Secret Saturnalia 2022

Curtisimo

Io_Saturnalia.jpg.f14fbeef84088e811bf7e1939b74c2d5.jpg

The sugar rush from Halloween is over so it is officially time to get Saturnalia season kicked off.  This is a tradition that many of the regular posters here have been doing for years but this will be the first year here on NumisForums.  @JAZ Numismatics and I agreed last year to host in alternating years and since he hosted last year it is my honor to host once again this year.

I also plan to host Saturnalia on another forum and there may be some overlap if we have an odd number of people.  Most people here are posters on both sites so this shouldn't be a problem but if you would like to restrict your pairing to NF only please let me know in your PM.

Also, please help me keep this thread relevant with a periodic "bump" so that everyone who might want to participate will get a chance to.

Guidelines and Instructions

• Send me a private message with your name and address
  • After a number of people have sent PMs I will begin pairing up and I will respond to your message with the name and address of the person you will be sending a gift to.
  • The pairings will be random and anonymous.
  • The cutoff date for entry will be Dec. 2, 2022.
  • Saturnalia officially starts on Dec. 17 so try to get your gift out in a timely manner, especially if you are shipping internationally.
  • If you are willing to ship internationally please let me know in your PM.
  • In the past the typical gift has been in the $20 to $50 range..
  • Everyone who enters will get a gift.  If you haven't received a gift by Christmas please send me a message.

Io Saturnalia everyone!

• Like 13
  • Yes 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Clap 2

Yep I'm in....I'll send a pm this weekend....

Just to help bump this thread here's my gift from last year ( still don't know from whom?) Toning nicely in my display cabinet...20221022_200310.jpg.0bba468c78bab4669d4884c9f1d4ba43.jpg

20221022_200355.jpg.422cd8bed56b4a449df32fd16b145811.jpg

SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch. Gordian III, AD 238-244.
AR Tetradrachm, 28mm, 13.7g, 6h, struck AD 238-240.
Obv..Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev..Eagle standing facing with spread wings, head turned to left, holding wreath in beak. //SC
McAlee 862.....Prieur 279.

• Like 9

• Benefactor

Not sure why there aren't as many participants. I'm excited to participate this year. Last year I was too new to ancient coin collecting and was worried what to buy.

This year, I'm anxiously awaiting news on who I'm given. 

General question for those who have participated before:

I plan to examine past posts from whoever I'm given. Is it best to find something in his/her collecting area, or is it better to deliberately send something outside of it?

The challenge with purchasing within a collecting area is that - unless it's Hellenistic coins from 350-250 BCE, I'm unlikely to have anywhere near the knowledge of that person and, given the budget, I'll likely pick up something he/she already has.

If I purchase something outside of the collector's area, the risk is I'll send something he/she doesn't care for.

• Cool Think 1

26 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

Not sure why there aren't as many participants. I'm excited to participate this year. Last year I was too new to ancient coin collecting and was worried what to buy.

I plan to examine past posts from whoever I'm given. Is it best to find something in his/her collecting area, or is it better to deliberately send something outside of it?

The challenge with purchasing within a collecting area is that - unless it's Hellenistic coins from 350-250 BCE, I'm unlikely to have anywhere near the knowledge of that person and, given the budget, I'll likely pick up something he/she already has.

If I purchase something outside of the collector's area, the risk is I'll send something he/she doesn't care for.

I always try to get my giftee coins in their wheelhouse. I've been given coins outside of my collecting. And though I appreciated the thought it didn't make me start enjoying the type anymore. I'd rather have a duplicate of a type I like (and even if it's from the same dies I don't know that any ancient is a true duplicate) than a new coin that I don't. And I also like to give a few coins to spice up their holiday.

Here's one of my favorite portraits (and it's just a hair of the dog) that @bcudagifted me 2 Saturnalia back:

Screenshot_20201217-125226_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png.fe204788f32dcf23f9eb4ae05bbaff11.png

• Like 12

I imagine it will pick up as we go along. I’ve been getting a steady amount of PMs rolling in. Keeping this thread bumped will be a big help.

I posted this in the “General” section and I do wonder if we have people who only follow specific sub-forums who haven’t seen it.

22 hours ago, kirispupis said:

Is it best to find something in his/her collecting area, or is it better to deliberately send something outside of it?

I would say that there really is no “better” way to approach this as both strategies are good ones. I’ve received gifts that fall into both categories and have liked them all very much. I think it’s the spirit of the exchange that makes it fun more than the gift itself.

