Post your latest ancient!

CPK

• Benefactor

I don't usually buy additional denarii of the Severan royal women these days, but I liked the portrait on this one, and hadn't previously run across an example of Felicitas holding a caduceus:

Julia Mamaea (mother of Severus Alexander), AR Denarius, AD 228, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right wearing diadem (or stephane), IVLIA MA-MAEA AVG/ Rev. Felicitas standing front, head to left, legs crossed, resting left elbow on column and holding long caduceus* transversely in right hand, FELICI-TAS PVBLICA. RIC IV-2 335, RSC III Julia Mamaea 17 (ill. p. 148), Sear RCV II 8209 (ill. p. 678), BMCRE VI (Severus Alexander) 483. 20 mm., 2.64 g. Purchased 8 Mar 2024 from Gert Boersma Ancient Coins, Hasselt, Netherlands.

image.jpeg.709ec46eb77c883969bf0703aae05e68.jpeg

*See John Melville Jones, A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (London, Seaby, 1999) at p. 166 (entry for “Felicitas”), explaining that Felicitas signified “joy” in the sense of the proseperity and success of the Roman state. The formulation “Felicitas Publica” emphasizes that aspect. See also id p. 43 (entry for “Caduceus”), noting that the caduceus “often … appears as an attribute of . . . personifications suggesting peace, stability, and concert,” including Felicitas.

Here is my only other Julia Mamaea  coin.  Not bad by any standard, but I thought the new one was sufficiently interesting to buy it.

Julia Mamaea (mother of Severus Alexander), AR Denarius, AD 231, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right wearing diadem (or stephane), IVLIA MA-MAEA AVG/ Rev. Venus stdg. front, head left, holding helmet & scepter, shield leans against her at left. VENVS V-ICTRIX. RIC IV-2 358, RSC III Julia Mamaea 76 (ill.), Sear RCV II 8216 (ill. p. 679), BMCRE VI (Severus Alexander) 713. 20.5 mm., 2.88 g. Purchased 13 April 2018 from Sphinx Numismatics, Markham ON Canada.

image.jpeg.ada22492c95e3e83b954603714830159.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Heart Eyes 1

Posted · Supporter

Going with @DonnaML's theme of appealing portrait coins, here is one of my latest purchases - a scarce denarius of Geta as Augustus, complete with a very fine mature portrait. He really looks like a younger version of his dad on this coin!

GetadenariusProvidentia.jpg.30b1254cd0f1a5e6c7e9cdd79a8bb13f.jpg

GETA as Augustus, AD 209-211
AR Denarius (19.14mm, 3.39g, 7h)
Struck AD 211. Rome mint
Obverse: P SEPT GETA PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate and bearded bust of Geta right
Reverse: TR P II-I COS II P P, Providentia (?), standing facing, head left, holding torch in right hand and globe in left
References: RIC IV 81 (S), RCV 7252
Lightly toned. A scarce type, featuring an outstanding mature portrait of the ill-fated young Augustus.

• Like 14
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 8

Yes, @CPK, adding a Geta as Augustus is a good milestone. Congratulations! 

What is interesting and a piece of puzzle to understand the rivalry between the two brothers - apparently Geta wanted to be seen as the true successor of Seprimius Severus as there are a lot of portraits where the ressemblance is very straight forward - 

image.png.4f53713a8d19fe0ce0653da16b5d6e51.png

(not my coin)

Speaking of appealing portrait, I bought this one as I really like the portrait (and the bust type) + a reverse with a proud Mars 

image.png.4d9d2fe261cb3a266cfc14d20d083868.png

21 mm, 3,56 g.
Probus 276-282 AD. Æ Antoninianus. Siscia.
IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, bust of Probus, radiate, cuirassed, left, with spear and shield / VIRTVS PROBI AVG, Mars, helmeted, walking right, holding spear in right hand and trophy in left hand. Mintmark: -/P//XXI.
RIC V Probus 810.

