I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

Brilliant. @robinjojo, both for the surreally late issue of Athens (with, thank you, the owl), and music I've never heard any of before.  Summarily wishing I had.

Except, Oh, No, now I need some of the Ravi Shankar I grew up with, on lp.  This is from a cassette, but the first track just happens to be my all-time favorite.

...Can a Sasanian drachm be close enough?  This is Xusro I, early 6th c. CE; replacing the first example I ever found, in a local coin shop when I was a kid.  (Two pics of the same one.)

SASANIANkHOSRAUXUSROKHUSROISTEVESENHANCEMENT.png.97b84fdcf0eda1547d7421c26abda845.png

SASANIANKHOSRAUXUSROIDRAHMDRAMPARSNOVEMBER2022.jpg.952f8d0d4053f59510842f464c95d508.jpg

And Shankar, doing his inimitable Ravi Shankar stuff.

• Like 7

An aulos or tibia was a wind instrument in ancient Greece, often depicted in art and also attested by archaeology.

Untitled.jpg.ffa4043ebdbb97fb21e196fad9bd0d6f.jpg

PHRYGIA. Apameia. Ae (Circa 88-40 BC). Magistrate Attalos, son of Bianor, eglogistes.
Obv: Turreted head of Artemis-Tyche right, with bow and quiver over shoulder.
Rev: AΠAMEΩN / ATTAΛOY BIANOPOΣ.
Marsyas advancing right, playing aulos; menander pattern below.
BMC 62; HGC 7, 674. 5,49 g - 18,77 mm
In Greek mythology, the satyr Marsyas is a central figure in two stories involving music: in one, he picked up the double oboe that had been abandoned by Athena and played it; in the other, he challenged Apollo to a contest of music and lost his hide and life.

4896042_1701101639.jpg.1bfe1a08832fb3cebe4d47391de4071c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Clap 2

A humble coin,  ancient and medieval.

Late Byzantine billon aspron trachy. Manuel I Comnenus. 1143-1180

MANUHΛ ΔECPOTHC (Manuel i standing facing) /   MP-ΘV  (Virgin Mary enthroned).

The byzantine hymn of Virgin Mary (To you mother of God, the mighty general, with gratitude your City, redeemed from suffering,  ascribes the victory).

man.jpg

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

GET A GRIP, SON

I got a grip, pa lol

Agrippa. Struck under his Grandson Caligula, 37-41 AD.
M . AGRIPPA . L . F . COS . III, head left wearing rostral crown / S-C in field flanking Neptune standing facing, head left, naked except for cloak draped behind him & over both arms, holding small dolphin in right hand & vertical trident in left.
AE As 12.62gr, 28mm. RIC 58,Cohen 3.
Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa was a Roman general, statesman and architect who was a close friend, son-in-law and lieutenant to the first Roman emperor Augustus. Agrippa is well known for his important military victories, notably the Battle of Actium in 31 BC against the forces of Mark Antony and Cleopatra. He was born in 63 BC and died in 12 BC in his villa. He was just 51. Augustus gave the eulogy at his friend's funeral and spent a month in mourning. Even though Agrippa had his own mausoleum built, as a last honor to his closest friend and companion, Augustus buried the ashes of Agrippa in his own mausoleum.

Fe9QK8ZkKm3mwtC57xMR6Mn6Ab2Trb.jpg.e19402778210c922ba7dc7d2e487cfce.jpg

Edited by expat
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Beneath a Phrygian Sky...

Apameia, Phrygia

3rd Century AD
Pseudo-autonomous
AE15 (15mm, 2.27g)
O: Draped and turreted bust of Tyche right; AΠA-MEIA.
R: Hekate Triformis standing facing, wearing polos and double chiton, and holding 4 torches and 2 patera; CΩTEI-PA.
SNG von Aulock 3475; SNG Cop 195-96; BMC 110-13
ex Gert Boersema

~ Peter 

5079_18635~2.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor

Beethoven's Emperor Concerto for piano and orchestra, number 5, is one of the great works of the Romantic period, but my favorite, going back to when I was growing up in Detroit, has been the third piano concerto, a transformative work in its own way.

What coin compliments this work?  That's hard to say, but here's a possible candidate, one more or less from the period of this composition.  This coin embodies the spirit of the growing movement whose underpinning was the Enlightenment movement of the 18th century, which fueled revolutionary events from the Americas to Europe, bringing about the artistic transformation of music and art from classical to romantic.

Cisalphine Republic, scudo. 1800, year 8.

