Phil Davis' Top 11 coins of 2023 (so I can't count, so what?)

Phil Davis

• Benefactor

Yeah, I do understand that eleven > ten, but I won exactly eleven coins this year. It seemed churlish to exclude one of them. I know the year's not over and never say never and all that, but the chances I'll find anything else this year aren't large. Here they are, in chronological order by the date I obtained them:

1. Crawford 70/1:

image00117.jpg

2: Crawford 235/1c:

image00511.jpg

3. Crawford 259/1:

image00519.jpg

4. Crawford 155/1:

image00392.jpg

5: Crawford 496/3: 

image00208.jpg

6. Crawford 44/1:

image00416.jpg

7: Crawford 494/23:

image00152.jpg

8: Crawford 544/15:

image00173.jpg

9: Crawford 544/38:

image00178.jpg

10: Crawford 98A/3:

image00319.jpg

11: Crawford 110/1a:

image00324.jpg

If lightning strikes and I win something else in the next 18 days, I'll just claim my fiscal year ends December 13.

Edited by Phil Davis
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart Eyes 18
  • Mind blown 2
  • Shock 2

• Benefactor

Thanks everyone! Patently, I'm pleased with all of these or I wouldn't have gone after them, so I can't really point to a single favorite, but if anyone's curious, I do have a few thoughts... Intellectually, I know that my favorite "should" be #9. I'm sure I've looked at literally thousands of Antony's legionary denarii over the decades, either in person or at least in good photos. I can honestly say I've not seen another--not one--with this kind of detail on the eagle's breast. It must've been made about five minutes after the die was engraved, struck by a husky mint worker after a good night's sleep. I had to have it. (At least one other bidder saw it the same way; this was the most expensive of the group, by a fair amount.)  I'm certainly not sorry to include it in my collection--of course not--but somehow it doesn't "speak" to me emotionally or aesthetically the way I hoped it would. By those criteria, my favorite two are--just barely--#5 and #11. That's with today's eyes; tomorrow's eyes might well see things differently...

Edited by Phil Davis
  • Like 7

18 hours ago, Phil Davis said:

Yeah, I do understand that eleven > ten, but I won exactly eleven coins this year. It seemed churlish to exclude one of them. I know the year's not over and never say never and all that, but the chances I'll find anything else this year aren't large. Here they are, in chronological order by the date I obtained them:

1. Crawford 70/1:

image00117.jpg

2: Crawford 235/1c:

image00511.jpg

3. Crawford 259/1:

image00519.jpg

4. Crawford 155/1:

image00392.jpg

5: Crawford 496/3: 

image00208.jpg

6. Crawford 44/1:

image00416.jpg

7: Crawford 494/23:

image00152.jpg

8: Crawford 544/15:

image00173.jpg

9: Crawford 544/38:

image00178.jpg

10: Crawford 98A/3:

image00319.jpg

11: Crawford 110/1a:

image00324.jpg

If lightning strikes and I win something else in the next 18 days, I'll just claim my fiscal year ends December 13.

Impressive group of denarii 🤩! My favorites are #9, the gem grade legionary denarius, #7, the Apollo denarius struck on an oversize flan, & #3, with the great action scene on the reverse.

• Thanks 1

Fantastic additions! Your list made me burn my risotto, I could not stop looking... i really like your no. 9, it's just so crips, fresh, the details are fantastic. Also, the portrait of Mark Antony on your no 5 is very impressive. Guess these are my favorites. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Phil Davis said:

Sorry! But all's not lost. Just redefine the risotto as sizzling rice and call it a new approach to fusion cuisine!

Thanks for the suggestion. Fusion cuisine might be a bit too experimental for the kids, but stating I added some macaroni may help next time 😉

• Laugh 1

• 2 weeks later...