Secret Saturnalia 2022

Curtisimo

Neat, Roman Collector and Limes!

Jay gives nice gifts.

The Pansa denarius will have to be my stand-in for showing today.

I can't wait for my SS to open the package :classic_smile:.  The fine folks at Forum saved Saturnalia.  Also, tomorrow's my Christmas so I'll have something to show.  We decided it would be wiser to exchange while the weather's ok.

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm interested to see the gifts of others.  There's an off chance that mine might come today. I heard the mail truck rumbling in the distance.  If it's on theother side of the street that means mine won't come until almost the evening.

Oh no! I'll have to wrap gifts today.  Perhaps the DVDs will go into gift bags:classic_biggrin:.

With my family, we pretty much know what we're going to get.  The coin is about the only mystery, and usually my favorite gift.

• Like 2

Well, I stand corrected in the very best way! The very best scenario happened:

I went outside to scope out the mail truck which I heard rumbling nearby, and there was a package next to the door.  So it arrived independently of the truck, probably some kind of special delivery.   And the mail truck went by...skunked again on my London Ancient Coins personal order. I think it's up to 3 1/2 weeks now, although it took a week to mail, so 2 1/2 weeks.

Inside the package...

The contents were festively wrapped, and chocolates and treats were included (nice!).  Also a note "read last", and I obeyed the instructions. I carefully opened the card gift box and extracted three coins. I wondered what they could be and went upstairs to the stronger light.  I ascertained that oneseemed to be a posthumous Hermaios, there's an elephant AE (my favorite of the lot).

I then read the very thoughtful note. My gifter explained about reading past posts of mine which expressed interest in Bactrian coins (which is true) and the note explained some about the included coins.

I went from being disappointed and feeling a bit left out to very satisfied and included.  It makes it all the more heartwarming that it arrived ON Saturnalia.  I extend a heartfelt thanks to my SS'er.  My favorite is the king on the elephant AE.   I also didn't have a Drachm of Hermaios solo.

The coins:

small AE: the note says ex-BCD Krannon, Thessaly

middle AE: Kushan coin with an elephant

I'm guessing the other is a Drachm of Hermaios, either posthumous or the provincial mints. The note adds, "They are ex CNG auction 443, lot 772." Anyone have a picture of that?

The note further adds that the chocolates are locally-made chocolates.  Very nice!

Due to my chronic inability to photograph coins well, I can't share photos. The coins are dark and would take a skilled photographer to photograph well.  I shall put the card in the special drawer where I store family cards.

Thank you again! I had no fear of being 'stiffed'. I thought that an overseas pair-up was the most likely explanation.

I had to wash my hands slightly before receiving the parcel so I can't handle the coins until later tonight. Thank you again! I offer a heartfelt thanks to my person.  I refrained from mentioning the name in case the person wanted to stay anonymous.

The package came from a region known for extreme snow so an extra thanks for braving the crummy weather! I myself am a snow wimp.

The weather outside is gray and ever so slightly snowy but the mood inside is now very festive. The circumstances under which the parcel arrived make it even more special.

One tiny suggestion for next year.  If possible, perhaps the selections could be made on October 1st instead of Nov 1st?  Mails are becoming more erratic and that would give overseas people more chance to have theirs come through. It would also give more time to plan.

Thank you to all who were involved in this process.  A double thanks because this is my first truly successful Secret Santa-esque event. I was badly stiffed many years ago at a work one, and that kind of gave me Secret Santa shellshock.

tenor_gif3149046937885913790_1978270150510867.gif.2fadd823882e7d2dbef5cb2ea2af60d9.gif

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
added happy gif
  • Like 5

I opened up my Secret Saturnalia gift today.