Edited by Curtisimo
  • Like 3
  • Yes 1

5 hours ago, kirispupis said:

In the few times I participated I never tailored the giveaway to what a person collected. Some times it's better to give something new to a collector & open new vistas. 

• Like 4

I personally feel that when you receive your gift it's quite "special" as it's been chosen for you, whether it's outside your collecting area or not, by a fellow collector probably whom you've never met...

I'll send something nice and hopefully interesting enough for the recipient to hold onto...

• Like 3

Does it have to be an ancient coin? I don't have many and those I do are pretty much commonplace compared to what the collectors here seem to have. I wouldn't want to be a downer.

( I got coal and onions when I was a little kid for Christmas one year and never got over it. ) I can come up with something else nice in the 20-50 range.

And by the way, you mention Jaz Numismatics. I have been trying to contact him. If you can relay a message, tell him to read his CT mail. Thanks.

Edited by thenickelguy

7 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I'm very Nero Wolfe-ish about going to the post office, as I really hate going there.  Can one do it the easy way, and have a vcoins dealer send it directly to the person? 

If I participate, I'd try to figure out what the recipient's collecting tastes are. 

If you’re in the US just schedule a pick up online on the USPS website and they’ll have no problem picking up the package you’ll be sending. Although if you don’t feel comfortable leaving it in your mailbox until the mail truck arrives then that’s understandable.

I’m in by the way @Curtisimo. Thanks for hosting again.

• Like 2

I'm in. I already have started perusing coins in that general price range, on vcoins.

It would be a help if when signing up, the giftee could provide a snippit about likes and dislikes, as I don't want to buy something which they would dislike. Also, large coins, small coins, silver, AE?

I'm more of an ancient coin omnivore, so I'm not too hard to please.

Thanks all who have sent in messages so far.  I will probably wait till the beginning of the week to do the first round of pairings to give folks a bit more time to see this thread.

On 11/4/2022 at 7:28 PM, thenickelguy said:

Does it have to be an ancient coin? I don't have many and those I do are pretty much commonplace compared to what the collectors here seem to have. I wouldn't want to be a downer.

( I got coal and onions when I was a little kid for Christmas one year and never got over it. ) I can come up with something else nice in the 20-50 range.

And by the way, you mention Jaz Numismatics. I have been trying to contact him. If you can relay a message, tell him to read his CT mail. Thanks.

This is a good question.  Secret Saturnalia has traditionally been restricted to ancient and medieval for this group but on this site we also have folks who specialize in world coins and I would not want to preclude them from participating.  I would say gift what you feel comfortable with.  If you are not sure it may be worth doing a bit of research on the post history of the giftee if you decide to participate.

Also, JAZ will periodically take breaks from forum participation.  I am sure he will be back around. I think he has a VCoins store presence and you could possible message him through there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It will be fun!

I'm possibly the only one going the direct vcoins route (saves me shipping it and it gives me the chance to send a nice coin which I have no attachment to), so (in one case) don't panic if an unexpected vcoins package comes in. 

To avoid disaster, I'm only choosing between the dealers whom I know don't take forever and a day.

On 11/4/2022 at 11:56 AM, Ryro said:

I always try to get my giftee coins in their wheelhouse. I've been given coins outside of my collecting. And though I appreciated the thought it didn't make me start enjoying the type anymore.

I'm of similar thought.  I'm always grateful for the coins which I receive on birthdays and Christmas, and 90% of the time they're a hit, but I remember one year where I got a Leo AE4.  While I was grateful for the thought, and it provided me a with a Leo (another box checked), it got tossed in a basket.  Ditto the Crispus. The good ones (like the Octavian-Julius Caesar heavy dupondius and the super-nice Ptolemy Tet) far outweighed the duds, though.  Even the 'duds' were picked with love.  The local coin shop probably had a cruddy selection that year.

However, outside the wheelhouse (within reason) can also work both ways. It could potentially be very neat and open new vistas of interest.  I prefer to play safe, however, in the coin which I give.  Assuming it is still there when I get the info, I already picked out one!  I've selected several backups, just in case.

My personal buys have been all over the place, as I'm an (ancient) coin omnivore.  About the only ancient coins which I have near nil interest in are small AE Ants and LRB's (and I'd define an LRB as post-Maxentius), save for the AE1's and AE2's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's what my Secret Saturn sent me last year. To this day I don't know who was behind SS. I got something very different from what I collect and am very pleased with my gift : it's mind opening and above all, someone put a lot of thoughts and love into giving it away

prutah-s-jpg.1422912

Q

• Like 11