Terence Cheesman (kapphnwn)

Valentinian

It is with great sadness that I write to inform our forum that our member and my friend Terence Cheeseman from Edmonton, Canada, died Jan. 10, after a short illness. He was 72. 

His posts showed his expertise in many areas of ancient numismatics--especially the coinage of Alexander the Great. He always described his collection as assembled to help teach. You might recall his posts were illustrated by his high-quality coins photographed on a distinctive blue background. 

He had been downsizing his collection for several years. Some of the rest will go to Canadian academic institutions and much will be sold by CNG in the coming year. 

I will miss him. 

Edited by Valentinian
  • Like 5
  • Cry 41

• Valentinian changed the title to Terence Cheesman (kapphnwn)

That is extremely sad news. Terence was a very kind and selfless person. He insisted on giving a gift for Saturnalia every year but never wanted to receive anything in return.

I didn’t know him well but it was a pleasure to know him as well as I did. He will be sorely missed.

My thoughts and prayers will be with his family.

• Like 7

Very sad news indeed. Always enjoyed seeing his coins and learning from his excellent writing. Will be sadly missed on here, and even more so by his family & friends of course. Will be remembered by me for those beautiful coins on that distinctive blue background. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Di Nomos said:

Will be remembered by me for those beautiful coins on that distinctive blue background. 

To my recollection, I never had any private dealings or conversation with him, but I too remember seeing some lovely coins on a blue background.

• Like 4

• Benefactor

I'm very sad to hear this. We had many long conversations - usually by phone. He was always very kind and was an enthusiastic supporter of my work, always ready with new ideas. I'll miss him.

• Like 8

So very sad to hear this! I didn't know him beyond his activity here but he was very knowledgeable and had an incredible collection. I did not know he was ill. May he rest in peace. Prayers and condolences to his friends and family.

6 hours ago, Curtisimo said:

That is extremely sad news. Terence was a very kind and selfless person. He insisted on giving a gift for Saturnalia every year but never wanted to receive anything in return.

I didn’t know him well but it was a pleasure to know him as well as I did. He will be sorely missed.

My thoughts and prayers will be with his family.

I suppose I was the recipient this time. I will remember his generosity.

• Like 5

Very sad/ I always loved seeing his coins/ posts. I never met him in person, we lived in opposite ends of tthis vast Country.

He will never be forgotten, his soul is now in a better place with other legends of numismatics.

John

• Like 3

• Benefactor

What a tremendous loss. I never met Terence, but he invited me once to a lecture he was giving on Alexander the Great's coinage in Vancouver, BC. I declined because it was too much of a trek on a weekday, but I now regret it deeply. He was extremely passionate about the coinage and enlightened all of us with his thorough work. He will definitely be missed.

I can envisage him now having a discussion in a room of 4th century BCE mint masters, having every question he'd always wondered answered...

Edited by kirispupis
  • Like 9

This news hits me hard.

Even though I didn't know him personally, I always enjoyed reading his posts in the forum. He was very pleasant to deal with. He will leave a big gap here and I will miss him very much.

Not to forget his family, of course, where he will certainly leave a big gap as well. My regrets and condolences to the family and bereaved.

Dear Terence Cheesman (kapphnwn), I hope you are in a nicer place with all the gods of Olympus and can now talk shop with them about the beautiful world of coins!

• Like 3

• Benefactor

This is devastating news, and I'm so sorry to hear it.  Of course I always loved @kapphnwn's posts (and those wonderful photos). In addition, I  had the privilege of meeting him in person at the Jan. 2022 NYINC, and we had a very nice conversation. I will very much miss him, both personally and for his numismatic contributions.

• Like 3

This is very sad news indeed. I enjoyed reading Terrance's posts and seeing his coins. 

In the immortal lyrics of the Seikilos epitaph

Ὅσον ζῇς φαίνου
μηδὲν ὅλως σὺ λυποῦ
πρὸς ὀλίγον ἔστι τὸ ζῆν
τὸ τέλος ὁ χρόνος ἀπαιτεῖ.

translated on Wikipedia as:

While you live, shine
have no grief at all
life exists only for a short while
and Time demands his due

• Like 5

Over the past three years, I developed a close friendship with Terence. What started as direct messages on the old site evolved into regular phone calls. Not only have I gained valuable insights from his extensive knowledge of numismatics and history through our many conversations, but I've also enjoyed his sense of humour and our discussions about life. I especially enjoyed getting to meet him in person at NYINC in 2022, where I attended my first live auction with him and we inspected coins together on the bourse floor. I am also grateful that I had the opportunity to see him a week ago, have a long, meaningful conversation with him, and say goodbye. Terence's learnedness, enthusiasm for life, and warmth have had a lasting impact on me and many others. I will cherish our friendship forever. 

Thank you, Terence

• Like 11

Very sad news indeed. As other members, I enjoyed his posts, his knowledge and of course his fantastic coins. I hope the new owners of the coins will get to know who their previous owner was and appreciate the coins even more, so that he will not be forgotten.