I am happy to say it is right inline with my collecting interest. I can also say I can add this coin to my collection and I did not have it but has been on my radar. I lived and metal detected in Spain for almost 5 years and that is the reason of my interest in Iberian and Roman coins. On a later deployment to Spain for 9 months I was able to have my Wife come over and went on vacation with Her for 10 awesome days visiting everywhere. One of the places I went to was Carmona and we stayed in a medieval castle there and went and toured the Roman ruins of Carmona and this coin if from that very exact place. Thank you for the gift Secret Saturn!

AE24 Spain Carmo, present day Carmona

2nd-1st century BC

Obverse beardless male head right

Reverse Carmo between two lines, grain ear above and below

23.36mm, 8.93 grams

2073301953_carmofront.jpg.660457415cca36aa35274b3bdb7da260.jpg

Edited by bcuda
  • Like 14
  • Clap 1

I opened my gift this morning and was so excited with what was in there!  I’ll post pictures when I get home tomorrow.

Thank you so, so much to the anonymous gifter!  You hit it far out of the park!

I hope my giftee enjoys their gift.  My brother and I went in on it together.  🙂

Erin

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Here is another gift from a Secret Saturn that has gifted me a coin two years in a row without them receiving anything back in return. I want to let them know that they really have put back the excitement of the holidays that I used to love so much as a kid growing up, I had missed that excitement for many many years and the last two have been as if I was that same kid with all that excitement again. I am so grateful for your generosity and I really do not know how to express how thankful I am for me being the lucky one, I am at a loss for words all I know to say is THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probus 276-282 AD

Silvered Antoninianus 

Obverse radiate, draped,and cuirassed bust right.

Reverse Felicitas standing left holding cornucopia and caduceus

3.87 grams Ticinum mint AD 276, RIC 359

probus front.jpg

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, bcuda said:

Here is another gift from a Secret Saturn that has gifted me a coin two years in a row without them receiving anything back in return. I want to let them know that they really have put back the excitement of the holidays that I used to love so much as a kid growing up

Considering your own generosity on display further up in this thread I think such an outcome is well deserved good sir.

Io Saturnalia to all! I am happy to see so much fun being had on account of this tradition. 🙂 

Edited by Curtisimo
  • Like 6

Yes, no matter what my gift turned out to be the most fun part of it was the giving. I  spent hours poring over Roman republican denarii within a certain price range.

My first choice (which sold right before I was paired up)

2075915367_MCippius115-14Denariussecretsantafailedidea.jpg.20a883925991e6963b6fe60b41b23e83.jpg

The failed attempt:

LFq43H9yWe5f2QjrL9kNKy7z8iAJRa.jpg.1f9b47a6a9e2c566d9b75ee9b31622b3.jpg

The success:

10248q00.jpg.3510557f33b3da99a08bd74818ec3b35.jpg

Any of the above would have made a decent gift but perhaps events worked out for the best. The failure of the first attempt left me little time to choose.  The Antiochus stood out to me of the Greek and Roman coins which I perused that day. The folks at Forum delivered it within c. 3-4 days.

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

I received my package a couple weeks ago and not-so-patiently waited until today to open it. I received a Probus coin and several uncleaned coins. My Saturn read my previous posts and saw that I had an interest in starting to collect Probus coins. Also, unbeknownst to my Saturn, I have always wanted to try cleaning coins for the experience so I am excited about that as well.

My Saturn did write me a note, but did not sign it. Hopefully they see this so they know I received them and enjoyed them! I had to rush off to work, but I'll try and get pictures at a later time.

• Like 9

My Secret Saturn hit it out of the park! They said they did not know if what they were sending fit with what I collect and said they found the coins they sent historically interesting. They sent me some LRBs and two beautiful Byzantine coins a Maurice follis and an Anastasius half follis. Unbeknownst to them I really enjoy Byzantine coins and especially coins of Anastasius so this fits perfectly into my collection of his coins. Thank you Secret Saturn!! 

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

Io!!! To a resplendent day 2 of Saturnalia! Many beers, bosoms, butts and whatever you desire await. Let's go get em!

