I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

My CD copy of Telefís a Dó arrived this week and it's great.

Sad that it will be the last work of Cathal Coughlan 😞

Here's a short one

The Age of Cling:

Here's a little fifth stater instead of the stater which I'd already posted recently!
spacer.png

Rock on...

Edited by akeady
Whoops - I posted the same song and one of the tracks last month :o - changed!
  • Like 7

Great tunes Steve! I played that Social Distortion song a few days ago.

tab.jpg.b443d7d0676165389e7fe71141c9ad1e.jpg

Caria, Tabai. AD 69-79 AD. Dionysos/Caps of the Dioscuri.

Obv: ΤΑΒΗΝΩΝ. Head of Dionysus with ivy wreath, r.
Rev: ΚΑΛΛΙΚΡΑΤΗΣ ΒΡΑX. Altar with caps of the Dioscuri, uncertain object between.
RPC II, 1251.

• Like 6
  • Smile 1

nicaea.jpg.19349dcfbae7cce067a55a387eb1b971.jpg

Bithynia, Nicaea. Valerian (253-260). AE26

Obv: ΠΟV ΛΙΚ ΟVΑΛΕΡΙΑΝΟC CEB / Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust left, raising hand and holding eagle-tipped sceptre over shoulder.
Rev: NIKAIEΩN / Gallienus and Valerian I facing each other in military dress, clasping hands and each holding a spear; Valerian II, togate, standing left, holding patera.
Cf. SNG Copenhagen 536.

• Like 4
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1

On 10/20/2022 at 12:07 PM, Steve said:

Well, hello ...

Ummm, I haven't tossed-in an ol' tune and/or an ol' song in quite a while, so here's a happy little tune ...

KINGS of COMMAGENE

Antiochos IV Epiphanes Æ28

AD 38-72

Diameter: 28 mm

Weight: 15.57 grams

Obverse: Diademed and draped bust right

Reverse: Scorpion within wreath

Reference: RPC I 3854; AC 199 (obv. legend)

Other: 12h … earthen brown patina, rubbed on the high points, two long scratches near obverse edge (sweet blue-green toning)

Ex-stevex6

Kings of Commagene.jpg

cheers, coiners

@Steve, since the '60's, when he had his own tv show (and I was that low to the ground), I've always loved Johnny Cash for being who he was.  In, well, fairly stark contrast to his music. 

This track --Which I've never heard; from his last album?-- has summarily done A Lot to narrow the distance between the two. 

...Granted, I Saw his Jesus movie.  Some memorable songs were on that, too, but,

Damn, a 

Blonde (expletive of choice) Jesus?

-->Really?

The kind of wish fulfillment that has since gone completely off the rails among that many white Evangelicals.

Here's an anonymous AE of Aksum, c. second half of the 4th century (yep, in this context, it's pretty emphatically 'politically correct' to use this:) A. D., versus CE.  At the moment, the operant Munro-Hay reference is on the bottom of an already scarily tilting pile of books, but the legends (in Koine Greek) go like this.

Obv. (From 8 o'clock:) BACI [/] /\EVC    

Rev. TOYTOAPECCHT (...And so forth.  I've never been able to find a literal translation from  the Greek; it's routinely rendered 'May this please the people /country.') 

image.jpeg.940e562595ecd073425ddf69ddfd28e0.jpeg

And This time, I actually Know what tune is called for.  From people who actually Read (and quote) their Bible, King James or not. 

(Okay, one more edit, as of late 22 Oct., Pacific time, and I'll be done.  In the King James version --the traditional preference of Rastas, likely as not by historical (you can include, colonial) accident-- the Hebrew name of God, often transliterated 'YHWH,' is rendered 'Jah' on either side of a dozen times.  ...In its translation of the Tanakh (especially the Psalms); after which I lost count.)

Edited by JeandAcre
That stupidly redundant 'later 4th century' at the bottom, that I missed before linking to the tune.
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, akeady said:

My CD copy of Telefís a Dó arrived this week and it's great.

Sad that it will be the last work of Cathal Coughlan 😞

Here's a short one

The Age of Cling:

Here's a little fifth stater instead of the stater which I'd already posted recently!
spacer.png

Rock on...

Amazing, @akeady.  I had to bookmark the website, once I found it. 

https://telefis.bandcamp.com/

2 hours ago, AncientOne said:

nicaea.jpg.19349dcfbae7cce067a55a387eb1b971.jpg

Bithynia, Nicaea. Valerian (253-260). AE26

Obv: ΠΟV ΛΙΚ ΟVΑΛΕΡΙΑΝΟC CEB / Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust left, raising hand and holding eagle-tipped sceptre over shoulder.
Rev: NIKAIEΩN / Gallienus and Valerian I facing each other in military dress, clasping hands and each holding a spear; Valerian II, togate, standing left, holding patera.
Cf. SNG Copenhagen 536.