Davenport 199

23.12 grams

D-CameraCisalphineRepublic1800year8scudo23.12gDav199exWW6-12-22.jpg.70dd79a8b9e1faa7cec7c44faecef7e7.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1

Many thanks for the horizon expansion, @robinjojo (and Cool coin!).

For the first time, I'm starting to hear Beethoven already building up to Romanticism as early as this.  Impressionistically (euphemism for 'ignorantly'), it sounds as if he's still working in a Classical structural idiom, but you can hear the pot simmering, and getting closer to a boil.

• Like 1

R.I.P. Peter Schickele, a.k.a. P.D.Q. Bach, who passed away at his home in New York at the age of 88.

HadrianCOSIIIlyresemis.jpg.4b08e3de38b7923fc7625379fd419d63.jpg
Hadrian, AD 117-138.
Roman orichalcum semis, 4.12 g, 18.3 mm, 6 h.
Rome, AD 124-25, possibly for use in Syria.
Obv: HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS: Bust of Hadrian, laureate, draped and cuirassed, right.
Rev: COS III S C, lyre.
Refs: RIC 688; RIC 2.3, 758; BMC 1359-61; Cohen 443; Strack 625; RCV 3701; McAlee 547a.

• Like 5
  • Yes 1

A propos the title of the album that the music (eventually) comes from, it's like, lately I can't make myself shut up.  Slapping both hands just doesn't seem to work. 

"...Let Mr. Sweeney continue his story [T. S. Eliot; promise you, with the trochaic scansion, it's a terrific line]."

COINSFRANCELOUISIXGROSOBV..jpg.2b64b662e1fb06b6f2c16729cd2fd6ea.jpgCOINSFRANCELOUISIXGROSREV..jpg.a8c6359e486445f82193bb46412f12b4.jpg

Louis IX,  AR gros tournois of Tours, c. 1266-1270.  An issue likely celebrating the completion of the Saint-chapelle, on the smaller island in the Seine, immediately upriver of the Ile-de-France.  (<-The original nucleus of Paris, going back to the Romans, never mind the Carolingians.  Thank you, where all that good stuff is, like the Louvre and Notre Dame.)  The denomination, initiated by Louis at the end of his reign, is not only on the largest module ever seen in AR, for Carolingians or Capetians (summarily inspiring Edward I's introduction of the groat --which didn't really catch on until Edward III); on this broad of a canvas, it manages to evoke High Gothic rose windows.  
Obv.  Cross.  (Legends in 2 concentric circles.)
[Inner legend:]  +LVDOVICVS.REX  (‘King Louis’).
[Outer legend:]  +BN'DICTV': SIT: NOME': DN'I: nR'I: DEI: I.hV:XP'I
(‘B[E]N[E]DICTV[M] SIT NOM[INE]E D[OMI]NI N[OST]RI DEI Ih[ES]V XP[IST]I ([/ CHRISTI]);’ Blessed be the name of our Lord God, Jesus Christ.)
(Please note the resort to the Latinized Greek ‘XP[IST]I’ for ‘CHR[IST]I’ at the end of the legend.  Providing an easy comparison to the Kyrie in the, thank you, otherwise Latin Mass.)

Rev.  ‘Chatel Tournois;’ outer border composed of fleurs-de-lis.
+TVRONV.S. CIVIS  (‘TVRONVS CIVI[TAS];’ City of Tours).
Duplessy, Royales 190; after which, all I have in print is Roberts 2451.

With less than sincere apologies for all of that, the abbreviations in the obverse legend are fun for the way they replicate the same practice in other media, only most emphatically in manuscript.  With all of those three-period marks at the terminus of abbreviated words, along with the underlinings above the letters, denoting contractions within a given word.

While not exactly the same thing, this had to remind me of the modern English use of the period, aka 'full stop.'

On that flimsy pretext, here's what's called for.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 6

Shapur I saying to Valerian after the Roman was captured

Valerian I, Billon antoninianus, 253 AD. Antioch or Samosata mint IMP C P LIC VALERIANVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / VOTA ORBIS, two Victories holding shield inscribed S C, palm tree behind. RIC V-I 294; Goebl 1682e Samosata; Sear 9966.
Weight: 3,4gr, 24.7mm.

4991357_1703964791.l.jpg.b87fc1c39bb8b0d0054e48784260f90a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Normandy, denier, often attributed to William 'the Bastard.'

