What to do? - Package stuck in the US postal system

Furryfrog02

I purchased a few cheap ancients from India back in October. I made 2 separate purchases about a week apart and both were shipped at approximately the same time. Both had tracking numbers and I could see when they made it to India customs and then that's where things went sideways. 

Package 2 showed as still sitting in Dehli when all the sudden it arrived in my mailbox about a week after shipment.  Yay!

Package 1 showed arriving in NYC and then making it's way to the local USPS distribution center about 10mi from my house. THEN.....next thing you know, it's up in Boston...then a few days later Boston sends it back to Maryland...Maryland sends it back to Boston....Boston sends back to Maryland. Yesterday it was scanned in at the same distribution center near my house. I thought "finally it will make it" I was wrong. They put it on a truck and it was scanned in in New Jersey as of 9:45pm last night...

When I put the Indian tracking number into the USPS page, it says it isn't valid. Obviously they have possession of it and are moving it through the system.  For whatever reason though, they can't seem to get it to the final destination. 

Does anyone have an idea who I would try to contact about this? Or should I just let the package spin in the system? I have until the 12th for it to be delivered before I can request a refund. I hate doing that since the seller did everything on their end...but I also don't want to be out ~$40... 

For fun, here is what the tracking looks like:

1. Dec 4, 2023
    9:45pm
    ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
    PHILLIPSBURG, NJ 08865
  2. Dec 4, 2023
    6:03pm
    DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
    LINTHICUM HEIGHTS MD DISTRIBUTI, 21090
  3. Dec 4, 2023
    5:19pm
  4. Dec 4, 2023
    1:34pm
    PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
  5. Dec 3, 2023
    4:39pm
  6. Nov 25, 2023
    9:56am
    BOSTON MA DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 02205
  7. Nov 24, 2023
    5:46pm
  8. Nov 23, 2023
    5:26pm
  9. Nov 22, 2023
    9:53pm
  10. Nov 22, 2023
    6:53pm
    SPRINGFIELD MA NETWORK DISTRIBU, 01152
  11. Nov 22, 2023
    2:29pm
  12. Nov 21, 2023
    4:50pm
  13. Nov 21, 2023
    5:22am
  14. Nov 20, 2023
    4:10am
  15. Nov 20, 2023
    3:16am
  16. Nov 20, 2023
    1:56am
    WASHINGTON DC NETWORK DISTRIBUT, 20799
  17. Nov 20, 2023
    1:31am
  18. Nov 20, 2023
    12:54am
  19. Nov 19, 2023
    8:57pm
  20. Nov 19, 2023
    8:53pm
  21. Nov 17, 2023
    10:59am
  22. Nov 15, 2023
    7:22pm
    BOSTON MA PACKAGE SORTING CENTE, 02323
  23. Nov 13, 2023
    8:08pm
  24. Nov 13, 2023
    6:11pm
  25. Nov 13, 2023
    5:17pm
  26. Nov 13, 2023
    4:10pm
  27. Nov 13, 2023
    9:08am
  28. Nov 13, 2023
    8:48am
  29. Nov 11, 2023
    3:15pm
  30. Nov 11, 2023
    3:35am
  31. Nov 9, 2023
    8:15pm
  32. Nov 9, 2023
    3:53pm
  33. Nov 9, 2023
    1:47am
  34. Nov 7, 2023
    10:41pm
  35. Nov 7, 2023
    9:34pm
  36. Nov 7, 2023
    2:47pm
  37. Nov 5, 2023
    12:29pm
    INBOUND OUT OF CUSTOMS
  38. Nov 5, 2023
    12:19am
    ARRIVED AT INTERNATIONAL SERVICE CENTER
    ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS), 11430
  39. Oct 28, 2023
    4:41pm
    ORIGIN POST IS PREPARING SHIPMENT

40. Oct 27, 2023
    4:18am
    Tracking number provided
  • Like 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Cry 1
  • Shock 3

I had a similar problem with a package this time last year. The issue was with the address, which, for whatever reason, was incomplete and the USPS system kept reading it incorrectly. The package bounced around from state to state and finally made it to my local USPS distribution centre and ended up at a nearby city as undeliverable! Suffice to say, I never received it and have no idea what happened to it. 

Give USPS a call and ask them if they can determine what city the package is addressed to. Perhaps the address barcode is damaged?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Furryfrog02 said:

Yeah I don't have much faith in the package ever showing up. I will give the USPS a call today and see what they say. 

Kinda bummed since the package includes a drachm of Bhartrdaman. I've been wanting one for a long time and finally found one that I could afford. 

Same, mine has a coin type I have wanted for over a decade and just waiting for the right one to come along.

• Like 1
  • Cry 1

The fact that it reached US soil means the seller did whatever they could to safely send it to the US, but it's up to your mail service to safely deliver it to you. Whenever I buy coins from Indian dealers on ebay, despite whatever the estimation date ebay provides or the tracking shows, it would at least take 1-2 months to reach me. So just hope the coins will arrive! 

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

You could try filing a missing mail complaint - I've had to do this on a handful of occasions. The USPS seems to be failing badly last few months - I haven't had one go into a loop (although this is not uncommon per /r/USPSCompaints), but have had a couple recently go on unnecessary cross-country jaunts (e.g. NY to NJ via California).

• Like 2

• Benefactor
5 hours ago, Furryfrog02 said:

Does anyone have an idea who I would try to contact about this?

