, AD 253-268.
Obv: CO ALEX TRO, turreted and draped bust of Tyche, right, with vexillum inscribed CO/AV over shoulder.
Rev: COL AVGO TROA, Marsyas standing right on pedestal, holding wineskin.
Refs: Bellinger A497; SNG Copenhagen 103; SNG von Aulock 1463; BMC --.

• Like 4
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Sure, the coin is okay too.

Except, Kingfish.  Just, Only.

I never especially liked Hendrix's own reading of this, on his first album.  Mostly because, people on the level of Hendrix had this way of getting better as they went along.  

...I'm needing some more Kingfish.  Thank you, @Roman Collector.

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Close enough => it's Happy Hour somewhere!

Ummm, I figured that I'd toss-in another cool collectible from a different collection

=> a Jerry Rice Rookie Card (that is "American" Football, so some folks probably won't even know who this dude is, eh?)

jerry.jpg

Awww, WTF, I'll toss-in a cool ancient coin as well (I don't want Jean to turn on me!)

😘

Antoninus Pius AE Colourful.jpg

I hope that all of you coiners are having a great Thursday (my Thursday is fantastic, so far)

Edited by Steve
  • Like 6

eumeneia_0.jpg.660d785f3b460e70721c78bfd7ddd579.jpg

Phrygia, Eumenia. Domitian AE20

Obv: ΑΥ ΔΟΜΙΤΙΑΝΟϹ ΚΑΙ ΓƐΡΜΑΝΙΚΟϹ, laureate head of Domitian, r.
Rev: ƐΙϹΑΝΓƐΙΛΑΝΤΟϹ Μ ΚΛ ΟΥΑΛƐΡΙΑΝΟΥ ΑΡΧΙ ΑϹΙΑϹ ƐΥΜƐΝƐΩΝ, Apollo standing, l., with raven and double axe.
Magistrate M Kl Valerianos (high priest).
RPC II, 1386.

• Like 4

• Benefactor

Nice!! ... I love both of today's coin-gang tunes!! (both great bands!!)

=> here is another amazing classic from another cool ol' band(s) from my youth ... 

THESSALY, Lamia, AR Hemidrachm

Circa 350-300 BC

Diameter: 15 mm

Weight: 2.58 grams

Obverse: Head of young Dionysos left, wearing ivy wreath

Reverse: ΛMΑΙΕ ΩΝ, amphora; ivy leaf above; to right, prochous with handle to right

Reference: Georgiou, Mint 11; BCD Thessaly II 127.3; HGC 4, 120

Other: 3h … lightly toned, minor porosity

Ex-stevex6 … From the BCD Collection

Thessaly Lamia Amphora.jpg

... AncientOne and thenickelguy => I hope that both of you are having a great Friday (have a great weekend)

Cheers

Edited by Steve
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, AncientOne said:

I wish I had a coin that was as appealing as this video.

Miletos_(2).jpg.6b7c89e8adbda7d9b23f2769b37b75e4.jpg

Ionia, Miletos. 520-450 BC.

Obv: Forepart of a roaring lion left, head turned back to right.
Rev: Stellate pattern within incuse square.
Diobol AR 8mm.

Just, Church.  Of God, In Christ.  This kicks it across the street.  The music (and lyrics) are as good as the video ...if Anything could be as good as the video.

And the coin is nothing to sneeze at, either.  If I finally got one of those, I'd want it to look like yours.

• Like 1

It's hot, so we need a summer song.

Sol rules

normal_Probus_01_0.jpg.a6e65c5e0f6a3a2e90dd2675770ca731.jpg

Probus (276-282)
Antoninianus, Rome
Obv.: IMP PROBVS AVG, Radiate bust left in imperial mantle, holding sceptre surmounted by eagle.
Rev.: SOLI INVICTO, R /crescent and star/ E in ex, Sol driving quadriga left, raising hand, holding globe and whip
4.43g, 22.4mm
Ref.: RIC 202

• Like 5