I think we need our own 'Post an Old Coin and and an Old Tune' thread

JeandAcre

• Benefactor

Here is another classic from my drug-influenced youth ... 

Ziggy Stardust | David Bowie - Bing video

=> how 'bout a psychedelic APius ... 

ANTONINUS PIUS Æ DRACHM, ALEXANDRIA

151-152 AD

Diameter: 34 mm

Weight: 27.15 grams

Obverse: AYT K T AIL ADP ANTWNEI NOC CEB EYC. Portrait head with laurel wreath to the right. Perlkreis

Reverse: Tyche with Kalathos (A kalathos is a vase in the form of a top hat, used to hold wool or fruit, often used in ancient Greek art as a symbol of fertility. The kalathos has traditionally been interpreted as a fertility symbol, reserved for goddesses or their priestesses) on Lectisternium (Lectisternium, is a religious rite of ancient Greece and Rome marked by the placing of images of gods on couches and the spreading of food before them) laden with garland resting, holding a rudder in her right hand

Reference: BMC 1077 var.; vgl. Dattari 2892

Other: Beautifully colourful tones (even better in hand)

Ex-stevex6

Antoninus Pius AE Colourful.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 8

Yeeha!..Thanks to our resident high tech advisor @SteveI've managed to upload a video.🙂 (I hope?)..Thanks Steve

Here's a common coin...

Constans, 337-350 AD. AE Follis (1.70 gm, 15mm). Antioch mint. Struck 337-347 AD.
Obv.: CONSTANS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev.: GLORIA EXERCITVS / SMANI, two soldiers standing facing each other, each holding inverted spear in his outer hand and placing his inner on shield set on ground; between them, signum. RIC 47. gVF.

common.jpg.9ae634ba8763dea2c92c0f880d1c4398.jpg

• Like 7

normal_Faustina_II_7.jpg.64c4b5c2c2cbd83de50b38282b9aa145.jpg

Faustina Minor
AR-Denar, Rome, AD 161-175
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust right
Rev.: FECVNDITAS, Fecunditas standing right holding scepter in right and infant in left
Ag, 3.55g, 18.2mm
Ref.: RIC III 677, RSC II 99, BMCRE IV 91, CRE 176 

• Like 9
  • Yes 1

Thanks, @Steve, for the Clash (...dang, I've been criminally negligent with this thread).

Here's an obole of the Lusignan counts of La Marche (and Angouleme). Promise you, especially thanks to the module (14 mm), it's better in hand than the dealer's pics.  Some coins just aren't made to cooperate with the medium.

image.jpeg.dc7713df2309f77dc4be83f80c4d2a8a.jpeg

Obv. (from 9 o'clock:) +VGO COMES MAR

image.jpeg.666f05534f085b0ddae47529381c7596.jpeg

Rev. Cross, +LODOICVS ENGOL[ISSEME] (riffing on immobilizations of the late Carolingian, Louis IV, from the neighboring county of Angouleme).

Duplessy 961.  Traditionally attributed to Hugues XI, but dated 1249-1260.  A nearer chronological match to Hugues XII, who succeeded in 1250, after his dad died (a year into his comital reign) on Louis IX's first crusade.  No. XII went on to die on Louis's second crusade in 1270.  ...Some day, I want to tell a Middle Eastern Muslim, 'Congratulations on the Crusades.  You kicked our ass.'

And I'm needing some old-timey funk up in here.

• Like 7

Dig those sideburns!!! Here's Gordian III trying to grow some.

1428223010_GordianIIIMARSPROPVGNATSCsestertius.jpg.48a54b12888cf2b39d889bbfc6499db7.jpg
Gordian III, AD 238-244.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 22.88 g, 30.7 mm, 1 h.
Rome, 6th officina. 13th emission, January-February AD 244.
Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: MARS PROPVGNAT SC, Mars advancing right, holding transverse spear in right hand and shield on left arm.
Refs: RIC 332a; Cohen 157; RCV 8718; Hunter 148; Banti 52.

• Like 7
  • Cookie 1
  • Clap 1

How about this old tune and this old coin?

By the Adriatic waters Venetian sons and daughters
Are strumming a new tune upon their guitars.
It was written by a Latin, a gondolier who sat in
His home out in Brooklyn and gazed at the stars.

