Secret Saturnalia 2022

Curtisimo

30 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

Still nothing arrived at this end☹️

Hopefully before Xmas though🤞

I have faith that it'll show up. Two years ago I think...I don't know...it was during Covid lockdown times...I never received my SS gift. I still have faith that it will show up at some point 🙂

I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Like 2

That's terrible,  Spaniard.  I've never dealt with the Spanish mail so I have no idea of how fast it is.  I'm hoping it's just slow transit/customs.  With all the customs fuss that coin dealers have to go through I'm sure there's red tape at the border.

Mine showed up at the wire, which kind of made it more special.  The reasons for the delay were plenty good.  I myself barely got mine to my SS on time, and I started immediately.

I think my October 1 start suggestion would be good for next year. It would give plenty of time for planning and mailing.

Example, Germany: The two coins I've received via Deutsche Post took exactly 4 weeks.  My mom even independently mentioned it takes a month for letters to reach her.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 1:56 PM, Ryro said:

Speaking of, I recieved an amazing Saturnalia, twice this year!

My Saturn was simply incredible in their kindness, giving and research in what I would enjoy... and then some!

I'll be sacrificing many an animal (and maybe a few exposed children...too dark? Eh, but true to the times) in honor of my Saturn, @Shea19! Your incredible thoughtfulness is only overshadowed by your kindness and giving spirit ❤️

I have to share a few pics of just how amazing my first day of Saturnalia was.

Ha, I'm very happy you enjoyed these so much!  When shopping for Ryro, I figured I couldn't go wrong with Tityassus...and when I saw that this coin actually spelled out the name of the great city, I knew that it belonged in your collection.

I also had a great Saturnalia this year and received two excellent Greek bronzes from my Saturn.   I've been out of town for a few days and made the mistake of forgetting to take pictures of the coins before I left, but I'll be able to post my gifts tonight. 

Some great gifts all around this year!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1

I just received earlier today a second parcel with Saturnalia gifts, and am blown away by the generosity of my Saturn Santa : Couldn't take pictures today because of work obligations, but I found no less than a Croc (Type IV Nemausus dupondius), a scyphate byzantine (that I have yet to identify with a tremendous dark green patina to it) and a 1921 Morgan dollar, all of which were enclosed in a Christmas card with some very kind and nice words !

Io Saturnalia

Q

• Like 5
  • Mind blown 2

I was so pleased to receive my Saturnalia today, a beautiful and interesting coin that  fills a gap in my collection.

Thank you to my Secret Saturnalia!  Not sure if I should name my Secret Saturnalia but he knows who he is.

It was posted from France on 8th December and although it missed Saturnalia, as indeed so did the coins I sent, it turned up despite the postal strikes in the UK.

Severus Alexander (222-235), AR Denarius, issued 226. Rome, 3.01g, 19mm. Obv: IMP SEV ALEXAND AVG; Laureate and draped bust right, seen from behind. O...

Severus Alexander (222-235), AR Denarius, issued 226. Rome, 3.01g, 19mm.
Obv: IMP SEV ALEXAND AVG; Laureate and draped bust right, seen from behind.
Obv: Annona standing left, holding grain ears over modius and cornucopia.
RIC IV 133; RSC 23.
Excellent example of a die clash; the ghostly image of Severus Alexander’s profile is very clear, upside down and to the right of Annona.

The coin raises the point for me that I should be considering die clashes in future when examining coins and I will be looking at my coins over Christmas.

Thank you and Io Saturnalia !

• Like 10
  • Clap 1

Io Saturnalia! And so sorry I’m so late with posting my gifts. I was traveling, and then unfortunately my whole family caught the flu, so we’ve been out of commission for the last few days…ughh, it’s been quite a week.

My Saturn did an amazing job and got me two beautiful Greek bronzes.   He was very thoughtful and saw that I like Greek mythological types, and picked out two excellent ones for me.  He’s also a great photographer, and was kind enough to take these photos of the coins for me before shipping them out:

15728E54-3207-4360-8CD7-2DF821F6FA8C.jpeg.bc2921f8196c5f4c0425195e8a21763b.jpeg

9E5F9D84-952E-469C-926F-B7C577D72ABB.jpeg.06aae7152356c609f93746cda40fb195.jpeg

(and my photo with the ID tickets)
E5874024-075D-46CB-98B3-AC9C35B815C9.jpeg.e2e04a092014bab72e58dd113a307c40.jpeg

The first coin is from the Aitolian League, and has a great Herakles/club reverse, and a lovely Athena on the obverse.  My wife and I had actually visited this region on a trip to Greece a few years ago and loved it, so I’m very happy to now have my first coin from there.

The second coin is a fun little bronze from Thessaly with a very cool reverse with Poseidon holding a dolphin.  And…it has an excellent pedigree, my first coin from the BCD Collection!

