How do you store your coins

ComicMan

I collect ancient coins, medieval coins, and modern coins. I use Abafil velvet coin trays, inside Abafil coin cases. They sell deep trays, and regular depth trays. Currently, most of my coins are in 1 compartment trays. But, I also have a large number of 24 compartment trays. Here's where I buy them : https://www.coin.com/cases/ 

I also have a Lincoln cent collection, which I keep in Whitman blue coin albums, with hard plastic sleeves.

Edited by sand
  • Like 2

• Benefactor

I can use Abafil cases.  The may seem expensive at first, but they are very well built and hand-made.  Mine are about 30 years old and for the most part still look new.  Using trays also solves the issue of using those annoying brittle safety flips.  My only problem is that at some point I might want to have a cabinet built that will hold Abafil.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Hughie Dwyer said:

However, after hearing that PVC can damage ancient coins (is this true?)

Hello @Hughie Dwyer Yes. PVC can damage ancient coins, medieval coins, and modern coins. PVC can damage bronze coins, and silver coins. PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride) reacts with the coin metal, eating into the metal. It creates a powdery light green substance, on bronze coins. It creates a green slime, or clear slime, or white slime, on silver coins. How long it takes, for PVC to damage coins, depends on various factors, such as the temperature. A few days, or even a few weeks, may be okay, if the temperature is not too hot. Some dealers ship their coins in PVC flips. I always remove any coin, from a PVC flip, immediately. I don't even trust non-PVC plastic flips (SAFLIPS), even though many ancient coin collectors use them.

Edited by sand
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

2 hours ago, KenDorney said:

I can use Abafil cases.  The may seem expensive at first, but they are very well built and hand-made.  Mine are about 30 years old and for the most part still look new.  Using trays also solves the issue of using those annoying brittle safety flips.  My only problem is that at some point I might want to have a cabinet built that will hold Abafil.

Such a beast does exist 😄

Behold the mighty Marmotta - stores 20 trays (not the extra deep ones).

spacer.png

Abafil sell it for €1280 with 20 trays or €390 without trays...

https://www.abafil.com/en/161-marmotta

Mind you, I now prefer the Zecchi trays:

spacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

I store my nicer coins in a zecchi tray, since it's made of velvet. I really like the look and feel of the case, can't recommend it enough. i was debating between abafil and zecchi, and zecchi was a bit cheaper for my purposes.   https://www.albertozecchi.com/listing/779357848/medium-model-case-book-by-zecchi-made-of
image.png.6dc506673309c16fa8198a7cc98be451.png

other coins i use a lindner tray. it's felt so not as nice but stores more coins.

Edited by Cordoba
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, Cordoba said:

I store my nicer coins in a zecchi tray, since it's made of velvet. I really like the look and feel of the case, can't recommend it enough. i was debating between abafil and zecchi, and zecchi was a bit cheaper for my purposes.   https://www.albertozecchi.com/listing/779357848/medium-model-case-book-by-zecchi-made-of
image.png.6dc506673309c16fa8198a7cc98be451.png

other coins i use a lindner tray. it's felt so not as nice but stores more coins.

Ooh, this might actually be a nice one for me, and you can stack them too!

I use flips mostly 2 by 2's with the info in one half and the coin in the other, They then are stored in Whitman blue plastic boxes. This system does not take up a lot of room and it makes it easy for me to take them to my safety deposit boxes at the bank.  My system is pretty standard however this cat seems to have an interesting system 😁NWPKuov7E6c3QZSMV9OmwFk8zjZ_DOaRsW7lIKPBD7w.jpg.85b638221abe03a15a6d6afc366955ad.jpg

• Like 3
  • Smile 2
  • Laugh 4

Taking advice from many people here, I recently switched from storing most of my coins in capsules to SAFLIP 2x2s, then organizing the flips in an Intercept box (which is supposed to help with exposure to the elements, but I'm not completely sure to what extend that it does). So far, this has worked fine. It definitely beats having a piles of capsules that were difficult to sort through or organize. Capsules ended up being overkill for most of my coins, honestly, so this will likely end up working out great.
IMG_3897.JPG.e83f4018a1dcf77f9ee82a4ab7d53498.JPG

• Like 5

I like to use Abafil trays for my nicer ancients because I really love the quality, and stackable Lightghouse trays for the rest. I'm considering getting some simple paper envelopes for the really cheap ones as I get more coins, but for now this combination of trays works well (I currently have a relatively small ancient coin collection) 🙂 

Edited by AncientNumis
  • Like 4

I use the stackable coin boxes from Lighthouse https://www.lighthouse.us/coin-boxes-with-square-compartments.html which are a good deal less expensive than Abafil (especially if you are in the US), and come in a variety of layouts. My preferred layout for ancients has 38 mm X 38 mm compartments which fit most ancients, including many of the larger bronzes (no Ptolemaic hockey pucks though!). I print tags out on acid-free archival card-stock which I keep under the coins.

• Like 3

Presently, my coins are in SAFLIPS and boxes, much like @ewomack.  Easy to transport, easy to secure.   I have long desired to get a well crafted mahogany velvet-lined cabinet for my collection.  I am sure it would add to my enjoyment.  The thought that I would be providing a convenient carrying case for someone of larcenous intent has always stopped me.  Mahogany cabinets would seem to demand a good sized safe, which would need to be concealed, should I want to leave my coins at home.  I calculate the costs, and then think I could buy a few nice solidi with that sum.  The new coins always win.  

• Like 1
  • Smile 1