I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

Happy Independence Day USA !

Eagle.jpg.9d118cfcdf160f299cfc0a7400792943.jpg

I saw my video was missing today, 01/30/23, so I found another. It's the BEST version ever.

So I am adding this original Upper Canada Colonial Britannia Eagle Token of which I also have the other three imitation varieties dated 1813 1814 and 1815.

1813origBrittaniaEagleOBV.jpg.2bf3af223ccebce53eee0fdcdfea8b65.jpg

1813origBrittaniaEagleREV.jpg.9c3af3a1d79780adaa60f179c2e018f5.jpg

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 8

• Benefactor

I love it when I like/appreciate "both" versions of a classic ... ummm, and "both" are now probably old enough to be "classics" ... yes?

I grew-up cranking Nazareth, smokin' weed, experimenting with booze and drugs and chasing chicks that treated me like crap 

=> it was fricken AWESOME!!

Hadrian Æ Dupondius (below)

Rome mint

AD 117-138

Struck AD 125-128

Diameter: 26 mm

Weight: 11.24 grams

Obverse: Radiate bust right, slight drapery

Reverse: Pegasus right

Other: 6h ... RIC II 758 … Near VF, greenish-brown patina.

Ex-stevex6 … From the Robert O. Ebert Collection

Hadrian Pegasus.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 8

• Benefactor

Here is another example ... a couple of fricken classic versions of a classic tune ... yah, I'm day-drinking (no judgers)

Roman Republic

Post Reform Æ Semis (Anonymous)

Circa 88 BC (?)

Rome mint

Diameter: 21mm

Weight: 5.96 grams

Obverse: Laureate head of Jupiter right; S (mark of value) behind

Reverse: Prow of galley right; S (mark of value) above; to right, dolphin downward, ROMA in exergue

Reference: Crawford –; Sydenham –; BMCRR II, p. 589, 10

Other: 2h, dark green patina

Ex-stevex6

AE Semis.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 8

@Steve, I have to like alternate interpretations.  (...Even in something as seemingly tame as Baroque music.  No, we're not going there today.)  --And who can't not be a fan of Joni Mitchell?

...Anyway, here are a couple more, in honor of the festivities emanating from the open window (Pacific time).

First, a Coin!  This is my second denier of Robert I, coissued with Adalberon, archbishiop of Laon.  (Duplessy, Royales, 8.)  One was good for the flan; this was good for the detail.  (...Promise you, this is what you get!)

1714952_1613979351.jpg

(Edit:) Makes me wonder why nobody shot Hendrix.

Edited by JeandAcre
stuff
  • Like 8

A german history lesson:

normal_Augustus_1.jpg.a1260a96ce661f523cd2556d2f7bedb6.jpg

Augustus Denarius
Obv.: Laureate head of Augustus right, CAESAR AUGVSTVS DIVI F PATER PATRIAE
Rev.: Gaius and Lucius Caesar standing facing, resting hand on shields, lituus and simpulum above, C L CAESARES AVGUVSTI F COS DESIG PRINC IVVENT
Ref.: RSC 43, RIC 207

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 8

Aquarius on a coin and in a song

normal_Gordianus_III_15.jpg.beadb953e0199d8b4938bdbcef5fef8d.jpg

Gordian III, (238-244)
Mesopotamia, Carrhae
Obv.: [...] K M ANT ΓOΡΔIANOC CEB, laureate bust right
Rev.: MHTP KOΛ [KAPPHNωN], draped bust of Tyche left, looking at a statue of Aquarius on short pedestal.
[KAPPHNωN from a die match]
AE, 15.09g, 28.1mm
Ref.: BMC 57

• Like 8

• Benefactor

ahaha ... JeandAcre => I gave you a "like" for the Whitney version of the anthem ... ummm, but I didn't give you a "like" for your Jimi comment  

=> Jimi may have dropped the ball a bit on that anthem-tune, but man, he could play a mean guitar!! (oh, and I think the crowd that day probably really liked Jimi's version ... I think acid would have really made it sound like a winna-winna?!)

