Auction madness and competition.

Dafydd

It is a bit of fun for people with money to burn with little regard for the outcome, just bragging rights. Not anything for me, but good luck to those who take part.

For what it is worth I think it will be an AR Tetradrachm featuring Dyonisos/Herakles in great condition.

Edited by expat
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 1:04 PM, Dafydd said:

I am not that cynical but it did occur to me that once the initial auction is finished, this would be a great way to unload high value but unattractive coins in the future. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and priced catalogues can never determine an individuals preference for colour or tone.

That would make sense!

Personally, I believe that it will be a denarius of Marcus Aurelius with a rare bust type variant 🤔

• Like 1

When I was very young I (slightly) had the habit of gambling. Not anymore. I am not attracted to sports betting, lottery, anything. 

So I definitely wouldn't gamble in a situation like this. 

Looking at the lots this doesn't seem a low end auction so I strongly suspect it would be a good coin. Also the reputation of the house will suffer if the surprise is a 5 EUR Fel Temp Reparatio in slug condition. 

My guess - Augustus denarius, not the Caius and Lucius reverse. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 4

However, one thing can be said for sure - it won't be a coin that is completely worthless.

The action gets so much attention and so many viewers - it would be very bad publicity if the highest bidder ended up spending a lot of money and then gets a ridiculous coin. That would put the winner in a ridiculous light. And no auction house wants that kind of "publicity".

I therefore think - there will certainly be a respectable coin behind it. I'm even betting on a gold coin. And I will be right...

• Like 5
  • Yes 1

30 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

In... your... face!  😄 So - now I am the highest bidder...

No reason to doubt honest bidding now! Keep fingers crossed and look forward to seeing the win on the NF if the N&N keeps it a surprise to the buyer alone.

If I am correct to assume the coin is to be delivered to Germany, there should be no legal challenges for it to be shipped within the EU. This may put off some US buyers, who may be more reluctant to make a binding bid without knowing the content.

With wishes of best provenance!

Edited by Rand
  • Like 1

To me, this is the line where auctions cross over into the gambling world. It's nothing that interests me. True, it's fun, interesting, and will likely give the auction more publicity and perhaps even raise the total number of bidders (which could hedge any losses against underbidding for the "Surprise Lot" if it does turn out to have decent value). But it just gives me a feeling of unnecessary gimmickry that permeates a game show and lottery-type feeling. I understand why others might feel the inexorable pull of such a device, so I also get it. But, in the end, it's likely having the desired effect: we're all posting about it here and I would have heard nothing about the auction had this thread not existed. So, gimmicks work. I guess one can't blame businesses for doing whatever they can to attract buyers. But, to me, it feels a little cheap. But that's just me.

As to the lot's contents? I'll guess a Proof Type I 1979-S SBA Dollar. Just joking. I'll really guess a Nero sesteritus of above average condition.

• Like 1

Some theories: A reverse of FORTVNA or some such other thing relevant to luck or chance.

Didius Julianus who engaged in an auction for the Empire (he didn't truly know what he was getting into)

Many Emperors loved gambling, among them Caligula, Nero, Claudius and Commodus. Perhaps it will be of one of these guys.

A coin of Augustus ("may he be luckier than Augustus")

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

PS: the funny thing is - many who condemn this auction will end up 100% curious about it - what the result is.

😄 

Personally I wouldn't, condemn it, I simply wouldn't participate, but good luck to those that do. Whoever the marketing guru or entrepreneur who came up with the idea was, it certainly worked.

We are fortunate that we can make choices compared to some societies who are heavily censored and don't have the Internet access we have. This auction certainly piqued my interest and I await the outcome with some fascination and wonder where it will lead to.  

The numismatic world never ceases to surprise me, this week we have seen an auction house selling modern forging equipment which should be an anathema to collectors and now mystery lots at auctions. There is always something new to consider and an ever changing landscape.

• Benefactor

Personally I would not participate in a blind auction.  There are just so many auctions out there, why sink funds into a lot that is a black box, unless one has the money to do so? 

I might be a bit old fashion, but I like to review lots, do research, and bid or not bid accordingly.

