I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

Time for some jazz. Roy Hargrove died far too young. 

Faustina the Younger was in her 40s when she died, too. 

FaustinaJrCERESSClongverticaltorchsestertiusstephanedbust.jpg.fbdd135b3ab505ae3da35d2f7d4c18d4.jpg
Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 23.09 g, 32.1 mm, 6 h.
Rome, 170-171 CE.
FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust, right, wearing stephane (Beckmann Type 10 hairstyle).
Rev: 
CERES S C, Ceres seated left on cista, holding corn-ears in right hand and long, vertical torch in left hand.
Refs: Unlisted; cf. RIC 1621; cf. BMC 894; cf. Cohen 36.

• Like 4
  • Yes 1

On 1/18/2024 at 4:52 AM, Roman Collector said:

R.I.P. Peter Schickele, a.k.a. P.D.Q. Bach, who passed away at his home in New York at the age of 88.

HadrianCOSIIIlyresemis.jpg.4b08e3de38b7923fc7625379fd419d63.jpg
Hadrian, AD 117-138.
Roman orichalcum semis, 4.12 g, 18.3 mm, 6 h.
Rome, AD 124-25, possibly for use in Syria.
Obv: HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS: Bust of Hadrian, laureate, draped and cuirassed, right.
Rev: COS III S C, lyre.
Refs: RIC 688; RIC 2.3, 758; BMC 1359-61; Cohen 443; Strack 625; RCV 3701; McAlee 547a.

...Oh, No, @Roman Collector, "Fresh Air" just reaired this:

https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/2024/01/26/1226877301/fresh-air-for-jan-26-2024-remembering-p-d-q-bachs-peter-schickele-the-shangri-la?showDate=2024-01-26

When you posted 'Hansel and Gretel and Ted and Alice,' I was wanting to return the favor.  Here's one.  Likely it was already old enough that it took finding in the library, or maybe used. ...Only dates me in the wrong way.

Wait! a coin!  The most Greek I have pictures of are two complementary hemidrachms of Kolchis.  Sometimes dated as late as the 4th c. BCE, but even from out there in the western Caucasus region, I have to think that the pronounced archaism of the style puts them earlier than than that, by a century if not two.

image.jpeg.f3d1cf53c78407d3c77d604755c6aae4.jpeg

image.jpeg.9db2e9ef7a20eee85b3e3ec7838846d4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

On 1/30/2024 at 4:50 PM, Roman Collector said:

Time for some jazz. Roy Hargrove died far too young. 

Faustina the Younger was in her 40s when she died, too. 

FaustinaJrCERESSClongverticaltorchsestertiusstephanedbust.jpg.fbdd135b3ab505ae3da35d2f7d4c18d4.jpg
Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 23.09 g, 32.1 mm, 6 h.
Rome, 170-171 CE.
FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust, right, wearing stephane (Beckmann Type 10 hairstyle).
Rev: 
CERES S C, Ceres seated left on cista, holding corn-ears in right hand and long, vertical torch in left hand.
Refs: Unlisted; cf. RIC 1621; cf. BMC 894; cf. Cohen 36.

There's a trumpeter who, just from the most selfish motives, one could wish to have been able to hear more of.  

...By way of contrast, it's that momentous that Miles (who began life playing in one of Charlie Parker's smaller ensembles --early enough that, Mozart-like, he had to fake a moustache even to get into the clubs) blessed us all by living long enough to do the musical equivalent of circling the globe, once if not twice.  Here's how I can paraphrase one of his late quotations:

Know what?  (Expletive of choice:) there's Just Music.

I'm not suggesting that genres aren't relevant, or even useful; just that when you witness the extent to which they can be transcended, by a musical genius on that kind of level, it seriously gets to be its own thing. 

Edited by JeandAcre
1st paragraph: "been." he defense rests.
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1

On 1/30/2024 at 8:34 PM, JeandAcre said:

...Oh, No, @Roman Collector, "Fresh Air" just reaired this:

https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/2024/01/26/1226877301/fresh-air-for-jan-26-2024-remembering-p-d-q-bachs-peter-schickele-the-shangri-la?showDate=2024-01-26

When you posted 'Hansel and Gretel and Ted and Alice,' I was wanting to return the favor.  Here's one.  Likely it was already old enough that it took finding in the library, or maybe used. ...Only dates me in the wrong way.