• Like 17

image.jpeg.56fa66dae075450ac3dde1f37be8c432.jpeg

Octavian, 44-27 BC. Denarius , 3.64g, uncertain mint in Italy (Rome?), autumn 31-summer 30.
Obv: Bare head of Octavian to left. 
Rev: CAESAR - DIVI•F Victory standing to left on globe, holding wreath in her right hand and palm frond in her left.
BMC 603. Cohen 64. CRI 407. RIC 254b.

I found myself admiring this specimen during the previous Leu auction, harboring a faint hope that I might be able to acquire it. But, no... it ultimately hammered for around $4400 (incl. fees). Impossible.
That's why I opted for this alternative, with a price of $700. In hand, it has a very attractive appearance with a striking high relief. The surface corrosion is much more visible on the photo than in hand.

• Like 17
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 7

4 hours ago, Salomons Cat said:

image.jpeg.56fa66dae075450ac3dde1f37be8c432.jpeg

Octavian, 44-27 BC. Denarius , 3.64g, uncertain mint in Italy (Rome?), autumn 31-summer 30.
Obv: Bare head of Octavian to left. 
Rev: CAESAR - DIVI•F Victory standing to left on globe, holding wreath in her right hand and palm frond in her left.
BMC 603. Cohen 64. CRI 407. RIC 254b.

I found myself admiring this specimen during the previous Leu auction, harboring a faint hope that I might be able to acquire it. But, no... it ultimately hammered for around $4400 (incl. fees). Impossible.
That's why I opted for this alternative, with a price of $700. In hand, it has a very attractive appearance with a striking high relief. The surface corrosion is much more visible on the photo than in hand.

Small differences cause an exponential increase in the price. That's what happens in a hobby that the rich enjoy, since you have to go very high before they care that they are overpaying. Luckily, they leave a lot of slightly less perfect examples for the rest of us.

• Like 5
  • Yes 1

A minty Marcus Aurelius upgrade. 

Marcus Aurelius, (A.D. 161-180), silver denarius, Rome Mint, issued A.D. 172-3, (3.17 g), obv. laureate head of Marcus Aurelius to right, around M ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXVII, rev. around IMP VI COS III, German captive seated right at foot of trophy, shield behind, (cf.S.4911, RIC 278, RSC 297). Nearly extremely fine - extremely fine and scarce.

Ex Dr Hugh Preston Collection.

Previously Harlan Berk August 1997, lot 358.

image04294.jpg?1710418259

• Like 19
  • Heart Eyes 4

Posted · Supporter
18 minutes ago, KenDorney said:

Working on a collection of Roman ladies and their hairstyles, just picked up some of the easiest for far (trying to get decent EF if possible).  

1.jpeg

9517.jpg

9520.jpg

9561.jpg

15261.jpg

I'd say you're off to a fantastic start! I especially like the Faustina coins. I have one coming that I'm pretty excited about.

This is my last purchase, a Nero type that I have been searching it for a long time.
It's from the Rome mint with the emperor portrait in high relief.

Nero. Orichalcum sestertius, Rome mint, 64 AD. RIC 149    
NERO CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GERM P M TR P IMP P P, laureate head right wearing aegis / 
S C, triumphal arch surmounted by statue of Nero in quadriga, Victory on left holds wreath and palm, Pax on right holds caduceus and cornucopia, wreath in archway, statue
of Mars, naked and helmeted, in niche.  35 mm / 26.2 g

image.jpeg.1b86be9563438543af32eb8f33085e88.jpeg

image.jpeg.373f169a7ccfd1c63616c27e9b44ad1c.jpeg

Edited by singig
  • Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 2

Posted · Supporter
18 minutes ago, singig said:

This is my last purchase, a Nero type that I have been searching it for a long time.
It's from the Rome mint with the emperor portrait in high relief.