I had a very similar experience with USPS in Maryland although not as extreme as your unfortunate situation. Mine was coming from Jerusalem, Israel — which generally takes a while to be okayed by the Israel Antiquities Authority. The delay in Israel was short compared to the delay in the USA. It was shuffled back and forth between Washington, DC and North Carolina for some unknown reason. I reported this to our local Postmaster and I had the package the next day. The coin took well over 3 months to get to me.

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 3

• Benefactor

I've seen this a couple of times, usually it involves an incomplete, torn, or missing label. It looks like barcode is still there otherwise you would not be getting tracking updates. One of the cases was when I requested a copy of my dissertation from the printer. Somehow it went to LA rather than San Francisco, then disappeared. 

Then I got it, finally in a taped closed mailer. The problem was I got some guy at UCLAs dissertation rather than mine. I found the guys' contact info at UCLA and emailed him. I sent him the book so he was quite happy. Meanwhile I filed a complaint with the printer, Dissertation Abstracts International and got an upgraded large format book (my dissertation) for free. Then a week later I received  a torn and destroyed (almost) mailer containing the one I first had ordered. Somehow the label was still on it. Anyway quite a mystery. Apparently what had happened was that both packages had been torn with the books falling out. Then they shipped the wrong one to me. 

• Like 2
  • Gasp 1

I’ve yet to have a package not arrive. But two of my most recent ones from overseas took almost 6 weeks to arrive. Makes me want to stick with dealers and auction houses with good reliable shipping. My Savoca auction coins normally arrive from Germany to USA within 3-4 days. 

• Like 2

• Benefactor

The package is progressing, which is positive. If it stops progressing, you can put in a request to USPS to find the package.

I've actually never had an international package fail to arrive. They do sometimes take 4-6 weeks though if not shipped DHL or FedEx. I usually have more problems with packages within the US...

• Like 3

This has happened to me more than once, and to other people's point, the problems unfailingly start only once the package has arrived in the US.  I had one that ended its known life in customs in New York.  Called; the USPS blamed Customs; Customs blamed the USPS.  Called my congressman; they were dismissive, assuming that "coin" meant "Morgan dollar" (rather than an insanely rare obole of Robert I Capet, bought unattributed), and that I must be from the opposite party.  --Never voted for him again; glad to say he's out now.

• Like 3

I had this happen in February with a package sent from Poland.  The sender wrote "Stany Zjednoczone" below my address, which is Polish for "United States".

The USPS algorithm decided "Stany Zjednoczone" was probably the name of a city in North Carolina.  USPS computers would send it to NC, the NC postmaster would send it back to NY.

If you go to your local USPS branch there will be managers there who have the ability to get more information than you can get online.  They aren't supposed to tell you exactly what they see -- but they can often see scans of the envelope and where the USPS computers think the envelope should go.

• Like 5

Well fun update (sort of). The package was scanned in (again) in Boston this morning. It has been to Boston 3 times in a month haha. I made that drive during the Thanksgiving week. I wouldn't want to do it there and back 3 times in a month. 

I'm sure Boston is getting tired of seeing it because they kicked it out the door immediately. I'm assuming it is on its way back this way. I will go to the local post office tomorrow and see if they can help. 

• Like 4

• Benefactor

I suspect that there is a problem with the address.  A few years ago a package was delayed, bouncing around in Missouri, because of a transposition of two numbers in the zip code.  I was able to finally talk to the postmaster of one of the post offices that was in this seemingly endless loop.  She was very nice and corrected the zip code when the package came her way once again.  End of the mini-saga.

I think in your case you might consider contacting your local postmaster and explain the problem. This person has access to more detailed tracking information and perhaps they can help direct the package to you.

Good luck!

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 5

Well an update - and a happy one at that!

After a few more trips to several states that are not where I live....The package arrived today!
It  worked its way back up to Massachusetts as well as New Jersey before going further south to Virginia. This morning the update said it was back at the troublesome USPS distribution center, and then said it was out for delivery....In Boston... I was 50/50 whether or not I would actually get them and if I were to get the package, would the coins actually still be there. 
I'm happy to report that they did! 
I inspected the package and there was nothing wrong with the address or anything. I have no idea what the local USPS center was smoking but it must have been good. 

And because I'm sure you all wanted to see what the fuss was about.........here are the coins:
20231212_172817.jpg.79ae00a2d9e3f0ff16789dec20dabc08.jpg20231212_172918.jpg.6ed568f8938525c7735dc30ca0128e7a.jpg

• Like 10
  • Yes 2
  • Clap 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

I once won a coin from Hungarian Auction. The coin a Transylvania 1646 A-I Dukat in FDC never arrived after 8 weeks. I paid 7K euros for it and got worried. The auction house e-mailed me to tell me they sent coin to a US address/ and the recepient (lucky for me) sent it back to Hungary. I ended up getting 2 weeks later.

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

• Like 3
  • Gasp 3

• Benefactor
5 hours ago, panzerman said:

I once won a coin from Hungarian Auction. The coin a Transylvania 1646 A-I Dukat in FDC never arrived after 8 weeks. I paid 7K euros for it and got worried. The auction house e-mailed me to tell me they sent coin to a US address/ and the recepient (lucky for me) sent it back to Hungary. I ended up getting 2 weeks later.

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

Wow, that is lucky! An honest person. Unfortunately, there are people who would have kept something like this that showed up in the mail, or tried to sell it.

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 12/11/2023 at 3:57 PM, MrMonkeySwag96 said:

I bought this Republican denarius from a dealer in the Netherlands. US customs had my coin in their possession for almost 2 months. I had to give them a call swearing I wasn’t smuggling ancient artifacts lol.

spacer.png

Where one can find usps customs phone number per county?

• Like 1