Dang, @AncientOne, now, at least, the whole world can know that there's such a thing as virtuoso penny-whistle playing.  Blow Me Down.

• Like 2

Today's earworm is an old tune.

And here's an old coin that has nothing thematically to do with the Village People.

[IMG]
Greek AE 17
Mysia, Cyzicus, c. 400 BC - 280 BC or later 4.02 g; 17.3 mm
Obv: Head of Persephone, right.
Rev: KY/ZI either side of tripod; tunny fish below; plectrum in field, right.
Refs: BMC 15.37,136; Sear Greek 3861; c.f. SNG Cop 62.

• Like 8

The Lord's Prayer in Latin always hits difffrent than it does in english. I quite like the Ecclesiastical Latin version presented here. 

From Sulpicius Severus's Life of Saint Martin:

"When a number of bishops from various parts had assembled to the Emperor Maximus, a man of fierce character, and at that time elated with the victory he had won in the civil wars, and when the disgraceful flattery of all around the emperor was generally remarked, while the priestly dignity had, with degenerate submissiveness, taken a second place to the royal retinue, in Martin alone, apostolic authority continued to assert itself. 

For even if he had to make suit to the sovereign for some things, he commanded rather than entreated him; and although often invited, he kept away from his entertainments, saying that he could not take a place at the table of one who, out of two emperors, had deprived one of his kingdom, and the other of his life.

At last, when Maximus maintained that he had not of his own accord assumed the sovereignty, but that he had simply defended by arms the necessary requirements of the empire, regard to which had been imposed upon him by the soldiers, according to the Divine appointment, and that the favor of God did not seem wanting to him who, by an event seemingly so incredible, had secured the victory, adding to that the statement that none of his adversaries had been slain except in the open field of battle, at length, Martin, overcome either by his reasoning or his entreaties, came to the royal banquet.

The king was wonderfully pleased because he had gained this point. Moreover, there were guests present who had been invited as if to a festival; men of the highest and most illustrious rank, - the prefect, who was also consul, named Evodius, one of the most righteous men that ever lived; two courtiers possessed of the greatest power, the brother and uncle of the king, while between these two, the presbyter of Martin had taken his place; but he himself occupied a seat which was set quite close to the king.

About the middle of the banquet, according to custom, one of the servants presented a goblet to the king. He orders it rather to be given to the very holy bishop, expecting and hoping that he should then receive the cup from his right hand. But Martin, when he had drunk, handed the goblet to his own presbyter, as thinking no one worthier to drink next to himself, and holding that it would not be right for him to prefer either the king himself, or those who were next the king, to the presbyter.

And the emperor, as well as all those who were then present, admired this conduct so much, that this very thing, by which they had been undervalued, gave them pleasure. The report then ran through the whole palace that Martin had done, at the king’s dinner, what no bishop had dared to do at the banquets of the lowest judges."

Mb2y3YmRP4rs8pLtQ6TyJFr7T5PzkD-1.jpg

Magnus Maximus AR Siliqua 

A.D. 383-388 

Trier Mint

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

@Magnus Maximus, I'm loving and needing the primary account of St. Martin's capacity to affect your avatar's namesake in this way.  Not to mention the plainchant, and a siliqua from a terrifically pertinent mint.

Granted that this was already well after the interval when you had to worry about the emperor being Arian (effectively proto-Deist) instead of Catholic, the magnanimity of Magnus's response is striking.  It has to remind me of the favorable reception given to the Hebrews by various foreign powers, over the course of the Tanahkh (ending with Cyrus the Persian).  As well as later, including Sasanians and numerous Muslim polities, from the earlier Caliphates to the earlier 13th c. CE.  --Notably in Iberia, even as late (according to Simon Maimonides) as the Almohads.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1

Here's some Steve Miller to bump this thread back to page 1:

And here's an old coin:

[IMG]
Philip II, AD 244-249 (or 247-249).
Roman provincial Æ 28.0 mm, 14.93 g, 12 h.
Syria: Commagene, Zeugma.
Obv: AVTOK K M IOVΛI ΦIΛIΠΠOC CЄB, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: ZЄYΓMATЄΩN, tetrastyle temple, before which is a grove; colonnade on right and left; portico in front. Capricorn right in exergue.
Refs: Sear 4142; BMC 40; Butcher 31c; SNC 60-62.

The coin has almost a 3-D effect when viewed obliquely.

