Covid

DonnaML

• Benefactor

I can hardly believe it, but after almost exactly four years, I finally have Covid.  I really kind of thought at this point that I'd escape it indefinitely. But no!  I started feeling sick with a 101.5 degree fever and bad cough and runny nose Monday night -- 72 hours after I went to a play at the new Performing Arts Center at the WTC complex, my first time at the theater since the pandemic began, so it may or may not be a coincidence -- and tested positive twice this morning. I've already started on Paxlovid. (I just love that metallic taste!)  I figure that it could help, and isn't going to make things worse, so it's worth trying. Because I really don't feel well, and naturally I'm concerned given my age and underlying health issues.

Anyway, I have a few new coins to post, but it may be a while before I feel well enough to write them up, or post about anything else. 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 5
  • Cookie 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Cry 21
  • Shock 3

• Benefactor

Sorry to hear that, Donna.  I dodged it too until last year. I feel that these days it's not so bad as it once was. Not great of course,  but I hope that after a day or two of fever, you'll be over the worst.  Fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear! I got it a couple years ago, and it was about the same as you describe - 101+ temp, sore throat, congestion, etc. What @rNumis says seems to be the case though, it's gotten milder over time, so hopefully it won't stick around too long for you. Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Gesundheit, Donna. I had it a few times, most recently in 2023. I'm not sure if it's the same strain now, but aside from fever, the strain from 2023 was particularly hard on my mood and psyche, probably because of the fatigue and drowsiness. So, whatever you do, if you feel like bad thoughts circle you these days as you struggle with the physical symptoms, treat them as symptoms too and try to keep them at bay if you can't just chase them out. I hope you recover soon and completely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Yes 2

Wow, Donna.  Right, lately, relatively reliabale news sources have been saying that more recent strains of COVID resemble the flu, even as they've been emphasizing how nasty the flu can get.  (1918, anyone?)  Just, Please, Don't Let Up taking the Very best of care.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hope you start feeling better soon!
I, as well as most of my family, has managed to avoid getting it yet. I don't know how considering I have 3 kids in school...but I'm not complaining!
I caught the swine flu back in ~2010 and it was miserable. I never want to be that sick again.

Looking forward to some more coin posts when you feel better. Take care!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Get well soon!

There is never a really good time and place to get sick, but my timing and placing was particularly bad. I caught Covid in late January 2022. I was in Irkutsk (Siberia) and the war between Russia and Ukraine had just began. Access to cash was diminishing fast and the journey back home through Russia and Finland was quite the adventure.

• Like 1
  • Gasp 5
  • Mind blown 3

12 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Because I really don't feel well, and naturally I'm concerned given my age and underlying health issues.

There is an antiviral medication that I really like prescribing: Paxlovid.

There is an indication if symptoms started less than 5 days ago and the person has any risk factors for a severe course of the disease.

In general, there are no side effects to be expected. But Paxlovid can have interactions with many other medicaments, especially blood thinners or statins. Blood thinners would have to be replaced with other medicaments while taking it and statins would have to be paused.

In my personal experience, it works very, very well. If I remember well, studies say that it prevents 80% of severe courses of the disease. 

Unfortunately, in Switzerland, the price for Paxlovid went up from $150 to $1150 since 12/2023…

However, if you‘re worried and if you have symptoms since less than 5 days, then I think that it‘s worth calling your doctor to ask for a prescription.

No advertisement here - I just worked in a geriatric hospital during a year and I have prescribed it quite often. And in my experience, most people don‘t know that there is a medication for COVID.

Edited by Salomons Cat
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Unlike during the first 18 months of the pandemic, most people I've seen with Covid lately, even though some of them are old and/or have health issues, went on the up quite quickly. I haven't sent any patient to the hospital due to Covid in months.  Some have a  bad cough for a few weeks though.

Hope you get well soon @DonnaML

Q

PS : The only time I got a documented Covid was right after my journey back from the USA in october 2022 ... and I didn't have to pay any import tax back then 😄 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I wish you a quick recovery. 

I got Covid in September last year. Now idea how as I usually don't stay very close to people. Only possibility - in public transport (I rarely use it anyway as I work from home and I buy all I need from shops near my house). 

It was a Sunday afternoon, nice weather so I went out for a little walk. In the middle of the sidewalk. Suddenly I felt extremely tired, with an acute headache. I just felt the need to lay down. I reached home as fast as I could (and this was very slow) and in the next 7-8 days I experienced Covid - but in a mild form. 

Fever - 38.5-38.7 Celsius (so ~101.6 Fahreneit - but I will never be comfortable in using this scale). General diziness and slight difficulties in concentrating. Head ache. Muscular ache. And lots of sweating. I literally changed my shirt 6-7 times a day. 

I used normal cold/flu medicine but I was keeping a close eye on the symptoms. 

My immune system is usually pretty strong when it comes to getting a cold/a flu. Actually I never had a flu in my life until this event. 

For me there were no side effects - my taste and sense of smell were never lost. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I can hardly believe it, but after almost exactly four years, I finally have Covid.  I really kind of thought at this point that I'd escape it indefinitely. But no!  I started feeling sick with a 101.5 degree fever and bad cough and runny nose Monday night -- 72 hours after I went to a play at the new Performing Arts Center at the WTC complex, my first time at the theater since the pandemic began, so it may or may not be a coincidence -- and tested positive twice this morning. I've already started on Paxlovid. (I just love that metallic taste!)  I figure that it could help, and isn't going to make things worse, so it's worth trying. Because I really don't feel well, and naturally I'm concerned given my age and underlying health issues.

Anyway, I have a few new coins to post, but it may be a while before I feel well enough to write them up, or post about anything else. 

The most important thing is - get healthy again Donna. I wish you all the best with all my heart and that you will soon be fit again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes I wonder if it was worth getting the two Fizer Covid 19 shots when they first became available 🤔I was sick for a week after the 1st shot with dizziness, nausea, & headaches, but the 2nd shot a month later wasn't as bad. After the first two shots I vowed to get no more Covid shots. This year I did get a Flu shot & was sick for two days, not taking into account the localized area in my left arm that was painful for a week. I later learned that I was given a double dose of the vaccine because of my age 😲. Does this really make any sense? Now I'm having my doubts about getting anymore Flu shots 🤨...

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20230207/The-safety-profile-and-the-actual-known-adverse-effects-of-COVID-19-vaccines-in-at-risk-and-healthy-individuals.aspx

Edited by Al Kowsky
added info
  • Like 2

• Benefactor

Thanks to all of you. I had a supply of Paxlovid delivered yesterday (free for people like me who are on Medicare), and have taken two doses so far. Fingers crossed that it helps me get over this faster. It does indeed cause a metallic taste in my mouth, but it isn't too severe, and I think it's a small price to pay if it does something for me.

• Like 7
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Hope you feel better soon, Donna.  I caught it for the first time last month.  Symptoms were mainly fever, chills, tiredness and a little coughing. Fortunately, it was relatively mild and I was feeling better in a few days, thanks to Paxlovid and the updated Moderna vaccine from last November.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1