Secret Saturnalia 2022

Curtisimo

I would like to be a part of this awesome Secret Saturnalia again this year.

I agree with Ryro and Curtisimo if you do not know the member do some homework and search their threads they have posted, this will at least show you put some thought into your present.

I also agree with Nerosmyfavorite about some of the gifts got tossed in a basket I had a few like that. Because of that I always try very hard to make sure my giftee is not going to toss their gift into a basket.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to once again be a part of this awesome, generous and special Secret Saturnalia event! 

roman.JPG

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

It’s that time again... bump time!

Here is my SS present from last year. I still don’t know who my Secret Saturn was but let me take the opportunity again to say thank you! It is a lovely coin and the note that came with it was incredibly nice as well.  😃

724E46DE-5141-459A-BD49-DA04F97B0AA4.jpeg.86dbb1591e053f95d7a861b5a26e026b.jpeg

Cappadocia, Caesarea-Eusebia, 
Vespasian (AD 69-79)
AR Hemidrachm, Caesarea mint, struck AD 77/78
Dia.: 16 mm, 12h
Wt.: 1.6 g
Obv.: AYTOKP KAICAP OYЄCΠACIANOC CЄBA, Laureate head right
Rev.: Nike advancing right, holding wreath and palm frond
Ref.: RPC II 1659; Metcalf 17

• Like 5
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

4 minutes ago, Curtisimo said:

It’s that time again... bump time!

Here is my SS present from last year. I still don’t know who my Secret Saturn was but let me take the opportunity again to say thank you! It is a lovely coin and the note that came with it was incredibly nice as well.  😃

724E46DE-5141-459A-BD49-DA04F97B0AA4.jpeg.86dbb1591e053f95d7a861b5a26e026b.jpeg

Cappadocia, Caesarea-Eusebia, 
Vespasian (AD 69-79)
AR Hemidrachm, Caesarea mint, struck AD 77/78
Dia.: 16 mm, 12h
Wt.: 1.6 g
Obv.: AYTOKP KAICAP OYЄCΠACIANOC CЄBA, Laureate head right
Rev.: Nike advancing right, holding wreath and palm frond
Ref.: RPC II 1659; Metcalf 17

The portrait of Vespasian is a beauty. And who is gonna complain about a curvaceous Victory reverse. Very nice Saturnalia gift!

Man, I love this time of year, despite it being after Halloween. 

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 3
  • Yes 1

4 hours ago, Curtisimo said:

the note that came with it was incredibly nice as well.

I always like the note about as much as the coin itself, and why I prefer to get something from my Saturn themselves rather than them just having the seller send it to me directly (although I would still be appreciative of the gift regardless if this was the case, and I would understand if they couldn’t send it themselves due to life circumstances or something).

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ryro said:

The portrait of Vespasian is a beauty. And who is gonna complain about a curvaceous Victory reverse. Very nice Saturnalia gift!

Man, I love this time of year, despite it being after Halloween. 

It looks as though Vespasian is appreciating Victory's...ahem...assets 🙂

• Smile 1
  • Laugh 2

I'm absolutely in once more. In order to bump, here are my Secret Saturnalia gifts from the previous years. They became cherished and permanent parts of my collection.

A lovely Septimius Severus I received in 2019 from a very thoughtful Secret Saturn who found a coin that fits my collecting tastes perfectly:

266750535_RomSeptimiusSeverusdenarDeaCaelestis.png.849ae7c2b36fa3674d1c613b7da215b5.png

Septimius Severus, Roman Empire, AR denarius, 202–210 AD, Rome mint. Obv: SEVERVS PIVS AVG; head of Septimius Severus, laureate, r. Rev: INDVLGENTIA AVGG IN CARTH; Dea Caelestis, draped, riding r. on lion, holding thunderbolt in r. hand and sceptre in l. hand; below, water gushing from rock. 19mm, 3.32g. Ref: RIC IV Septimius Severus 266. Ex Marc Breitsprecher; ex Secret Saturnalia 2019.

A terrific early modern French coin that came from @Qcumbor in 2020:

880822311_FruheNeuzeitFrankreichHeinrichIIdouzain1550Lyon.png.fbc94caed7da83a2f6aec1d370382c23.png

Kingdom of France, under Henry II, AR douzain aux croissants, 1550 AD, Lyons mint. Obv: + HENRICVS 2 · DEI · G · FRANCORV · REX · F · (lis); crowned French coat of arms; to l. and r., crown above crescent. Rev: + SIT · NOMEN DNI · BENEDICTVM · 1550 · (lis); pellet below 12th letter; cross fleurée with H and crown alternating in quarters; D below. 27mm 2.46g. Ref: Duplessy 997. Ex Cucumbor (Secret Saturnalia 2020).

An extremely generous (and treasured) gift of three coins from an anonymous Saturn that arrived last year:

1181285882_GriechenMegarisMegaraAEProraundDreifuss.png.4a83034296d242657753ffbfa47eff3d.png

Megaris, Megara, AE dichalkon, ca. 275–259 BC. Obv: Prow of galley l. Rev: Tripod flanked by two dolphins. 12mm, 2.09g. Ref: BCD Peloponnesos 17; HGC 4, 1798. Ex BCD collection; ex CNG; ex Secret Saturnalia 2021.

1807808994_RomAnonymQuadransMinervaundEule.png.0f528900a7de64327fb41d34c19cd777.png

Anonymous, Roman Empire, ca. 81–161 AD, AE quadrans, Rome mint (?). Obv: head of Minerva r. Rev: owl standing r. 14 mm, 2.86 g. RIC II Anonymous 7. Ex Secret Saturnalia 2021.