My guess:  a nicely prepared reuben sandwich.  Now I'm hungry!

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 2

My guess is that it's some kind of large silver coin (probably a tetradrachm) of a slightly scarcer ruler. My final guess is a tetradrachm of Philip V.

4 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

In... your... face!  😄 So - now I am the highest bidder...

Bildschirmfoto2023-07-23um17_38_37.png.9697e2b12eef5cac1ee0e305f571b9eb.png

Good luck in winning the coin and, if you do win, good luck on getting a good coin!

• Thanks 1

I don't think there's much chance of this being a regular occurence. The only people seriously interested would be those who buy coins to make a profit - they can speculate and hope to make a quick win. Other collectors need specific coins and aren't going to want a random coin they have to offload, with all the costs of doing so. (I can see that N&N will end up putting the winning coin in the next auction...)

The problem with appealing to 'investors' is that in the long run they need a return. Since the coin has a certain value, someone has to win and someone has to lose. To generate interest, the auction house would have to lose more often than they win. Once the initial curiosity has passed, there wouldn't be enough publicity to make that loss worth it. This will go the way of the NFT.

I could, though, see another sort of betting system work - a raffle/lottery. Everyone puts in 5 dollars and the winner is chosen at random. You could put in more dollars for more chances to win. Lots of people would participate if it just means adding a few dollars on top of their existing invoice.

• Like 4
  • Cool Think 1

I have to admit the approach mildly upsets me. It feels like selling a ‘random pet’, which could be of any species, big or small. Enjoy the fun.

Being old-fashioned, I respect ancient coins as historical artefacts and would not buy those I do not want and am prepared to look after. But this may work well for collectors with broad interest or dealers for whom this could be a useful resell opportunity with a newly created flashy provenance. It is not for me to judge how people enjoy their hobbies and spend their money.

Edited by Rand
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor

Back in the old days we would have to advertise in publications (magazines, show programs, etc) to get new customers.  Now with the internet advertising is a completely different beast.  And...this has certainly worked as many people are talking about it and I am sure they picked up many bids with this method.  It's not my thing and I wouldnt do it in my sales, but I dont begrudge them trying something new.

• Like 4

• Benefactor

This is a very interesting post, @Dafydd, and a great topic.

image.jpeg.5424992857cd4d698f90dae4c8c2e5a3.jpeg

There was a time, in the beginning of my ancients collecting history, when I would have participated in an auction for a mystery coin, in fact I acquired my very first Roman Imperial denarius in a similar fashion. I purchased it sight unseen and clueless of the identity of the emperor on the coin. The coin and precious metal dealer’s ad offered a certified authentic Roman Imperial Denarius for only $$$.¢¢ — Anyway, the ad stated that they would select the coin at random from their inventory and, at the time, I thought it was a good deal.

From what I now know, the coin was extremely over-priced.

My first Roman Imperial denarius

image.jpeg.89ebc3cb2d84893159ded9cfb9a5b077.jpeg

• Like 11

Well, I'd never bid that much on a "mystery coin", but it does remind me of the very old days when we were buying from fixed price lists and bidding in auctions with no photos. You had to buy a few coins from several different firms to determine whose written descriptions you could trust for coins that appealed to you. It was sorta like golf. You were disappointed again and again but just as you entered the realm of total despair, you'd pick up a really nice coin for a very cheap price and convince yourself that you knew what you were doing.

• Like 7

I'm really intrigued by this. I don't gamble as my mathematically-oriented mind just doesn't like it. But this isn't really traditional gambling because there's no real element of statistics or chance. To me it seems almost like a battle of intellect, bidder vs. auction house. Kind of like Vizzini vs. Westley in The Princess Bride, for those of you as old as I am. 

Maybe I am thinking about it too hard, but I read and re-read this line several times: "Subsequently, the highest bidder shall be granted the privilege of acquiring this coin, which could potentially be of low or high value, thereby contributing to the overall anticipation and element of surprise." Could this possibly mean that the highest bidder will see the coin, and then have the choice of whether or not to buy the coin at the bid price?  

• Cool Think 1