E41C8D94-74FD-4E09-B064-ED47D0D7ADC9.jpeg.88bddfede9e4bea4266390295cce9497.jpegC5C04327-586A-4A58-9907-DC00797320CA.jpeg.75d2b5dceaae11675c040d21960909de.jpeg

Edited by Etcherdude
  • Like 6
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

Yah, apparently I'm sipping beers and playing old Alice Cooper tunes (arrggghh, summer daze)

Ionia Teos Gryphon.jpg

Ionia, Teos AR Drachm

375 B.C. Hagnon, magistrate

Diameter: 16 MM

Weight: 3.4grams

Obverse: Griffin seated right, raising forepaw

Reverse: Quadripartite incuse square with granulated quarters and thick crossbars; ZHIΩN on horizontal crossbar, AΓ-NΩN on vertical crossbar

Reference: Kinns 11; SNG Copenhagen 1443

Other: 6h, Sweet, sweet toning

Ex-stevex6

Edited by Steve
  • Like 6

• Benefactor

Sorry, for my tune-mood ... this'll probably be my last effort for the night ... 

EGYPT, Alexandria. Saloninus. As Caesar

BI Tetradrachm

AD 258-260

Dated RY 7 of Valerian I and Gallienus (AD 259/60)

Diameter: 22 mm

Weight: 13.00 grams

Obverse: Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust right

Reverse: Eagle standing left, head right, holding wreath in beak; L Z (date) across field

Reference: Köln 3005; Dattari (Savio) 5377; K&G 93.8

Other: 12h … even brown surfaces. Rare

Ex-stevex6 … From the Robert M. Harlick Collection

saloninus.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 6
  • Yes 1

@Roman Collector's Mungo Jerry had to remind me of this tune.  Here's a denier with a couple of crescents (and annulets --maybe suggesting a full moon?).

image.jpeg.cd5ebcc2eeef5a0575c9fc407babbed8.jpegimage.jpeg.15a8bad19d79f91dc43d1b477f3618af.jpeg

La Marche.  Hugues IX and Hugues X, Counts 1199-1219, 1219-1249. 

Obv. +VGO COMES [annulet].

Rev. Crescents and annulets around a central crosslet. +MARCHIE [and another annulet].

Duplessy 960, variant (annulet in the obverse legend).

And here's the tune I needed, right, with special thanks to @Roman Collector.  ...Partly to commemorate the first party I've been to since Covid, just last week.  The music ran more to East Coast hip-hop (where Funk, as an ingredient, is alive and well), and, um, kind of louder than this.  Except, you have my solemn word and bond, the vibe was effectively identical.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

@Roman Collector's Mungo Jerry had to remind me of this tune.  Here's a denier with a couple of crescents (and annulets --maybe suggesting a full moon?).

image.jpeg.cd5ebcc2eeef5a0575c9fc407babbed8.jpegimage.jpeg.15a8bad19d79f91dc43d1b477f3618af.jpeg

La Marche.  Hugues IX and Hugues X, Counts 1199-1219, 1219-1249. 

Obv. +VGO COMES [annulet].

Rev. Crescents and annulets around a central crosslet. +MARCHIE [and another annulet].

Duplessy 960, variant (annulet in the obverse legend).

And here's the tune I needed, right, with special thanks to @Roman Collector.  ...Partly to commemorate the first party I've been to since Covid, just last week.  The music ran more to East Coast hip-hop (where Funk, as an ingredient, is alive and well), and, um, kind of louder than this.  Except, you have my solemn word and bond, the vibe was effectively identical.

My wife’s favorite tune, and by the original...

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

Man, listening to tunes before I go to bed and then listening to tunes first thing in the morning! (I need to get a job!)

... or not!!

=> have a great Sunday, coiners!!

Oh, and below is a little coin-avenue I stumbled-down once upon a time ... thanks to TIF for the presentation and Ed Snible for finding me the last cool piece of the puzzle

Pontos TIF AegisTray-Edited2.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 6
  • Smile 1

Suddenly, it's feeling like time for another foray into this.  ...How are you (everyone, anyone) doing with the heat?

Rimage.jpeg.209cbed15d10b87bb7464bd1d707bfe4.jpegimage.jpeg.3b7cbd7a1521c98fde1601e1b35b0d96.jpeg

Romanus III, anonymous follis.  I like this one for the understrike on the obverse.  Have yet to have a guess about the operant issue, but I'm a fan of Byzantine overstrikes generally, for the ensuing esthetic weirdness.  It almost looks like a more cerebral, correspondingly Byzantine equivalent of the hand of God touching Adam's, in Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel murals.

Here's some of the Bob Marley that was originally released on 45s in Jamaica.  It took the Tuff Gong rerelase, in a boxed CD set in the early '90's, for the likes of yours truly ever to have heard it.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 7

I've had this one a long time.

[IMG]
Livia, wife of Augustus, and Julia, daughter of Augustus.
Roman provincial Æ 17.2 mm, 3.44 g.
Mysia, Pergamon, 10 - 2 BC.
Obv: ΛΙΒΙΑΝ ΗΡΑΝ ΧΑΡΙΝΟΣ, draped bust of Livia as Hera, right.
Rev: ΙΟΥΛΙΑΝ ΑΦΡΟΔΙΤΗΝ, draped bust of Julia as Aphrodite, right.
Refs: RPC I 2359; BMC 15.139, 249; SGI 213; SNG Copenhagen-467; Vagi 370.