Nero. Orichalcum sestertius, Rome mint, 64 AD. RIC 149    
NERO CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GERM P M TR P IMP P P, laureate head right wearing aegis / 
S C, triumphal arch surmounted by statue of Nero in quadriga, Victory on left holds wreath and palm, Pax on right holds caduceus and cornucopia, wreath in archway, statue
of Mars, naked and helmeted, in niche.  35 mm / 26.2 g

image.jpeg.1b86be9563438543af32eb8f33085e88.jpeg

image.jpeg.373f169a7ccfd1c63616c27e9b44ad1c.jpeg

An interesting reverse type with a great high-relief portrait. Very nice!

• Thanks 1

My latest coin is yet another Trajan, this time a denarius. It’s easily the nicest coin in my collection and makes for a great new profile.

Trajan, Denarius, Rome, 112-114, Laureate and draped bust of Trajan facing right, IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P, Aquila between vexillum on left and standard on right, S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI, RIC II Trajan 294 (denarius).

IMG_2726.jpeg

IMG_2727.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 2

On 4/15/2024 at 3:55 PM, KenDorney said:

Working on a collection of Roman ladies and their hairstyles, just picked up some of the easiest for far (trying to get decent EF if possible).  

1.jpeg

9517.jpg

9520.jpg

9561.jpg

15261.jpg

Speaking of hairstyles...

This empress seemed to have a fairly unique style.

(SELLER'S PHOTOS)

image.png.911cad3a1fee95475bb8342e35db2885.pngimage.png.2a23988cf440ca7e89c3da24e816e4d9.png

GALERIA VALERIA, wife of Maximian Galerius. (AD 308-309). AE follis. Antioch Mint.

O: GAL VALERIA AVG B; diademed, draped right.

R: VENERI VICTRICI/ B/ ANT; Venus standing left, holding an apple and lifting her dress over her shoulder. At the top left, a crescent.

RIC 107

• Like 12

image.png.bae20caf0a56aa826314e20940a32286.png

16 mm, 3,34 g.

Sicily. Syracuse. Second Democracy. Æ hemilitron. 410-405 BC.

Head of Arethusa to left, hair bound with ampyx and tied in sphendone; behind head, two leaves / Dolphin swimming to right; below, scallop-shell; between Σ Y P A.

Calciati, CNS II, 55, 24; SNG Morcom 687-690; SNG ANS 415-425; SNG Copenhagen 697-699; HGC 2, 1480.

I am always impressed by these thick, emerald green toned (it is darker than in the pics) coins from Syracuse. I love the artistry on the portrait. 

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 1

I was able to check a new Augustus, Byzantine Emperor, and Crusader off the list this last week along with a new Victory type.  I was amazed at the speed in which the 3 from the Sol Numismatik auction arrived. The auction was on the 13th and they arrived today via DHL. Slovenia to Maryland in 4 days. Not shabby at all. The other was an ebay purchase from a local seller so they always arrive in a day or two.

Without further ado, the coins:
Quietususurper260-261ADAntoninianusSamosatamintAPOLINICONSERVA.png.01d8acd2f6559cbed5d648a69d21e06e.png

Quietus
  Billon antoninianus
  260-261 AD
  Obverse: IMP C FVL QVIETVS PF AVG, radiate, draped bust right
  Reverse: APOLINI CONSERVA, Apollo standing left, holding laurel branch, left hand on lyre

TancredRegentPrincipalityofAntioch1101-1112ADFollis.png.062b692cd3cc9d1ebda02f91dc7e7754.png

Tancred, regent
 1101-1112 AD
  Principality of Antioch
  Follis
  Obverse: Armored, bearded bust of Tancred facing, holding upraised sword; cross of four pellets above
  Reverse: Cross pommetée, fleuronnée at base; IC XC NI KA in quarters

ConstantineIAEfollisConstantinople327-328ADLIBERT-A-SPVBLICACONSE.png.7156a48ed212cc105d13269678fad38f.png