😜

Oh, and on that note, here is another great example of me liking "both" versions of a classic tune ... 

SPAIN, Emerita. Tiberius, Æ Dupondius

14-37 AD

Diameter: 35 mm

Weight: 23.85 grams

Obverse: Laureate head left

Reverse: City-view seen from aerial perspective: city wall with five T-shaped crenellations fronted by main gate consisting of two arched bays flanked by two multi-story crenellated towers, each with arched window; gate inscribed AVGVSTA/EMERITA and decorated with four T-shaped crenellations

Reference: ACIP 3407a; RPC I 41

Other: 9h … sweet black patina

Ex-stevex6 … Ex Archer M. Huntington Collection

Tiberius Emerita.jpg

• Like 8
  • Clap 1

Here's an alternate version of a classic tune.

[IMG]
Constantine I, AD 307-337.
Roman billon centenionalis, 2.22 g, 17.8 mm, 6 h.
Siscia, AD 334-335.
Obv: CONSTAN-TINOPOLIS, bust of Constantinopolis, laureate, helmeted, wearing imperial cloak, left, holding reversed spear in right hand.
Rev: Victory, winged, draped, standing left on prow, holding spear in right hand and shield in left hand; •BSIS• in exergue.
Refs: RIC vii, p. 456, 241; RVC 16469; LRBC I 751; Cohen 21.

• Like 9
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

Hopefully I haven't already done this one??? ... this chick and Stevie Nicks were my childhood rock-chick fantasies!!

... awwww crap, I might as well do a double-shot, eh?? ... Stevie Nicks was smokin'

Hmmmm?? ... ummm, is Plautilla also smokin' hot???

Plautilla, AE26, Nicopolis, Moesia

Augusta AD 202 – 205

13.33g. 26mm.

Obverse: Plautilla, the wife of Caracalla (Her draped bust right)

Reverse: Eagle standing front on globe, head right, wreath in beak

Reference: Moushmoff 1159; Pick 1636; Varbanov 3174

Other: Nice lookin’ coin with an even olive patina

Ex-stevex6

Plautilla.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 8

On 7/5/2022 at 6:38 AM, Steve said:

ahaha ... JeandAcre => I gave you a "like" for the Whitney version of the anthem ... ummm, but I didn't give you a "like" for your Jimi comment  

=> Jimi may have dropped the ball a bit on that anthem-tune, but man, he could play a mean guitar!! (oh, and I think the crowd that day probably really liked Jimi's version ... I think acid would have really made it sound like a winna-winna?!)

😜

Oh, and on that note, here is another great example of me liking "both" versions of a classic tune ... 

SPAIN, Emerita. Tiberius, Æ Dupondius

14-37 AD

Diameter: 35 mm

Weight: 23.85 grams

Obverse: Laureate head left

Reverse: City-view seen from aerial perspective: city wall with five T-shaped crenellations fronted by main gate consisting of two arched bays flanked by two multi-story crenellated towers, each with arched window; gate inscribed AVGVSTA/EMERITA and decorated with four T-shaped crenellations

Reference: ACIP 3407a; RPC I 41

Other: 9h … sweet black patina

Ex-stevex6 … Ex Archer M. Huntington Collection

Tiberius Emerita.jpg

@SteveI couldn't be more on your page about Dylan and Hendrix being worthy of each other's company!  (My two favorite Dylan albums --kind of the minimum you need to sustain intelligent life-- are Blonde On Blonde and Planet Waves.)

...But to fully appreciate what Hendrix was doing, you have to hear it in terms of his very real anguish at what was happening in front of his face.  Less 'Let's burn it down!' than, 'Oh (expletive of choice), It's Burning Down.'

That's how I hear his live reading of 'Machine Gun' on 'Band of Gypsies.'  The spoken intro really sets the tone. 

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 4
  • Yes 1

I got some Dylan!