[IMG]

• Like 7
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1

Constantine II and Brothers in arms

Constantine II. AE 3, Antioch AD 330-335, under Constantine I

OBV: CONSTANTIUS IVN NOBC

Laureate and cuirassed, right

REV: GLOR IAEXERC ITVS

Two soldiers, each with spear and shield, flanking two banners. Dots above and within both banners.

SMANS in exergue.

16.8mm, 2.72g.

Ric VII Antioch 87,s

Purchased from Castellet Classical Numismatics

20221025_205743__2_-removebg-preview.png.c5b86b631b5875239c9276b32152041a.png20221025_205817__2_-removebg-preview.png.0d9638c574a84a79ae1140747ebef8d5.png

th?id=OVP.1M_7QDbnwQTUSY4msTit0wHgFo&w=6

Edited by expat
  • Like 5
  • Cool Think 1

I just saw that Pierce Turner is playing in Dublin next month - I'll definitely go!

A review of a Pierce Turner album I read a long time ago said something to the effect that in a parallel universe Pierce would be #1 worldwide.   If the Many Universes theory is true, then he is and that world is probably a better place.

Here's one that arrived yesterday - a Roman Republican cast as, post-semi-libral weight standard, so not huge.

Æ-As, 215/212 BC, anonym; 88,38 g.
BMC 23; Crawf. 41/5 a; Syd. 101.

original_7739a191-7643-45d2-bdda-bfd03970c3ff_PA291774.JPG.e5e37be95ca3e0e6aec333236b290e0d.JPG976854071_PA291775(1).JPG.68ad59d16004cf2b96ca56f1bb611088.JPG

ATB,
Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1

Some terrific, mind-expanding contemporary Irish stuff, @akeady.

Contrarian that I was born to be, here's some old Scottish stuff. 

But first, a tetarteron of John II Comnenus.  I like Comnenan AE fractions generally, and this one had unusually complete legends.  (Transliterating, '+IW DECPO [...] T [....].'

image.jpeg.c55bab7b2381995bfa32b29bbb6f33ce.jpeg

And here's the tune.  Known from the NPR show, 'The Thistle and Shamrock' (...more thistle than shamrock, but some of both), back to the 1990's, at least.

• Like 6

Thanks, @Constantivs.  I always knew there were good reasons to like Tragically Hip, especially after the coverage from NPR and  the CBC of the lead singer/songwriter's tragic departure.  ...Thanks to you, I'm getting some traction with the 'why' part.

An AE of Hataz, Aksumite /Axumite, c. later 6th c.  I since 'upgraded' this, but only, Promise you, for the portrait.  This is late enough for the legends to all be in Ge'ez, which is to Amharic sort of like Old English is to English.  Except that it's still the liturgical language of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, which also gives it affinities with the Latin Mass.

image.jpeg.f37598287dd39eb7cb5a5368c31c106b.jpeg

Right, another Canadian.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

Some terrific, mind-expanding contemporary Irish stuff, @akeady.

Contrarian that I was born to be, here's some old Scottish stuff. 

But first, a tetarteron of John II Comnenus.  I like Comnenan AE fractions generally, and this one had unusually complete legends.  (Transliterating, '+IW DECPO [...] T [....].'

image.jpeg.c55bab7b2381995bfa32b29bbb6f33ce.jpeg

And here's the tune.  Known from the NPR show, 'The Thistle and Shamrock' (...more thistle than shamrock, but some of both), back to the 1990's, at least.

The video doesn't play for me 😞

Pierce seems a very nice guy - he's completely down-to-earth and nothing like the typical rockstar at his gigs.   He's played Glastonbury, shared the bill on a Tibet House Benefit Concert with Iggy Pop and Patti Smith and his first two albums were produced by Philip Glass, so plenty of critical cred.

https://www.pierceturner.com/bio/

I first heard of him in the mid-1990s when two friends of mine set aside their enmity to share a taxi to a gig at a remote pub in County Cork (Connolly's of Leap, IIRC).   Pierce tends to play small venues and did one Irish tour where he played in private houses.   Anyone who had a decent piano and enough room for a few guests to sit in (15) could ask him to play.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/wexfordpeople/news/pierce-makes-house-calls-on-a-tour-with-a-difference-27684069.html

2004, it didn't seem that long ago!

ATB,

Aidan.

• Like 2
  • Cry 1

40 minutes ago, AncientOne said:

New(good) tunes are hard to find.

prym.jpg.5fed21c03cf4013165059697c8e7521e.jpg

PHRYGIA. Prymnessus. Pseudo-autonomous. Time of the Antonines (138-192). Ae. Obv: ΔΗΜΟС. Laureate head of Demos right. Rev: ΠΡVΜΝΗСЄΩΝ. Zeus seated left on throne, holding Nike and sceptre.

