Auction madness and competition.

Dafydd

19 minutes ago, Cordoba said:

N&N was actually smart and gave something pretty good. 380 gbp hammer

4308253_1690654320.jpg

Really nice! But what I actually need is a denarius of Marcus Aurelius in fine style and with a rare bust type in XF+ condition... 
So I'm still glad that I didn't participate because I wouldn't know what to do with these coins.

• Like 4

Wow. That did turn out to be a good buy! A little bit like the winning lottery ticket turns out to be a good buy. 😜

I wonder if they're going to do this again. If so you'd think that they'll have to keep upping the ante if more and more people think it's a chance to win something valuable for cheap. That or else eventually let someone be disappointed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Perhaps they'll do it again, although this time bidding would go through the roof.   I don't think such a thing would really work more than two times.

It'd be hard to know how to bid. The longer they go without a complete dog, the more risk you're taking. Conversely, the upper limit is not likely to be much higher than this, as there's less benefit to N&N now the first one is done.

On 7/30/2023 at 8:23 PM, Dafydd said:

This lot represents a pleasant surprise directed towards our esteemed customers....

Well that was certainly a "nice surprise" for someone, I hadn't considered a Hyperpyron and the Pamphylia Tetradrachm was better than I had anticipated. I guess as @ComicMan was the first to guess a Tetradrachm, he wins.

🥳 Now you guys gotta guess which Roman coin that I will get 😇