Constantine I
 AE Follis
 Constantinople
 327-328 AD
 Obverse: CONSTANTI-NVS MAX AVG, head right wearing ladder-shaped pearl and rosette diadem
 Reverse: LIBERT-A-S PVBLICA; Victory standing facing, head left, on galley; holding wreath in each hand. Epsilon in 
 left field
 Mintmark CONS

RomanusIAEFollis913-959ADConstantinople.png.7121187f3a4ce3a07a78f986236e4e66.png

Romanus I
AE Follis
913-959 AD
Constantinople
Obverse: RWMAN bASILEVS RWM, crowned, bearded, facing bust of Romanus, wearing chlamys, holding labarum and cross on globe
Reverse:  RWMA-N EN QEW   bA-SILEVS RW-MAIWN, legend in four lines

• Like 18

Crossing off coins from your want list is one of life's little pleasures, so nicely done @Furryfrog02. I also picked up a crusader coin of Tancred. It has a different sand patina than yours and is an overstrike. 

image.jpeg.f683cf46c7fbdd8329d71083a2f84d93.jpegCrusaders. Antioch, Tancred, Regent. 11011112. AE Follis (3.48 gm, 22.3mm, 12h) during Bohemund I's captivity. 2ⁿᵈ type. Facing bust, wearing turban and holding sword. Cross from undertype to right. [+KЄ BΘ TΩ TANKPI] or similar.  / Cross pommetée, fleuronée at base, with I̅C̅ X̄C / [NI KA] (Jesus Christ Conquers) in quarters, but undertype on the right side, on 6h axis. aVF. Undertype reads [KE]BOI ʘHT[OΔVO]  ΛOC[OVT] [TA]NK[PI]. (Lord, Help Your Servant Tancred). Herakles Numismatics, Wilmington NC (Azalea Festival) Coin Show.  ex-Numismatik Naumann 104 #1055.  MPS CCS 4a; Metcalf 63-70; Schlumberger pl.2 #7; Wäckerlin 85-87. Overstruck on a 1ˢᵗ type follis, CCS 3a.
  • Like 20

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

I've tried several times in the last few years to upgrade my one Lucilla denarius, which I bought six years ago, not long after I began actively collecting ancient coins.  But the first two upgrade attempts I purchased were both lost in the mail -- one from Germany and one from Canada.  Given that the total number of coins I've bought that have ever been permanently lost in the mail is three, I can only conclude that there's a Lucilla thief out there!

The third try, a purchase from cgb.fr, was apparently the charm, because it just arrived yesterday.  It's admittedly not quite as nice as the two that were lost, but I'm pleased with it nonetheless. Among other things, the Palladium on the reverse is more recognizable as such than in most ancient coin depictions I've seen.

Lucilla (wife of Lucius Verus & daughter of Marcus Aurelius) AR Denarius, Rome Mint AD 164-66. Obv. Draped bust right with hair in small chignon pulled behind her head, LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F / Rev. Vesta standing left, veiled and draped, sacrificing over lighted altar from simpulum (ladle)* held in her right hand, and holding Palladium [statue of Pallas Athena taken to Rome by Aeneas] in her left hand, VES-TA. RIC III 788, RSC II Lucilla 92 (p. 234), BMCRE IV Marcus Aurelius & Lucius Verus 325 (p. 429) (ill. Pl. 58 no. 18), Sear RCV II 5493 (p. 370). Purchased from cgb.fr, 14 April 2024.

image.jpeg.b0d85dc0008bfa481b62750d924a5b0f.jpeg 

* See Jones, John Melville, A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (Seaby, London 1990), entry for “Simpulum” at p. 290: “the name for a ladle made of earthenware which was one of the traditional implements of the pontifices at Rome. It should be distinguished from a culullus, which was a drinking vessel.”

At this point, I will probably try to sell my first Lucilla on the Facebook ancient coins sales group (unless anyone here wants it), and won't charge more than I paid back in 2018, namely about $50 plus postage.

