Our member Severus Alexander is OK

Valentinian

As you may recall that last February our member Severus Alexander informed us he was seriously ill with cancer but his treatment appeared to be having some effect. I noticed he had not posted since October and wrote him about his health. Today he responded "I’m still kickin’ just very low on energy. Hoping for a turn for the better soon," and "If you can reassure our friends on Numisforums I’d be grateful!" 

Consider yourself reassured. 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 11

• Benefactor

Thanks for letting us know, @Valentinian.

@Furryfrog02, like you, when I saw the post title, my immediate thought was "Oh, no." So I am very relieved to learn that @Severus Alexander is "still kickin," and hope he feels well enough soon to stop by here again.

I'm also a bit concerned about @JAZ Numismatics. I know that he hadn't been well, and he hasn't visited this forum since last summer. 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 8

@Valentinian was the master of suspense with his phrasing. 

With my interest in aspects of Severus Alexander coinage, especially the early and the very late, I am thinking of our colleague a lot lately. Especially when I enter a new S. Alexander arrival in my notes or do a write-up here. Glad to hear about him and I hope he'll be back in the saddle soon.

• Like 5

I can offer Severus Alexander & anyone else who is undergoing cancer treatments some firsthand advise, stay positive & determined to achieve a complete recovery. Last November I was declared cancer free after my battle with prostate cancer 😂. My treatments began with drug therapy followed by radiation therapy, at which point I was presented with a bill of $51,000.00 that my medical insurance refused to pay 😧! The medical team from the University of Rochester covered that expense 😃.

IMG_1284.JPG.b0ac2bec54acc6e08080d92227840da6.JPG

The radiation therapy was followed by a difficult surgical procedure that involved three doctors implanting 30 miniscule radioactive needles into the infected area of the gland. My recovery from the surgery, with the help of friends, was slow, painful, & successful. The bill for the surgical procedure was also paid for by the U of R Medical Team 😍! If I can beat cancer anyone can 😉.

• Like 17
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

Good Zeus above. I see that I am not the only one that was frightened when reading this post title. It feels like a very dark, "Made you look!"

@Valentinian I appreciate how you told us that Terrence Cheesman had passed, but please make the title of your posts less ominous. How about, "Our pal Severus Alexander sends his regards". And not Our member Severus Alexander...

Anyways, lots of love and well wishes to @Severus Alexander. You are one of my biggest inspirations for collecting ancients and cannot wait to read more of your posts soon!

May the bust of my new Artemis keep you warm all through the winter:

image.png.879960366662e7b45c195bf63e4e25d6.png

CAPPADOCIA. Caesarea. Trajan (98-117). Drachm.

Obv : ΑΥΤΟΚΡ ΚΑΙС ΝЄΡ ΤΡΑΙΑΝΟС СЄΒ ΓЄΡΜ ΔΑΚ.

Laureate and draped bust right.

Rev : ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ЄΞ ΥΠΑΤO ς.

Bust of Artemis left, holding spear and patera.

RPC III 3026; Sydenham 198.

Condition : Nicely toned.Good very fine.

Weight : 3.33 gr

Diameter : 18 mm

• Like 11
  • Yes 1

I've been wanting to write for the last few weeks and days to see if anyone knows why Severus Alexander is no longer so active here. I noticed the lack of his great posts.

Now I understand why.

This are bad news. I wish Severus Alexander the necessary strength and a speedy and good recovery! All the best and love.

• Like 5

Glad to have good news from Sev. I'm thinking of him almost everyday since I visited him in september 2022 while touring British Columbia and Alberta with my wife. We had planned a day together to have fun, eat somewhere out and discuss coins (of course). Unfortunately he'd been admited to hospital two days before our arrival, so the whole thing turned into a short visit in the hospital patio. That was great anyway, Sev is a very nice human being and we wish we had more time together. He promised he would visit us in France in return .... Sev, you know you have to go through all that mess and keep your word !!

😄 Q

• Like 10

• Restitutor changed the title to Our member Severus Alexander is OK
  • Benefactor

Having gone through a couple of bouts with the garden variety of skin cancer, basal cell, the issue of dealing with such a thing does take a toll both physically and psychologically, and I certainly hope that Severus Alexander has a full recovery and cancer-free future.  

D-CameraAthensnewstyletetradrachmCaduceusrev.164-5BC17.0g8-23-20.jpg.c92fdf3f6c6bc41f9fce5ffd41d594f1.jpg

• Like 10

I'm still quite new here - it might well be that Severus Alexander doesn't even know me. But I really like his posts and coins and I already wondered where he might be. 
It's metastasized basal cell carcinoma, stage IV and terminal. He told this here. I'm really shocked to hear about his illness. And I hope that the current therapy works well.

Here's my most recent coin, Severus Alexander with Jupiter in heroic fighter pose hurling a bolt of lightning.

image.jpeg.99bfb29c24401820a72da16e2d92a455.jpeg

I wish all the best to Severus Alexander and his family!

Edited by Salomons Cat
  • Like 7

It's heartwarming to see our community rally together to offer our well-wishes and prayers. Sev means a lot to all of us. 

The Hippocratic oath begins with an oath to the healing gods Apollo, Asklepios, and Hygieia. May all the healing deities of the divine realm bring healing and comfort to our friend, @Severus Alexander.

[IMG]
Troas, Alexandria, 3rd-2nd c. BC.
Greek Æ 13.5 mm, 2.20 g, 11 h.
Obv: Laureate head of Apollo, right.
Rev: AΛEΞAN above horse grazing left, monogram beneath, thunderbolt in exergue.
Refs: Sear 4028; BMC 17.10,18-20; SNG Cop 81-82; SNG von Aulock 7546.

[IMG]
Severus Alexander, AD 222-235.
Roman Provincial Æ 27.2 mm, 8.75 g, 6 h.
Marcianopolis, Moesia Inferior, Legate Um(brius?) Tereventinus, AD 226-227.
Obv: AVT K M AVP CEVH AΛEZANΔPOC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: HΓ ȢM TEPEBENTINOV MAPKIANOΠOΛIT-ΩN, Asklepios standing facing, head left, holding serpent staff.
Refs: AMNG I 1027; Moushmov 696; Varbanov 1685 (same dies).

[IMG]
Gordian III, with Tranquillina, A.D. 238-244
Roman provincial AE 4.5 assaria, 12.80 g, 28.2 mm, 7 h.
Moesia Inferior, Tomis, A.D. 241-244.
Obv: AVT K M ANTΩNIOC ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC // CABINIA TPA / NKVΛΛINA, confronted laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian right and diademed, draped bust of Tranquillina left.
Rev: MHTPOΠON-TOV TOMEΩC, Hygieia standing right, feeding serpent from patera; Δ< (ligate) in lower left field.
Refs: AMNG I (Pick) 3534.

• Like 6