Wait! a coin!  The most Greek I have pictures of are two complementary hemidrachms of Kolchis.  Sometimes dated as late as the 4th c. BCE, but even from out there in the western Caucasus region, I have to think that the pronounced archaism of the style puts them earlier than than that, by a century if not two.

image.jpeg.f3d1cf53c78407d3c77d604755c6aae4.jpeg

image.jpeg.9db2e9ef7a20eee85b3e3ec7838846d4.jpeg

@JeandAcreReally like those coins!

Kolchis5th-4thCBCEBIhemidrachm11_5mm1.8gArchaicfemaleheadpossiblyGeorgiangoddessDali-BullheadborderSNGCop98.JPG.ea348fa873342c82fca2a82f5e4df751.JPG

Kolchis

5th-4th C BCE

BI hemidrachm  11.5mm 1.8g

Archaic female head possibly Georgian goddess Dali -

Bull head  border

SNG Cop 98

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dali_(goddess)
upload_2020-3-8_17-10-50.png

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1

Since coins were not minted prior to 650 BCE or so, and the Egyptians were WAY late to the coin party, I have been collecting a few Scarabaei to capture landmarks in their History.

Pharaoh Thuthmosis III The Great

image.jpeg.6fc0985b8dc2ca5023b5b5bcd0fed9c8.jpeg

Egypt SCARAB Thuthmosis III ca 1504-1450 BCE ex CNG ex Hendin

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Brilliant, @Alegandron!  That scarab is fantastic --ex Hendin? Never Mind.  And the convergence of maybe the biggest name in the first half of the 18th Dynasty with a cartouche that's that esthetically powerful --and presumably fully translatable, in that condition-- is really compelling.

If you go back far enough, I was in correspondence here both with you and @DonnaML, on the same thread in 'Messages,' regarding this very kind of thing, precisely for your reasons.  You were a great help, by way of a dealer on VCoins, with a very inexpensive, but no less servicable ushabti (well, in more than one extra-theological capacity, at least!) of the Third Intermediate Period.  Corresponding sweetly (new edit: not 'with':) to the 25th Dynasty, my personal favorite along with the (who can argue?) 18th.  He dated it c. 1075-712 BCE, demonstrating that he was thinking in dynastic terms, rather than more generalized, abstract stylistic ones.  I've posted it before (...along with the diobols), but here are the front and back views, with the tie for the headdress.

image.jpeg.96e77e2b330148a9e9a188a39f25d1da.jpegimage.jpeg.38c04297e3b9b41743c297bbb97f62a0.jpeg

I'm still very much in the market for a nice but affordable scarab.  My favorite range is (drum-roll, please) 18th-25th Dynasties, inclusive.  ...If you ever had occasion to offer any more advice on who to find even one from, you could not fail to elicit my most cordial gratitude.  

Meanwhile, just starting from the ushabti, here's a little taste of Pharaoh Sanders; really a soundbyte, but very much in character.  ...And, Oh No, another recent loss to us.  Right, his personal cosmology came from some other planet, but this is how he played a sax.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 5

According to Constantine's biographer Eusebius, Constantine and his forces saw a cross of light in the sky, along with the Greek words for “In this sign conquer.” That night, Constantine had a dream in which Christ reinforced the message.

CONSTANTINEI.jpg.a03978559e66212d7118d8ef970a6f62.jpg

And a musical link to the subject. I got really interested in his musical talent in the early 80's.

Having contracted polio at the age of three, Dave was introduced to the saxophone as part of his treatment therapy. By the age of 14, he was able to play with legends such as Albert King and Little Milton. Dave went on to study music at Northwestern University before transferring to the University of Iowa where he played and studied with the great saxophonist JR Monterose.

Later traveling to California on the advice of a friend, he joined the Butterfield Blues Band and played Woodstock with Paul Butterfield. Following that, Dave toured with Stevie Wonder and recorded for Wonder’s Talking Book album, played with The Rolling Stones, and toured with David Bowie. It was with Bowie that he recorded the famous solo heard on “Young Americans”. At the same time, Dave was touring and recording with the great Gil Evans, dividing his time between the two. After moving to New York City and studying with George Coleman, Dave started his solo career where he later collaborated with such artists as Paul Simon and James Taylor.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

Today's earworm!

The rise of the ROMA inscription on the denarius.

