I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

• Benefactor

Geeez ... I figured that I'd better play a tune with a lil' bit more meat on the bones after that last one ... 

Ummm, how 'bout Ozzie before he was an actor??

CARIA, Idyma. AR Hemiobol (below)

5th century BC

Diameter: 8 mm

Weight: 0.44 grams

Obverse: Land tortoise with segmented shell

Reverse: Leaf, pellet

Reference: SNG Ashmolean 228; SNG Kayhan 1627 = CNG 72, lot 803; Klein 522

Other: 11h … toned, slightly granular, reverse off center. Very rare

Ex-stevex6

Caria Idyma Tortoise.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 4
  • Cookie 1

• Benefactor

ISLANDS off IBERIA, Ebusus. Æ Quarter Unit

2nd century BC

Diameter: 17 mm

Weight: 3.28 grams

Obverse: Squatting Kabeiros, holding hammer and serpent

Reverse: Bull butting left

Reference: ACIP 719; SNG BM Spain 318-21

Other: 3h … brown patina

Ex-stevex6 (now a TIF coin?)

Islands off Iberia Ebusus.jpg

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

Sorry, I've fallen-off the wagon and I'm tossing-back a few vinos (my bad)

Ummm, but what the fa ... before I crash, I'm gonna play you an ol' favourite of Zumbly's ... 

Ionia, Teos AR Hemidrachm (below)

Obverse: Griffin

Reverse: Kantharos, magistrate name across, lyre right

Date: 4th cent. BC

Diameter: 12.8 mm

Weight: 1.3 gr

Other: Chocolate toning

Ex-stevex6

Copy of griffin a.jpg

Copy of griffin b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Laugh 1
  • Popcorn 1

4 hours ago, Steve said:

Ex-stevex6 (now a TIF coin?)

Islands off Iberia Ebusus.jpg

Ol' Captain Caveman is safe and sound with me.  I'm really getting a kick out of seeing you posting your old coins again, btw. Rock on, brother! 😀

2139436290_PHRYGIAHierapolis-AE17Selene-Hekate4485.JPG.21555140f7879722ec2a831166cc6490.JPG

PHRYGIA, Hierapolis
AE17. 4.95g, 17.4mm.
PHRYGIA, Hierapolis, pseudo-autonomous, circa 3rd century AD. RPC IV.2 temp no. 2032; SNG Cop 419-20; BMC 19.
O: Draped bust of Selene-Hekate right; behind shoulders, crescent.
R: IEPAΠOΛITΩN, Winged Nemesis standing left, plucking chiton, holding bridle.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor

Zumbly wrote => "Ol' Captain Caveman is safe and sound with me.  I'm really getting a kick out of seeing you posting your old coins again, btw. Rock on, brother! 😀"

Aaaaaaah, so it was you that bought that cool Kabeiros coin, eh? (I knew it was one of my ol' best-coin-friends that snagged it ... congrats, it's a real winna-winna!)

Have a good one, Z-Bro

Ooooow, my head hurts

😜

Edited by Steve
  • Like 2

Couple of deniers of the seigneurie (/barony, but that sounds so, well, English) of Vierzon, on the upper Loire, between the counties of Blois and Sancerre (both dyastically associated with Champagne).  Just landed the later example.  From the US, with easy-peasy shipment, and correspondinglyly unattributed as the driven snow.  (Nope, I'm sure the seller got his money's worth.)  Both variants (along with two others) are dated by Duplessy to 'vers 1150-1200.'

image.jpeg.ba51bfd13716df5d675f7382667bb029.jpeg

image.jpeg.90872174939ff3c8476cec28060f8ce4.jpeg

Obv.  Stylized flower; to either side, what Duplessy describes as 'deux fleurs de lis.'  But I have to wonder whether the pierced annulets at their tops comprise part an attempt to represent an actual flower ...of some kind or other.

Rev.  Cross; +VIRSIONE.  (Duplessy 623.)

Here's the one I just got.  The main variations are the fleur de lis at the top of the obverse flower, and the fleur and annulet in the angles of the reverse cross.  (Dup. 626.)

image.jpeg.7bb62891d8223f35272572f86681b7d0.jpeg

image.jpeg.86efe211a7f90bba90a3650db50a5f5e.jpeg

...Which has me thinking of flowers, and needing some James Blood Ulmer.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 6

On 6/15/2022 at 9:07 PM, Steve said:

21 hours ago, zumbly said:

Now is when I truly don't know what the hell is going on.  Because when I looked at @Steve and @Zumblyus posts, as above, the first things my shit I saw were the Jelly-Roll Morton and French baroque I'd posted that dumbly long ago.  Whatever.  --Never argue with anyone --or, that much more emphatically, any Thing-- stupider than you are.  You will Always lose.

Anyway, what follows is my initial response.

LOLNo, I don't understand your musical tastes --any more than I'm supposed to-- but it was fun to see people citing some of the music I like ...in whatever capacity.  (And, No, ditto, except, conversely.)

...For anyone with a little leftover passive-aggressiveness, about Anything, there's always this.  (...Except, I Dare you not to Like the reigning one; at the distance of a smallish ocean and most of a continent, I never can't.)

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Mr Lydon & PIL played in Dublin last week and unfortunately I couldn't go - found out about it too late 😞

A classic tune needs a classic coin. so here's an owl - I need to take a new photo' of it.