Lucilla (wife of Lucius Verus & daughter of Marcus Aurelius) AR Denarius, Rome Mint AD 164-66. Obv. Draped bust right, LVCILLAE AVG ANTONINI AVG F/ Rev. Concordia seated left, holding patera & leaning left forearm against statuette of Spes, CONCORDIA.  RIC III 758, RSC II 6a (p. 233), Sear RCV II 5479 (p. 368), BMCRE IV Marcus Aurelius & Lucius Verus 306 (p. 427). 17.1 mm., 3.4 g. Purchased on MA-Shops, 7 April 2018

image.jpeg.db26e088d30e92de2dfe6437300b68b9.jpeg

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 18
  • Heart Eyes 1

The Messenian town of Thouria for Caracalla c. 198-202

5335899_1711383268.jpg.0e2ebe8e0ed221e8e0b2c8ee7c92c2fa.jpg

AE23mm 4.63g copper-based alloy assarion
AV[...] ANTONINOC; laureate, draped, cuirassed bust r. seen from back
ΘΟΥΡΙ - [ΑΤΩΝ], Λ-Α; Tyche wearing mural crown standing left, phiale in right, cornucopia in left hand.
cf. BMC 7, BCD 833-834.6

Notes: Another Peloponnesos town with very similar coinage. The Λ-Α in fields could mean that at the time, the town was still a Lakedaimon dominion as it had been from the time of Augustus, when the emperor awarded it to Lakedaimon (Sparta) as punishment for Thourians siding with Marc Antony. The explanation stems from Pausanias (A Numismatic Commentary on Pausanias p. 65 - Pausanias IV, 31.1). The Tyche type seems to be minted for Severus, Domna, Caracalla and Geta Caesar -- as usual, at Thouria coinage is not known for Plautilla, implying a coining prior to 202.

• Like 17

Mark Antony - Denarius (Gallic mint, 43 BC) Head of Anthony on the right. - R/ Head of Caesar on the right. - Cr. 488/2 AG (g 4.12) Rude 4, 1979, lot 132.

These type coins were struck when Antony was in Gaul following his defeat at Mutina in 43 BC, and was the first type struck by Antony's military mint. However this type in particular was struck following the settlement in November 43 BC between Antony, Octavian, and Lepidus, in which the Second Triumvirate was formed.

xdd.jpg

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 2

Once again, after some deliberation, I clicked "buy" on a coin that I saw online. It should appear in the next few weeks. Given that, and until it arrives, this Justinian II Byzantine qualifies as "my latest ancient." Those of you who don't find Byzantines attractive will really not enjoy examples from the turn of the 8th century to the turn of the 9th. The quality decreases considerably overall and decent examples seem very difficult to procure. Even "okay" pieces demand higher prices. This Justinian II at least had a coherent portrait and a legible monogram on the reverse. For those who don't know, Justinian II remains quite a fascinating emperor since he served two non-consecutive reigns. After the first, the usurper, Leontius, had Justinian's nose and tongue slit before sending him into exile. This gave him the morbid moniker "Rhinotmetus" or "slit nose." A decade later, after a few captures and escapes, Justinian II returned, supposedly wearing a false gold nose, reclaimed the throne for the second time, and successfully overthrew those who overthrew him. It sounds like his vengeance utilized plenty of the usual Byzantine gruesomeness. A series of short-reigning emperors preceded and followed the carnage, making 8th century Byzantine coins some of the more difficult to navigate. My incoming purchase delves a little deeper into that murky numismatic century.

685_to_695_JustinianII_AE_Follis_01.PNG.5e5bb333fddbfad9cb0175e26ce58b72.PNG685_to_695_JustinianII_AE_Follis_02.PNG.26af402dc3aad90276b9ee48a62b2fd5.PNG
Justinian II (685 - 695), first reign, Æ Follis, Syracuse, Obv: Justinian II standing facing holding spear and globus cruciger, branch to right; Rev: Large M, monogram (Sear #38) above, C/VP/A to left, K/OV/CI to right, SCL in exergue; 25.34mm, 5.44g; Sear 1301

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 3