CServiliusMfdenariusDioscuri.jpg.5f89ae3be33b45770e9fea3b417a7670.jpg
C Servilius Mf, 136 BCE.
Roman AR denarius, 3.76 g, 21.0 mm, 5 h.
Rome, 135 BCE.
Obv: Helmeted head of Roma, right; behind, wreath and denominational mark; below, ROMA.
Rev: The Dioscuri galloping in opposite directions, holding inverted spears; in exergue, 
C·SERVEILI·M·F.
Refs: Crawford RRC 239/1; Sydenham CRR 525; Sear RCV 116; RSC Servilia 1.

Edited by Roman Collector
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1

L. Memmius AR Denarius (20mm, 3.77 g.)
Rome mint, struck 109-108 BC Gens Memmia
Obv. Apollo facing right, wearing oak wreath, mark of value below chin.
Rev. The Dioscuri standing facing, each holding spears and bridle of their horses, Xanthus and Cyllarus. Moneyer name in exergue.
Crawford 304

nd2PR8zf4dAMQ7q6rGm9J6Ho5brXEJ.jpg.1c1a23b442fcdd45a0e191d2cfb522c1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Smile 1

Oh, wow, another one.  Today marks the passing of Aston 'Family Man' Barrett, bassist with Bob Marley and the Wailers back to 1970.  Not to mention any number of other reggae musicians on the same level, notably the dub great Augustus Pablo, Burning Spear, and Peter Tosh.

image.jpeg.94784fe819d00016c13018f3427be5cc.jpeg

Aksum /Axum.  Kaleb, fl. 520-530.  AV, loosely based on the tremisis.  (...Going back to the later 3rd c. CE, when the Greek legends were also much more consistent.  The degradation of the Greek here coincides with the ongoing use of Latin on Byzantine coins.  I doubt that's purely coincidental.)

Obv.  Kaleb crowned, holding what Munro-Hay calls a 'short stick;' two wheat stalks and inner border around.  

(At top:) Ge'ez rendering of 'Kaleb,' in three letters (KLB); called a 'monogram,' but conforming to traditionally unvowelled Afro-semitic practice, apart from being conjoined.

Retrograde Greek, from 4 o'clock: BACILEVS.

Rev.  Kaleb wearing a headcloth.  More retrograde Greek, translated as 'Son of Thezana.'  (Cf. Ezana, the first Christian king of Aksum.)

Munro-Hay Type 95; Hahn, cf. esp. 354.  (Several relatively minor variations.)

Despite the title, going back to the Island label, you can hear Bob Marley saying, "So Jah saith."  Thank you, the traditional Rasta Bible is, um, the King James Version.

• Like 5
  • Cry 1

More sad news as Mojo Nixon has crossed over. And looking at this portrait it seems Elvis really was everywhere, even ancient Rome where he played Caesars...

Julian II “The Philosopher” (as Caesar)

355-360 AD
AE3 (18mm, 2.68g)
O: Bare-headed, draped, and cuirassed bust right; D N IVLIANVS NOB C.
R: Soldier spearing fallen horseman; FEL TEMP REPARATIO, M in left field, ∆SISL in ex.
Siscia mint, 4th Officina
RIC VIII Siscia 382; Sear 4063v
ex Forvm Ancient Coins

Nothing says "Happy Days" quite like spearing a man while he's down. 

Mojo was an interesting cat, devoted in equal parts to rockabilly and humor. Unfortunately I never got to see him live with his band The Toad Lickers. RIP Mojo.

"whoa uh huh"

Julian_FTR.jpeg~2.jpg

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1
  • Cry 1

2 hours ago, Phil Anthos said:

More sad news as Mojo Nixon has crossed over. And looking at this portrait it seems Elvis really was everywhere, even ancient Rome where he played Caesars...

Julian II “The Philosopher” (as Caesar)

355-360 AD
AE3 (18mm, 2.68g)
O: Bare-headed, draped, and cuirassed bust right; D N IVLIANVS NOB C.
R: Soldier spearing fallen horseman; FEL TEMP REPARATIO, M in left field, ∆SISL in ex.
Siscia mint, 4th Officina
RIC VIII Siscia 382; Sear 4063v
ex Forvm Ancient Coins

Nothing says "Happy Days" quite like spearing a man while he's down. 

Mojo was an interesting cat, devoted in equal parts to rockabilly and humor. Unfortunately I never got to see him live with his band The Toad Lickers. RIP Mojo.

"whoa uh huh"

Julian_FTR.jpeg~2.jpg

I can only mean, this is why this thread is so (minor expletive of choice) well, freaking Great.  @Phil Anthos, this Gets to be Too Much, in the best imaginable sense.  Further minor expletives of choice inexorably ensue.  Forget the one-word oxymoron "text" version: I Am Not Done Laughing.  Just, Thank you.  This really should qualify as a profound public service.