[IMG]
Sabina, AD 117-137.
Roman AR denarius, 3.07 g, 18.4 mm, 5 h.
Rome, AD 137-38.
Obv: DIVA AVG SABINA, Corn-wreathed, veiled and draped bust of Sabina, right, with hair in bun at nape of neck.
Rev: PIETATI AVG, ustrinum with doors in front and antefixae on corners above.
Refs: RIC II.3 (second edition) 2607; RIC 422a; BMCRE 961; Cohen/RSC 56; Strack 387; Hill UCR 764; RCV 3896; CRE 30.

• Like 8

Thanks, @Roman Collector!  Sweet coin, too. 

So how badly did I need some more Dylan?  Badly enough to find a completely random coin, that maybe hasn't been posted for a minute.  First, though, the coin (the one of two that a picture is findable of).

image.jpeg.6d68d0431228d04d61623d41d03c195f.jpeg

Frankish Jerusalem (i.e., Acre); 1192-1197.  Henri of Champagne (a cadet of the comital house) as 'king' by marriage, but following the lead of Godfrey of Bouillon, and eschewing the royal title.  AE pougeise (fractional denier).

Obv. +COMES HENRICVS.  (Please note the rendering of the 'M,' sort of like, 'O).'  I've run across this most often in issues of the archbishops of Rheims, in Champagne, from the 12th and 13th centuries.  Right, some of the archbishops were cadets of the same family.)

Rev. Fleur de lis.  (And this is cool, for naming the denomination as well as the mint:) +PVGES D'ACCON.  (Malloy /CCS, 1st ed., 1994, Jerusalem [kingdom]; p. 77, #33.)

...I started out wanting something from 'Blonde On Blonde,' but this album, my other all-time favorite, is maybe a little underappreciated, at least by comparison.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 7
  • Cookie 1

Suzi Quatro 1973 and 49 years later

normal_Plautilla_R678.jpg.eb177e0a298fb227fa77c59c715b9389.jpg

Plautilla
AR Denarius, Laodicea
Obv.: PLAVTILLAE AVGVSTAE, draped bust of Plautilla right
Rev.: CONCORDIAE, Concordia seated left on backless throne, holding patera and double cornucopiae.
Ref.: RIC IVa 370, CRE 426 [S]
AR, 3.20g

• Like 4
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1

Bob is the man. 

unknown2.jpg.b979ffea9e01551618b71b2ace0b2c4d.jpg

Uncertain, Uncertain. Augustus Æ16. Hercules/Mercury.

Obv: T VOMANIVS IIVIR QVINQ, head of Hercules, r.; club behind neck.
Rev: M MEMMIV FLAM QVINQ ITER, bust of Mercury, r., with caduceus.
Magistrates T. Vomanius (duovir quinquennalis for the second time); M. Memmius Flam(—) (duovir quinquennalis for the second time).
RPC I, 5414

RPC note: 5412-4: The above issue, struck in three denominations, has raised problems of interpretation and mint. Only 5413 and 5414 have been published before; series 5412 is unpublished. [see RPC I, p. 716 for full comment]. This attribution [to Heraclea] is no longer possible, now that we know that the issue was struck in 26 BC. But the problem remains insoluble: the issue was struck by a colony that had existed at least ten years in 26 BC and had been founded during the Triumvirate. All the new specimens that have turned up recently are from Turkey, though unfortunately without an exact provenance; Cilicia seems to be the only area that can be ruled out (according to E. Levante). The humped bull on 5412 might suggest that it was struck in southeastern Anatolia, and the same goes for the twin goddesses on series 5413, where the closest parallel is indeed Comama or, slightly less likely, Aspendos (see L. Robert, Hellenica XI-XII (1960), pp. 176–88). The colonies of Antioch, Olbasa, Comama, Cremna, Parlais or Lystra are among the possibilities, except that they are all thought to have been founded by Augustus. This issue would therefore indicate that one of them was in fact founded earlier or that there was another colony, hitherto unknown.