902806470_Sat1-1f2d212(1).jpg.60efc4289a7bf32f31261c56056a2399.jpg

Speaking of, I recieved an amazing Saturnalia, twice this year!

My Saturn was simply incredible in their kindness, giving and research in what I would enjoy... and then some!

I'll be sacrificing many an animal (and maybe a few exposed children...too dark? Eh, but true to the times) in honor of my Saturn, @Shea19! Your incredible thoughtfulness is only overshadowed by your kindness and giving spirit ❤️

I have to share a few pics of just how amazing my first day of Saturnalia was.

I'll share the first letter but not the second. That's for me to have for to the amazing situation. 

Resized_20221217_141319.jpeg.8d91aadcdd4d0f537c368174d117363a.jpeg

I was given an amazing Tidyassus!😆 of one of my favorite sad story empresses (few weren't), Plautilla. I do love and feel awful for anyone that had to be around Caracalla for more than a minute, but she appears to have been beautiful... and incredibly connected having been the, former, best friend of Septimius, daughter. Before Septimius had him killed. 

The coup de gras being either the TIT to the left of our temple or the niple directly in the middle!

3443386_1666969674.l.jpg.36f81998e9c9da9ccff8a4ff58665740.jpg

Pisidia, Tityassus Plautilla, wife of Caracalla Bronze circa 202-205, Æ 22.40 mm., 5.53 g.

Draped bust r. Rev. TITVACCЄωN Tetrastyle temple, with serpent in pediment and containing central pellet. SNG von Aulock 5378. SNG France 2238.

And Saturn was 100% correct about me not having any Silverphthalmus! Amazing strike, centering, portrait, reverse. LOVE IT!!!

400739.l.jpg.3c1def388cf3a2c81466ae20691a5d33.jpgAlexander III ‘the Great’, 336-323 BC. Drachm (Silver, 19 mm, 4.18 g, 12 h), struck under Antigonos I Monophthalmos, Kolophon, c. 310-301. Head of youthful Herakles in lion's skin headdress to right. Rev. ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ Zeus seated left on low throne, holding long scepter in his left hand and eagle in his right; to left, Φ; below throne, AP monogram. Price 1828. Well centered on a broad flan. Toned. Very fine.

Here are some poor pics of the others. I'll post better ones when time allows:

1204370461_Resized_20221217_1422352.jpeg.84f240f1505466eed2e5263b22cbb982.jpeg1084108877_Resized_20221217_1422442.jpeg.feddadd5a093e43cf8ddf35f190c2ffd.jpeg

And Saturn sent a choice example of a coin I don't have of Antigonos Monophthalmus great great great grandson, Philip V! The second to last great king of Macedon, and some would say Perseus wasn't all that great;)

A beautiful rendering of Alexander astride Bucephalus that was probably minted under or for Severus ALEXANDER (hence him making all the rad ATG coins).

I'm struggling to figure out the countermark on Lysimachos... clover? But LOVE it and the lion. 

I cannot begin to find words to appropriately show my appreciation. So I'll simply say, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. 

And then....

Longtime coin and ancient pal @ominus1 surprised me with a Beeeeautiful real Greek vase, with arrow head included... probably one of the ones that shot Antigonos Ominus1phthalmos dead at the battle of, the battle of Ipsis, at the ripe of age of 80!

Resized_20221217_195127.jpeg.2b7c2324038050689a6bc4ea8f5b7c95.jpegResized_20221217_195026.jpeg.b10d4bfa43ae2f76a1d5befd5fdf98a4.jpegResized_20221217_195039.jpeg.435f38cdc5b1b2cb49e7335b068043e1.jpegResized_20221217_195048.jpeg.e3672479216180d8f24224fb6e4c88bc.jpeg

Thank you so much for your kind heart and gifts this Saturnalia!

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 9
  • Smile 1
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

Wow, very nice! They're all nice. I especially like the green provincial, middle top.