Well, thanks for that one, @AncientOne.  Here's another one, by my favorite proponent of jazz /hip-hop fusion.

Here's an ostensibly Latin trachy (from Naumann), with the Archangel Michael taking the place of a superhero; winged, holding a globe cruciger, and ready to kick some serious butt, should the occasion warrant.

image.jpeg.d9bc41dc19847237d7ca812b7b17b5a4.jpeg

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 5

On 10/30/2022 at 9:59 AM, akeady said:

The video doesn't play for me 😞

Pierce seems a very nice guy - he's completely down-to-earth and nothing like the typical rockstar at his gigs.   He's played Glastonbury, shared the bill on a Tibet House Benefit Concert with Iggy Pop and Patti Smith and his first two albums were produced by Philip Glass, so plenty of critical cred.

https://www.pierceturner.com/bio/

I first heard of him in the mid-1990s when two friends of mine set aside their enmity to share a taxi to a gig at a remote pub in County Cork (Connolly's of Leap, IIRC).   Pierce tends to play small venues and did one Irish tour where he played in private houses.   Anyone who had a decent piano and enough room for a few guests to sit in (15) could ask him to play.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/wexfordpeople/news/pierce-makes-house-calls-on-a-tour-with-a-difference-27684069.html

2004, it didn't seem that long ago!

ATB,

Aidan.

Sorry about that, Aidan.  Let's see if it works any better in Spottify than in YouTube.  --From here, it's Track 3, The Broom A' the Cowdenowes.

• Like 4

Today is the 36th anniversary of the release of Bizarre Love Triangle.

I suppose this calls for some Elagabalus!

[IMG]
Elagabalus, AD 218-222.
Roman AR Denarius, 2.80 g, 18.3 mm, 6 h.
Rome mint, AD 221-222.
Obv: IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right, with horn on top of his head, signifying divine power.
REV: SACERD DEI SOLIS ELAGAB, Elagabalus, in priestly robes, standing right, sacrificing over altar and holding cypress branch, star in field, right.
Refs: RIC 131; BMCRE 225-226; Cohen 246; RCV 7542; Thirion 302.

• Like 5

From Sunny Spain, Here comes the sun and a bit of Sol

th?id=OVP.WWmTzwaDUkZC8jkrXimdhAHgFo&w=2

20221025_230536__2_-removebg-preview.png.ff920a44fd63798b2b461d06af89a723.png20221025_230601__2_-removebg-preview.png.0a5c57d3bf1f562fee229df309abf2b1.png

Constantine I. AE 3 follis, Trier AD 310-311, under Constantine I

OBV: CONSTANTIVS AVG

Laureate and cuirassed, right.

REV: SOLIIN VICTO

Sol facing forward looking right, with chlamys over left shoulder, raising right hand and holding globe in left.

PTR in exergue

21.1mm, 2.98g

Riv VI Treveri 899

Puchased from Castellet Classical Numismatics

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

I just see that Keith Levene, formerly of The Clash and Public Image Limited, has died at 65.

Here are a couple of classic early PIL numbers.

Here's a recent arrival.

Leo I solidus RIC 605.   This was apparently part of a hoard found in Italy in 1954.   The coins are now being sold by Roma Numismatics and an article on the hoard is due out shortly.

spacer.png

spacer.png

ATB,

Aidan.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

Richard Thompson playing So Ben Mi Ca Bon Tempo by Orazio Vecchi from around 1590. He does play the song eventually, but he chatters a bit beforehand. Then a medieval Italian coin from a few hundred years before.

1139_to_1339_ItalyGenoa_Gross_01.png.6b5810fcc0b468d8ce7019dee59adbf4.png1139_to_1339_ItalyGenoa_Gross_02.png.cc0a483bb3d9b0f1e257b456b471bd8c.png
Italy, Republic of Genoa, 1139 - 1339 AR Gross ND; Obv: +.IA.NV.A. Castle view; Rev: CVNRADIREX, Maltese type cross with six diamonds around. Ref: Biaggi 895

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 5

This thread needs a bump and some Lobo!

I've owned this coin for ages and I love it. It was formerly owned by Clarence Bement (1843-1923).

[IMG]
Julia Domna, AD 193-217
Roman orichalcum dupondius; 10.61 gm, 24.2 mm
Rome, issue 6, AD 195
Obv: IVLIA DOMNA AVG, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: FECVNDITAS, Fecunditas enthroned right, nursing one child, second child stands before her.
Refs: RIC 844; BMCRE 494; Cohen 43; Hill 126; RCV 6639
Notes: Ex Ars Classica VIII, 1924, Bement Collection, lot 1184. Die-match to BMCRE-494, pl. 21.4.

• Like 7