NORMANDYWILLIAMIDENIERBIDDRJUNE23DUPLESSY29.jpg.5602c236768e2564eab6b75174296414.jpg

But more cautiously attributed by Duplessy to 'Richard II (996-1026) et successeurs.'  #29.  Witness the very late, barely legible 'ROTOMAGVS' (Rouen) mint signature.

...Right, so, thank you, Hastings.  This has been an unusually benign earworm for most of the afternoon.

• Like 3

And, the winner of the best boots award, goes to............

Valerian II Billon Antoninianus. P LIC COR VALERIANVS CAES, radiate, draped bust right / VICTORIA PART, Victory standing right, presenting wreath to Valerian II, holding globe and spear. RSC 97; RIC 54 Antioch; Goebl 1604d; Sear 10742.
Weight: 3,3gr

4991354_1703964789.l.jpg.4df4cf9c964ed44fbef1317a154e4be4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

Thanks, @expat.  Never once saw the video.  Those are some, well, for one, boots.  Now is when it's time to shut up. 

...Right. the Valerian II is about its own stuff.  Nearest I ever contemplated getting was a Gallienus, as co-emperor of Valerian I.  If that's been posted enough times that I'm tired of it, it has to be time to shut up about that, too.

• Like 1

...Okay, the fishnet stockings in the video had, just had to evoke Joni Mitchell.

First, my favorite example of Richard I (1189-1199), as count of Poitiers /Poitou.

image.jpeg.a8e3180c7dd1fb9f0d120d065bcad4d4.jpeg

image.jpeg.503991379dde2937643d004adc12b5dc.jpeg

Obv.  +RICARDVS REX (with a cool, already proto-Gothic "X"). 

Rev.  Annulet; in three lines, PIC / TAVIE / NSIS (the 'S's funly couchant).  Duplessy 922, variant (pellet rather than annulet; slight variation in the reverse legend.)

And some, thank you, very vintage Joni Mitchell.

• Like 5

LOL, I thought this would be appropriate for Fulvia...

😄

RImpMarcAntony43BCEARQuinarius13mm1.67gLugdunumWingedbustVictory-problyFulviaLionDVNILVGVCr489-5Syd1160.JPG.2d8094cf80b0d35fa947c9e89a9e0104.JPG

RImp

Marc Antony 43 BCE

AR Quinarius

13mm 1.67g

Lugdunum

Winged bust Victory-probly Fulvia

Lion DVNI LVGV

Cr 489-5 Syd 1160

Edited by Alegandron
  • Like 3
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 2

Folkie Melanie of Woodstock fame has died. R.I.P., Melanie.

Here's a posthumous issue for an empress in memorial.

[IMG]
Sabina, AD 117-137.
Roman AR denarius, 3.07 g, 18.4 mm, 5 h.
Rome, AD 137-38.
Obv: DIVA AVG SABINA, Corn-wreathed, veiled and draped bust of Sabina, right, with hair in bun at nape of neck.
Rev: PIETATI AVG, ustrinum with doors in front and antefixae on corners above.
Refs: RIC II.3 (second edition) 2607; RIC 422a; BMCRE 961; Cohen/RSC 56; Strack 387; Hill UCR 764; RCV 3896; CRE 30.

• Like 5

I'm glad to have discovered the Paper Kites.

Here's a night-themed coin.

FaustinaSrSCcrescentandstarsasveiledbust.jpg.c4a4484a92df002dd39d7351e8cb5258.jpg
Faustina I, AD 138-140.
Roman Æ as or dupondius, 13.77 g, 28.1 mm, 11 h.
Rome, AD 140.
Obv: DIVA AVGVSTA-FAVSTINA, veiled bust, right.
Rev: S C, crescent and seven stars.
Refs: RIC 1199b; BMC 1478; Cohen 276; Strack 1249; RCV --.
Notes: Ex Walter Neussel, Peus E-Auction 420, lot 5290, 18 Nov 2017, acquired October 1959, Maison Platt, Paris.

• Like 6

The only time I saw the Fatima Mansions play, this was their second encore - a much longer version (at least one verse is missing here and live it was 10+ minutes long) than this which sent us all home satisfied - more than 30 years ago at this stage.   Plenty of righteous anger and snipes at scandals which have still to be fully exposed, decades on...

Here's an old coin for no particular reason - I don't think I've posted it before.   An issue of three moneyers of 118 or 117 BC - a Q. Marcius, C. Fabius, L. Roscius (probably, anyway).   There are two versions of Cr. 283/1, differing in the order of the initials of the moneyers in the exergue; this variety, Cr. 283/1b, is scarcer with about 13 obverse and 16 reverse dies according to Crawford.