718740732_RomFaustinaIIDenarVenus.png.dbdc24145e0e2173a526fa97d898cdbd.png

Faustina II, Roman Empire, AR denarius, 145–161 AD, Rome mint. Obv: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL; bust of Faustina the Younger, band of pearls round head, with hair waived and coiled on back of head, draped, r. Rev: VENUS; Venus, draped, standing l., holding apple in r. hand and rudder set on dolphin, which coils round it, in l. 18mm, 3.06g. Ref: RIC III Antoninus Pius 517C (denarius). Ex Secret Saturnalia 2021.

I'm very excited about this year's round of Secret Saturnalia and can't wait to find out who my giftee will be. Thanks a lot for once more organizing this, @Curtisimo!

• Like 12
  • Yes 1

On 11/4/2022 at 8:28 PM, thenickelguy said:

Does it have to be an ancient coin?

On 11/5/2022 at 10:06 PM, Curtisimo said:

This is a good question.  Secret Saturnalia has traditionally been restricted to ancient and medieval for this group but on this site we also have folks who specialize in world coins and I would not want to preclude them from participating.  I would say gift what you feel comfortable with.  If you are not sure it may be worth doing a bit of research on the post history of the giftee if you decide to participate.

I thought I had replied but I guess I never hit submit reply the other night. I totally understand, maybe next year I'll have something in the ancient or medieval area to gift.

I'll bow out this year, not a problem. Jaz does not answer my messages on eBay or Vcoins. Does not answer my CT inbox. I have tried numerous times.

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Another slight bump.

Just want to say again how excited I am to participate this year.

I'm a little worried that I'll get someone who collects Byzantines and I'll be the Jewish guy trying to figure out which coin with Jesus looks the best. 🙂 

As for me, I'm going with the same attitude I told my son for my birthday last year: whatever coin get me I'll enjoy because you bought it for me. 
Of course, he wound up buying me some sports cards instead... Please don't send me sports cards.

• Like 2
  • Smile 2
  • Clap 1

14 hours ago, kirispupis said:

I'm a little worried that I'll get someone who collects Byzantines and I'll be the Jewish guy trying to figure out which coin with Jesus looks the best. 🙂 

You can seldomly go wrong with a Year 12-14 Justinian follis.

I alotted half the budget of my bi-weekly buy to S.S. I'm bound and determined to send a nice one. Bummer, the one I bookmarked sold while waiting. I haven't checked the second choice yet.

Those gifts are nice, Ursus.

• Like 2

After Woody Allen-esque obsessing over two or three choices, I think I finally made my selection.  I hope my person likes it. 

It should be fun - a happy Saturnalia season to all!

I'm fine with most anything.  But..whoever gets me, if he or she could photograph the coin, if they have time, I'd be most grateful.  You know how I am with coin photography.  I want to post it and thank them when the time comes, and posting a blurry picture woud be lousy thanks.  We'll figure out the details at Saturnalia time.  If you don't have time to photograph it, no worries.

As someone who always tries to get my gift out as quick as possible, please make sure to put in this chat once you have your present(s). I once didn't find out that my giftee got their coins until 3 years later when they posted one of them in a chat!

Saturnalia: How Did The Romans Celebrate 'Christmas'? | HistoryExtra

• Like 5
  • Shock 1

I am currently looking for my SS Giftee's gift. I have a few in mind but dang if it isn't anxiety inducing!
I want them to enjoy it and for it to be a nice addition to their collection. 
I know that the tadpoles and I have always enjoyed our SS coins and I hope that this year's recipient does as well.

• Like 1

I’ve always thought that shopping for a Saturnalia present was really fun! If your giftee is someone with similar interests you can shop around with confidence.  If they have different interests you get to look closer at coins you might usually skim over.

Edited by Curtisimo
  • Like 2

I'm on the process of selecting something that would be OK for my giftee (fingers crossed). At the moment I'm narrowing it down to half a dozen potential canditates to the travel oversas...

Also, I have views on some coins that will be auctioned soon and might be more candidates !

Decisions, decisions.....

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 3

• Benefactor

Just got the shipping email that my selection is on its way! Of course, I couldn't resist adding two coins for myself, so I'll re-ship them myself.

I spent some time poring through coins trying to find the perfect ones. In the end, I managed to get two within the budget. They're of types that I would have bought for myself and been happy to own, were I to collect this period in history. From my giftee's posts, I believe that he does, so I hope he likes them!

• Like 2

Mine's also purchased.   My initial choice, which I fell in love with, sold, so I pored through all of vcoins' similarly priced selection of that denomination.  In many ways the replacement was nicer than the original, so I guess things worked out.

With my remaining budget I was able to pick up some bargain coins for myself.

• Like 1

I also thought of buying my recipient something new, but couple reasons stopped me- I've never used online shops to buy coins from an address that's not mine (so didn't want to mess it up), and also can't prevent myself from buying some more coins for myself! 

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Thought I'd relate something that just happened.

Package arrives. Similar size to most coin envelopes. I have to sign for it. What?
I look at the sender. Hey, I don't know this guy. Oh! It must be my secret Saturnalia!
I make a note of the sender. Who is that on NF or CT? I'll have to figure it out to thank him. Why did he send it sign on delivery?
Hmmm...The package is a bit thick. There's several coins in there? Wow.
I open the package and the receipt falls out. WTF! He spent how much! That's way over the budget!

Oh, yeah. These are the coins I bought from the last CNG auction. They came a day early...

• Like 1
  • Laugh 9
  • Gasp 1