A HUGE thank you to my Saturn, @kirispupis!  Io Saturnalia and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Edited by Shea19
  • Like 13

And here are the incredible coins my second SS sent me !
Yes, that wasn't just one coin but three, and with some very kind words accompaigning them

First a beautifully toned Nemausus dupondius with nice reliefs and a full croc on the reverse, which is not so common

0030-413.jpg.444bdc0dc8ef69a98d957ef352865398.jpg

Then an interesting, yet mysterious to me, scyphate byzantine coin :

byz-06.jpg.9c52d3d55ad048e3382d9240c47a48a8.jpgbyz-06-relief.jpg.03a28b04dfacf4777ad95c83709df860.jpg

And to finish with a Morgan dollar. Not something completely worn you would find in a junk bin, but a beautiful one with little wear and a lot of luster to it

USA-Morgan1D-1921b-2.jpg.e6d27f7d3a24396268c8bf6ef1781dc4.jpg

Thank you very much to both my Santas 🙂 

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 11
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Happy belated Saturnalia to me! 

I just got back from my vacation today and rushed to my post office to get the mails, my gift has been sitting there for nearly 20 days!

Anyways, my secret Santa had gifted me a couple of lovely ladies- Roma and Marianne.

623489734_IMG-4721(1).jpg.a4e6d7bab98bb94c045a89c4fa1c3468.jpg

In regards to the coins, the denarius with the beautiful obverse and toning featuring Luna riding a Biga was issued by Furius Purpurio (169-158 BCE, 3.87 g). I actually wanted a coin featuring the Murex shell that I nearly bought this type at a coin show, however I swapped it for a Dioscuri type at the last minute, so one more target completed.

And the French 100 Francs sits perfectly within my French sub collection! https://www.cointalk.com/threads/french-collection-every-form-of-government-since-the-bourbon-dynasty.369181/

I assume my secret Santa is  @Qcumbor, if not correct me wrong, if so thank you very much!

Happy New Year everyone!!

• Like 10
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 1 month later...

Yes for sure.... But I don't know who he or she is?....Plus I think the postal strike is probably over now?..I really don't know...At the end of the day there's nothing I can do at this end as I'm working completely blind...I'll wait some more and see if he/she contacts me?...🤷‍♂️

• Cry 1

17 hours ago, Spaniard said:

Yes for sure.... But I don't know who he or she is?....Plus I think the postal strike is probably over now?..I really don't know...At the end of the day there's nothing I can do at this end as I'm working completely blind...I'll wait some more and see if he/she contacts me?...🤷‍♂️

Contact Customs in Madrid. A client sent papers from UK to our office but didn't affix the green customs label to the package. It sat in Madrid for 3 weeks till we realised what had happened. So if your gifter sent a small package without the label and not a standard envelope, because of Brexit, it is possibly stuck in Madrid.

Edited by expat
  • Thanks 1

@expat...Thanks, that's interesting. 

Just wondering if you've had similar experiences of post from outside the EU..

1...I purchased 4 coins from India which arrived after 2 weeks!...Token and related Indian customs forms stapled to the package as always..I have to pay 5.75€ Import tax per package!

2....Same scenario from the US..1 coin...Import tax 6.55€!

3...The last coin I received from the UK with green declaration....Cost me 13.75€ Import tax!

Note ...You have to pay the tax in CASH and give your email where a receipt of payment is sent within 5 mins....

Hence I no longer buy anything outside the EU my exception is India as it still works out in my favour even with the tax..

I have no idea if my sender sent a normal letter envelope (I hope)..Or a small packet?.....

I'm really busy with work at the moment and don't really want to start chasing packages...I'll see if in a couple of weeks, when hopefully my workload decreases, I have the enthusiasm to chase it..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaniard said:

@expat...Thanks, that's interesting. 

Just wondering if you've had similar experiences of post from outside the EU..

1...I purchased 4 coins from India which arrived after 2 weeks!...Token and related Indian customs forms stapled to the package as always..I have to pay 5.75€ Import tax per package!

2....Same scenario from the US..1 coin...Import tax 6.55€!

3...The last coin I received from the UK with green declaration....Cost me 13.75€ Import tax!

Note ...You have to pay the tax in CASH and give your email where a receipt of payment is sent within 5 mins....

Hence I no longer buy anything outside the EU my exception is India as it still works out in my favour even with the tax..

I have no idea if my sender sent a normal letter envelope (I hope)..Or a small packet?.....

I'm really busy with work at the moment and don't really want to start chasing packages...I'll see if in a couple of weeks, when hopefully my workload decreases, I have the enthusiasm to chase it..

Anything from outside the EU, unless it is normal letter post has an import charge in Spain. The UK attracts an import charge of over double that of anywhere else. When I get coins from USA or Canada, I always tell the sender to protect them well and send through normal post. Never had any go missing or received damaged, so far. Obviously doesn't apply to ancients from a dealer who possibly has to apply for an export license before sending and insists on only sending with tracking number etc.

• Thanks 1