Gens: Marcia
Moneyer: Q. Marcius et al
Coin: Silver Denarius
- Helmeted head of Roma right; curl on left shoulder
ROMA - Victory in quadriga, right, holding reins in left hand and wreath in right hand
Exergue: C·F·L·R·Q·M
Mint: Rome (118 - 117 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.53g / 20mm / -
References:
  • RSC 13a (Fabia)
  • Sydenham 541a
  • Crawford 283/1b
Acquisition: Concordia Numismatic Online auction Auction 10 #340 25-Nov-2023

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

(Polisyllabic expletive of choice,) before hearing any of this, I was already saying, 'there's Irish music, and there's most of other white music.' 

--Am I being racist?  Well, Slap Both my Freaking Hands.  But I really need the way in which, for instance on this track, the band (never Once heard of 'em before) have internalized Punk to the point where it's just part of the ongoing subtext.  Really needing this (monosyllabic expletive).

• Smile 1

22 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

(Polisyllabic expletive of choice,) before hearing any of this, I was already saying, 'there's Irish music, and there's most of other white music.' 

--Am I being racist?  Well, Slap Both my Freaking Hands.  But I really need the way in which, for instance on this track, the band (never Once heard of 'em before) have internalized Punk to the point where it's just part of the ongoing subtext.  Really needing this (monosyllabic expletive).

I'm a huge fan of the FMs - I'd bought Valhalla Avenue before seeing them and afterwards devoured everything by them and Cathal Coughlan's previous group - Microdisney - and his later solo efforts and finally Telefís.   Microdisney reformed after 30 years in 2018 and played a gig in Dublin to accept a "Trailblazer" award at the National Concert Hall and returned in 2019 for gigs in Dublin and Cork.   I got to both the Dublin gigs.

Microdisney had groovy guitar sounds from Sean O'Hagan and vitriolic lyrics from Cathal Coughlan.   In the apartheid era they released an album "We Hate You South African Bastards" - their record company helpfully added "White" after "You" and finally changed the name to "Love Your Enemies" 😄

"Viva Dead Ponies" and "Valhalla Avenue" and maybe "Come Back My Children" (a rehash of "Against Nature" + other tracks) for the older stuff are the essential FMs albums.   "Lost In The Former West" and "Bertie's Brochures" are worth a listen too.

Retrospective of Valhalla Avenue

https://louderthanwar.com/the-fatima-mansions-valhalla-avenue-1992-2022-30-years-on/

I'd hoped the Mansions would reform even for a couple of gigs like Microdisney, but it's not to be, as Cathal died in 2022.

https://rockandrollglobe.com/punk/remembering-irish-punk-legend-cathal-coughlan/

Here's something older, a pared-down Microdisney from just before their Dublin and Barbican gigs in June 2018:

I'd better include a coin - a Valerian II CONSECRATIO issue.

Ruler: Valerian II (Caesar)
Coin: Silver Antoninianus
DIVO VALERIANO CAES - Radiate and draped bust right
CONSECRATIO - Valerian. holding sceptre, astride eagle flying right
Mint: Lyon (ca 258 - 259 AD)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.63g / 20mm / 0h
References:
  • RIC 9 (Valerian)
  • RSC 5
  • Gobl 911E
Acquisition: Naville Numismatics Online Auction NN Live Auction 1 #169 15-Jun-2013

spacer.png

Keep music evil 🙂
Aidan.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

Nope, instead of some Neil Young (I always gravitate to his more angst-ridden stuff, anyway --running more to Zuma ('74) and Live Rust), it was time time to run with another vocalist, doing another brilliant interpretation of something she probably didn't write.

image.jpeg.db810d7ea9791649fd29953742b6b9ac.jpeg

image.jpeg.82a42bdd4a46df3cf4deb8b1e58eb88e.jpeg

Raymond V, comte de Toulouse 1149-1194, as Marquis de Provence (to the north, and inland of the more extensive and prominent county of the same name.  Both within the borders of the German Empire).

Obv.  Crescent; star below; pellets in two angles.  +R. COMES.

Rev.  Cross of Toulouse (https://www.midi-france.info/19_toulouse.htm). D (/) V (/) X (/) M[archie].  

This is a relatively early reading, with Count Basie's orchestra.  My mom had this as a rerelease, but on lp; it never won't be the best one I ever heard.  ...The kind of song that accumulates more connotations the longer you live with it.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 5