• Like 6

@CPK, I generally take a long break between late Bach and late Beethoven.  But this is truly broadening my horizons.  Especially thanks to Bernard Haitink and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra --who, until now, were vaguely known by reputation. 

And the video is Helping!  As with lots of jazz and Baroque (in both cases, esp. at the level of chamber music), the visual side of what's happening gives you a whole dimension of the dynamics between the players.

And if you needed any more about the expansion of my horizons, your didrachm is On That Page.  Where Greek coins are concerned, I always looked down my nose at the 4th century BCE.  But this example profoundly demonstrates that, No, the Hellenic (vs. Hellenistic) esthetic really was happening all the way to the time of Alexander III.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 4

Riffing from @CPK, here's my favorite YouTube video of late Bach, also very live.

First, a denaro of Genoa, immobilized in the name of Conrad II of the German Empire (1024-1029); c. 12th-14th centuries. 

Rev. The original, prototypical Crusader-era gateway (esp. in reference to issues of the County of Tripoli and Cyprus); +.IA.NV.A. / Obv. Cross; CVNRADI.REX.)

57975008_COINSITALYGENOADENARO.JPG.17dea0ce6b6a8ba638cd52a4e629708f.JPG

And, Right, the threatened Bach.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 8

Recapitulating the theme of cover versions of earlier songs and continuing with my idiosyncratic musical theme, here's Shawn Colvin:

And here's a recycling of a previously used reverse type:

Mariniana Flying Peacock  Antoninianus.jpg

Mariniana, died AD 253.
Roman AR Antoninianus, 2.26 g, 22.2 mm 6 h.
Rome, AD 253-254.
Obv: DIVAE MARINIANAE, veiled and draped bust right, set on crescent.
Rev: CONSECRATIO, Mariniana, raising hand and holding scepter, reclining left on peacock flying upward to the right.
Refs: RIC 6; Göbl 220b; RSC 16; RCV 10070; CRE 558; Hunter 1.
  • Like 8
  • Popcorn 1

• Benefactor

I saw these guys play in 1995 at Assinaboine Downs in Winnipeg (Sheryl Crow was also playing at the same all-day outdoor concert)

... it was an amazing day (27 years ago now, eh? ... seems like yesterday)

Allectus.jpg

Ooops, I already used Allectus for The Gilligan's Island Theme song, so I'm gonna use one of Zumbly's new coins instead (Young Caracalla and his sweet ship!) ... ex-stevex6

Caracalla Galley.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 9
  • Clap 1

2907952_1653984421.l-removebg-preview.png.fc3393875f1a91c4be09ec2780e07fe6.png

BITHYNIA. Nicaea. Faustina II (Augusta, 147-175). Ae. (21.9mm. 6.3g) Obv: ΑΝΝΕΑ ΦΑVSΤΙΝΑ SΕΒ. Draped bust right. Rev: ΑΓΑΘ ΤVΧΗ ΝΙΚΑΙΕΩΝ. Tyche seated left on rocks, holding poppy and grain ears; to lower left, river god swimming left, head facing.

• Like 8
  • Smile 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

Yup, you guessed it => I'm having a happy-hour moment (a healthy glass o' red vino, chased be a cool beer on the deck)

... it's pretty hard to beat

1.jpg

Ummm, Jeff Beck was also pretty hard to beat (on guitar) ... 

GERMANY, Bremen (Erbistum) ... ‘wire money’

Johann Friedrich. AR 4 Schilling

1585-1634 AD

Diameter: 18.5 mm

Weight: 1.72 grams

Obverse: Horseman right; cross before, crossed keys to upper right

Reverse: Legend in five lines.

Reference: KM 5

Other: 4h … toned. In the style of the Russian ‘wire money’

Ex-stevex6

Germany Bremen Wire Money.jpg

... this is the only example I have of this coin-type (kinda cool)

Edited by Steve
  • Like 8