Kroll 8, came from CNG in 2014 - would be cheaper today 🙂

spacer.png

ATB,

Aidan.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

Now is when I truly don't know what the hell is going on.  Because when I looked at @Steve and @Zumblyus posts, as above, the first things my shit I saw were the Jelly-Roll Morton and French baroque I'd posted that dumbly long ago.  Whatever.  --Never argue with anyone --or, that much more emphatically, any Thing-- stupider than you are.  You will Always lose.

Anyway, what follows is my initial response.

LOLNo, I don't understand your musical tastes --any more than I'm supposed to-- but it was fun to see people citing some of the music I like ...in whatever capacity.  (And, No, ditto, except, conversely.)

...For anyone with a little leftover passive-aggressiveness, about Anything, there's always this.  (...Except, I Dare you not to Like the reigning one; at the distance of a smallish ocean and most of a continent, I never can't.)

Hmmm... now I'm the one lost!  Neither Steve nor I quoted your posts.  Software glitch?  😕

Anyway, that Pistols video does bring me back.  Here's one I've always enjoyed, with Sid doing vocal duties. 

Artuqids doing Byzantine their way...

120304939_ARTUQIDSKayfa-Fakhral-DinQaraArslanAnonymousA4462.JPG.63ef9a33a63ff980de0f5864d5656eba.JPG

ISLAMIC, Artuqids of Kayfa & Amid
Fakhr al-Din Qara Arslan

AE Dirhem. 3.35g, 23.9mm.
Hisn Kayfa (on the Tigris) mint, circa AD 1148-1174. Spengler & Sayles 1; Album 1820.1.
O: Nimbate bust of Christ Pantokrator facing, wearing tunic and pallium, holding book of Gospels in his left; around, traces of legend.
R: Legend in Kufic naming the laqab of Fakhr al-Din Qara Arslan and his ancestors three generations back.
Notes: Rare issue; obverse type copying Byzantine Class A follis.

• Like 5
  • Clap 2

Yeah, @zumbly, I think it was my machine demonstrating more symptoms of dementia.  I gotta get out the door, but now I'm wanting some Clash.  ...I want one of those Artuquids!  It would be a great complement to one of my Norman Sicilian folles; same Byzantine prototype, different Arabic legend.

• Like 2

This coin features Lysimachos's wife, Arsinoe II, the daughter of Ptolemy I and Berenice. Lysimachos divorced Amastris to marry her and then bequeathed to her all the territories that had belonged to Amastris! She then brought about the murder of her stepson, Agathocles, the elder son of Lysimachus by his first marriage, to secure the succession for her own children!

In her honor, Lysimachos renamed the city of Ephesus to Arsinoeia! This was struck there.

[IMG]
Arsinoe II, wife of Lysimachus, born c. 316 BC.
Greek Æ 15.5 mm, 4.16 g, 12 h.
Ionia, Ephesos (as Arsinoeia), c. 290-281 BC.
Obv: Head of Arsinoe, r., veiled.
Rev: Stag kneeling l., head r.; ΑΡ-ΣΙ flanking stag's neck; magistrate's name ΜΕΛΑΙΝΕΥΣ before; Astragalus in upper r. field.
Refs: BMC 14.56, 72 var. (magistrate); SNG Cop 258-59 var. (magistrate); Forrer 14.

• Like 6

• Benefactor

JeandAcre stated "Yeah, @zumbly, I think it was my machine demonstrating more symptoms of dementia.  I gotta get out the door, but now I'm wanting some Clash"

=> here ya go, coin-brother

LESBOS, OBOL  

500-450 BC

Diameter: 9 mm

Weight: 1.05 grams

Obverse: Two boar heads confronted (or one panther head)

Reverse: Incuse square
Refereence: SNG Cop 287

Other: awesome graphics by TIF

Ex-stevex6

Lesbos Two boars confronted TIF.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

You're posting a lot of great coins & tunes, Gandalf 

Hi

Here is another ol' winna for ya ... 

PAMPHYLIA, Side. Gallienus, Æ 11 Assarion

253-268 AD

Diameter: 30 mm

Weight: 14.25 grams

Obverse: Laureate and draped bust right above eagle standing right, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; IA obliterated by c/m of Є within circular incuse

Reverse: Athena standing facing, head right, holding spear and [thunderbolt], with shield at side; pomegranate to left

Reference: SNG France –; BMC 104; for c/m: Howgego 805

Other: 6h … brown surfaces

Ex-stevex6

Pamphylia Gallienus.jpg

• Like 6

This old tune reminds me of my college sweetheart.

I bought this one from Jonathan Kern decades ago. Remember his ads in The Celator?

Julia Paula Concordia seated Denarius Antioch.jpg
Julia Paula, AD 219-220.
Roman AR denarius, 2.83 g, 18.6 mm, 6 h.
Rome (some attribute to Antioch), AD 220.
Obv: IVLIA PAVLA AVG, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
Rev: CONCORDIA, Concordia enthroned left, holding patera; star in left field.
RIC 211; BMCRE 317; Cohen 6; RCV 7655; CRE 449.

• Like 7

On 6/21/2022 at 7:40 AM, Roman Collector said:

I bought this one from Jonathan Kern decades ago.

He still has a shop here in Lexington but does not do as much as he used to.

2851080_1652500374.jpg.d66c29bea4b3bc0f2bf7c6674d37f6b0.jpg

Pisidia. Baris. Severus Alexander AD 222-235. 4.2 gr

Edited by AncientOne
  • Like 6