• Like 1

4813457_1699292679.jpg

(From the original listing:)

NEDERLAND, DEVENTER, keizerlijke munt, Koenraad II (1027-1039), AR denier. Vz/ Gekroond hoofd v.v., met baard. Kz/ Kruis met vier punten in de hoeken. Ilisch I, 1.11; Dan. 566. 0,98 g. Zeldzaam. Deels zwak.

Zeer Fraai (Very Fine)

And. having stayed up Much too late, I'm Needing some Dead.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

Sorry, but now is when I have to ask, how drunk are we?

LOL, nope not inebriated. I may have one, maybe two beers a month, anymore.  You need to see more of this guy’s work. His schtick is hilarious as a clown, but his voice is great. He has done songs without the makeup. 

• Smile 1

Duly busted, @Phil Anthos

...Changing the subject (conveniently, for some of us), this is the latest, conspicuously benign earworm. 

But first, some of that coin stuff.  To cut to the chase, regarding historical context, Louis VII married Eleanor of Aquitaine; after the Second Crusade, they divorced.  Not long after, in 1152, the future Henry II married her.  But neither of them was really up to the challenge of a queen who was, just for instance, more literate than either of them was, with a corresponding level of self-assertion, on numerous levels.  ...Instead of divorcing her, Henry resorted to the expedient of imprisoning her for decades at a time.  ...My own takeaway is that, if you don't like strong women, just, don't go there in the first place.

image.jpeg.d71d127bac5208bf607eef70b642dff3.jpeg

image.jpeg.6788db903bed1f87d115b89f853d6af6.jpeg

Louis VII (1137-1180); a royal issue of Bourges; an archbishopric, but also already within the Capetian royal demesne.  Duplessy doesn't help with the date of the issue.

Obv. Louis, crowned.  +LVDOVICVS REX (X 'boulete.')

Rev. Floriate cross; +VRBS BI [/] TVRICA.  Duplessy, Royales no. 154.

image.jpeg.8812bdd46fede84716b46d8593268d88.jpeg

'Anonymes sous [after] Guillaume X [duc d'Aquitaine 1126-1137; father of Eleanor of Aquitaine].'

Rev.  +AGVITATANIE.

Rev.  Two crosslets; 'A[lpha]' below; 'w [omega, reversed]' above.  +DVCISIT ['S' couchant].

Duplessy, Feodales 1023, disputing the traditional attribution of this issue to Eleanor of Aquitaine.

image.jpeg.286a019e5ecd0567cf584b4c73ae9fdd.jpeg

image.jpeg.1451309b569fead15d7506af1dd3d523.jpeg

Henri I, duc d'Aquitaine 1152-1189; issued as Henry II, King of England 1154-1189.

Obv.  +hENRICVS REX ('S' couchant).

Rev. (in three lines:) o+o [/] AGVI [/] TANI.  (Duplessy, Feodales 1030.)

Finally, the music.  This was playing in a supermarket over the past year, decades after I'd ever heard it on the radio. 

• Like 4

A fine earworm, too, @JeandAcre! That song reminds me of the innocent days of grade school back in the early 70s. 

Although a different genre altogether, when I hear "fool" in a song's lyrics -- especially the title -- I think of yacht rock, which is admittedly not my favorite genre. One of the characteristics of yacht rock is that it involves complex and wry lyrics about heartbroken, foolish men, particularly involving the word "fool," according to JD Ryznar's Yacht Rock Primer, cited in Wikipedia.

A yacht rock staple is "What a Fool Believes" (with "fool" conspicuously in the title, of course), by the Michael McDonald era Doobie Brothers. Jacobin, in an article critical of the genre's bland, apolitical nature, once described Michael McDonald as a "bleached, blue-eyed soul cracker." 

In the yacht rock vein, here's a bland, non-controversial old coin issued by a bland, non-controversial old emperor.

AntoninusPiusANNONAAVGSCSestertius.jpg.c1c8119aef318fadda6e75220db8dcb9.jpg
Antoninus Pius, AD 138-161.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 23.16 g, 29 mm.
Rome, AD 142.
Obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III, laureate head right.
Rev: ANNONA AVG S C, Annona standing right, between modius and prow, holding corn ears and out-turned cornucopiae.
Refs: RIC 597; BMCRE 1228; Cohen 37; RCV 4147; UCR 502. 

And here's a bonus "fool"-themed yacht rock track.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1