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor

THESSALY, Thebai, AR Hemidrachm 

Early 3rd century BC

Diameter: 15 mm

Weight: 2.52 grams

Obverse: Veiled head of Demeter right, wearing grain wreath

Reverse: ΘHBAIΩИ, Protesilaos right, holding shield and sword, and stepping off prow of galley to left

Reference: BCD Thessaly I 1347 corr. (same dies; retrograde И not mentioned); BCD Thessaly II 758 (same rev. die); HGC 4, 30 (same dies as illustration)

Other: 12h … toned, some granularity

Ex-stevex6 … From the BCD Collection

Thessaly Thebai AR Hemi.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 7
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

image.png.b27a880703499b6e7e0b2ab5163f497e.png

Ummm, date-night was a success (well, in the eating category anyway) ... despite the dude in the background wearing socks and sandals, the night has been a success so far ... 

=> I hope that your coin-nights are going well as well ... cheers

Oh, and then we came home and there was this => a storm/rainbow ... again, so far this has been a sweet night!!

7.jpg

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir (Live from Celebration Day) (Official Video) - Bing video

Nero AE As

Obverse: NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P - Bare head of Nero, globe at point of bust

Reverse: S-C, Victory advancing left, holding shield inscribed S P Q R.

Date: 65 AD

Diameter: 28.4 mm

Weight: 11.3 gr

References: RIC 477

Ex-stevex6

nero.jpg

nero2.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 9
  • Smile 1

We haven't had any Rory Gallagher here yet - here with Gerry McAvoy, Lou Martin and Rod de'Ath. 

Or this, a bit later:

Here's a coin that came today from a recent Naville auction - "I have enough Piso Frugi denarii"... said no one, ever 😄

fAmcJnkLSiSWMrmS4a2Wazy8-KVwAPPGKhyt3RTkL2lkwtJ-RWg9VACL9lMXlqK4Bksr65xvToJGiGkZ537w_qXYLMeizIsttHGIrIk51GDZWtyVbvHc2pTRk0H56TzSSU8N7zmqloIEJRABWpw0s3OyHubreQxec-EjK5p2Y1NEbMHUKw4aTKjxIDdFtRp6Ny8lTJfjzl6vM8NzJVsXPEEyagzj1DJYMTP435KSwOHeUZkOuMhWh-CX0vdac4jFif4j4XoN6ERo-cWtIYXttx3Pr8C3taI1st-QcObIuLOFY1C-6G8oj_Kils-6UvVSWMKclYN7-sLkG29AJMbUCrZvlyaj3OZeyCvQNaKtWwD2_pp5sYTKXcDXtJ2-dYxZsl3jy-jA6K9gENoZxtdlgqmF8m2UpmyXpZ4yKWQ5LoYqBvQVREIYihzMS9u-z-YMW0_X6HYughCxTqsWTX9OWLMOM8EVcSaffAwwF66dbp3_1ALOrZE3HYeDGSgs__KEoeQ6dw0u4saZm_IFnaMV3-NhcMHF9Fxs2rm5VFAX5r8zCCH6EkuGOL2eGC1VL1APMeVpUQhuTOZe8VjiRwB_xg19r22eDaqdAy3s4xhBsBwKS8DFeZ7RK9vVcLJRD7IoHaggUYkwpJawP285Gooo7Z7XAKMzWUPgvgA5uJX6iBsFK8lWpCkgpyHZDPYIvL9bFKubzRt8nYEKWVqnESEGEkSOOwK_2C_lmz_8z87g0wHgzcHSqFm-7RdCMHzPBB0=w1788-h1823-no?authuser=0p_2VdU83rXvnRxcKqEmKOZ2WB5jBcJ9JXGyEGRJ0T6qRvPnO8B7BOhixCON40feJgnfNlEo3PituacaQwOJRPA-7Dm4duq6FKiieM1AMs7lrmVaNaNgZDtnhBn2K9zWulHBKxsxJm82ZrKQauMobVthEmOx8PxZ5kN6ht2feJ_Af6zHQ3xKspkc-HMOiouDwvaW2HNXjauiZ1AqszxteZ6uZrLEsNRoFEeIKOrzmxD6efBqPNhvmMb1J1CJ0q2_jByTfZw6ezv3k4-c0CT5saX0X82QEK730TLEM7MBwaYA8OoRasxDTxfw7mqaG_tLrlleKwt-nZjTPj5cN3f-lrD0_Njtw52jvLrqZkbeKcPzPpNO_aE6yHf4xnjjm1MTkr0H266JNNe41Jv6mci3ml98HcHySoESXoHVqqAL8ErCUoxiOYc8KTxspoxolGEUEdcJBGMLeEwFU6zy1HX16urz8e9uGXMiQy-WyiSUQ3EFK6Ix3j8BtElvtsqhhdsNKTFmQjqcQGg2kuUDWkPhqawwj5kI372QuSB6T_lypBATlG041DLgCx4oRFC3Rn8zsffNW0YyCTplgip4A8K051pQKI8-VrG9ub4gi6yf7WhHJJjJ4ZSSM7SqwTONvJB2o6X37ldhvMQ_1B7LWvTGGe_muGXm_j6jXqSw2SoFCINyQZ2W8950KYbGSEJ1oKgEZtWm6rjw3ytXGYoT7wX7y6PqqARNmVc2JjwdEtjlaKU7c-SYOkG8o0PELYQgEkeQ=w1815-h1823-no?authuser=0