490984766_PhilipI-Sestertius-RIC166aAequitas2022XMASexSeabyresized.jpg.3682fa11a3019526d897c9129128dcdf.jpg

My family did our Saturnalia today.  Here's what the local coin shop had this year, a Philip Sestertius with a 1960s? Seaby envelope.  No slab, at least.

I put little effort into the picture (save for the editing, which takes forever) yet it turned out better than 99% of my coin photos.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday, I finally opened my Secret Saturnalia parcel, which had arrived from the Netherlands, and inside I found a small medieval coins as well as a lovely letter explaining the choice of gift. My Saturn really put a lot of thought into chosing this coin – I truly appreciate it!

The coin I got was minted for Wilbrand of Oldenburg, bishop of Paderborn and Utrecht. Wilbrand certainly is a fascinating historical figure, not the least because of his travels to the Holy Land in 1211/2, where he, together with Herrmann of Salza, did reconnaissance in preparation of the Fifth Crusade. Wilbrand described the journey in his Itinerarium sancte terre, a text that I, unbeknownst to my Saturn, know quite well from other contexts.

Suffice it to say that I very much like having a coin struck by Wilbrand. Thanks so much, Saturn!

619572104_Bildschirmfoto2022-12-19um14_08_17.png.51cb16804d917635bbaa83b8476a895b.png

Low Countries, Diocese Utrecht, under Wilbrand of Oldenburg, 1227-1233 AD. Obv: bishop facing with mitre, holding crosier and book; legend (WIL - BRAND) off flan. Rev: cross with three pellets at the end of each limb, one small pellet in each angle near the centre; legend (TRAIECTVM) mostly off flan.10mm, 0.42g. Ref: van der Chijs 8.1–2.

My own gift is still on its way due to a strike of postal workers in the UK. Hopefully, it will arrive before the 23rd!

• Like 10
  • Gasp 1

59 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I'm hoping that UK postal strike only started very recently, not 4 weeks ago.  Would that also include customs employees?

The strike, as far as I understand, started early last week. I’m not certain whether it includes custom employees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Any one else to go?  Curtismo, did you get yours?  I'm assuming you get one.  You should, you organized this.

6 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Curtismo, if you didn't get a Secret Saturn, PM me and I'll arrange something.

Very thoughtful of you Nero and i appreciate it 🙂 I normally don’t include myself in the SS exchange because it would be impossible to maintain the “secret” aspect of it but this year @Severus Alexanderand I decided it would be fun to have a separate exchange between the two of us.

I’ll be posting the results after Christmas 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Smile 2

This year, for some reason, @Curtisimo needed an "extra Santa" just because he had trouble making the pairing for Europe. I volunteered to participate twice which he kindly accepted. Since I had already ordered and sent out something for my first giftee, I had to quite quickly find something else so picked a coin out of my collection. That was fun, as I had to match what I collect to what my giftee does (Hope I did that right ...)

Anyway, maybe three weeks ago, I found in the mail an envelope coming from Spain , and waiting until the 17th (and even more as I was out of town until this afternoon) has been veeeery difficult.

Inside was a card with a depiction of roman mosaics and a very thoughtful note, but also, not one coin but two. I'm really humbled. Thank you Secret Santa (I have discovered who my Santa was, but I will let them disclose their identity should they be willing to)

0610-321.jpg.3cd610603e888f939c45d2f463f3f67c.jpg

Maximinus Daia, follis from Alexandria

0630-315.jpg.87db5d11ddcc9b5af060eaec1788bf00.jpg

Licinius I, nummus from Heraclea

Thank you again, and Io Saturnalia to all of you dear coin friends

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 11

50 minutes ago, Qcumbor said:

This year, for some reason, @Curtisimo needed an "extra Santa" just because he had trouble making the pairing for Europe

Indeed! Your generosity made the process so much easier and helped minimize the risk of cross Atlantic delays making a disappointing Saturnalia for someone.

You are definitely the MVP of 2022 Saturnalia.  Thank you my friend!!!

• Like 4