From the auction description:

C. Calpurnius L. f. Frugi. Denarius circa 67, AR 17.50 mm., 3.92 g.
Head of Apollo r., hair bound with fillet; behind, fractional sign. Rev. Horseman galloping r., holding palm-branch over shoulder; above monogram and below, C·PISO·L·F·FRVG. Babelon Calpurnia 24. Sydenham 851f. C. Hersh, NC 1976, 304. Crawford 408/1b.

Attractive old cabinet tone, About Extremely Fine/Good Very Fine.

Privately purchased from M.M Basel. From the E.E. Clain-Stefanelli Collection. Ex Naville sale 35, 2017, 542. From the M.N. Collection.

It came with a tag from M&M and I got it for slightly less than its 2017 price, which isn't a bad result in 2022 🙂

ATB,

Aidan.

• Like 4
  • Smile 1

I'm sorry, after watching my posted video, I had to delete it. A little too hot for some people I bet.

(Red Hot Chili Peppers) Give it away now.

So I have to replace it with something else.

And the only old coin I have to relate at the moment is a 1790's English Conder Halfpenny.

post.jpg.68033c0467c5eace821262e9b91d9eab.jpg

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 5

• Benefactor

Here's a cool ol' tune from my favourite party-band ... Bon Scott was still breathin'

AC/DC - Walk All Over You (Official Video) - Bing video

Cilicia, Tarsos AE22

Circa 100 BC

Diameter: 22 mm

Weight: 9.78 grams
Obverse: Turreted head of Tyche right, Countermark: Radiate head of Helios right (CM: Howgego 11? Hierapolis Phrygia circa 50AD)
Reverse: "TAPSEWN" Pyre of Sandan in the form of a pyramid, Sandan on a horned-lion within
Reference: SNG Levante 951ff

Ex-stevex6

Cilicia Tarsos countermark.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 5

I'm Needing the Rory Gallagher.  One very cool white kid in my junior high school turned me on to the LP, 'Tattoo'd Lady,' which I eventually needed a copy of.  The shit he can do with slide guitar has to remind me of that slide player who was in the Stones, for that same, early '70's minute, who went on to smaller and better things.  But it's that much because of his  playing that for me, 'Exile On Main Street' will always be the apex of the Stones' artistic achievement.  (...Right, they also had help with, um, just a horn section that kicked stuff all over the block.)

...Meanwhile, I just won this.  Warning: this will be a serious shift of gears, numismatically and musically.  

2927016_1654178072.jpg

Directly from the lot description:

Judaea. Hack-Silver. AR Shekel.
Early means of payment.
Weight: 13.14 gm.
8th-4th century BC.

With cordial thanks to Alan DeShazo for the link, ...well, here's the link.  https://www.biblical-coins.com/hacksilver-one-quarter-shekel-5-gerahs/

I started wanting one of these from reading Jeremiah chapter 32, where the prophet buys an expensive ancestral field, while (1) he's imprisoned by the king of Judah; (2) the  Babylonians are about to sack Jerususalem; and (3) it's not a rosy picture, economically or on any other front. 

...Just for the prose, I have to prefer the translation of the Tanakh from The Jewish Publcation Society, 1st ed., 1985.  Otherwise, I looked at the one that calls itself --at summary risk of redundancy, if not oxymoron-- the 'New Revised Standard Version.'  

But what I really need is Jeremiah's willingness to trust what he perceives as the direction of a Very, Very Personal, Emphatically Pre-Western God.  --As in, Toto, we aren't in Aristotle anymore.  ...I need the so-called Old Testament precisely for how the personal nature of God comes across, over and over.  Like I need the Gospels for how demonstrably literate Jesus is, especially in the Prophets.

...Right, the music.  This is Marion Williams, from the old Bill Moyers documentary on PBS.  You really need the video.  Watch her tear it up.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 6